main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Gentlemen's Writing Guild

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by SkalenFehl, Dec 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpeldoriontheBlended

SpeldoriontheBlended Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2002
    It's the Lastdark club! :p

*Sinks into a deep leather armchair, puts feet up on a footstool, and knits fingers high above head for a moment before picking up a pen and twirling it between his fingers*

It is official. I have been thinking about the His Dark Materials trilogy to much... :p

But yeah. Why do I write? Because I can, because I enjoy it, and because I'm a feedback junkie. And also because I talk about writing and being a writer so much that I should do some sometime to justify my position as windbag extraudonaire in English lessons... [face_mischief] Of the things I've got on the boards, I'll link to two: Over a Drink: The Bartender's Tale, which has had a slight edit (mostly grammar - it was fairly painful to read...) and a name change to make it fit in with the other 'fic I'm going to link to - Necropolis: The Soldier's Tale which is somewhat grimmer and (hopefully) better written. :)

Thrawn: I have no idea why, but I now have Cap'n Jack Sparrow asking me why all the rum's gone... :p

2. Arin_Atona

Arin_Atona Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2004
    McEwok: I'll probably just lurk, smoke cigars, and drink all the whisky...

Sounds like a good plan.

I'm curious, though... I've never had a smoke from your side of the pond. Anything good produced your way?

3. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    I'll intorduce myself:

Personally I like to write "epic" fiction. THe on in my sig is an example. It's a multi aouthor project with a new story every week. I write a lot of them but certainly not all of them.

I also enjoy writing humorous characters and wacky villians. If you're a fan of Doctor Who than you could say that Faction Paradox is something I'd enjoy writing.

4. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Blended: Let me get back to you when I can think of a way to combine references to Pullman and Pirates...

All I can think of right now is the fact that my room last year, where I watched my DVD of the film for the first time, overlooks the place in the street climax of the recent coda to the triology takes place...

Arin_Atona: Nope. Any drinkable beer or whisk(e)y from North America? :D

- The Imperial Ewok

5. Anakins-Angel-Padme

Anakins-Angel-Padme Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2002
    So.... this is like a guy's form of the Fortress (which has long since been co-ed) But it's still a replacement for the Treehouse? *is puzzled* :confused:

@};-

6. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    Uh-oh! Female alert! Souind the alarms! Gather the arms! ( :p )

7. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    Now, ladies, this thread is for us "gentlemen" only to promote themselves and to discuss writing, so being the gentleman that I am, I'm going to have to politely ask you to step out of the thread, please. :)

I promise we won't talk about you behind your back. ;)

8. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I think I'll drop by, from time to time.

Nice to see you, Thrawn.

9. Arin_Atona

Arin_Atona Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2004
    McEwok: Any drinkable beer or whisk(e)y from North America?

I like Crown Royal well enough (Canadian), but that's about it for whiskey (not a big whiskey drinker). As for beer, you have to poke around some of the more obscure labels to find really good ones. Flying Dog (Colorado, USA) makes a decent brew, but I tend to stick to local microbreweries if I want a good American beer (and there is such a thing - though elusive).

I generally run in terror from any beer I've ever seen the name of on the side of a blimp - American or no.

10. Darth_Elu

Darth_Elu Chosen One star 7

Jan 2, 2003
    I say the ladies get a special visiting room, where we talk through the glass so we don't get their cooties. [face_worried]

jk :p

11. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    Although I may not write fanfiction, I feel I can appreciate a good story...

*Sips some brandy*

I am a good writer though, I think Darth Elu can vouch for my abilities in my work in the Role Playing Thread... as I can for his...

I actually started a fan fic, but Its been a slow story... Its an interesting Earth meets Star Wars story...

*Raises an eyebrow at the women*

Hmmm... yes, well... hmmm....

:D

12. Darth_Elu

Jan 2, 2003
    *watches Imp* Hmm...

13. Anakins-Angel-Padme

Anakins-Angel-Padme Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2002
    *puts on fake mustache*

Yes, uh.... where'd all the rum go?

Hi, elu! Hi, imp! *gives anti-cootie spray*

@};-

14. Vivid_Scripts

Vivid_Scripts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2004
    I suppose it's alright to have a few ladies around- This is a Gentleman's club, afterall...
    ;) :p

Anyways, any ideas for our first project, Gentlemen? Skalen, you've said something about monthly awards? How can we start Organizing that and getting it together. I'm feelin that the first thing to do is get set on a topic/title for the award we intend to give on January

Ah yes, and there's a link to my latest Fic in my Sig [/ad]

15. SkalenFehl

SkalenFehl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    Alright! Welcome aboard everyone. I hope to see more guys walk in.

FORCE-WIELDER1, come back. You're always welcome to hang with us, you don't have to write, but this guild is for supporting and promoting each other's works. You are most welcome to try your hand at writing and even read our stories and share your feedback. If not you can play PS2 on the jumbo tron in the media room. :D

Anakins-Angel-Padme, as I stated in the first post, ladies are welcome to hang out with us. However I did create this thread because I just couldn't tell who the guys around here were. Everytime I thought a guy replied to my story, it turned out it was a girl. It made me wonder if I was alone. By creating a guild, we can have something to strive for within our ranks; by the men, for the men. It is not intended to become a competition against the women. It is not intended to isolate ourselves from the women either.

Allow me to differentiate between a guild and a club. In a club we hang out, burp, talk nonesense, shoot pool, play darts, etc. In a guild we hang out, burp, talk nonesense, shoot pool, play darts, but more importantly we associate for mutual aid and the promotion of common interests. In this case, writing Star Wars fanfics.

Okay, now that all that drivel is out of the way, on to business!

Arin_Atona wrote: As for the awards, what if we were to create a few categories and perhaps give an award out for one category each month? For example, we could give out an "Action" award one month, a "Humor" award another month, "Characterization", and so on. That way we wouldn't be bogged down with all kinds of things at once, and we would manage to draw attention to different writing styles.

Vivid_Scripts wrote: Anyways, any ideas for our first project, Gentlemen? Skalen, you've said something about monthly awards? How can we start Organizing that and getting it together. I'm feelin that the first thing to do is get set on a topic/title for the award we intend to give on January

I think we're on the right track. Three Categories have been suggested:

Action
    Humor
    Characterization

Let's come up with a few more worthy categories and we can vote on one for January 2005.

Also, I'm wondering if there should be any guidelines for the guild. After all we do want to set ourselves apart, right? We don't just want to be a club. I think there will be those of us who come here for some idle chatting and that's great, so do I. I also think that there are some of us who would like to challenge ourselves a little more and take this to a new level. That would also be me. We'll need to decide also how we will vote. If everyone submitted a story, I suppose each would vote for his own submission, lol. We would need to form a sort of committee for voting, etc. Who would be on this committee? How do we decide who qualifies? We have a whole month to figure this out, so think about it but don't burn up too many brain cells. By the way, it stands to reason that you must be a guy to be on this committee and you must be a guy to enter a submission for the monthly GWG awards.

I will assume the chair for the committee and turn it over to everyone. Okay, pass the lemonade!

16. flowerbee

flowerbee Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2004
    o_O *sprays cooties all over the place*

17. Darth_Elu

Jan 2, 2003
  18. JaersteinCysse

JaersteinCysse Jedi Master star 1

Apr 21, 2004
    g'day, I'm a guy so this appears to be a place friendly to my likes.

How y'all doin? I like to write star wars fic cause have lotsa stories and like to put myself into that galaxy far far away.

19. Jedi_BMK

Jedi_BMK Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2004
    *sprays cooties all over the place* :mad: flowerbee, you know what I do when I'm angry. Just remember my opinion of the Bothan. I won't hesitate to snap my fingers and get out my lightsaber. And I don't like having to get from from writing on my laptop at the Lazyboy while my favorite action scenes are on the big TV. So play nice. :p

Now that I've dealt with the estrogen problem, on to this awards thing.

My suggestion:

We announce a category for the month's award. Volunteers would be called for to serve as judges, but their work can't be considered for the award. SkalenFehl, as chair and founder, you would select 3 to 5 judges based on their submitted 'credentials' (or whoever you like best). Then, people could post an excerpt from one of their stories that shows why they deserve to be considered and a link to the full fic to the board to put themselves in the running. This allows everyone to get a taste of what others are up to and provides a forum to get our fics seen. After a few days of accepting these submissions, the judges would pick finalists from the excerpts and read more in depth over the course of a week or two to pick a winner.

We will want to work out some sort of rules, of course. Like a fic can only win once, the same author can't win two months running, etc. These can be hammered out as we figure out the process. After a winner is selected, we could offer them the chance to be chair for the next months awards and the cycle could start anew.

And as for categories, I like the ones up there now, but we could have fun and go for some more specific things like best duel, best space battle, etc (guy things of course). Or have special awards like that from time to time. Just a thought.

And for big categories, we could throw in drama and concept.

If anyone has another idea or wants to expand on this, go right ahead and post it.

20. SkalenFehl

Jan 17, 2003
    Welcome JaersteinCysse. As in my previous post, we have quite a bit to discuss. So grab a leather recliner, kick back and share your input.

Welcome flowerbee. Sorry this is a fully automated and cootie proof place. :p

Jedi_BMK, I like your ideas. Anyone else? In the meantime I'm off to bed. Another big day at the job site tomorrow.

21. SarkaVrae

SarkaVrae Jedi Master star 5

Jun 3, 2004
    well, my *master* is host to this thread, so I guess I should at least stop in and say hi to everyone. :)

Sounds very interesting and clever, Skalen. Hope all goes well, and if you guys need an honorary judge for any of your events and/or awards, I'd be glad to help out.

puts in a little Trance music to set the mood and sits down the one of the leather sofas :D

22. SkalenFehl

Jan 17, 2003
    Hi SarkaVrae! *Listens to trance music before going to bed* :D

23. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    In a club we hang out, burp, talk nonesense, shoot pool, play darts, etc. In a guild we hang out, burp, talk nonesense, shoot pool, play darts, but more importantly we associate for mutual aid and the promotion of common interests. [face_laugh] Sounds like fun!

What? :D

By the way, no offense, but I used to think that about half of you were girls. It's really hard to tell when there's no drooling over [insert male SW character] in a post. :p

24. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Here I thought Hermie'd be around to flirt with...*sulks off*

25. Mjsullivan

Mjsullivan Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2003
    What Ho, Gents? :D

As I came too late to the boards to enjoy the previous men-only thread here in the writer's resource, I think this is an excellent idea! If nothing else, it can be a refuge from mush ;) And plus, I'm right into anything that involves reclining on a lazyboy.

Most people that have read my stories will tell you I'd much rather be lazing about than updating them regularly, so this place is perfect for me. Oh, and speaking of stories, my one and only current story is linked in my signature. If I could describe it in one word, that word would be 'long'.

Hope to be spending alot more time here!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.