main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The genealogy of the Skywalker-Solo clan

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Golbolco, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2016
    I took it that the Crosscurrent clones were all people who had at one point serviced the Empire, though. We have Mara Jade, Kam Solusar, Kyle Katarn, and Lumiya at the very least: sure, nobody knew Kyle was gifted in the Force at the time, but 3/4 isn't bad. It seems to me that Thrawn's Jedi-clone army was entirely Imperial-derived and it would be unlikely for, say, a Streen or Kyp Durron or Jaina clone to have been derived from that project. While I didn't like Jacen's post-NJO portrayal and would have preferred if Caedus was a mad clone, I'm not sure how to square that circle.

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    So we can thereby say: that Solos don't come in pairs :cool:

:p

Golbolco likes this.
  3. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Because @Golbolco brought up the Slayers and several people responded to that, I should probably give the word-of-Ewok-co-author on Darth Vua. :p

The character is quite deliberately written without a canonically-fixed identity, and there's no guarantee that Vua is even a genetic twin of whoever the One Sith are trying to claim, or whether that identity is even stolen from someone real.

Similarly, the "betrothed" on Zonoma Sekot could be all kinds of people - for example, one of the ideas I was nodding to was the then-current Caedus-is-a-clone theory already mentioned by @Noash_Retrac - in which case presumably Dani is meant; or you could see this as a nod to the Shaper/Priestess who was the Slayer's back-seater on the TUF attack run (you could even read Vua as being the girl in the team rather than the boy); or a random Yuuzhan Vong character, or a false-memory implanted by the Shapers who supervised the Slayer project. :p

As to Jedi sources of cloning samples for the Slayers, I think Jacen holds the record for having been a Vong prisoner a total of three times (don't forget that he was first captured by Domain Kwaad on Belkadan way back in the Dark Tide novels); Anakin, Tahiri and Ganner were all captured twice, and anyone on the Myrkr strike team seems like a fair candidate, as well as obscure Jedi-captive characters like Daye Azur-Jamin and Bey Gandan, or anyone who they could get a clone sample from by Peace Brigade assistance or raiding old Imperial facilities. They may also have Irek's remains to work with, and Nom Anor might have swiped some samples of Palpatine behind the scenes in Empire's End...

In short, the interpretation is really up to you. I was very aware that you surrender authorial control over a piece like this, so anyone who picked up the concept officially might interpret the character in all kinds of ways I didn't like (I remember this fandom in the 1990s :p ), or else the whole thing might simply be completely ignored by everyone.

I was especially self-conscious about this because as you may have noticed if you've overheard enough of my Ewok yubbing, I am a huge A/T fan, and I've never really bothered to hide that - even at this late stage, getting those two back together is something that appeals a lot to me. But I didn't feel that the WARFARE gig was someplace I could go lobbying, partially because, like I said, these things are often counterproductive, and partially because that's just not the way I roll (similarly, I completely suppressed any reference whatsoever to Kyp Durron, and I didn't even notice until a fellow K/J 'shipper pointed out the glaring omission).

I just didn't expect Disney to reboot everything. :p

Other topics?

Well, I'm carefully avoiding trying to think about the longlist of Palpatine's alleged and theorised genetic progeny. :p

@Cole_Fardreamer points out that Thrawn also had a clone project going - I suppose this is where we should point out that canonically there were Vader and Kenobi samples taken at the same time as the C'baoth one (per Outbound Flight), so there may be some meta in the fact that Chak/Jag/Davin is Dennis Lawson's nephew, and then there's the amusing question of whether "An Apology" is canon. :p

I really like the suggestion by @Golbolco that "Ederlathh Pallopides" is a name-of-state like "Padme Amidala" - as to the details, "Pallopides" seems to have been deliberately constructed by the writer(s) as a fake-Greek patronym, "son of Pallops" (though Pallops is not as far as I know a real Ancient Greek name), and looks like it's meant to mean "descendant of Palps", thus "relative of the Palpatines". The other possibility, of course, is that the name is coincidental and this is simply the surname of Ryoo or Pooja's husband.

And while everyone assumes that Roan and Sia are descended from Jaina, was this ever strictly confirmed? The connection implied by Sia may come via Hapes. [face_thinking]

Hah! :D

- The Imperial Ewok

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    Daneira and Golbolco like this.
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Have @GrandAdmiralJello had any comments on this idea? Wondering since he is Ederlathh Pallopides biggest fan after all.

To my knowledge: no.

5. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013

I see someone is still desperately trying to get Wynssa Fel on the throne after Jag! Well, the connection may come via Hapes, but then that would leave Jaina and Jag going rogue to lead down the line to Ania Solo!

I so love "An Apology" but I still do not know if i want it to be Legends canon or not. Then again, it perfectly fits the Essential Guide to Warfare's style it might as well be :p

Now to the Pallopides Conspiracy: Why would they pick such a name, and furthermore make their relation to the Emperor public all of a sudden? I doubt Palpatine wanted that given the lengths exterminating his family had gone to. But with it out in the public he kinda is forced to adress it and genes and genealogy does not lie. So the Naberries forced the Emperors hand, but for what purpose? Last I noticed they were still good guys that did not like Imperial ways, so what strategy is underlying their tactics and political maneurvering that would not only put Pooja in peril but the draw public attention and the like. Was it to distract from some other allies actions by turning public eye and the Emperors especially on to themselves in a selfsacrificing way? Or did they need access to the Imperial Court for some reason? What ace is up their sleeves still? Did they do it to lead attention from other investigations away? Like Padmés pregnancy or death circumstances? Was it a Rebel Senator ploy given the Naberrie good ties to House Organa as well as Padmés former handmaidens working for the Rebellion, Organas and them still being adept at crafting such plots and public stunts?

6. Golbolco

Jan 20, 2016
    Come to think of it, nowhere does it state that the Vong only used one source for the Slayers, does it? They may very well have put into production clones of several captured Jedi. I'm not even sure if it specifies that they're all males, I'd have to check The Unifying Force again. There could very well be Tahiris, Jacens, Anakins, and who knows what else all coexisting on Zonama Sekot, fulfilling everyone's shipping wishes.

Thanks for the information on the Essential Guide's development/intent. I, too, consider myself an A/T fan and so I like to imagine that at least one of the Slayers came from Anakin, Vua or not. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Junior Jedi Knights have a prophecy that was infamously cut short by Anakin's death, regarding Anakin and Tahiri?

7. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    The implication of illegitimacy came up in a discussion with Jello in the "is the Remnant still the Empire" thread, but in that harcore canon-crunching context I decided to hold off on raising the question of Naberrie involvement... and then this much more freeform thread came up, where open-ended speculation about subtext and possible authorial intention seemed much more appropriate. :p

I was actually just falling back on inappropriately formal canon-crunching to try to avoid bringing my own personal opinions to the table. :p

As to your second question, perhaps the advantage of bringing forward a daughter of Pooja or Ryoo as an Imperial pretender is precisely the Rebel credentials involved - the girl can be presented to the Imperials as the rightful heir (a status that may never have been previously publicised), while at the same time the New Republic leadership will be reassured of her sympathies.

@Golbolco - as far as I can remember, the Slayers are all male, but they're overseen by female Shapers whose command role gives them the look of Shaper/Intendent hybrids in contrast to the Priest/Warrior caste-combination of the Slayers themselves (I wrongly called the girls "Shaper/Priestess" hybrids in a previous remark). They don't even need to be clones of individual Jedi - they could easily be genetic hybrids as well - but I've just been hit by the though that if they're the result of the Jedi-countering side-project which Qelah Kwaad mentions in TFP, that might limit their genetic base to the Jedi who we know Domain Kwaad had access to - Jacen, Anakin, and Tahiri.

How detailed an answer do you want on A/T? :p

- The Imperial Ewok

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    ColeFardreamer and Golbolco like this.
  8. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    An interesting suggestion I've heard for how Ania came by the Solo name is that she's descended from a hidden son of Jacen and Tahiri, born when they were both on the Dark Side.

ColeFardreamer and Golbolco like this.
  9. Golbolco

Jan 20, 2016
    As detailed as you can bring it, @Thrawn McEwok! Unfortunately my copies of JJK are stored in a box somewhere and I neither have the time nor the archaeological skill to find them at the moment. It's also been a decade or so since I last read them in full...

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    A possibility is that Jaina divorcé Fel. It could actually create a really good samurai/chivalry-like story if Jaina and Jag has to go different ways to protect the peace in the galaxy, while still loving each other.

And then Jaina had a child who Ania descended from, or maybe it was one of those: "we have two children, you take one and I the other" divorcés.

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  11. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    As much as I cringed at the Jacen/Tahiri flings... on the dark side anything can happen. Besides, Anakin flirted with Tenel Ka first in YJK much to Jacen's cringe, so payback post mortem on the dark side? Ha!

I could see Jaina and Jag split up, but splitting children is something more extreme I'd not see them do unless they really have a major fallout. And Jaina having a kid later with someone else? Not sure about it but possible, I mean, with all the family issues we craft to explain it away, we leave family friendly SW territory for a grim realism of split and mixed up patchwork families that some may not want in their SW. Not everyone does it so well as "Bantha" Rawk Skywalker did!

I could see Jag more likely position one of the two kids he has with Jaina to become a Shadow Child not revealed to the public, trained and raised elsewhere by friends. Chiss? Hapes where they have Zekk and Tenel Ka and else? In that regard Ania Solo would be descended from an Anastasia style heir to the Imperial throne that grew up elsewhere not knowing her true role and legacy which never came to pass cause nothing happened to her parents sibling that would require activation of the backup plan/heir. Maybe Tahiri was tasked to take one kid that way?

PCCViking likes this.
  12. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I could see it being between Jacen and Danni, that she raises in secret on Zonama Sekot, not wanting to tell Han/Leia or anyone else until she tells Jacen first (who just went on his journey) but when he comes back and he seems changed, she decides to continue to keep it a secret.

PCCViking likes this.
  13. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    That's how I think ROTS should have turned out: except that Padme wasn't nearly as far along in her pregnancy, and she wanted to tell Anakin. But when she found out how dangerous he became, she decided to keep it a secret.

14. Golbolco

Jan 20, 2016
    So here's my notes on the Lars family, which are primarily centered around the issue of whether or not they're related to Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Like the Naberries, the Lars family has information that inexplicably stretches up past the films' visible generations. Apparently in canon it is confirmed that the Lars originate on Tatooine, but Legends disagrees: Lef and Gredda Lars originate on a planet called Ator, which is in the core. Their son Edern was buried on Tatooine after dying at fourteen, which arguably points to a Tatooinian origin, but it doesn't really matter because their other son Cliegg Lars was a rebellious teen who left the family farm for the city world of Ator again. Cliegg married a woman named Aika and by 52 BBY had at least one son named Owen.

Cliegg was born in 82 BBY, making him 25 in 57 BBY--the birth year of one Obi-Wan Kenobi on Stewjon. Obi-Wan as per the Jedi Apprentice books has hazy memory of a brother named Owen who was sent away into the Jedi Agricorps, and the ROTJ novelization has the line where Obi-Wan states that Owen Lars was his brother. If it weren't for Abel G Pena's retcon in 2015 I'd say it's pretty open and shut. But is it really?

First of all, why is this never acknowledged on film? Obi-Wan hands off baby Luke to Owen and Beru, but you would think if Lucas had intended for the characters to be biological brothers then this would be mentioned somewhere. The counterargument is that Obi-Wan doesn't seem to have any reason to go to the Lars homestead at the end of Revenge of the Sith. How did he know about the Lars? Did Anakin tell him about the events on Tatooine? I think he'd be able to feel the darkness within Anakin. Maybe Obi-Wan knew where the Larses were but didn't know or care about their connection to the Skywalkers, so he dropped off Luke with his family nonetheless.

Second, what's with Obi-Wan's name? I sort of have an answer to this, but not really. "Obi-Wan Kenobi" phonetically resembles "Qui-Gon Jinn" and yet the characters don't appear to have a shared ethnic origin. But our answer might lie in Aris-Del Wari aka Ludi Billane, one of the root causes for anti-Jedi sentiment during the Clone Wars. Here we have the Jedi finding a child and, unable to identify the child (until it's too late), giving it a name that follows the same pattern as Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. So this might be a thing that some Jedi (but not all) do: they take a name of this sort when they become a Jedi Knight. Maybe Obi-Wan was born Ben Lars and later changed his name. But Ludi was an unidentified child, Ben Lars had to have been at least young enough to remember his brother when he was taken and became Obi-Wan.

15. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Let me adress some of your points:

Returning Owen and Ben to brothers is what I would love too, but that means as per your own research that Owen is forcesensitive and was training to be a Jedi until he was sent to the Agricorps instead of being taken as a Padawan. At some point he must have left the Corps to keep farming on his own and return to his family where he soon after met Beru and fell in love.

I think it'd work for Ben, but do all canon depictions of Owen work for him being a former Jedi and Corps member? Did we just not know it up to this point? For some it may be a 180 degree turn of character and shock. But actually, it would make sense if Owen has been travelling the galaxy, seen its darker side too and became grim and wishing a happy farmlife instead even as far out and complicated as Tatooine! So I'd say it would even fit his characterisation.

Sure its a huge coincidence that Anakins relatives also are his Masters or that Obi Wan made no attempt to visit in TPM. Also folks against making the galaxy too small and connected may object. I so far though do not.

Lets look at the further implications: Does Owen still have a lightsaber? As kid he trained with one! As former Jedi he sure is a top choice to guard young Luke and knows how to notice and handle infant Forceuse. Though that would still lead to verbal fights with Kenobi who might have differing views on some matters. Also when the Empire finds the Lars farm, did they recognise Owen as former unaccounted for Jedi Corps Member and therefore burn all down and disintegrate him and Beru? Or is that standard Imperial practice? Viewed from that new point of view, this new backstory for Owen would add greatly to his story as we know it!

Jedi naming conventions of old may be carried on by some but not all Jedi, so it works as you said. Also given Owen and Kenobis Jedi Youngling time might have overlapped partially before Corps/Padawan times, Jedi might rename a child to not have them know or meet each other, or to, if they do, have them not recognise each other and form unwanted bonds of attachement. (PS: Sigh I so love the Baby Ludi case, so sad and yet so interesting!)

Questions:

What is the age difference between Owen and Obi Wan?

Do we have Atlas locations for Ator and Stewjon, if so, how close are they? Not that distance is relevant but if close I'd see it as another indicator maybe.

So we have Lars-Kenobi ties revealed at last as well as Palpatine-Naberrie-Pallopides connections. Who is next?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  16. Golbolco

Jan 20, 2016
    As far as I remember, the Jedi that get sent to the Agricorps generally don't have lightsabers and advanced training unless they were Jedi Knights beforehand. It could be that Cliegg's wife Aika and their son Owen both had somewhat above-average Force sensitivity, but Ben was the real gifted child so he actually got to join. the other Larses opted to join the Agricorps and to their shock got sent back to Tatooine. Just an idea, though, and I'm not entirely convinced myself.

Obi-Wan was born in 57 BBY and Owen in 52 BBY. There's a 5 year difference; what's the cut-off age for prequel-era Jedi recruiting children? Under 10?

I don't think there's atlas locations for either Ator or Stewjon, as far as I've found.

The families that I keep track of are the Skywalkers, Solos, Naberries, Fels/Devists, Antilles, Hapan royalty, the Djo/Singing Mountain Clan, and the Larses--together I name these families the Skywalker-Solo clan for their chief members. I also keep a close eye on House Palpatine because they may as well be honorary members (if not members already!) There's undoubtedly others that either are connected or are just always around the main clan: Kenobis, Mara's family (we're getting there soon,) Fett clones, Calrissians, Clan Vos, Whitesuns, Gamas, Wessiris, Khais, and Thules. But there's either not enough members to warrant full notes or no concrete connections as of right now.

DarthJaceus likes this.
  17. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Regarding Ania being a descendant of Jacen and Danni, it’s not impossible. Danni Quee is one of the women jacen mentions in his dream in Inferno.

And during his five year sojourn or soon before, a liaison with Danni Quee wasn’t impossible and it may have been so they simply didn’t bother to keep in contact.

I’m also not opposed to jacen and Tahiri-there is a two year period between the end of invincible and the start of Outcast. Tahiri could have gotten pregnant, carried it to term and discreetly sent the child away given her being in Jedi custody and the dangers of having Caedus child around for a variety of reasons. Not to mention the emotional and psychological difficulties.

Gamiel likes this.
  18. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013

Agricorps members train as kids with lightsabers before being sent to the Corps around 10-13 years of age if not chosen as a Padawan. See Yodas training class in AOTC. But true they did not build their own sabers yet.

Cut of age is rather flexible but 5 is already very high, wasn't in recent novels Rael Aveross one of the oldest Jedi kids ever taken in before Anakin? I think for him it was 5 actually if I recall right. So Obi Wan should have joined much younger and therefore Owen too. Still maybe he never met his brother but just was told about him or met him in the temple and they kept a professional distance. Not problematic I'd say.

Have to check Atlas appendix later myself. I am sure we got some coordinates for at least Stewjon, not sure about Ator.

I'd love to see all of your notes on families. Especially more on Hapes/Dathomiri ones. Anything on Kirana Ti, her husband, kids and niece etc.? They were loosely related to Teneniel and Djos I think? Also other Singign Mountain Clan members I'd like to learn more about. Many are related after all but we never got all relations listed. Just Teneniels many sisters or such.

As for Mara Jades family... I got my own theories. What are yours? Strongest contenders of all theories with actual proof? I know many place her with Kenobi and one of his loves and faceapps female filter of Ewan Mc Gregor would agree! But I still like her and Shira/Lumiya being siblings too.

19. Golbolco

Jan 20, 2016
    It's not unheard of for the Jedi to take siblings and train both in the ways of the Force; isn't there a pair of sisters in the Clone Wars that are Jedi? So I could see Ben and Owen both being taken, maybe one renamed so that their family ties don't interfere, and then Owen is sent back to his family later on. That might even encourage Owen's later distrust of Jedi.

I think Stewjon and Ator are at least both Core worlds, if that makes any difference.

For the Dathomirians: I could have sworn that either the JAT or Darksaber or maybe the Leviathan comic establishes Kirana Ti as Teneniel's first cousin. That doesn't really narrow it down: I suppose her mother could either be Gethzerion or Barukka, or maybe the connection is on Teneniel's dad's side. A lot of my Dathomirian notes focus on reconciling the Clone Wars depiction of Dathomiris with the rest of Legends, and the descent from Allya. I think that Allya is Rell's mother or grandmother, and Rell herself is Augwynne's mother or grandmother. As a rule, Dathomiris live for between 200-300 years, meaning their generations might be a lot bigger than ours. It could be that a Dathomiri woman doesn't hit menopause until she's 150. By the way: with this long lifespan, that could mean that Allana (who's a quarter Dathomiri) could live well into the Legacy era. She might be Ania's mother and still aged very well--after all, her great-grandmother Augwynne was said to have looked 60 in The Courtship of Princess Leia, but is said to have been much older than that I believe.

I'm in agreement on Mara and Shira being sisters, and if I recall correctly Abel G. Peña said something similar. But as to their parents...

ColeFardreamer and Iron_lord like this.
  20. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Well the long lifespans early EU gave some cultures and Forceusers, I love that. Pity later books ignored it.

Heck Allana could BE Ania herself even if you stretch it ;) but the other hapans that married into the Felpire, were they of half/quarter dathomiri lifespan, that give us entirely new implications on that side of the family tree too.

I also remembered Kirana Ti being first cousin to Teneniel.

Now as for contenders to the parentage of Mara and Shira... plenty of redheads around to implicate:
    -Palpatine himself had reddish blonde hair once
    -Jenna Zan Arbor also was a redhead
    -Kenobi of course but I can't see a fling with Satine that gave birth to them during the Clone Wars, nor one with her sister thereafter though she had red hair. If Kenobi is implicated, I'd more advocate Siri Tachi, Cerasi or other flirts he had with the kid raised elsewhere under another name for he is a professional Jedi and no attachement allowed. How Palpatine got ahold of the kids is an entirely different story then. Sad as it is.
    -farfetched: redhaired Dathomiri origin for both. Given Palpatines ties to Talzin its not unlikely
    -Sunrider / Shan / daBoda lineage: Originally Bastila Shan was supposed to be Vima Sunrider or a descendant. But issues nixed that. Still I'd like to connect the Shan and Sunrider families somehow. Later they became the daBoda family with its own tragig and sad tale. If related to any of them, Mara and Shira have an interesting legacy. Some would even tie Allya, former Jedi, founder of modern Dathomir Witch culture to any of these family lines but if or if not connecting all ever redhead families is necessary is everybodies own choice. Connections between Revan and Mara though would be fun.
    -there are many other minor characters as potential parents, and depending how you stretch the age, even Baby Ludi was once considered as a Mara infant.

Golbolco and PCCViking like this.
  21. Golbolco

Jan 20, 2016
    For Mara and Shira I focus less on their red hair and more on their green eyes.

You've demonstrated that red hair is fairly common in the GFFA. But green eyes are at least as rare as they are on our planet. Obi-Wan, Palpatine, and the Sunriders all have blue eyes. Now it might be presumptuous for me to assume that genetics in Star Wars work similarly for our world, but I don't think I'm being unreasonable by suggesting that Mara and Shira should have one parent with green eyes. For me this rules out Obi-Wan/Satine and Obi-Wan/Siri Tachi. Cerasi had green eyes, though...

Mara's birthdate is given as 17 BBY according to Jedi vs Sith, but I don't see why we should take that as necessarily true given that Mara believes her early memories are implanted. The earliest non-implanted memory she has is being a child on a shuttle with Palpatine, and it's not specified if he was chancellor or emperor at that point. Mara could easily be older than Luke so long as she's a fair bit younger than Han, I think. Shira on the other hand has no birthdate or life before the original Marvel run.

The Dathomiri hypothesis could make sense; Savage has green eyes before going to the dark side so I would assume that Maul's eyes were also green and that's just a family trait. But I think that just as likely would be Hapan descent: the royal family is depicted with red-gold hair and green eyes. Of course, the Hapans avoided contact with the galaxy for a long time, so maybe not.

Thanks for bringing up the Sunriders/Shans, by the way: I have reason to believe that in 2012 there were plans to reestablish a connection and make Bastila Vima's daughter, but I'll get into that later.

I'm convinced that we already know the names of both parents or grandparents for Mara. It's a matter of connecting the dots at this point. If I had to guess, I think they're most likely connected to Jedi that died in the purge or died shortly after declaration of the Empire.

PCCViking likes this.
  22. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    With Mara having red hair and green eyes...

Lily Evans Potter transported by Voldemort's curse to the GFFA. Palpatine found her and changed her memories. :p

Seriously, it would be quite...an interesting family tree if Mara was indeed related to Palpatine: Ben having two grandfathers who were both Sith Lords, and then his brief relationship with a Sith (Vestara)...

darklordoftech and Golbolco like this.
  23. Golbolco

Jan 20, 2016
    "Vader was seduced by the dark side" might be more literal if applied to the rest of the family tree!

24. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    @Golbolco - okay, here's a semi-detailed version: the first of the Junior Jedi Knights children's novels introduced the Anakin/Tahiri partnership - after setting up the friendship in perfectly natural terms, the book introduced the idea that they had a "connection" which enhanced their Force potential (observed via Luke's POV), and a "destiny" that they should try to follow together (via various conflicting comments and discussions on this concept - rather neatly, A/T contradict themselves completely on the topic depending on the context); I don't think the term "prophecy" was ever used, or the phrase "Force bond" either. During the NJO, Greg Keyes revisited the backstory in the Edge of Victory duology, and renewed the emphasis on the idea that they should keep "together".

Then Star by Star happened. [face_plain] The issue is not so much one of prophecy, as a derailment of the characters, and possibly by extension a derailment of the course of the narrative in both practical and metaphysical terms. Of course, if one accepts that the Son and the Daughter are the Slayer and the Shaper (who are also the Lovers), and are represented successively by Vader and Ahsoka and Anakin/Tahiri, this has even bigger implications for the canon as a whole. :p

I've always felt that getting that 'ship back afloat would also be useful in simple practical terms, too, because A/T are protagonists who can tell narratives that Jacen and Jaina can't... do I need to explain what I mean by that? [face_thinking]

Keeping this part separate so people can see that what follows is the start of a general reply that's actually on-topic to the main discussion. ;)

- The Imperial Ewok

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  25. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    This one's the general reply on the topic of the Sky-Solo-Palpatine-Djo-Lars-Kenobi genealogy, starting off with the question of Mara's parentage, which now seems to be the current hot-topic...

I really have no fixed view on this, except that the idea should feel right - I'm trying to shake off the comically uncomfortable implications if both Mara and Vader are product of the same pattern of shenanigans by Palpatine.

Less challengingly, I wonder if Traviss was toying with the idea of her being a clone of Etain, but I sometimes find myself pondering if she's Scout with her memories scrambled and her ageing process slowed using Ko Sai's research...

And this is, in turn, a useful place to tangent and agree with @ColeFardreamer that the ageing process as presented in the Bantam era always seemed much more STAR WARS than the more recent handling (I particularly liked the way that Rell, the Dathomiri matriarch, was so old she was no longer linear)...

Moving on to the question of where Ania Solo comes from...

I'll admit that I dislike the "Jainahiri" suggestion raised by @Hamburger_Time (although if there was anything between them - and I'll concede, very reluctantly, that Tahiri does complain at one point that he talks in his sleep - this should be played as nicely as possible).

I certainly don't object to the observation by @Gamiel that Jaina and Jag could split up, though the Jacen/Dani suggestion by @Ghost has the benefit of being more likely to avoid controversy. I also suspect that twelve-year-old Anakin's chatting-up of fourteen-year-old Tenel Ka in the YJK novels, referred to by @ColeFardreamer, was largely about lampshading his elder brother (Anakin Solo walks into KJA's books and does meta on them? Yep), though on the other hand I could actually see Tenel Ka borrowing some Solo DNA during Dark Journey just to keep the Y-chromosome going.

One aspect of Ania that I think is important is that she seems to know more than she admits about her background, and that her self-conscious insistence that she's no Jedi seems to reflect past failings in that regard. She's not just an ordinary girl with an interesting surname. She's quite explicitly rejecting people's past expectations about her. I talked about this at length here: https://boards.theforce.net/threads...ange-the-future.50047780/page-5#post-54811885

The insistence that she's not "royalty", if taken literally, would seem to preclude any descent from Jag or Tenel Ka. Then again, in saying that, she's also doing what Han spends all of Courtship doing, and Solo fast-talk should not be taken literally. :p

@Golbolco - superb Lars analysis, except I don't know any source that indicates that Owen was Force-sensitive - isn't that an element of Obi-Wan's own biography that's been garbled?

Like @ColeFardreamer I also think the idea that Owen is Kenobi's brother is a good one. Possibly they're paternal half-brothers, and Kenobi never used the Lars surname, or alternatively, Obi-Wan was born Ben Lars? Stewjon has never been assigned a location as far as I can see, and could be either an alternative name of Ator or else a planet Cliegg visited beforehand. The two thoughts that come up here if they are brothers are 1. that Obi-Wan's recollection of three-cornered arguments about a "damn fool idealistic crusade" becomes much more plausible, and 2. whether this network of relationships is anything more than an extraordinary coincidence - does this mean that Obi-Wan was actually keeping an eye on things on Tatooine all along? Also 3. "you were my brother" becomes a whole lot more meaningful, because they're literal stepbrothers.

The movies don't tell us everything, and they have some omissions even within G-canon - Ahsoka has been completely edited-out, for example, though in hindsight she's a key component of why Vader becomes Vader.

(I still headcanon that Padmé is Wialu, too, which explains why she was bringing up Leia on Belsavis when the stormtroopers showed up)...

- The Imperial Ewok

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019