main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Gentlemen's Writing Guild

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by SkalenFehl, Dec 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SkalenFehl

SkalenFehl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    Welcome to the Gentlemen's Writing Guild; by the men, for the men. I am your host. This thread is intended for promoting the works of those of us of the male persuasion. Though vastly outnumbered by the ladies, we men once again have a haven of our own to shoot the breeze, but more importantly to recognize each other's works, to bring them into the light and hopefully keep them there.

I discovered that quite a while ago, that a "treehouse" was built and has long since been abandoned. This thread is not intended to replace it as a means for idle chatter, though it isn't discouraged. Ladies, of course, are welcome to interact.

So guys, come on in, kick your feet up, grab your favorite drink and share your works. I want to know that next time I read a story it was written by one of us. Also tell me a little about yourself, why you like Star Wars and why in the world you want to write stories. Is it a hobby or do you want to join the ranks of R.A. Salvatore, Michael A. Stackpole, and Timothy Zahn?

Note: I would like to organize an actual guild here to present an award hopefully on a monthly basis. This is all in good fun so don't take this too seriously, but please participate. Also feel free to post links to all your stories, especially new ones, here so we can enjoy some more action and angst. Feedback and replies to our stories are highly encouraged. Enjoy!

Update 12/04: The guild is an officially sanctioned organization and has permission from the all moderators per TOS and FAQ to issue monthly challenges and give awards to the winners. As your host I will frequently update the thread for those who have been out of the loop and for those new members who are finding their way into our chambers.

Also below you will see a "Highlights Section" which I will post and update here and in the first post for ease of navigating. If you wish to be highlighted please pm me with your sn and two or three of your best finished works per quarter (Jan-Mar, Apr-Jun, Jul-Sep, Oct-Dec) and I will publish it here. This will be for encouraging each other to post more often and provide feedback for each other's works. So whether you simply wish to receive critiques or are just a feedback junkie, this is the place. This will also serve to identify the staff and the guild members. Ladies are also welcome to pm me with their submissions as guests of the guild.

---

HIGHLIGHTS SECTION

December 2004

SkalenFehl (founder)

I Remember Now

Where Doesn't It hurt?

The Master

---

CodyMonKenobi

All Around Has Fallen

A Simple Man

---

_JM_

Vader's Quest Epilogue

---

CommanderConrad

Tainted Homeworld

Rescue

Last Stop

---

January-March 2005

Matthew_Wolverine

Tell Me I Was Dreaming.

Corellian Dreamer

Droids Meet Universe

---

CommanderConrad

Provider

---

R_Zion

T

jcgoble3 likes this.
  2. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    Well, I'll pop in. Hello everyone!

3. SkalenFehl

Jan 17, 2003
    Welcome sidious618. Tell us a little about yourself and share a couple of links to your fics for review.

4. _JM_

_JM_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    Like Sideous618 I?ll say hello.

I write stories because I?m deluded enough to think the ideas that pop into my head are worth sharing and that my language skills are up to the task. :p

Or at least I write stories when I make the time, which I didn?t manage to do for a while. At least I finally managed to get another story finished in time for the Winter awards. :)

5. BlindMan

BlindMan Jedi Master star 2

Nov 25, 2001
    Getting in line to apply for membership... :)

As to why I write stories? Well, it's just fun. It gives me a diversion from my less-than-ideal life situation, and if it gives other people a chuckle or two to brighten their mood, more's the better!

:) Blind Man

6. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    Finally a haven for us Gentlemen writers. Of course I only have one fic currently posted, that I'm writing.

7. SkalenFehl

Jan 17, 2003
    Welcome Gentlemen, _JM_, BlindMan, and Dev_Binks! I've been waiting for you.

While you're relaxing, take a moment to post a link to a story you're working on, or have worked on that you would like the rest of us to read and provide feedback. It's nice to see our works floating on the first page of each forum, be it the Saga, Beyond, or Before. Perhaps we can help each other hone our writing skills and make it enjoyable for the readers at large.

As others find their way here, I would like to implement our own awards ceremony, if you will, in 2005. I think a monthly GWG Award would be cool. So think about that great idea you've been shelfing and start jotting down notes. We can help each other along and get this going for January's award.

Also tell us what you would like to get out of this experience so that it becomes more enjoyable to come here. Let's keep this guild alive, shall we?

8. DarkDroid

DarkDroid Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2004
    Hello, fellow gentlemen.

I write mainly far future. I canceled my old fics and recently begun work on a supposedly never-ending epic. :D

9. CommanderConrad

CommanderConrad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2003
    Gentlemen's Guild, huh? Sounds high class. Let me get a glass of wine.

10. Jedi_BMK

Jedi_BMK Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2004
    Hey, I qualify. Although I'm not always gentle. But I'm sure I have that second part down.

Let's see. Why do I like Star Wars? I don't have a good answer other than it's been something I've been interested since I was six.

Why in the world do I write? I can't get the ideas out of my head, so why not share my insanity with others? :p Ok. To be serious, I just enjoy putting my ideas down and seeing what others think. (Even if I'm still on my fisrt story)

Now if you'll excuse me, CommanderConrad's post/signature gave me an idea. Now to find a drink and someone from Michigan to torment. :D

11. Vivid_Scripts

Vivid_Scripts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2004
    i've enjoyed writing for a long time, but it's only recently that I started Writing SW fics. I've been into star wars since i was five, but i was mostly doing original fics until I found a small site called Fanfiction.net. From there I made my way here and i'm one of the biggest junkies writing Saga-era AU stories.

I suppose I have asperations of someday being a published writer, but at the moment I just do this for fun. My main plan for life is still Business Administration... might be a history teacher...

12. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    I suppose I'll hang around.

By the way guys, I'll be needing more writers for a massive project I have in mind. If the idea of a SW magazine intrigues you, you may PM me. ;) :p

In anycase, how are you all, gentlemen?

13. Arin_Atona

Arin_Atona Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2004
    Ooh... a guys thread. I like.

*snaps fingers*

*a row of comfy La-Z-Boy recliners and fully-stocked mini-fridges appear out of thin air, arranged in a semicircle around a very modest 150" wall-mounted TV*

My kind of place.

Let's see... why do I write? Well, it's cheaper than dating and I can blow things up without getting arrested. I have aspirations of writing professionally someday (though not likely to be Star Wars), but for now I do it for fun.

I have one current fic, Cruel Honor over on the Beyond the Saga board, and another starting soon on the Before the Saga board.

As for the awards, what if we were to create a few categories and perhaps give an award out for one category each month? For example, we could give out an "Action" award one month, a "Humor" award another month, "Characterization", and so on. That way we wouldn't be bogged down with all kinds of things at once, and we would manage to draw attention to different writing styles. Yes? No? Go away?

14. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    *Comes in*

Hello all...

*Sits on a Lazy Boy*

Nice thread you got here...

Do you all need a bartender? I have experience.... I'm looking for a second job.... ya know, expenses these days... [face_mischief]

*Yawns*

15. CommanderConrad

Jan 30, 2003
    So guys, come on in, kick your feet up, grab your favorite drink and share your works. I want to know that next time I read a story it was written by one of us. Also tell me a little about yourself, why you like Star Wars and why in the world you want to write stories. Is it a hobby or do you want to join the ranks of R.A. Salvatore, Michael A. Stackpole, and Timothy Zahn?

Will do. I've always liked Star Wars (I can hardly remember a time when I didn't), and over the years I've gathered a bunch of ideas of what I'd like to see in a Star Wars novel. Eventually, I got of my butt and wrote them down (links are in my profile.) It's mostly just a hobby, though I wouldn't mind doing it professionaly.

Oh, yeah, and bartending is something I'm thinnking of getting into. So I can work at night and go to school during the day and all. And it'll pay better than Disney (those cheap bastards.)

Now to find a drink and someone from Michigan to torment.

Good man.

16. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    Well... I work at the Blue Moon Cantina on the EU Community Board.... and well, Evil_King_Wiggins doesn't pay me much..... actually, nothing at all....

Lols...

Figured I'd expand outwards...

You work for Disney? What do you do?

*Makes a Jeru Tea for himself in the thread kitchen*

*Comes back...*

17. CommanderConrad

Jan 30, 2003
    Well, my job and what I do are two different things. My job is in merchandise in Frontierland at the Magic Kingdom. What I do, though, is put on a hat and walk up and down the street, taking pictures with kids who think I'm a real cowboy. It's great for making the job fun and meeting women.

18. Sebulba2179

Sebulba2179 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    I'm in. It's nice to have a guys' thread again. :D

19. FORCE-WIELDER1

FORCE-WIELDER1 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 8, 2004
    A guys thread! This rocks! Um, I dont write, but can I still hang out here?

20. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    If you begin writing, perhaps... :p

21. _JM_

_JM_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    As I said I had rather a break in story writing, so the only "current" story I have is Vader's Quest: Epilogue (catchy title, eh). Still rather pleased to have got a nomination for "Readers' Choice Canon Interpretation, Male" for my interpretation of big Darth-V.

If you want to read my other three one-posters then the links (as with most people) are in my profile. :)

22. SkalenFehl

Jan 17, 2003
    Welcome everyone. It is early morning and I'm on my way to work. I'm a general contractor by trade and a writer/artist by way of fun.

I'm glad this thread has taken off and it seems to go in the right direction. I'll respond more to some thoughts and suggestions when I clock out tonight. In the meantime, no worries about "working" in this or other thread clubs, Imperial_Hammer. Everything's automated here. Just snap your fingers. Here we are all millionaires and have the finest recliners and forms of relaxation. (A guy's gotta dream a little, right?). Besides, our favorite recliners aren't called Lazyboys for nothing!

Anyway, for starters, I recommend we begin supporting each other's works by clicking on someone's story, reading it and actally leaving some feedback. There's never a hurry but if you're bored, why not? Catch you all later tonight.

23. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Being the Perfect English Gentleman, I belong here :D

Will tell you more about myself later.

24. FORCE-WIELDER1

FORCE-WIELDER1 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 8, 2004
    I guess I can't kick it here. :( laterz.

25. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Being a rather more imperfect Scottish gentleman, I'll probably just lurk, smoke cigars, and drink all the whisky...

- The Imperial Ewok

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.