main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reference The Game Designer's Group

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Imperial_Hammer , Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    So, I wanna comment on both games in short. First to Chukles. To be true, whatever I can say about it, I am unsure if it is true . . . it is so unique in it´s approach, it might work or not. Might be a Masterpiece or simply not work out . . . I think any prognosis is little more than a guess. It is simply one of these games you will need to try . . .

On Wheel of Time . . . I don´t know if anybody feels attracted to it in this form who is not very familiar with the franchise. The opening does not make very clear what the world of Wheel of Time is like and I think you will need to do a long, explaining post about that world, if you wanna make it work. Which is never a bad thing. Some pics to give us a visual feel could also be good.
    So actually turn that into an "extended development" submussion of characters might not work. Because people will be frustrated with knowing so little. Different then SW games or my SotS where I will use a similiar technique, the anchor is missing. The link of the player to the world. I think providing that one and then allow them to create characters within a certain class system might be much, much more accessible to players. Storywise and the idea of GM-Player-Shared Knowledge about the goals of the character . . . that is very nice. Could be very interesting RPing, but if you wanna get that one in the air (and I believe you can do it with great usccess) it will be very, very, very workintensive when it comes to the world.

2. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Last Stand - a Tale of DUNE

[blockquote][i]"Novebruns had been a world without much importance for most of the existence of the Imperium, but in the wake of Paul Muad'Dib Atreides' ascent to the Imperial seat, it became a rallying symbol - not of support for the new regime, but rather for its opposition. Our relatives the Mutellis dug in deep, opposing even my mother's decisions...and the Mutellis paid dearly. Novebruns was destroyed, and their House was squashed nearly to a head. Those that survived lived out the rest of their lives on Tupile.

[image=http://www.topnews.in/files/Earthlike-planet.jpg]

"The true lesson of House Mutelli's destruction is not, however, that the power of the Atreides is unopposable - this even my wife will admit. The lesson is that even a God King can be shaken."[/i]

[b]- Harq al'Ada[/b][/blockquote]
    [hr]

A year has passed since Shaddam's reign collapsed at Arrakis, and Muad'dib's jihad has set fire to the Known Universe. Mutelli, a Minor House beneath House Corrino, has until now ruled a full half of the planet Novebruns; after Paul Atreides' ascension to the throne, the other half was purchased for a fist full of spice. On their world, the Mutellis began to harbor their cousins and allies - not to mention legions upon legions of the now defunct Sardaukar, warrior fanatics loyal to the Corrino dynasty.

Without their loyalty, the forces of the jihad had no choice.

[image=http://www.flagshag.com/smaller/europecoats/Finland_Coat_of_Arms.jpg]

This is the story of the fall of House Mutelli.
    [hr]
    Welcome to [b]Last Stand ? a Tale of DUNE,[/b] set in Frank Herbert?s [i]Dune[/i] universe, after the events of the first novel, when Muad?Dib?s jihad is sweeping the Imperium. Players will be asked to take up the roles of those affiliated with the doomed House Mutelli - family members, soldiers, allies, and agents.

[b][u]House Mutelli[/u][/b]
    A minor house closely related to the Corrinos, the Mutellis wielded great influence not only in the Minor House synods, but in the Landsraad councils as well. Until now most of their importance has been as armorers, but after the Atreides rise to the throne they have been an outspoken opponent of Paul Muad?Dib?s policies and his war.

But not all members of the House are against Muad?dib, though their political support or religious devotion may not be overt?

[b][i]Novebruns[/i][/b]
    The planet Novebruns, which has recently come entirely under the control of House Mutelli, is a temperate planet, still young enough to be short on native terrestrial life and extremely rich in ore, close to the crust. The Mutelli have lived on the planet for centuries, holding the secrets to their mining techniques and alloy creation close to the chest. Their armor is sought after, and very expensive.

On the surface, however, the planet is quite green, quite healthy. Most citizens live an agrarian lifestyle ? there are few large cities outside of Filippo, which is named after a founding member of the House and the location of the Mutelli palace.

[b]THE RULES[/b]
    The Rules (Lifted Largely from R_Zion )

Preliminaries:
    - Please PM your character sheets to a GM to be approved before posting.
    - Please try to keep solely OOC posts after the start of the game to a minimum. If there?s something that needs to be addressed, add it onto an IC post or send a PM.
    - No One Liners!
    -The Dune novels are complex works. As such, we expect a high level of writing. To quote Climperoonie from his "Obscure: Dark Bloom" RP:
    We need proper spelling and grammar. We do not want posts written like this:
    [blockquote]"the man waked towrad the door"
    We want:
    "Carefully, the man edged towards the locked door."[/blockquote]
    - As Dune is a universe rife with intrigue - wheels within wheels, plans within plans - we stress character knowledge over player knowledge. Yes, you can read posts made by the player playing your enemy and discern what's about to happen, but as you are playing a character, you must act accordingly. There is no backdating: if there was no countermeasure before, th

3. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    So, actually I think you would have had to wait a week, for Anvil to get through with his one, BobaMatt. But as it is here, anyway . . . I´ll talk about both in chronological order of posting . . .

Wheel of Time is one of the most complex and awesome fantasy epics of our time. It is beyond doubt one of the most read, too. But despite that, it might not be generally known. While wiki-links might do the trick, I think you might need to explain what it is about a little to make it work, Anvil.

The story itself, a siege and those involved, is solid though and might be told in any kind of fantasy world. If you do not plan to use SPECIFIC WoT ideas, I would probably move what looks like a winner into a more known or generic surrounding . . . original fantasies are taken very well around here, anyway.

BobaMatt, great setup. I think a pic might be good. Deviantart is full of planet pics, you should find one that fits your Noveburn there. I wonder if it is so bad to allow players also to be members of the crusade, and therefore of the Muad`Dib and his Empire . . . he is a familiar figure and should be part of any Dune game, I think. I dig the idea to see the downfall of a house. What I would like to know is how this house is actually structured . . . otherwise this promises to be a wonderful, machiavellian, Shakespearean game about treachery and downfall [face_happy]

4. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Haha last time I asked how one gets on the list, I didn't get a response, so I decided to just post and whenever everybody got around to it...

As far as members of the jihad are concerned, the issue is that I mostly wanted this to be a closely knit tale of what's going on within the members of the family as they face their own destruction. This is not to say that certain people close to the Mutellis are not actually affiliated with the jihad, either in secret or overtly, but it was hard enough to get a lot of members last time, I think we should focus on close interaction.

What do you mean about House Structure? Aside from it being ruled by a Count, I thought I'd base the rest off of the CS's I received.

[image=http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs12/i/2006/284/e/7/Planet_Seik_and_It_s_3_Moons_by_Elijah_Snow.jpg]

Hm...how's that for a planet picture...

5. LordTroepfchen

Apr 9, 2007
    From my experience it is good to give the players roles to get into. Some have awesome ideas for dcharacters, but they will ignore your stuff anyway or incorpoarte it later. But some only want to join the game and can´t drag a character from nowhere. Players like me. I have serious difficulties with creating original characters. I have ideas, sure. Usually when the game is running for a month at least.

So why not do it like . . . Count. Leader of the House. Head-of-the-Miliary. Only answering ot the count, this person has total control over the armies etc.

And use that for spies and have courtiers. And the ressource people . . . that way you can look at the structure and say . . . hm, don´t wanna join the big power guys. I create guardsman. Or: I wanna be influential, but subtle. I do the econimist/trader . . .

It is also great for setting political interests. With lines like . . . The only military unit is the influential black squadron, a group of former elite soldiers serving to protect the trading. They are under control of the Trade Highlord and not of the military leader . . . and you got players beginning with friends, enemies and a reason to betray the house. Without even having added family, love and history . . .

I think having a firm structure is a great opportunity for RPing. Part of the 128 ABY Sith factions popularity was, it had a well known, transparent Hierarchy in which players actually advanced. And dropped to lower levels. And that was really fun. The infighting was present in both 133 ABYs, too. The same you have in AFAS. Look at Palpy´s court or Vader´s abandonned former stars, suddenly in Luke´s shadow . . . a known hierarchy is a good beginning to create plots from. One you create while going is always going to be player oriented and therefore not with a lot conflict . . .

So, I´d say do a list of positions and all not taken you should fill with fleshed out NPCs. Probably reviving the No-GM idea of Rachel and have someone control several of them.

Concerning the Crusaders, I just had those in mind who only know the TV series. Might be fun for people to meet Muad´Dib. Or his sister or wife or lover . . . like meeting canon chars in SW. The one thing all Dune movies had in common was, they all had iconic characters . . .

My ideas.

6. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Check out the Chronicles of the Imperium thread...fourth post from the top...is that along the lines of what you want, except, well, more specific to the Mutellis in particular?

7. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Which is all to say...is this better?

[b]Last Stand - a Tale of DUNE[/b]
    [hr]
    [blockquote][i]"Novebruns had been a world without much importance for most of the existence of the Imperium, but in the wake of Paul Muad'Dib Atreides' ascent to the Imperial seat, it became a rallying symbol - not of support for the new regime, but rather for its opposition. Our relatives the Mutellis dug in deep, opposing even my mother's decisions...and the Mutellis paid dearly. Novebruns was destroyed, and their House was squashed nearly to a head. Those that survived lived out the rest of their lives on Tupile.

[image=http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs12/i/2006/284/e/7/Planet_Seik_and_It_s_3_Moons_by_Elijah_Snow.jpg]

"The true lesson of House Mutelli's destruction is not, however, that the power of the Atreides is unopposable - this even my wife will admit. The lesson is that even a God King can be shaken."[/i]

[b]- Harq al'Ada[/b][/blockquote]
    [hr]

A year has passed since Shaddam's reign collapsed at Arrakis, and Muad'dib's jihad has set fire to the Known Universe. Mutelli, a Minor House beneath House Corrino, has until now ruled a full half of the planet Novebruns; after Paul Atreides' ascension to the throne, the other half was purchased for a fist full of spice. On their world, the Mutellis began to harbor their cousins and allies - not to mention legions upon legions of the now defunct Sardaukar, warrior fanatics loyal to the Corrino dynasty.

Without their loyalty, the forces of the jihad had no choice.

[image=http://www.flagshag.com/smaller/europecoats/Finland_Coat_of_Arms.jpg]

This is the story of the fall of House Mutelli.
    [hr]
    Welcome to [b]Last Stand ? a Tale of DUNE,[/b] set in Frank Herbert?s [i]Dune[/i] universe, after the events of the first novel, when Muad?Dib?s jihad is sweeping the Imperium. Players will be asked to take up the roles of those affiliated with the doomed House Mutelli - family members, soldiers, allies, and agents.

[b][u]House Mutelli[/u][/b]
    A minor house closely related to the Corrinos, the Mutellis wielded great influence not only in the Minor House synods, but in the Landsraad councils as well. Until now most of their importance has been as armorers, but after the Atreides rise to the throne they have been an outspoken opponent of Paul Muad?Dib?s policies and his war.

But not all members of the House are against Muad?dib, though their political support or religious devotion may not be overt...
    [blockquote][b]House Adepts[/b] ? The Bene Gesserit have always been close to the seat of power, but have found less purchase under Muad?Dib than they have traditionally held. As such, they have remained close to House Corrino and its relatives. Not only are there B.G. sisters within House Mutelli, but as Novebruns has become the home of many branches of the Corrino family, a number of adepts of those houses have come to rest there as well. The Countess is an adept, and has instilled some training on her children.
    [b]Master of Assassins[/b] ? As an important House Minor, Mutelli?s Master of Assassins has learned from the best and is highly qualified, with decades of field experience and insight.
    [b]The Nobility[/b] ? Although they are a Minor House, the Mutellis knew full well their importance under their cousin Shaddam, and what?s more, have become more and more aware of their growing importance as a well-known safeworld for Corrino loyalists. They are proud, and they do not quibble about their public disdain for the Atreides usurper. Still, they know and respect power, and there are those who seek to hedge their bets, as well as those who may be full on traitors.
    [b]House Strategists[/b] ? Master strategists and advisers sit at the Mutelli Council Table, and their ranks have been strengthened by those members of fallen houses that have come to the Mutellis for shelter and a chance at renewed strength.
    [b]House Swordmaster[/b] ? A battle hardened Sardaukar that served on Arrakis, the swordmaster of House Mutelli is a match for any Ginaz trained warrior.
    [b]House Suk[/b] ? It is not usual

8. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    I stayed silent so far, because I agreed with LordTs ideas. But yes, I think that is a more complete idea about what you can do and play . . . to make it perfect, I would so that in a second post. That way you keep the intensity of the OP and have all the info there anyway. If people like the setting, they´ll surely read on.

It got a lot potential. I like it a lot. And the picture is fantastic. :)

9. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    So do the House positions as a second post?

10. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    The house positions and the ressources, probably, yes. And the rules are from your first game. Need a few changes, I believe . . . otherwise damned fine game.

11. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Yeah, there does seem to be a problem or two...hm...will fix...otherwise, thanks!

12. spycoder9

spycoder9 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 23, 2008
    *Hello everyone! I am new, and I wanted to show everyone the basics of a RPG idea I have fixed up. I am even looking for CO-GM to help me with it. Here we go.

Imperial Remnant, Outer Space
    One Month After the Destruction of the Second Death Star

Former Foot Soldier turned Admiral Skyte Torhek watched out the starboard, his hands behind his back. He could still see the Death Star?s explosion, the screams of his fellow friends as their ships exploded through the air. He closed his eyes as his arm burned in his mind, the pain gone but the memory vibrant in his mind.

?Admiral Torhek, the other admirals of the Imperial Remnant have requested a meeting concerning a single Jedi acting for the Alliance,? his secretary approached him, but did not get to close. Torhek remembered his last secretary, who was now floating in space somewhere. Torhek knew the Jedi she spoke of. This same JedI had been the downfall of the Empire and the killer of both Death Stars.

?Tell them to begin without me,? He told his secretary, who nodded and stepped out. Skyte rubbed his arm, feeling of the red burn that still was there from the Rebel soldier who had burnt his arm up. Skyte looked back up to his starboard to see the small pods from the other Imperial ships moving to his ship.

I guess they decided they want to include me, he thought with a snarl. All the other admirals were fools. They planned on waiting years before the Imperials strike back. Skyte didn?t believe they had that much time. He wanted to murder the JedI who had destroyed his dreams. He wanted to kill Luke Skywalker.

Theed, Naboo

Luke stood beside his sister Leai Organa, his robots See-Threepio and R2-D2, and his friends and captains of the Millenium Falcon Han Solo and Chewbacca as they were greeted into Naboo, the homeworld of his mother. The people of Naboo were personally welcoming them in, for they all knew now that their own former Senator Padme Amidala?s children were here.

?Luke,? Leai whispered to him, ?Do you remember what I told you on the ship?? she asked him but he ignored her as he winked a young woman waving a tissue in the air. ?And what could that be, my dear sister?? he asked her still noticing the young woman.

?I said no flirting! We are here to learn about our mother, not trying to ?get to know? the locals!? Leai whispered back, but Luke looked from her to Han?s arm around her. She just rolled her eyes and turned back to the crowd, waving.

?Oh Dear R2-D2, all this noise is wearing out my voice!? See Threepio told R2-D2 as his voice got real high. R2-D2 beeped out a noise and See Threepio crossed his arms, mad.
    As the group slowly came to the end of the crowds, they saw the esteemed Senator there to greet them. Her name, Senator Melia Ardcin, was well known through the galaxy for her help with funding the Alliance. As Luke walked up the steps, he looked in her eyes.

Now I have two beautiful girls on this planet!

?Hello, JedI Skywalker,? she said and a soft grin came on her face. Leai looked at both their faces and then spoke up. ?Senator, we have come to get to know our mother from people scattered across Naboo.?

?Yes, follow me, Mrs. Organa,? she said and they followed her inside the captail, their heart pounding in anticipation of discovering all about Padme Amidala.

WELCOME TO STAR WARS EPISODE SEVEN- The Imperial Remnant

This RPG describes what happens AFTER the Original Trilogy. The Empire has been crushed, demolished by the Rebel Alliance, but even with the explosion of the Second Death Star, the Imperials have partially survived. Luke Skywalker, Leai Organa, Han Solo, and all out favorites have went to Naboo to uncover facts about Padme Amidala. The Imperial Remnant, as they call themselves, have banded together and are planning to not only destroy the Alliance, but kill Luke Skywalker in the process.

This RPG has so many possibilities. Luke does not have to marry Mara Jade. Some people don?t have to die. And what about every single character in Star Wars? Force Ghosts, Or

13. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Actually Spycoder, I would have some, but as your game is already up and therefore you cannot do changes any longer . . . I think there is little sense criticizing it. Won´t make the one that is up look any better, you know?

Good luck with it.

14. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    I'll give it some comment. Because whether the game is up or not, we're about feedback, are we not?

So let me be a bit blunt: this feels like fanfiction, not a RPG.

The things that give me that impression are as follows:

(1) Launching into narration, including original characters and all, in the introduction. I find that's a telltale of someone who is anxious to write a story or push a plot for people to read and enjoy, not someone who wants to create an environment for people to play in and determine the storyline. If my impression is wrong, I'm sorry, but that's the impression that's left with me, and I posit it's an impression that will be commonly felt by users here. I realise the first post is there to provide information and give us something to work with, but its focus should always be on the universe you're playing in and the overall rules of the game -- not the opening of the story.

(2) The presence of what appears a Mary Sue. I quote: "As the group slowly came to the end of the crowds, they saw the esteemed Senator there to greet them. Her name, Senator Melia Ardcin, was well known through the galaxy for her help with funding the Alliance. As Luke walked up the steps, he looked in her eyes.
    Now I have two beautiful girls on this planet!
    "

A Mary Sue, if you aren't familiar with the term, is a name that's given for the phenomenon of an original character created by an author showing up in a franchise universe, with no prior appearance (or a very short and implausible history) in the franchise. The original character is usually:
    (a) impossibly beautiful;
    (b) incredibly well-resourced;
    (c) implausibly physically capable;
    (d) extremely intelligent above any franchise (or indeed, any) character in the storyline; or
    (e) any combination of (a), (b), (c), or (d).

Typically said character usually winds up either:
    (a) seducing (or, in more abridged versions of these stories, skipping the seduction and just having sex with) an established franchise character; or
    (b) leading the franchise characters around by the nose and resolving the plotline by him or herself, relegating the franchise characters more or less to spectators.

In other words, a Mary Sue character is a self-insertion, or wish-fulfillment character: a character who does what the author wishes they could do in the franchise universe. And while that's probably psychologically comforting for the author, such fiction, or indeed such RPGs, are usually interesting only to the author. They aren't fun to play.

So when we're introduced to Senator Melia Ardcin, well-known throughout the galaxy for funding the Alliance (er, in other words, until approximately one month ago, she was a criminal in the eyes of most people in the galaxy) whom Luke Skywalker seems to be falling head over heels for at their first meeting, alarm bells start ringing. It raises the prospect that people joining this RPG aren't actually going to be able to develop their characters. Rather they're going to be tooling around watching Senator Melia Ardcin seduce Luke Skywalker and then turn him into a backseat passenger as she solves the galaxy's problems all by herself.

(Also, you might want to consider redrafting the post. Luke lustily thinking to himself "Now I have two beautiful girls on this planet!" has rather unfortunate implications given the other girl he's referring to is his sister. Minor, perhaps, but I cringed when I read that.)

(3) Taking control of Luke Skywalker. If this is because Luke is an NPC who you need to move the plot along, that's one thing. Indeed many good RPG authors hold onto the franchise characters for just that reason. I suspect, however, that this isn't what you've got in mind, given you call Luke Skywalker "my" character. When you combine that with Senator Melia Ardcin and start making Luke all hot under the collar over her, the alarm bells get louder, at least for me.

(4) Spelling, grammar, and parsing errors. You might want to print the post out and read it a

15. spycoder9

Jul 23, 2008
    I have taken into consideration and have shortly closed my RPG down until I can use all of your advice. I will post it here, and then wait until I get advice. Again, I am sorry for posting without the advice.\

My revised version:

Star Wars
    Episode VII
    The Imperial Remnant

The Death Star has exploded, causing a crushing blow to the Empire. The Rebel Alliance is slowly taking back the galaxy, wanting to reform the galaxy back to what it needs to be. The Rebel Alliance has no idea about the Imperial Remnant in the outer galaxy, banded to together after several of the galaxies biggest enemies met.

Luke Skywalker and Leia Organa heard from the Senator of Naboo, Melia Ardcin, who told them she had records of a Padme Amidala. Melia told them when she was a child, she had seen Padme kiss Anakin Skywalker in secret, but she had never revealed it to anyone.

The Imperial Remnant sent spies throughout the Rebel Alliance, drawing information. Grand Admiral Thrawn, the Emperor?s Hands, and many others have been recovered by the Imperial Remnant to help aid them in the coming war they have planned.

Luke and Leia, along with Han Solo, Chewbacca, See Threepio, and R2-D2, have went to Naboo, hoping Melia is what they think she is. She sided with the Empire during their reign, but it could have been under force.

Now with the galaxy under trouble, Luke and Leai are soon to find out everything is not what it seems.

RULES

1. First and foremost, I want everyone to have a FUN and have many chances to shine out. So everyone will get one chance to shine! And second on this, NO GODMODING, or no one will get their chance to shine.
    2. Second, all characters MUST be PMed to me! Anyone posting here without being approved will be IGNORED.
    3. Follow TOS rules.
    4. Chances are that your character won?t die, but if that happens, I want everyone to realize that.

CHARACTER SHEET
    (Characters can be mostly anyone they want to be. OC?S are allowed too, though.)
    Name:
    Species:
    Homeworld:
    Appearance:
    Personality:
    Weapon:
    Biography:

16. spycoder9

Jul 23, 2008
    I have decided to give that idea up because there already is an RPG abotut things like that, and no one would sign up.

17. Hero_Of_The_Force

Hero_Of_The_Force Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2008
    I suppose I'll go next, if that's all right.

[image=http://www.swagonline.net/files/images/britforjed2b.preview.jpg]
    [i]"Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer."
    ~~Sun-tzu [/i]
    [hr]
    [blockquote][b]---Powering up Datapad
    --Loading, please wait...
    -Completed. You may start recording by pressing the Record key.
    ~~~[/b]

[i]Year 3,681
    Time 8:43 P.M.

The trials are approaching and those in my clan have been on edge, the five of us have trained together since our acceptance into the Jedi Order. I fear all of us will grow apart; our Knighthood inevitably will separate us five. The Masters have told us repeatedly to not become too attached, but how can I help it? I have known my friends all my life and I hate to say ... but we love each other. We have all learned each other?s strengths, weaknesses, and fears. Together the five of us are in perfect harmony. The Code prohibits such relations, even with fellow Jedi. No matter, we shall always have one another despite distances, age, death, and ranks. Friendship, if feel, is everlasting.

Recently, the air of the temple has been rather strange. The Masters seem to be on a higher alert, perhaps the sightings of Sith. Most of the Knights doubt their existence. We have not concluded, but I do know the Masters have been looking into the appearances. There has been no news or evacuations, so everything must be fine. My trust lies with the council.

Now rumors of missing Jedi flood the temple in a desperate rush to be flushed to the Master's ears. They will not answer, and one of our old friend has yet to return from his mission. The mission was to investigating a report of odd happenings ... in the outer --- rim. They must be back! I'm certain now. Earlier today another Padawan told us that he overheard the Masters chat in the western wing hallway, "The Dark Side has clouded our vision". Unfortunately, a Knight escorted the Padawan back to his quarters. I have lost my faith in the Master's reassurances; I fear that they have truly returned. There is no other explanation for the recent activities popping up everywhere, more and more reports every day. The Sith are watching us.[/i]

[b]~~~
    ---End of Voice Recording[/b]
    [/blockquote]

[hr]
    [u][b]-/Trials of a Jedi\-[/b][/u]
    [hr]

[blockquote][b]Welcome[/b] to [u]Trials of a Jedi[/u], the adventure of Five lucky or unlucky Jedi Padawans. You be the judge.

The time period is set in 3,681 BBY, roughly a few months before the Great Galactic War started. Those (un)lucky Padawans have their views, doubts, and thoughts on the Sith and recent activities. That is not where the story starts, in their adventure we will dab into the past, present, and perhaps the future. What happens next? How should I know, you are the player.

On to the Padawans, I prefer that their age range from [b]18 - 22[/b]. Only because you will be seeing sides of your character that you might not have thought out too much, considering the character sheet (refer to article 5, section 2, paragraph 10). Nevertheless, they can be of any race, in fact I'd like to only see maybe one or two humans. That is entirely up to you, I give you the Game Master's mark of Freedom. Enjoy, go wild, I hope to see you game side soldier.[/blockquote]

[u][b]Rules & Regulations[/b][/u]

[blockquote][b]1.)[/b] [color=crimson][b]Private Message your Character Sheet to the GM.[/b][/color]
    [b]2.)[/b] [i]No Godmoding[/i], violators will be removed from the game.
    [b]3.)[/b] [i]Realism[/i] is the Key.
    [b]4.)[/b] Follow the [u]ToS[/u].
    [b]5.)[/b] [u]No[/u] One-Sentencers.
    [b]6.)[/b] I will accept FIVE characters only.
    [b]7.)[/b] [i]PG-13 [/i] means no F-bombs or over-use of bad language.
    [b]8.)[/b] Keep OOC posts to a minimum.
    [b]9.)[/b] Have [u]Fun[/u]!
    [b]10.)[/b] And [u]Enjoy[/u]!
    [/blockquote]

[u][b]Character Sheet[/b][/u]

[blockquote]
    [b]Name:[/b]
    [b]Gender:[/b]
    [b]Age:[/b]
    [b]Class:[/b] [i](The class your Jedi is trying for; Consular, Sentiel, Guardian.)[/i]
    [b]Apperance:[/b]
    [b]Skills:[/b] [i](Skil

18. LordTroepfchen

Apr 9, 2007
    I guess that is a game that will stand or fall with the execution. It is a solid OP. Actually more would be less here, as there seems to be a plot behind the game, that vis hinted enough to be interesting but stay mysterious enough to attract players. As it is ll about that plot and the OP cannot even given it away withoutbruining everything, I think with your story the game will decide whether it suceeds.

It is actually kinda nice we have more story based games recently . . .

19. spycoder9

Jul 23, 2008
    WELCOME TO The Reborn Sith Resurgent

If only Luke had listened into the Force?

[image=http://www.luke-skywalker.net/img/upload/luke_skywalker3.jpg ]

With the ending of Darth Cadeus?s reign as Sith Lord and ruler of the galaxy, Luke Skywalker has unfortunately withdrew from the Force, unforgiving and depressed about his wife?s death. Ben Skywalker, his dear son, has tried to talk some sense into him, but his father lashed out, sending Ben to the Jedi Temple for recovery for months. While Luke hid himself well, Leia had to admit he was too dangerous.

While Luke took all of their concentration, a strong Imperial Force grew in the galaxy, and the Sith joined them. The Jedi Order were not prepared, not ready for that shock. As the driving blow struck the Jedi Order, many died, one including Han Solo after a blade was driven into his chest. Luke Skywalker has never realized this, never sensed this coming for he is hidden somewhere in the galaxy, somewhere no one knows where?.

Game Basics, Rules, and Character Sheet

The day the Sith attacked is not for sure, but now they rule the galaxy. This RPG is a ?what if? RPG about what if the Sith decided to strike sooner. The Sith and Imperials are the rulers, crushing the surviving Jedi and New Republic survivors. The date has only been one year after the death of Darth Cadeus, the fall of Luke Skywalker, and the destruction of the Jedi order.

THE JEDI FACTIONS

The SITH ORDER

[image=http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Krayt ]

The Sith Order is ruled by Darth Krayt, the former Jedi A?Sharad Hett, and he has several apprentices, following the rule of one, where one Sith rules the whole Order, many minions, apprentices, and knights following. Most Sith have pledged their loyalty to Darth Krayt, and some Jedi have given themselves up to the Order, but some are just spies. Those spies are usually picked out quickly and efficiently. They are also interested in Luke Skywalker, knowing he has now turned over to the Dark Side.

The Jedi Survivors

[image=http://republicnews.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/jedi_knight_by_surfurdude.jpg ]

The Jedi Survivors all have different agendas, some wanting to stay hidden, and others fighting to defeat the Sith. Several of the outspoken are murdered, tragically, or are transformed into Sith. Leai Organa and Ben Skywalker have become Co Grand Masters of the survivors, who have all tried to meet back up on Ossus. Also, they are trying to locate Force sensitives.

The Force Sensitives

[image=http://www.natural-born-rednecks.us/Youngling2.jpg]

The ages of these special few range from 4 to 100, many not even knowing the full potential. The Sith Order and Jedi Survivors are both scrounging for these special few, and the special few are also in danger. Many are mostly just regular people.

The Imperials

[image=http://www.thecorrectness.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/destroyer2.jpg]

The Imperials have taken control of the galaxy along with the Sith. They have no care for the Jedi or the Sith but the Sith would have taken them farther. They feel that no Force sensitive beings should be kept alive, and their mistrust with the Sith has been growing.

RULES
    1. Everyone knows (or at least should!!!) know the TOS rules. Follow them!
    2. Please no Godmoding or Autohitting. It takes the fun out of most games.
    3. Respect your fellow players.
    4. Have a good time!
    5. PM ALL CHARACTER SHEETS (THREE ALLOWED) TO THE GAME MASTER! ALL OTHERS POSTED WILL BE IGNORED UNTIL PMed.

Character Sheet

Name:
    Species:
    Homeworld:
    Affiliation:
    Personality
    Appearance
    ---Skin Color:
    ---Hair Color:
    ---Eye Color:
    ---Clothing:
    ---Other Attributes:
    ---Other Details:
    Weapons:
    The Force:
    Biography:

OOC: And I know, I do come up with a lot of ideas and post them here, but I just hope to find one that really sticks. Also, I want to telle everyone I have pics, but they may not show up. I usually hav

20. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Okay, I read it a few days ago, allowed it to sink in and now reread it. As you asked for critic, I´ll give it to you.

First the good. It is clearly structured, got all the elements a good OP needs. Factions, introduction and it explains the hook, the basic idea which you want to sell us. It is an AU and that has been a popular line of games lately. But it seems there is still hunger out there. The basic premise bases a bit on the books on the market right now which is nice as they have been largely ignored. I like that you do break with the usual idea of an prose intro.

Second the neutral. It is kind of a early Legacy-Era. Which takes a lot of the Era. That is a good and a bad thing. We got Legacy games. One could ask, what for you need an early Legacy-Game? But it mixes well known elements. Which could be a good or a bad thing . . .

Third the bad. The game is not only an AU, actually you rewrite a lot, A LOT of EU history. But no explanation. Why does the Empire, lately the good guys with a bad past, suddenly turn into the Evil Empire again? And where did they amass these fleets they had not when the insugency happened. So Luke fell to the Dark Side. Leia became Grand Master. Grand Master??? Ben Co-Master? So, the Jedi Order is now lead by a Knight and a Padawan? Where are the Masters? What actually happened to all other big players? Corellia, GA and so on . . .

For an AU it is a little vague. I also have no idea what the game will look like. What will it be about? I preach that a lot, but an OP should have something in it of which players can imagine what the game will be about. How it will be played. Something like an emotional-hook. A part about what is playable and what not is also pretty important in AU games.

All in all the idea itself is still a little odd to me for the reasons pointed out above. I need more to buy it. And it would be a lot of work. LOT OF WORK, to get the Legacy Era start early without breaking with all EU canon. I wonder what the great gain of it would be?

21. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I'm not sure that moving the date up is, in this case, terribly intriguing, considering that the status quo is, essentially, the same. Moving the date back to the Empire would be one thing, as the galaxy was vastly different, but as it stands it's not terribly different for an AU.

22. spycoder9

Jul 23, 2008
    So you don't think I should make it. Does anyone have any ideas that are not going on now? If they do, please tell me!

23. Hero_Of_The_Force

Hero_Of_The_Force Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2008
    Meh... this may help. I don't know if it helped to other guy. Kinda helped me... I was you at one point but I have improved. Never struck gold yet though.

(Hope you Don't mind be Posting this Fins... if so I'll ask someone to delete it.)

24. spycoder9

Jul 23, 2008
    So I should PLAY first. Ahh, the answer to all my problems! Thanks all you guys, and I hope I don't bother anyone, but what are some of the games accepting new players? Don't want to look stupid asking a GM to sign up and then it end up they had enough players.

25. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, among other things, As Father and Son is consistently updated and Matt's a hell of a GM, and takes place close enough to the original trilogy to be familiar, while still offering a pretty immersive AU canon.

Non-Star Wars, The Disney RPG 2, run by our own moderator Imperial_Hammer and HanSolo29 would be an excellent choice, and is easy to approach from a pick-up-and-go standpoint.

Also, check out this thread. It provides a relatively up-to-date listing of games that are accepting new players.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.