main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The Girl who Would be Queen - the Diary of Layne Djo-Solo - Completed Jan 14

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jade_Max, Jan 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emerald_Lady

Emerald_Lady Jedi Master star 3

Dec 18, 2006
    Screams are such sweet music when drawn for the right reasons.

[face_laugh] What a killer opening line. ;)

It is common knowledge that I am not Force Sensitive, and I use that to my advantage.

As far as her political aspirations are concerned, Layne may eventually be happy she's not Force-sensitive, just because it does give her such a potent psychological advantage.

Why would I inflict pain, physical pain that is, when I can often talk circles around those in the dungeons?

Well, there is something to be said for finesse. [face_mischief]

Mother's grandmother never could see the usefulness of the male species beyond standing stud.

[face_laugh] :_| [face_laugh] I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything while I read this, or I would have spit it all over the monitor at this point. I see Layne's inherited her mother's merciless bluntness. [face_laugh]

Some are witty, others charming and all are subject to a beautiful woman's charms. And I am more beauteous than most.

[face_laugh] And humble too. ;)

Dennig will be used - as he sought to use my sister - and then discarded for the sake of justice.

*snickers evilly* Payback's a shenbit.

2. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    how sweet and evil

3. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    VaderLVR64 ? I think Layne has had to be one tough cookie.

JediAlly ? Yeah, but I think if Layne were Force Sensitive she?d be a very different character; similar almost in all ways to Tenel Ka. Being the only non-force sensitive member must be a very liberating experience when you can throw a temper tantrum and not worry about having one thrown in return *grin*

Emerald_Lady - *laughs* Thanks,. I love these journal entries ? they?re a lot of fun. And you?re right, Layne is very much like her mother. In more ways than one, but there are fundamental differences too, as are pretty obvious.

SilSolo ? Thanks Sil ? I don?t suppose I could talk you into doing a commission for me, could I?

[b]Layne Djo-Solo
    Entry 11 - Jana[/b]

I cannot believe mother keeps her around! Imagine, encouraging such shameful behavior between siblings!

I do not know what good she can possibly see coming of this situation by [i]encouraging[/i] my brother to chase after my sister. Happiness? What happiness can they possibly achieve when they will be shunned, outcast from a society that barely recognizes the male's rights even now, let alone the rights of adopted males.

Certainly mother and father attempted to change the outlook, but Gidden knew the people would never be able to accept him - even if he'd wanted to be accepted. Which he doesn't. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by his attachment to Tana, but I simply cannot abide the encouragement he's been receiving from mother's most trusted advisor.

Follow his heart? Happiness is worth the risk? Love is special? What nonsense!

Mother and father may be a love match, but I highly doubt that their relationship would have been easier or even accepted, if father had been raised as mother's brother. Or vice-versa. I can just see the scandal. And Jana in the middle of it, urging them to disregard public favor to satisfy their own selfish desires.

Why is it that I am the only voice of reason in this turbulent situation?

Am I the only one not blinded by the ideal of love and the gains that must come of it? Am I the only one who can see beyond this moment to the next five or ten years? Am I the only one who sees heartache ahead as they strive to fit into a xenophobic culture who has little tolerance for those who are different? And no tolerance for those who would buck society's norms, despite their social standing? Tana's already an outcast; Jana's encouragement of their new relationship will only make things more difficult.

To make matters worse, I am the only voice no one is listening too! I simply refuse to take the blame for this fiasco - I should wash my hands of it; but they are family. And Families, no matter how strained, do not turn their backs on one another.

Jana however... I believe I will need to speak with her about her current position - or lack thereof when I am Queen Mother. Hopefully it will curb her tongue.

4. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    ah poor stressed Layne. So practical, so Hapan and yet so loyal.

5. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    She's very much acting and thinking like a politician. I get the feeling though that she's going to be living a lonely life. She doesn't seem to have much loyalty for or appreciation of those who are "friends of the family".

6. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Am I the only one not blinded by the ideal of love and the gains that must come of it? Am I the only one who can see beyond this moment to the next five or ten years? Am I the only one who sees heartache ahead as they strive to fit into a xenophobic culture who has little tolerance for those who are different? And no tolerance for those who would buck society's norms, despite their social standing? Tana's already an outcast; Jana's encouragement of their new relationship will only make things more difficult.

I'm sure she does see herself as the only "reasonable" one. And that makes this even sadder. :(

A lovely update! =D=

7. Emerald_Lady

Dec 18, 2006
    Certainly mother and father attempted to change the outlook, but Gidden knew the people would never be able to accept him - even if he'd wanted to be accepted.

I guess the family's fierce independence has rubbed off on him. ;)

Follow his heart? Happiness is worth the risk? Love is special? What nonsense!

Ah, poor Layne. This made me laugh and feel sorry for her at the same time. But why do I think she might come across someone who will change her mind? [face_mischief]

8. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    SilSolo ? I think Layne?s having an identity crisis. She?s not entirely certain where she should be going from here, but you?re right, she?s very much Hapan born and bread. Even her parents couldn?t shield her from the reality ? and probably didn?t try.

JediAlly ? Layne?s political thinking is more of a self-defense, I think. She doesn?t quite understand the ?reality? of the galaxy as she?s never left Hapes. That?s something that will come later, so she?s sadly lacking the real world experiences Gidden has acquired. She hasn?t yet learned about loyalty, not the kind that saves lives, and when she does it?s going to be an eye opener.

VaderLVR64 ? Layne needs a reality check, and she?s going to get one, a very bad one, shortly.

Emerald_Lady ? Indeed, Gidden may not be related by blood, but he?s certainly got the Solo/Djo flare for independence and wanting to make his own way. It?s part of his charm.

Ah, poor Layne. This made me laugh and feel sorry for her at the same time. But why do I think she might come across someone who will change her mind?

*chuckle* I think that was the intention. Layne is a very isolated child in a world where exceptional is ?normal?. She doesn?t feel exceptional so I think she?s trying to compensate. And it?s going to take someone very special ? and very determined ? to get past her defenses.

[b]Layne Djo-Solo
    Entry 12 - Ultimatum[/b]

Me [i]dear[/i] brother simply does not understand politics. He actually demanded I stop trying to marry Tana to Cyris today. Imagine that! He told me Tana was not interested. Not interested? In Cyris?

The girl must be blind!

Until this afternoon, I had a hard time understanding why Gidden was so dead set on preventing this match that I overlooked the obvious. He's in love with her. If he was not, he would not have boldly informed me that Tana was his.

Ha! His! As if one can own another person.

Still, it was a rather impassioned speech for Gidden. I admit I had expected reluctance on Tana's part, I have even planned for it, but for Gidden to be the vessel in which I am exposed to her displeasure? It was most unnerving. A new plot for my sister to be certain. Face to face, for all her Force abilities, she has never been able to tell me no.

Not since Gidden left.

Of course, now that he has returned, she is proving to be more stubborn than in his absence.

Perhaps it is not Tana whom I should be focusing on, but Gidden. Perhaps I should have a discussion with him, rationally, about the problem. Of course, I have tried this already, but if I make him see he is too close to the problem that is Tana - blinded by [i]brotherly[/i] affection - it's possible he might just come to my way of thinking. But then there is that small voice in the back of my head warning me not to intrude. I shan't listen of course - the scandal they could cause would be disastrous.

Of course, if I focus all of my efforts on turning Gidden away from Tana, it is possible I shall simply push him into doing something rash - like disowning the family - but I credit him with being more level headed than that!

9. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    I have to chuckle at this one. She has no idea her plan is going to blow up in her face, or how big an explosion it's going to occur.

10. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    and so she keeps plotting

11. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Of course, if I focus all of my efforts on turning Gidden away from Tana, it is possible I shall simply push him into doing something rash - like disowning the family - but I credit him with being more level headed than that!

Are you sure she's not related to Palpatine? [face_mischief]

12. Emerald_Lady

Dec 18, 2006
    [face_laugh] Maybe Layne should listen to that little voice in her head more often. I see she continues to appreciate Cyris, and the last line made me laugh.

Layne has all the stubbornness of her ancestors, but she hasn't gained the good sense to know when to use it yet.

13. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    JediAlly ? She?s completely blind to the fact there?s nothing she can do to change their mind. Of course, things get interesting from here on out, which means Layne gets thwarted *grin*

SilSolo ? Of course she keeps plotting! She?s Ta?a Chume?s blood ? at least one of TK?s kids had to have something of her grandmother in them ;)

VaderLVR64 ? [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Fairly sure *grin*

Emerald_Lady ? Ah, but Layne doesn?t want Cyris for herself, remember? She?s just got a good eye for a match her sister should make. And you?re right about her heritage. She?ll learn ? someday maybe ? that she needs to pick and choose her battles. This one she doesn?t realize she has no hope of winning.

[b]Layne Djo-Solo
    Entry 13 - Contracts[/b]

My little snipe of a sister is ignoring me. How dare she? I've sent her contract after contract to sign. Spent hours pouring over these with Cyris - who has been the soul of patience - only to have them returned, unopened and unread, to the office. I have given her leeway, concessions and freedoms in the contracts no other woman would dream of. Cyris has gone so far as to promise an independent estate where she can call on [i]him[/i] as she wishes and she still refuses to see the light!

That Gidden! This is all [i]his[/i] fault.

If he would simply do the honorable thing and step back before things become messier than they already are, matters can be settled well before mother and father return home. I admit I may be pushing hard for this, but Cyris insists that he will have Tana.

Or is it insists that he simply wants the whole mess behind him and the certainty of a match in his pocket?

I cannot remember.

There have been so many accusations and half-truths spoken of late that I am having trouble distinguishing what is what. Cyris was so expectant of this match when I first offered it to him, and now he seems resigned. As if this is perhaps not what he wants? Unfair, perhaps, but he is a man of honor who keeps his word.

Unlike that chit sister of mine. If she would at least [i]read[/i] the offers in the contracts I am certain she would give up the foolish and scandalous idea of Gidden as her... her significant other. If that means marriage I may simply go green once more.

No, she must be made to see that Cyris is the [i]only[/i] option left to her and the one she must accept.

14. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    Layne Djo-Solo
    Entry 14 - Betrayal!

My own father, my own flesh and blood, has undermined my efforts to see Tana properly wed. And for what? So he can denounce the boy he raised to allow him free access to my sister. So Gidden can court Tana freely, as a commoner - of all things - and prevent the scandal that's sure to ensue!

If I could use the Force, I would go positively Sith!

And Mother... mother was ungrateful to say the least. She approves of my methods of with the people, but not with my own family. She accused me of being self-centered and scheming; she even threatened to take away the title Gidden so willingly gave me upon his return home! The title is mine by right. Mine! I am the Chume'Da. Me! No one else. Jarid would not and does not want it, Tana would decline and Kalen and Allana are much too young to even begin thinking of such things.

I am the one who is thinking beyond myself, not of myself as she so callously claimed. I was simply trying to save the family from a scandal which it is likely not to recover from and for what? To have it thrown back in my face and my parents give this madness their blessing!

How dare they? How dare they meddle in my carefully laid plans? Gidden should never have returned home!

15. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Let's just say I wouldn't want to be on her "list." [face_worried]

Great update! =D=

16. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    Layne definitely bent over backwards. Surprised she didn't break her back in the process.

Is she talking about Cyris or herself?

Layne's definitely being very much like Ta'a Chume and Palpatine.

I think she's overdue for a very harsh slap across the face.

17. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    she sure has a right to be pissed

18. Emerald_Lady

Dec 18, 2006
    [face_laugh] While I can see her side of the story, Layne's still an arrogant little brat when she's in a snit. ;)

19. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    VaderLVR64 ? [face_laugh] Her list? *grin* I wouldn?t either; she?s quite the little witch, isn?t she?

JediAlly ? LOL! Maybe she should have broken something ? then she?d have been able to escape going to the wedding. And I think you?re right ? she?s more speaking about the certainty of a match and the messiness of it being out of the way for her own convenience, not Cyris?. But then, things might backfire on her.

I think she's overdue for a very harsh slap across the face.

Is a proverbial slap enough? [face_devil]

SilSolo - *grin* It?s only going to get worse before it gets better.

Emerald_Lady ? you?re right, but I think she?s an arrogant brat all the time. Cyris went for the quiet twin, though he fancies Layne. Things get interesting from here on out.

[b]Layne Djo-Solo
    Entry 15 - The Wedding[/b]

I shouldn't call it a wedding, for it was little beyond a Jedi joining ceremony, but I suppose the title fits.

They managed to get all of the family involved. Even Jarid took time off his precious missions - and his courting of Jysella Horn (a completely perfect and delicious match if I have ever seen one) - to come to this farce. I wish he had brought Jysella. She at least has a brother and could empathize with me.

Why is it that I am the only one who cringed as they said their vows? Does no one else see that marrying your brother, even your [i]adopted[/i] brother is wrong? Can they not tell that this is an abhorrent act, one that should never be contemplated - even [i]if[/i] Gidden was disowned?

Not that it's true. Father has made a point of spending time with him despite the supposed split, though never in public. Mother has done the same. It was amusing to watch her sneak in and out of the Palace the first night - mother is still quite adept at stealth when she wishes to be - but it quickly lost its entertainment.

I can honestly say I have not been myself since learning that my parents approve of the match. On more than one occasion I have lost my temper at my father. Especially after I learned he would be the one officiating at their ceremony!

I cannot believe I was coerced into going. Threatened, blackmailed even - by my own [i]mother[/i]!

I did not believe she had it in her. I guess what father says is true. In some respects beyond the physical, I truly do take after mother. Still, I am the only one of my siblings truly prone to fits of temper. As a non-Force inclined human, I find a show of good temper is liberating.

If only that temper had been able to prevent this horrible atrocity. Sadly, it was not, and now my sister is married to my brother - and yes, he will ever be my brother in my thoughts - and I will never forgive them for what they have done to me.

Never.

20. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    If only that temper had been able to prevent this horrible atrocity. Sadly, it was not, and now my sister is married to my brother - and yes, he will ever be my brother in my thoughts - and I will never forgive them for what they have done to me.

Never.

And I think this girl could hold a serious grudge! :p

=D=

21. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    Why do I get the feeling Layne's going to cause a lot of trouble for Gidden and Tana? As in as much trouble as Ta'a Chume created for her son, granddaughter, and the Solos and Skywalkers.

22. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    i think she could hold a serious grudge too

23. Emerald_Lady

Dec 18, 2006
    lol Jarid's courting Jysella? The little player. ;)

I'm glad to see Tenel Ka hasn't lost her touch at indimidation and stealth. :D

Layne's so self-centered. I wonder if her parents used corporal punishment on their kids, because I bet Tenel Ka could still give Layne a good spanking. Just saying. [face_whistling][face_devil]

24. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    VaderLVR64 ? Hold a serious grudge? You?ve not idea lol! That Solo stubbornness is definitely a trait Layne could have done without ;)

JediAlly ? Tana and Gidden are mostly out of her reach ? now Layne?s going to have to look out for her own skin since Mom and Dad aren?t overly impressed with their Chume?Da. Once she?s out of trouble ? then, maybe, she can cause trouble for Tana and Gidden...

SilSolo ? Indeed ;)

Emerald_Lady ? Jarid?s got a thing for women who are adventurous as he is ? and you?re right; he is a bit of a player ;) And I don?t think Tenel Ka?s lost any of her skills, it?s just a matter of she?s not been seen to use them. Of course, with Layne?s priorities simply being her own selfish ends, I doubt anything her mother says will have much of an impact ? of course certain restrictions that will be placed on her will be mentioned later...

Thanks for reading everyone ;)

[b]Layne Djo-Solo
    Entry 16 - Life Goes On[/b]

The traitors have left and things once again settle towards an even keel.

The news of the Marriage has not yet leaked, to which I am very surprised, but the guards have been more vigilant than in the past. No missives leave, including those of mother and father, without security screenings. I suppose I would be hurt, but I am simply numb.

A part of me does not believe what has happened. I do not believe that the fabric of my family has been changed so much that I am now the publicly acknowledged eldest of the Djo-Solo children and the heir to mother's throne. I was Chume'Da because Gidden did not wish to be. Now, it is as if there was never another. It has been amazing the alacrity with which Gidden has been pushed from the public eye and forgotten.

The other part of me is appalled that my parents not only allowed it, but assisted its conception and completion. That part of me is horrified to see the Hapan people turn its backs, collectively, on the once acknowledged heir. Gidden has become an outcast in the only home he has known. He is unwelcome and would be shunned. He may deserve it from me, but the people have no right to do so.

It is not them he betrayed.

Yet life continues. With Tana gone, my duties have changed and my daily schedule has shifted. I find myself spending more time in lessons mother has planned for me and more time on the practice mat. My painting has slipped but I have deliberately curtailed that outlet. Tana's garden has fallen into disrepair, and weeds have begun to sprout among the flowers.

Where once it offered a perfect backdrop, or even a picture in itself, it has now deteriorated into a garbled mass of greens. My sister would be sad to see her garden in such a state, a fact that both pleases and distresses me. This garden was her refuge and while I may not have always seen eye to eye with her, I did understand the need to have a place that was yours alone.

Now that place has become my prison, for the palace seems emptier in the weeks since Tana left. Perhaps it is wishful thinking on my part, or simply something I ate. Yes. That must be it. A good night's sleep will do me good and tomorrow this foolish notion of loneliness will disappear.

I don't need those who would betray me, no matter if they are my blood. I will be fine without them.

25. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    I get the feeling Tana's going to grow up to be a very lonely and bitter woman with no family.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.