main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD The Games Forum is Moving 5/28.

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by The2ndQuest , May 19, 2019.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    For the reasons discussed in this previous thread, it's been decided that the Games Forum will be merging as a sub-forum into the Jedi Council Community forum, to join alongside our existing media & entertainment sub-forums there (such as Amphitheater & Arena).

To give everyone sufficient notice, we'll be waiting until after the Memorial Day holiday weekend to do so, on Tuesday 5/28.

So, what does this mean for you, our regular forum users? Other than going to a different link (and different sub-forum tag*) on the boards, things won't be changing much on a practical level (no need to GTHOTB!). You'll just have the added benefit of additional users contributing to the discussion- many of whom already participate in a video game thread or two over there already or used to participate here in the past. New faces, old friends and an even bigger Forceboat Parté. :)

*And, as a reminder, if you access the boards primarily on mobile, you can still access the filtering tags for each sub-forum, you only need to initially hold your phone in a landscape orientation in order to do so.

On that Tuesday, the new "Gaming" forum tag will be added to Community (and the existing "Games" tag with our thread-based community posting games will be renamed to "JCC Games") and will cover video game topics as well as tabletop gaming, etc subjects. This forum will then be moved to an archive under the Community header.

Many of our major threads such, as the main console discussions (Switch, PS4, XBO, etc) & major franchises/titles (Zelda, Final Fantasy, Assassin's Creed, etc) (as long as they've been active in the past few years), will get moved over into Community (and retagged) to continue business as usual. A few of the newer threads/topics will also get moved over.

We will be keeping the Star Wars game discussion threads alongside the rest of our threads- the forum's content is not being split up. However, as Community is usually reserved for non-Star Wars subject matter, any additional SW game-specific threads (beyond those, like Battlefront, Jedi Fallen Order & TOR, that are carried over at the start) will require mod approval since we'd like to keep things to a more focused selection of threads until discussion warrants otherwise. There will be general subject threads (ie: SW Mobile Games, SW Classics, etc) for discussion of any titles/series without their own thread (or until their level of discussion warrants their own thread).

After that point, any threads not carried over to Community will still be accessible in the archive (you just won't be able to post in them) and if there's one that has been overlooked that you'd like to see moved over to Community, you can ask myself or another mod to do so and we can determine if the older thread should be moved over or if it's best to just start a new one.

An initial index thread will be posted to point to the existing threads carried over until the natural flow of the forum (and gaming news/announcements) carries things forward. However, filtering by the Gaming tag will also condense all of the initially available threads down to a single page or two to select from, depending on your settings.

Any other questions i haven't addressed, feel free to ask. :)

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    starfish, Life and Ramza like this.
  2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    [face_plain]

I suppose that possibly means the screenshots from games thread will be history; and likely even active threads like the Final Fantasy one could very well be lost to oblivion by the next month.

3. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    :confused:

I don't understand. Is the concern that those threads will be on page 5 of JCC instead of page 1 here? Nothing is stopping anyone from continuing to post in those threads.

4. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    But @The2ndQuest said that some threads will be moved to Archives. That's absolutely the Great Beyond here in the forums. Once a thread winds up there it might as well be deleted completely. You know the mods don't appreciate bumping up old threads.

5. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I really don't think you have anything to worry about. Quest said all major threads are moving (both of the ones you mentioned definitely count) and you can always request to have a thread un-archived.

6. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I'll take yours and his word for it. I've created and posted threads in the Community forums in the past, and if they're inactive for even a week and a half they fall into the 3rd, fourth, or fifth page; and if I bring it back I might get some nasty remark from one of the wise-guys saying, "why are you talking about this again?" - because it's not nearly as popular as the what sandwich did you have for lunch today at McDonald's thread.

Darkslayer likes this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Mods are what we have to deal with wise-guys, often by concrete boots.

8. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    That usually doesn't happen with dedicated discussion threads (e.g. the metal thread, the [insert sport of your choice] thread, the [insert book series of your choice] thread), which is pretty much all this forum traffics in, so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  9. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Well as I've said, I'll take everyone's positive suggestions as the gospel.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I mentioned Final Fantasy specifically in my post. Screenshots, Box Art and Music threads are also on my current list.

We've had similar mergers in the past with the Sci-Fi & Amphitheater forums merging into JCC long ago. And, if it helps any, I actually shared some of your concerns back then over those forums and I was proven wrong. Maintaining (and continuing) the chronological history/record of the conversation here on the boards over the decades is it's main appeal over other social media platforms like Reddit, Twitter and FB. That's always been a priority of mine as well.

We're not going to move every thread over in the forum, but not every thread needs to be. And if someone hasn't posted in the Force Commander thread in 18 years, they're probably not about to start now (and there'd be little benefit in continuing a conversation with that large of a break in the discussion given that most of the people who participated in it don't even post here anymore- and other newer members who post here may not have even been born yet when it was last used). Those threads aren't deleted, and are there for reference (or to be moved over) in case they become relevant to discussion again.

But, again, the major threads will be moving over- the first two pages of the forum at the start will look pretty familiar.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Life and Jedi Ben like this.
  11. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I think I really just have to get used to clicking the categories button to filter and see the threads I'm interested in.

The2ndQuest and Jedi Ben like this.
  12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm excited for this. Hopefully this means more updates to the existing games threads.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It really is a handy feature. People who want to have an exposure to multiple subject matters can leave things unfiltered, otherwise a single click basically gives you a separate forum.

Life likes this.
  14. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I bumped threads I cared about up to page 11.

Will probably bump the Beyond Good and Evil thread later as well.

Oh and are ALL console threads going to be open or just current gen? I saw the Wii thread inside the 11 pages.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I’ll be bringing over the current consoles, Wii U & 3DS. Wii is definitely an inactive platform (Wii Shop Channel is even closed now) so there’s not much point in bringing that one over since it’s use is only archival now anyways.

I’ll also request that you don’t bump any more threads, though- otherwise it’ll flood the main unfiltered JCC page with gaming threads when we merge instead of spreading them out. You can post a link here or msg me it for consideration.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  16. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Har. I should be done. 11 pages took me to 2016 and I was 2 years into Destiny 1 for most of that time.

Will run it through here from now on. I mentioned the Beyond Good and Evil thread solely because E3 is fast approaching.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  17. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, both of those ought to get a major boost if there's E3 trailers.

Especially if CDPR do what they did last year and casually drop a 50min "gameplay trailer".

JEDI-SOLO likes this.