main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The Girl who Would be Queen - the Diary of Layne Djo-Solo - Completed Jan 14

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jade_Max, Jan 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    Title: The Girl Who Would be Queen - The Diary of Layne Djo-Solo
    Author: Jade_Max
    Timeframe: Homecoming and Post Homecoming
    Characters: Layne Djo-Solo
    Summary: Layne's diary on what it is to be Chume'Da, her family
    Notes: Written for the "dear diary" challenge on the resource board. Semi-Companion piece to Homecoming

The Girl Who Would be Queen - The Diary of Layne Djo-Solo

Layne Djo-Solo
    Entry 1 - Gidden's Return

Gidden returned home today.

Where to begin with the events of today? Do I start with the regular sessions mother and father insist I attend; the ones where I watch and mark those who do not speak their grievances because they do not trust Jedi? The ones who speak overly much for fear the Jedi will see or sense what they truly feel? Or perhaps I should tell of the simpering, fawning fops who grace the court daily in the hopes of winning the privilege of courting me?

I do not think I will begin in any of these places. I will simply begin with this.

Gidden returned home today.

He returned and, to everyone's shock but my own, handed me the title that should have been mine at birth. Chume'Da; heir to the Hapan throne. I do not begrudge my brother his former title. He did not choose it; he was assigned it by my misguided parents. For they were misguided. I love my brother, but Gidden has never desired to be the heir apparent to the Hapan throne. He has never desired the fame, nor the fortune; he has never desired the attention it has brought on him.

He has been away for many years. Years in which our correspondences have fairly rung with his desire for escape. Escape from the responsibilities and the notoriety. He has often written to me asking if I would like to step into the role, or if I would mind if he stepped back. He has asked my permission and received it.

The fact of the matter is simple. I know not how to be anything but the Chume'Da. For while Gidden may have held the title, I practiced it. I learned politics while my parents were teaching my siblings to fence. I learned etiquette and intrigue as my siblings learned to control their tempers. I often watched the holos of my mother's grandmother's personal diary on the circumstances that brought my mother to power, and while I find her insights intriguing, I do not trust them. I know too much of her history, including the assassination of my Grandfather's brother, to trust her.

I will not fail to respect her, though. Or, I should say, I did not fail to respect her. For Ta'a Chume has been dead for years. I was not surprised at her low profile burial, or that her death was not announced immediately. Mother is a shrewd politician; she knows that presenting the people with a fait-accomplit will be better accepted than presenting them with one that has no closure. For there was closure in the fact that Ta'a Chume had not been seen nor heard from and the public has been permitted access to her grave site.

I disagree with mother on this point, but her logic has proven sound. Few tears were shed for the old woman. And yet, in comparison, many tears were shed when Gidden took his leave to obtain his Jedi Knight rank. Women of all the houses cried, including our own. Tana in particular made a spectacle of herself.

I suppose I can't blame her for not wanting him to leave, but now, after five years, will she relish his return? I hope that, if nothing else, that his presence will calm her reckless behavior. I feel compelled to reiterate that, with Gidden's return, I have been granted the title that was rightfully mine. It is almost unbelievable, despite the fact I was expecting it.

Now, perhaps, I can convince mother and father to marry Tana to Cyris to put an end to her wild ways once and for all. Hopefully before she brings more shame down upon our fam

2. jdd

jdd Jedi Knight

Jun 17, 2006
    Reading this makes me glad to have my little brother and sister. Even if they do drive my out of my mind. I worry about Layne.

3. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Wait a minute. I thought Ta'a Chume died before Layne was born. Despite this, she definitely inherited Ta'a Chume's ambitions.

4. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    PM me when you update, please.

5. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    A most interesting diary! I can't wait to read more. :D

=D=

6. nikjo88

nikjo88 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 13, 2005
    It will be interesting to see the situation from Layne's point of view.
    I still think that she's not suitable to be queen mother..too ambitious for her own good....maybe it'll get better with age.

7. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    jdd - *chuckle* I have three brothers, and no sisters, but I completely agree. And Layne... be worried. She?s got a lot of issues to work out through something like this ;) Thanks for reading!

JediAlly ? ACK! Continuity issue! *runs back to fix it* Thank you, thank you, thank you for catching that ? I?ve readjusted the log to reflect it.. I can?t believe I forgot about that!

SilSolo ? Certainly; I?d be happy to PM you :)

VaderLVR64 ? I?m hoping I can keep it interesting. After everyone was so negative with Layne, I?m hoping to show her side of things...

nikjo88 - *grin* that?s what I thought. There will be things in here that aren?t in ?Homecoming? because Layne is mostly a watcher for a good portion of it and spends a lot of her time with other pursuits. It?s when we get into ?post Homecoming? things will get very, very interesting.

And there?s nothing wrong with an ambitious Queen Mother. Just as Tenel Ka?s Grandmother! *laughs*

8. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    Layne Djo-Solo
    Entry 2 - The Attack on Tana

My dear, sweet sister was attacked yesterday evening in the gardens of our own Palace! I should be shocked and appalled. I'm not. A part of me is just numb and I can't help but think she brought this on herself.

That she wasn't attacked before now is a mystery - but to be attacked on the very night Gidden returns home? Please! I do not know if she contrived the whole matter as a way to gain his attention - for I would not put it beyond her - of if I should believe that it was in fact genuine.

I remember how Tana cried constantly when he left, seeking other pursuits than her company. And who could fault him for it? Gidden was the Chume'Da, a highly sough after young man in the position to inherit the throne of the Hapes cluster. Why would he stay here with plain, troublesome Tana? I think it was a good thing he left. It gave him a confidence that he would never have acquired if he'd stayed at home. I can see it in his postures and speech patterns. He is very sure of his abilities.

Yet, I can sometimes see the vulnerability of his younger self. I know he rescued Tana. It was a daring and noble thing to do - in his sleep shorts no less! Mother's Grandmother would have been mortified. Well... perhaps annoyed; I'm certain she never saved anyone in her sleep clothes. Of course, she arranged for assassins on more than one occasion to prevent becoming a target herself so I cannot see her running to anyone's rescue, let alone in her sleep clothes.

Tana has never taken her lessons to heart and I do not believe she ever took any lesson not taught by Gidden seriously. Mother has tried, and has far more patience than I, to get her to see the errors of her ways, but this incident is just another in a long line of scandals that I'm determined to put a stop to.

I may be Chume'Da, but if Tana is unable to behave herself and continues to bring down shame upon our family, I will find no suitable male willing to be my consort! Imagine! A Queen Mother as a form of amusement to her people based on the acts of her siblings. It has never happened as former Queens have often assassinated siblings, parents, cousins, aunts and uncles to achieve absolute control over the throne.

I find myself loathe to follow this path, despite mother's grandmother having suggested it many times in her journals as an acceptable way of dealing with a problem. Why? I suppose I feel some kind of loyalty to her. She is my sister, for all her faults. Mother has asked me to be patient with her and I feel I have been. But my patience is wearing thin. Tana does not listen to me; has no time for discussion or even the meetings I arrange for her with Cyris. Oh, she's polite, but I do not think she understands that Cyris is the only male of her class who has an even remote interest in her.

Tana needs to learn humility and perhaps, just perhaps, Cyris can teach her.

9. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Boy this Layne is some piece of work! :eek:

=D=

10. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    Yeah, Layne really is some piece of work. Nice job.

11. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    Based on how Tana's been acting, she might have brought some things upon herself. But not the attack.

Have to wonder if any other ladies in the Palace caught Gidden running to Tana's rescue in his sleepwear. The image might swoon some of them. I can also hear them think, "Ooh, I hope he comes to my rescue someday. I can already imagine how it would feel to be carried in the arms of that man with such a physique."

I think Layne's being too harsh on herself and on Tana.

12. TnTornado

TnTornado Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2006
    Wow, this girl has some big issues - she may have said that listening to Ta'a Chumes diarys didn't do anything to her, but it sure looks like it influenced her more then she realized.

She seems pretty heartless to me.

TnTornado

13. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    VaderLVR64 ? Yes, yes she is, but I think as I go through this, people will begin to empathize with her ? probably even pity her.

SilSolo ? Thanks!

JediAlly ? I agree; no matter what Tana?s actions, she didn?t bring the attack down on herself. But guess who interrogates the prisoners...

*laughs* I can just imagine. The women of the palace swooning over Gidden *laughs* And yes, I think you?re right. Layne is being very harsh on her sister and herself.

TnTornado ? Huge issues ? she grew up as a very solitary child who felt alienated because of her differences. TK and Jacen indulged her too, but there will be some things that happen which will help her focus shift. And I agree. Ta?a Chume?s diaries probably hindered more than helped?

[b]Layne Djo-Solo
    Entry 3 - Cyris[/b]

Tana does not know a good thing when she sees it! The nerve of her, turning down my carefully arranged luncheon with Cyris to spend a day in her garden? I've a mind to tell her a thing or two. Perhaps three.

Cyris is a kind man; a good man. Good for Tana, that is. In looks he is the typical Hapan noble, I suppose. Handsome, tall and strong. He is willing to cater to a woman's needs and wants, as is customary in Hapan customs. He is obedient, but willing to say no if he does not agree. He is intelligent, like mother's father, and not afraid to use that intelligence to obtain what he seeks. He knows his place and knows when not to speak; a silence that is a blessing as much as a curse. For I have had many discussions with him and found that silence to be nerve wracking. Tana appears to relish her silence.

I do not see the problem; she should adore him.

Oh, wait; he is not blonde. That must be it. Tana has a penchant for men who resemble our older brother. Something I do not and cannot understand. Gidden is family; to be seen with someone who closely resembles him has only added layers to the distasteful gossip. Layers that were not needed.

I suppose it would make sense then that Tana is not attracted to the most handsome man in the court; Cyris has straight black hair, as different from Gidden's as possible, though it is still stylishly cut and not left to the ravages of nature like my dear brother's. Perhaps Cyris is everything she wishes she could be ? poised and elegant and not to mention gorgeous! I do not see how she cannot understand that it would do her own plain looks no harm to be seen with an attractive and stylish male like Cyris.

Alas, my dear sister does not see the point. She is more interested in that garden of hers than the companionship of a man. At least, a man she has not chosen for herself.

I swear, Tana should never be allowed to choose her companions. I try to help her and this is how she repays me. Neglecting Cyris, breaking the arrangements she's known about for the better part of the past month, turning her nose up at my careful preparations! You would think Gidden's return would have enforced better behavior since that was her goal from the beginning, but it has done nothing but made her withdraw.

I suppose I will simply have to go in her place and offer apologies to Cyris. Perhaps, if he has the afternoon free, I will ask him to model for me once more. There are no more perfect specimens of masculine beauty than he.

14. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004

I suppose I will simply have to go in her place and offer apologies to Cyris. Perhaps, if he has the afternoon free, I will ask him to model for me once more. There are no more perfect specimens of masculine beauty than he

Sounds like a fun way to spend the afternoon!

15. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    Sounds to me Layne is more interested in having Cyris for herself than arranging a marriage between him and Tana.

16. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    Yeah, Layne and Cyris sounds like a good couple, even if she doesn't admit that she wants him for herself.

17. AvenKiel

AvenKiel Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2003
    What a hussy!

18. Emerald_Lady

Emerald_Lady Jedi Master star 3

Dec 18, 2006
    Wow, Layne's quite the little b****, isn't she? I find it hard to see Jacen and Tenel Ka raising such a child, but it does make for some interesting plot points. ;) If Ta'a Chume were still around, she'd be proud.

19. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    VaderLVR64 - *grin* indeed. I can?t think of a more fun way if I were her ? maybe she?ll convince him to pose rather indecently *laughs*

JediAlly ? Ah, but is Layne aware of her feelings? She may see Cyris as beneath her; while good enough for her sister, not good enough for the Chume?Da?s consort.

SilSolo ? Indeed. Cyris is her opposite though. Which makes things difficult. Plus, Layne?s always had trouble seeing what?s right in front of her nose; too busy looking at the bigger picture.

AvenKiel ? Indeed!

Emerald_Lady - *chuckle* What, you don?t think that the only non-force sensitive child in the family wouldn?t be at least slightly resentful of her siblings? She?s a very bitter, jilted young woman who feels a certain sister should have been the one without Force powers, not she. And I think if Ta?a Chume had been around, it might have zapped Layne into a right mind of thinking. She?s not unaware of what her mother?s grandmother was ;)

[b]Layne Djo-Solo
    Entry 4 ? Force Facts of Life[/b]

Today was a dull day. Mother and Father insisted on a family gathering in Tana?s garden. Tana?s garden. Imagine. The garden belongs to the Palace, not to my bratty sister. Not that I've ever been able to convince anyone else of that fact. I must admit though; Tana has an excellent eye for detail.

I brought my easel with me today and set up apart from the rest of the family. I am content to allow them their space, and they allow me mine. I rarely fit into family gatherings without Grandpa Han. At least, if he were here, I'd have someone who could understand what it was not to be a super human.

Mother has tried to explain the situation, but in reality, she and Father understand me as much as I understand them. Which is to say not at all. Mother tries, Father indulges me - I often think he does so to make up for my differences. To make up for my lack of Force abilities; abilities that should have been mine but were denied me.

Jarid... he has tried to explain the situation and, to be fair, does not flaunt his powers with me. Of all my siblings I am closest to him. It is Jarid that feels the doubts I have. It is Jarid that sees I am not as confident in taking the title of Chume'Da as I would have others believe. It is Jarid who understands me better than I sometimes known my own thoughts.

He claims it is because he can sense me, faintly, through the Force. Father explained it as a Twin Bond. Something he had with Aunt Jaina but dissolved during the war. Jarid has something similar with Tana but, he confided in me that he had always felt her bond with Gidden turned it dormant. That Tana acknowledges a stronger bond with Gidden than her own flesh and blood.

I know not, nor do I care, for the in-depth details behind it. Force talk bores me. I find that the older I get, the more their Force antics annoy me. I cannot help it. I am the only child without Force sensitivity. While unfair - I am the oldest of the triplets - I suppose I would be much too much to contend with if I did have their abilities. Mother has often said I am a powerful enough presence without them. If I had them, I'd be overpowering.

Ah, the injustice of life. Perhaps Tana would listen to me if I had Force abilities. But, alas, I do not. As a young child I often wondered what it would be like to challenge my siblings on their own ground; to know the rush of using a greater power beyond yourself to accomplish that which you desire. To know the feel of wonderment and excitement the first time the Force responds as you command it to. To know the secrets of the future and past, to have fragments reveals and concealed.

But, it is not to be so and I will never know.

20. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    But wouldn't Isolder understand Layne as well? Nice update.

21. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    It seems to me that Layne might be comfortable with Leia. True, Leia has Force abilities, but she rarely uses them. And we all know what a hard time Leia had in just accepting she's a Skywalker.

At least she seems to have a good realtionship with one person who has Force abilities.

Nice look into Layne's feelings towards her family and their ability to use the Force.

Oddly enough, I think the one who might understand her the best is Anakin Solo. Even he felt he was different than the other members of his family.

22. Emerald_Lady

Dec 18, 2006
    Ah, the ice queen becomes more sympathetic...;) I like it. This is a great insight into her character. Being left out of your own family would make most people bitter, and she certainly is formidable even without the Force. I look forward to the next journey through Layne's head. (Very cool spelling of her name, btw.) :D

23. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Great update. I am starting to feel a little bit sorry for Layne. Just a little bit. :p

Mother has tried to explain the situation, but in reality, she and Father understand me as much as I understand them. Which is to say not at all. Mother tries, Father indulges me - I often think he does so to make up for my differences. To make up for my lack of Force abilities; abilities that should have been mine but were denied me.

Wonderful! =D=

24. Emerald_Lady

Dec 18, 2006
    Up! Whatever happened to baby Layne? :_|

25. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    SilSolo ? Isolder would, but with Tenel Ka and Jacen so occupied with raising their family, he?s seen even less than Han and Leia. So yeah, he would understand, but it?s rare he ever sees his grand children. Call it his gift to his daughter ;)

JediAlly ? Layne?s very comfortable with her grandparents as a whole, it?s just that grandpa Han is the one she?s most comfortable with.

Oddly enough, I think the one who might understand her the best is Anakin Solo. Even he felt he was different than the other members of his family.

*laughs* you know? that just might be a point. I hadn?t even considered that *ponders* And Anakin?s alive in this scenario too?

Emerald_Lady ? The ice queen façade just the shell ? don?t be surprised once Layne?s real feelings come out. She?s not really an unfeeling character ? she?s just misunderstood. Glad you like her name ;)

More to come ? it?s going to be updated twice, maybe three times a month, so it won?t be as frequent as my other stuff.

VaderLVR64 ? Good good, my evil plan is working! *rubs hands together*

[b]Layne Djo-Solo
    Entry 5 - Glorified Babysitter[/b]

I was reduced to babysitter today.

Me! The Chume'Da! Babysitting a couple of bratty, stuck up, snot nosed kids. It was insulting! But, of course I had no choice. Mother would never have taken no for an answer - not when she had Tana to consider.

How is it that I, the eldest and least privileged child in the family - barring Gidden of course - am unable to obtain an afternoon of my own mother's time? She will not pose for me anymore. She has time only for conducting the lessons I will require for my role as Queen Mother. Not that I wish mother's health to fail, or her reign to end soon. She is a skilled politician, despite her grandmother's spiteful diary entries stating she would never amount to anything. I find it appalling that mother's grandmother tried to assassinate her.

Mother, however, would be wiser to select a Force Sensitive babysitter for Kalen, Allana, Kym and Sayl. The indignities I am put through at their hands!

Imagine this. I asked nicely if those children would pose for me. Allana is always willing; she dreams of being a holo-actress, of all things. Kalen must be convinced. Their friends, Uncle Kyp's children, take bribery. Happy I could spend the afternoon doing something that pleased me while attempting to assist my mother, imagine my indignation when they stole my paint brushes and hung them, suspended, by using the Force!

Mother has spoken with the whole family about flaunting their powers in front of me. Uncle Kyp's children have no such qualms. I may be Chume'Da but once they get bored, they are holy terrors! It never stops with my pain brushes. Next go my paints. Then my canvas. They even try to lift [i]me[/i] off the ground! Bratty kids! Mother will certainly hear about it at dinner this evening.

I was tempted not to tell her, but when Kalen up-ended a jar of my best pure black paint on my hair and dress, I knew I couldn't avoid it. They laughed - laughed! - at me and I finished what they had started. I may be a princess, but mother did insist we all learn some basics in self-defense. I believe they forgot about these lessons.

The reminder won't be fading any time soon. I may have black streaks in my hair until I can find where they hid my solvent, but they will have no dinner tonight and no breakfast in the morning as punishment.

Brats; I'll teach them to try and push [i]me[/i] around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.