main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Gentlemen's Writing Guild

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by SkalenFehl, Dec 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigE

BigE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    I have posted the third and final segment of my response: The Siren's Call

I eagerly await everyone else's fics. :)

2. Corellian_Ale

Corellian_Ale Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 3, 2008
    I await my brain to finish typing it up... *sigh*

[face_praying] I hope I'm done by saturday...

3. SkalenFehl

SkalenFehl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    Exeter, wow, thank you for indexing that!! Sorry I've been gone a lot. Barely have time to log in these days, but weekends should be better. It's really good to see some of our old gents coming back. The GWG withstands the test of time!

4. Anime_Jedi

Anime_Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2007
    HI gents, doubt anyone remebers me.:p

This place is still kicking thats cool.:cool:

I had fic going but my beta took four motnhs editing the 1st chapter and that sorta killed the fic. So i'm having but luck with betas so thats why I'll mostly likely not write anything. I mean I could, but I suck at editing really bad.

I was wandering something, and that is why do you guys still write fics?

Yeah some will say its fun duh, but thats not the only reason.

I don't have any reasons to write well having bad luck with betas doesn't help much. That and I have no skill for it IMO.

5. BigE

BigE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    I remember you A_J (formerly known as KILIK).

Why do I still write? Crazy I guess. I don't know. It's just one of those left-brain things I like to tinker with on occasion.

There's a certain amount of satisfaction with a completed work of written word.

6. Anime_Jedi

Anime_Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2007
    I think I have bad timing and picked a bad time to show up again. Thatr might explain my beta problem.

Nice answer E, I guess I would say that I would write for fun.

Or just help someone write their on story.

Maybe I should just co write with people, nah I'd still want write my own stuff.:D

7. SkalenFehl

Jan 17, 2003
    A_J, aka KILIK, I remember you, of course! I write Star Wars fan fics, because it's a stage where I can play and improve my writing skills as I am eventually planning on being published. I wasn't the greatest when I started, but what has helped me to hone my style and ability is to keep writing small fics and also reading. A LOT! The more books I read, the more I began to see the styles of different writers and the way they used their grammar. It also helped that I did fairly well in English and literature in high school ages ago.

My best advice is to read lots of books. Go to your local discount bookstore and buy up lots of Star Wars or favorite fics and just read, read and read some more. Pay attention not only to the stories, but how they're told. You'll pick it up and as you write more, you'll develop your own style.

8. Affixed Scowler

Affixed Scowler Jedi Master star 2

Aug 15, 2005
    Part One of my challenge response due on Oct. 31

A Friendly Hunt- http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/30530309/p1/

9. Corellian_Ale

Mar 3, 2008
    Dang it!!!! :mad:

I've been working on it for 2 days and nothing is translating onto paper like it is in my head. :mad: I'm not going to make the deadline lads...

10. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    *twhacks Ale*
    [face_shame_on_you]

11. Exeter

Exeter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Alright, looks like it'll be BigE v. ZEGO in a titanic GWG grudge match.

The entries are:

The Siren's Call by BigE
    A Friendly Hunt by ZEGO

MsLanna, Almerus, and Skalen volunteered to judge the challenge. However, it looks like Almerus hasn't logged on in a few weeks so we should probably make sure we've got a third judge just for bureaucracy's sake. I personally nominate ale as pennance for his dishonorable failure to finish his entry in time (like I have room to talk). If Almerus does show up, of course he's welcome to judge as well.

So, as a convenient reminder, here's the rubric we're using:

The only guidelines for this challenge were:

Judges, just send your results to me in a PM once you have them finished up. There's no deadline, but I figure a week or two should be plenty of time since we only have the two entries this time around. Once I have all of the results, I'll average them together and present the winner with his Guild Victory Ribbon? and the other guy with a great opportunity to launch a campaign of bloody vengeance. Er, I mean, to jump back in for the next challenge.

Thanks again to ale, who came up with the challenge topic, the gents who participated, everybody who made an effort (we're back to ale again :p), and our judges. You folks are really breathing some life back into the GWG and it's great to see.

12. BigE

BigE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Grudge match? What??

I have nothing against the man! :p

13. correllian_ale

correllian_ale Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Sure I'll judge in this classic knock-down drag out battle royale!

* Aaannd BigE comes out swinging... but look out for that patented ZEGO uppercut... GOOD GOD FOLKS!!! Put the women and children to bed for this one! Aunt Loopy is out on the town tonight!*

14. Exeter

Feb 2, 2005
    That's not what I heard... [face_whistling] [face_laugh]

15. Affixed Scowler

Aug 15, 2005
    Nah, BigE's my dawg. lol

And the I think it's been long enough to post the second part of my challenge post: A Friendly Hunt.

Pt. 2- http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/30530309/p1/

16. Affixed Scowler

Aug 15, 2005
    The conclusion to A Friendly Hunt is up, gents.

Pt.3- http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/30530309/p1/

17. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Okay, I managed to read and judge the stories.
    Not easy, guys. Not easy at all....

18. SkalenFehl

Jan 17, 2003
    Ok, gang, I finally made it back. Been working two jobs with mandatory overtime while building my new fitness business and finally have the weekend to myself. Just got home from my day job, but need to catch some sleep. I'll catch up and see if I can have these stories judged by this weekend. I'll also see if I can dig up the prizes. I have the jpeg images stored on a disc somewhere. Anyone remember them? :D

19. Exeter

Feb 2, 2005
    Don't worry about digging up the prize images, Skalen! I found 'em a few weeks ago and uploaded them.

Glad to see you strong-armed your way into some free time.

20. Corellian_Ale

Mar 3, 2008
    Got all caught up in Nano lads, but WILL read and judge this weekend. Can't wait. =P~

21. SkalenFehl

Jan 17, 2003
    I just read and commented on both stories. I really enjoyed both, each for their own style and creativity. I should have some time to get results worked up and sent in by this evening. I really miss writing. I think I have an old thriller that I never posted. It's a Halloween story. I'll see if I can get it posted tonight if anyone's interested. It's a very short story, a bit shorter than our two entries.

Edit: I just found it and posted it:

NEMESIS

22. Affixed Scowler

Aug 15, 2005
    Just wanted to say thanks to you, Skalen, and Ms Lanna for the nice comments. I'll be crossing my fingers for a victory and my first challenge win. Though, losing to BigE would be okay on account of how good of a writer he is. :D

Oh, and if you liked that entry, Skalen, just wait until you read the next installment of Gamma Cell. Yep, it's coming back. ;) lol

23. SkalenFehl

Jan 17, 2003
    That's awesome, ZEGO! I can't wait! Gamma Cell has been really fun to work on!

24. Corellian_Ale

Mar 3, 2008
    And last but usually least... ;) Just PMed my scoring to Ex, fantastic job to both gents. I'm really impressed and disappointed I haven't read more of your fics before. ;)

Good luck to both!

25. Exeter

Feb 2, 2005
    RESULTS: THE GWG OCTOBER 2009 CHALLENGE AND SCORES??SHIPWRECKED?

Entries

The Siren's Call by BigE
    A Friendly Hunt by ZEGO

Scores

SkalenFehl

Title: The Siren?s Call
    Author: Big E
    Overall Creativity - 9
    Writing Ability: 8
    Grammar/Mechanics - 7
    Did the story stick to the guidelines -10
    On a scale of 1-10 (10 being the best) how much did you enjoy this piece? - 9
    Total x2 ? 86 %
    Comments: This was a very creative story. I enjoyed your description of the setting and your ability to put me in the mind of the main character. Your writing skills and grammar need some improvement and that will evolve with your own style, but once you?ve polished that, you will make a master story teller.

Title: A Friendly Hunt
    Author: ZEGO
    Overall Creativity - 7
    Writing Ability: 10
    Grammar/Mechanics - 10
    Did the story stick to the guidelines -10
    On a scale of 1-10 (10 being the best) how much did you enjoy this piece? - 8
    Total x2 ? 90 %
    Comments: This was masterfully written with all the elements of a good story. I really sympathized with the main character. You have a captivating style of writing and your delivery was flawless and kept me engaged to the end.

MsLanna

Title: The Siren's Call
    Author: BigE
    Overall Creativity - 7
    Writing Ability (no plot holes, made sense, wasn't rushed) - 8
    Grammar/Mechanics - 8
    Did the story stick to the guidelines (did the author follow the guidelines or just did his own thing?)? - 10
    On a scale of 1-10 how much did you enjoy this piece? - 8
    Total: 82
    Comments: Solid writing and the tension is built very well.

Overall creativity: 9
    Writing Ability: 7
    Grammar/Mechanics: 7
    Guidelines: 10
    Scale of 1-10 how much did you enjoy this piece?: 7
    Total: 80
    Comments: The twist at the end comes as a big surprise. The hints are in the story though. Very well planned out.

Corellian_Ale

Title: The Siren?s Call
    Author: BigE
    Overall creativity: 7
    Writing Ability: 8
    Grammar/Mechanics: 8
    Scale of 1-10: 8
    Total x2: 82%
    Comments: Liked the technical touches: He was crossing the orbital path of the moons. The Alpheus shuddered violently for a brief moment. & Small, dark?he didn?t notice it before. Much too small to exert a gravitational pull this far out, and yet the evidence was clear. The planet seemed to have two small moons with orbits farther out than a typical planet this size, but he reasoned that this should be expected with such a strong pull.

Overall creativity: 7
    Writing Ability: 7
    Grammar/Mechanics: 6
    Scale of 1-10: 8
    Total x2: 76%
    Comments: First paragraph felt ?odd?, but after that the pace was sound. Exactly the type of story I was thinking: Lost meets M. Night Shamalan-esque

Totals (Averaged)

BigE: 83.3
    ZEGO: 82.0

The award winners of this month's challenge are:

First Place: BigE [image=http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/8880/goldcup.gif]

Second Place: ZEGO [image=http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/925/blueribbonsmall.gif]

Yes, that's right. You're both winners in our eyes [face_dancing] [face_laugh]

Congratulations to both of you and a round of applause to everyone who helped make it happen?especially our judges!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.