main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RPR Archive The Game Masters Guild

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource Archive' started by PRENNTACULAR, Oct 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    ***The Game Masters Guild***

[image=http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/2165/gmgbh9.jpg]

*Victory through Guidance*

Our logo, courtesy of Reynar_Tedros (Technical officer)

Welcome one and all to the Game Masters Guild (GMG)! It is my hope that through this thread and the wonderful discussion that ensues, we will indeed accomplish Victory through guidance.

I, MASTERPRENN, will be serving as your Guild Master, and will be responsible for keeping discussion centered around the effective running of Role Playing Games and the like.

My hope for the GMG is that it will be a gathering place for the Game Masters and Game Designers alike (for the two go hand in hand), and that all who have questions or ideas will come here to share them. It is my dream, that together, we can improve the RPF, and through the better running of games, help it achieve some of it?s limitless potential.

Membership:

The GMG is open to all who want to join and discuss the working mechanics of running a Role Playing Game, and all of the topics that surround this aspect of the RPF. The purpose of this Guild is to improve the RPF by increasing the number quality of Game Masters on the forums.

The GMG is dedicated solely to discussing the pros, cons, ins, and outs, of running a role playing game, and creating a community which encourages growth in this aspect of role playing. Any who wish to discuss these things and be a part of this community are welcome to post in this thread.

As in the GDG, and CDG, members of this thread are asked to in some way signify your membership via either mentioning us in their sig or bio, though membership is not required to post here.

"We are a Game [Master?s] Guild, and I intend to keep a focused community around that mission. If you wish to discuss other Role Playing Related aspects in a dynamic, community setting, you are more than welcome to create your own guild." ?Imperial_Hammer

Non-Game Discussion (Also from I_H)

Social discussion is a vital part of any Guild Community, to foster and support a fellowship by all of its members. However, as this is a community revolving around a purpose, the Guild Master will be sure to monitor the discussion so as to keep it at least marginally around the subject matter at hand. A pure Social Thread will soon be found in the RPR, so we would kindly ask for members to keep business at least somewhere floating around the back of their conversations.

Game Discussion:

The majority of our discussions here will be based around games in general, and the effective running of such. The discussion topics will usually fall into four categories, and will be rotated with each update.

1.) GM Theory- In this segment, the Guild Master will bring up a specific game genera (Humor, Fleet, Western, Pirate, etc.) and the guild will discuss which GMing style is best for this genera of game (in general) and why, and what role a GM of this genera of game should play. In addition to the Genera Specific GM role discussion, this section will also cover the role of GMship in a broader sense, discussing what it takes to be a quality GM, what the good GM looks like, and GMing style preferences in general

2.) Specific Game Discussion- In this segment, the guild will discuss a specific game submitted by a member or non-member. Discussion will include (but is not limited to) the particular style of GM being analyzed, Pro/Con?s of that style, things the GM did right, things the GM did wrong, potentially problematic areas of the running game mechanics, etc?

3.) GM Caseload- This section can be divided into two different sub sections, the first of which being hypothetical discussion. The Guild Master will propose a fairly general ?what should I do if/what to do with??? question, and the guild will discuss what the best course of action would be for the GM of the game, as well as what r

2. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Even though IH is involved with this, it still feels exactly like the GDG. How is this different? What do I get from this that the GDG can't give me?

I'm a potential Guild member. Humour me!

3. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    Theres a fine line between Game Design and Game Mastery...

Design has to do with things largely before a game is launched.... how to make the best game you can possibly make...

While GMship more revolves around games already in motion. How to deal with dynamic situations as they arrive...

The GDG has, I'll admit, taken up the banner of a pseudo-Game Master's Guild due to its absence in the RPR...

Though I've tried to keep Game Mastery aspects a more prospective style, like looking ahead sorta...

Now that a formal GMG has arrived, I'll probably scale down those aspects in the GDG to give this Guild a little more room to manuever....

Even though I am not in this Guild's power structure, I suspect this guild will work alot more with examples, and alot more with scenarios then the GDG does. GMship is a hands on subject, and it requires more interactive aspects than our GDG theoretical processes...

Anywhos, I'm sure Prenn will have more to say... :)

-I_H

4. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Technical Officer checking in. ;)

Good work, Prenn, looking forward to this one.

5. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I see. I may be forced to join, then.

6. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    Aye, Imp pegged it.

This guild will differ from the GDG in a couple of main ways.

We are a community for those with questions/ideas/discussion about running a game, whereas the GDG will focus on making or designing a game. Those are two completly different subjects, and I believe they warrant two different guilds.

As Imp said, we will focus on certain situations, and a lot of the hands on aspects of running a succesful RPG, as well as what makes a good GM a good GM. The GDG disucusses what makes a good game a good game. Does that make sense?

I see where you are coming from. A lot of times, the GM of a game designs it as well, and because of this many members will probably be members in both guilds, which is okay. But these are two distinctly different aspects of Role Playing.

Of course, my PM box is open for suggestions/comments.

Hope that cleared things up for you a bit, Peng.

7. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Imp made some good points, battering down the wall that is my stupidity, and then you knocked it down.

Kudos!

I shall join.

8. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Personally I feel the GDG was more than capable of handling both game design and game management, as it has been doing...but if there are two guilds, then there are two guilds. I'll join.

9. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    Great to have you both aboard!

Winged, I think that the GDG was doing an acceptable job of tackling the whole GMship side of things as well, but it is my hope that the GMG will take up where the GDG left of, and then go a lot further and in depth. Also with the emergence of the GMG, the GDG will ideally be able to take the GMing aspect away, and will be able to solely focus on the area of Game Design.

Once we get some more interested parties, we can start formal disucssion. But for now, those of us here can discuss what I believe to be a completly necesarry question, albeit a very, very broad one.

What is the role of a Game Master, and an average role playing game?

What is a GM's job?

Obviously, a Game Master is needed to carry out the story of a game, and inforce the rules...

Or are thy? Are Game Masters completly necesarry?

We will ideally be going way deeper with this question in the months to come, but I think this is a good starting point...

10. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    ooo, I'd love to join. This seems like an intriguing place to get some in depth discussion on the acts and undertakings of a Game Master, which I have been many times.

11. Zedd-Vega

Zedd-Vega Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 2003
    *twirls his blaster pistols*

I'll join as well. After all, I won Best GM once, and maybe I'll pick up some new skills along the way.

This can do nothing but help me now [face_peace]

12. Pheonix_Rising

Pheonix_Rising Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 17, 2005
    looks like joining is the 'in' thing to do, so im 'in.' It'll also force me to stay on the boards longer.

13. Squishy_Vic

Squishy_Vic Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2004
    I'm in aswell.

As for PRENN's questons ...

What is the role of a Game Master, and an average role playing game?
    [b]The job of the GM in my opinion is provide his players with a nice, good, interesting and innovative story that they'd like to participate in. Also, step into the players shoes aswell (since we're all players here). For example, what do we want out of the RPG as a player? Consistent updates? A well planned story to play along with? A bit of freedom? The ability to be very creative? A GM who enforces rules to keep the game from being spoiled? Stuff like that. So once we answer questions like that, we create our game with a story, rules, and a character sheet to provide for those interested in joining. Then, once characters start to join in, you begin to plot out what you want to do with this character's story and that character's story, etc. You begin to plan what you want the players to do. Give them options and choices like as is this were a KOTOR game, since it is an RPG after all. Enforcing the rules is a big thing. What if you want a 1 paragraph minimum rule, but when someone posts one liners you don't object or give a warning or enforce the rules at all? That's a sign that you aren't doing your job in enforcing your own rules. You must stay true to them. For example, unless a player has special privelages (like the player is also Co-GM, for example), then you shouldn't let the players do what they wish with the story. You have to guide them and enforce rules and main plots, as long as they have some freedom and do not have to follow some strict story line. For example, following a strict story would be playing in an ROTS RPG exactly as it was. You already knew what happens, so there would be no room for creativity. But, you could give your players many choices and options if you made a ROTS game where the players can change the outcomes of the story, etc. So basically, the GM's job is to hook the players and keep them hooked, enforce your rules, and to let your players have fun and enjoy your RPG. That's my opinion.[/b]

What is a GM's job?
    [b]I think I just answered that ...[/b] [face_wink]

Obviously, a Game Master is needed to carry out the story of a game, and inforce the rules... Or are they? Are Game Masters completely necessary?

[b]Yes they are. A Game master (of game masters) must create a game for players to play in and lay down some laws (rules) for them to follow. If there wasn't a GM, there would be chaos as every player would try to make things go their way and do what they wished without anyone to stop them. A GM is needed to be like a Jedi - keep the peace and justice (keep it cool and fair for everyone). Besides, if there was no GMs, I do not think NaboosPrincess would appreciate having to watch over every single RPG's rules, when that's the GM's job. [face_tongue] [/b]

14. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    Great to see you all aboard!
    Obi-Wan21- Glad you found your way here! We are happy to have an experienced GM like yourself here, and do indeed look foward to the in-depth discussion of a subject we all love.

Zedd- Quite the entrance my friend...We are grateful to have you and a couple of other award winning GM's here in our midst. I intend to make this a learning experience and community for us all, myself included. Ideally, we will all gain skills and other GMing attributes from this endeavour...

Pheonix- Glad to see we could persaude you to spend a little more time with us here on the boards...I will do all I can to make sure that the time spent here is fruitfull for all parties involved...

[image=http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/2165/gmgbh9.jpg]

[color=chocolate][b][u]*The Game Masters Guild* (Official Roster)[/u][/b][/color]

[b]Full Members:[/b]

Penguinator-176
    Reynar_Tedros
    Pheonix_Rising
    Squishy_Vic

[b]Partial Members (Add GMG to sig or bio!)[/b]

Zedd-Vega
    Obi-Wan21
    Winged_Jedi

[i]*Always accepting discussion ideas!*[/i]

[hr]

On to informal discussion!

[b]Squishy[/b], I think you bring up some very valid points. You also have touched upon a couple of the things which make succesful GMing a very difficult thing to do. I liked your comparison between a GM and a Jedi... It would be impossible for a GM to appease every player, 100% of the time, so rather than focus on that, I think it is very important indeed that the Game Master focus on finding a creative medium, which can satisy all players to an extent, as well as "keep the peace." Some very good points. Other thoughts?

15. Squishy_Vic

Dec 18, 2004
    Indeed. The way of the Jedi is a difficult one, as is the one of a GM. You have to fulfill your duties not only as the GameMaster, but as a player too. You have to roleplay with your players with your own characters too. Make stories interesting, have twists, have different situations for each player, etc. Of course like I said, it can be difficult to keep this up the entire time your RPG is running (which is why a lot close down/die out), but many have done it and still do it. For example, Imperial Hammer's Podracer rpg ran on for a whopping 1700 posts and actually finished (wasn't cut short). The Galaxy at War III RPG has been running for nearly 9000 posts! That's incredible! And this is the third installement. The previous installements were successful as well. But you see, the key was to keep a good story up and a creative plot for players to enjoy. Hammer did this with his innovative podracing, as Pash has led GAW with the massive freedom and room for creativity, changing the outcome of the films entirely. Both great examples of good RPGs. Now, some bad examples are like many of mine (unfortunately). I made the mistake of not planning ahead, not setting up a plot for players before hand, and simply losing interest myself (while my players still wanted to play, but like a fool, I did not put myself in their shoes and locked the rpg). So of course you will go through your good times and bad times. But through experience you learn how to get better, and maybe you might get inspiration from fellow GMs. Just like the Jedi. Many of the Jedi and even civilians looked up to Anakin and Obi-Wan ... here, I'm sure a few of us look up to a certain GM/RPer. Its what keeps us going to get better and better. Roleplaying is the life, and I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

16. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    As a Co-GM in one game, I may start to view this place as somewhere useful, so I may lurk. Although tis Guild may have more relevance to me than the others, I don't yet wish to amend my sig.

17. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Mighty nice post, Squishy, I agree with everything you've said.

I couldn't resist adding your last statement to my sig, hope ya don't mind. ;)

18. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    Squishy, the Bold is used to highlight and empasize key points of your writing. Too much bolding and it becomes an eyesore. Thank you.

That said, I'll participate. You won't get anything from my sig or bio, but nothing short of a ban will stop me from talking. Let me just get a pair of goggles and try to figure out what Squishy wrote.

19. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I'm top of the lsit on both guilds! I must be real good!

20. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    While I agree with Lightwarden said about emboldening the entirety of that post, I braved the eye-ache and agree with everything that was written.

21. Squishy_Vic

Dec 18, 2004
    Sorry everyone. With IGNBQ sometimes I dont bother to edit the code (since I just paste some previously bolded text)

And Reynar, I dont mind at all. Quite an honor :D

22. Rayson

Rayson Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    As you know, you have my support.

23. Darth_Vaders_cousin

Darth_Vaders_cousin Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 12, 2004
    DVC, President of DRG (Distant Relations Games) proudly supports the GMG.

:p

24. LightWarden

LightWarden Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 11, 2001
    And my bow?

25. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    And my axe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.