main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Gargoyles Discussion Thread - "We are defenders of the night!"

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Dubya_Scott, Jan 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dubya_Scott

Dubya_Scott Jedi Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    "A Gargoyle can no more stop protecting the castle than breathing the air." - Hudson (episode titled Reawakening)

Disney's Gargoyles (and Gargoyles: The Goliath Chronicles) is, in my opinion, one of the best television cartoons Disney has ever created. The characters are interesting and the character development is done so well in this series. And the creators and writers always tied in real life religious, mythological, Shakespearean, extra-terrestrial, and even conspiracy stories, legends and characters. And they used some top animators on many episodes. There were even famous actors that voiced the characters.

Gargoyles should be immortalized as one of the greatest "after-school/Saturday-morning" cartoons. So I've started this discussion forum. If you've seen Gargoyles, I'm sure you would agree that it's an excellent sci-fi/fantasy cartoon.

Here are some great Gargoyles websites:
    Gargoyles Fans Website
    Station 8
    The Gathering of the Gargoyles, Inc.
    Gargoyles DVD's at Amazon.com
    Gargoyles at IMDB.com
    Gargoyles: The Goliath Chronicles at IMDB.com

So, let's discuss! :) What did you like about Gargoyles? Thoughts, criticisms, questions, links to fanfics and fan art, anything?

[image=http://www.s8.org/gargoyles/archives/images/tv/edge/gol4.jpg]

2. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    It's not one of the best animated series Disney made...

It's one of the best animated series period!

So many layers to this show it was almost ridiculous, yet it held together. And it brought us one of the best villians of them all-David Xanatos.

'Don't worry, Owen' has become a catchphrase at another message board I go to.

3. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    great show. i liked it. especially hudson. the old gargoyle

4. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    GARGOYLES RULED!

I loved the storyline, the characters, the arcs, the develoments as the characters grew over the course of the show.

*sigh* I miss it.

I was even inspired to write a Gargoyles/Star Trek: TNG crossover that I need to get back too eventually.O:)

5. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    yes, you must. Then E-mail it to me so i can gush.

6. Dubya_Scott

Jun 11, 2002
    Ya know, you can submit fanfics at the "Gargoyles Fans Website". I put a link to it in the first post. They have a whole section of the site devoted to just fanfics. Even I wrote some a few years back. ;)

7. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah I know. The thing is this is an epic that has gotten sidetracked over the years by RL and other projects. I want this to be completely finished before I submit it to that site.

I will say it's a very good repository for Gargoyles fics. I heartily encourage anybody in need of GOOD Gargoyle fanfic to check it out.

8. Dubya_Scott

Jun 11, 2002
    It's one of the largest fanfic archives on the internet. Check it out. You'll see. ;)

9. Liesl

Liesl Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    I remember when Gargoyles first came out - I got a Disney Adventure with Goliath on the cover.

The whole series was great. I still watch it occasionally on Toon Disney...when no one's watching me.

10. Trell

Trell Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 11, 2002
    Along with Exo-Squad, this is the only American made cartoon I really love. I can't wait for it to finish coming out on DVD, so I can grab it all, and have a good blitz marathoning some day.

-P!-

11. Dubya_Scott

Jun 11, 2002
    I'm hoping they'll release the entire series on DVD...meaning the third season, which was titled The Goliath Chronicles. That third season aired on a totally different network and they brought in different writers as well. Some of the episodes in that season really weren't all that great. But the last few were pretty well done...compared to the rest of the "Goliath Chronicles".

12. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Exo-Squad-I loved that show, Trell!

One thing stands out for me. It was the first time I heard the word 'hell' in a cartoon. The pilot with Xanatos. Went something like this...

'Pay a man enough money, and he'll walk barefoot through hell.'

And a Disney cartoon, no less...

David Xanatos, cool enough to swear in a Disney cartoon.

13. Dubya_Scott

Jun 11, 2002
    Actually the line (in episode 2) went like this:

"You know what they say, Owen: `Pay a man enough, and he'll walk barefoot into hell.`"

Sorry... I'm a Gargoyles fanatic. :p

14. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Hey, no problem. At least I got the spirit of the quote right. ;)

Still, that was incredible to have that in a Disney cartoon... in the afternoon.

15. Dubya_Scott

Jun 11, 2002
    I know. I was surprised to hear it, actually. I was in Junior High, I came home after school to watch it, and Xanatos said a "bad word". I was afraid my mom would get mad if i was watching cartoons with "adult language". :p

16. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    *Kicks up* So, Juliet. How's the TNG/Gargoyles crossover coming?

And yeah, it was pretty shocking, Dubya

17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Buried by other things at the moment ( like my upcoming job and my Battlestar Galatica cross as well as other fics)

I wonder just how many former TNG actors voiced Gargoyles?

18. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    As a kid I always watched this show.

I even bought the cans of Gargoyle Spaghetti-o's all the time.

19. Dubya_Scott

Jun 11, 2002
    A bunch, actually. Let's see if I can get all the names straight... :p

Jonathan Frakes was Xanatos (obviously)
    Marina Sirtis was Demona and Margot Yale
    Brent Spiner was Puck
    Michael Dorn was Coldstone and Taurus
    LeVar Burton was Anansi the Spider (one episode)
    Colm Meaney was Mr. Dugan (one episode)
    Michael Bell was Pal Joey and Martin Hacker

I'm sure there are probably more...

20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I LOVE this show! It still comes on Toon Disney sometimes, but late at night. Why did they have to stop making it? :_| It was the best animated show I think I've ever seen!

21. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i wonder what a live action movie based off of this would be like

22. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    If made right, completely and totally awesome?

Wait-made right. that's the caveat.

*Shrugs* I don't know, Conor. It'd be cool, but there's something about it being animated and Xanatos still saying 'hell'.

23. Dubya_Scott

Jun 11, 2002
    Actually, at one point during the Gargoyles-hype (while the cartoon was still airing new episodes) there were talks about making a live action film based upon it. But I heard they were going to cut the cast down to only one gargoyle, trying to make it somewhat believable. I guess somebody starting writing a script, then somebody else revised it, and it continued to go through several revisions...but that's all I heard. I think they may have just given up on it.

They also wanted to make a few spin-off series based on other characters. Sort of like Hercules and Xena: it's based in the same universe, but follows the lives of different characters within that universe.

24. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    if they ever did a live action movie i wonder if they'd be able to get the actors and actresses who did the voices in the animated tv series

25. Rebel_Spook

Rebel_Spook Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2002
    OK, since when is referring to hell as a location a curse word/adult language???

I was in college when this show came out and I was in front of the tube every afternoon for the first season (barring class). The second season the channel that carried it put it on at 0600, so I had my Beta VCR set to tape it every morning, I probably still have most of the episodes!

I loved how there were so many TNG actors used for voicing characters. There were even some non-TNG Trek actors who participated. THe actress who played Janeway being the main one that comes to mind at the moment.

I had sculpted a pretty decent version of Goliath in clay a few years ago, but unfortunately it was smashed in a move and I never got back into sculpting, maybe I'll see about it again someday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.