main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The Girl who Would be Queen - the Diary of Layne Djo-Solo - Completed Jan 14

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jade_Max, Jan 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    She's going to end up alone and angry. That's no way to go through life!

The other part of me is appalled that my parents not only allowed it, but assisted its conception and completion. That part of me is horrified to see the Hapan people turn its backs, collectively, on the once acknowledged heir. Gidden has become an outcast in the only home he has known. He is unwelcome and would be shunned. He may deserve it from me, but the people have no right to do so.

It is not them he betrayed.

Someone is a little self-centered, aren't they? o_O

Lovely update! =D=

2. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    that's not a sisterly relationship and Layne is so lonely

and poor garden

3. Emerald_Lady

Emerald_Lady Jedi Master star 3

Dec 18, 2006
    *sigh* Layne's so self-centered. I hope things get to the point where she can no longer deny that she needs her family. :(

4. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    JediAlly ? You mean Layne? Probably. She doesn?t know a good thing when she?s got it.

VaderLVR64 ? Yeah, she?s pretty sure the universe revolves around her dreams and wishes. Makes it tricky to see beyond oneself ;) And alone and angry is about how she grew up, despite her parent?s best efforts. Of course, there are chinks in her armor somewhere...

SilSolo ? Layne?s got a lot to realize before she?ll acknowledge that she considered Tana and Gidden family again. She?s got a ways to go before she?s grown up, despite her age.

Emerald_Lady ? Oh, she will. It?s amazing how you can take your family for granted when they?re around, and what happens when suddenly they?re all gone ? and you?re forced to realize what they really mean to you, no matter the past.

[b]Layne Djo-Solo
    Entry 17 - I Have Had Enough of Your Rules![/b]

Mother is completely un-rational and I will no longer tolerate such disrespect! Imagine, restricting me, [i]Me![/i] the Chume'Da to Palace grounds! And all because I did not appreciate being the subject of Kalen's joke and threatened him with a betrothal - you would think being a Jedi, she would have known I was not serious.

Of course, no one thinks I know how to joke anymore.

Everyone; mother, father, Kalen, Allana, Jana and even Scruffy take me far too seriously. I say something, like threatening Kalen with a betrothal, and they immediately believe I am actively searching for a partner for him. Do they not know I have learned my lesson? Do they not understand that I have been burned by the ungrateful, cursed by the unwilling and shunned by the uneducated? Cast aside like a leper for failing to control any aspect of my destiny, or those of my siblings? Does mother, an only child, not understand that Hapan customs dictated I try and do what was best for them?

And for what?

To be cast aside like rubbish and restricted in my activities and social gatherings. I was barred from participating in some of the most joyous festivals on the Hapan calendar year and then made to publicly apologize when I did not believe to have done anything wrong. I have had my freedoms curtailed, my responsibilities diminished and my public standing is in tatters.

Have I not suffered enough?

I have tried to follow their rules and I have tried to follow the customs and traditions of my people. Yet, they still clash. They collide as my parents try to find a medium in which all requirements can be met. Sometimes I believe Mother does not understand what it is to be a Hapan female anymore.

But I do.

Despite my shamming, I hold my head high and bide my time. They will not keep me down forever. For all my faults, I am still their daughter and more stubborn than either of them. They will fold before I will; I simply have to wait them out.

[hr]

[b]Layne Djo-Solo
    Entry 18 - Nightmares[/b]

Again I find I cannot sleep.

I wake in a cold sweat, with no recollection of my dreams, but with the knowledge that something important, something horrible has transpired.

I fear something has happened to one of my twins. For the past four days I have felt spirals of pain running through my right arm, making it impossible to hold my diner utensils in some cases and my paint brush in others. I have felt muscle spasms, as if the arm cannot remember what it is supposed to be doing, and reached for it, just this morning while in session, with the sudden fear it had gone missing.

I have been plagued by nightmares; faceless, nameless terrors I cannot understand, no do I remember beyond a semi-waking state. I see, on occasion and at the oddest of moments, through a pink haze.

Tana contacted me this evening, her expression worried, her demeanor hesitant - yet, regardless, she inquired if I was alright. I told her I was, how could I say otherwise when the contents of my nightmares have nothing to do with my current reality? I assured her that whatever she was feeling or seeing was not of my doing, nor to do with my current physi

5. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Someone needs to stop and take a look at things before they deteriorate here. Don't care if it's Tenel Ka or Layne. Right now, I think the tension between them had been strained to the same point Leia's and Jaina's had reached in Balance Point.

Why do I get he impression things are going to take a turn for the worse in the next chapter?

6. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Again I find I cannot sleep.

I wake in a cold sweat, with no recollection of my dreams, but with the knowledge that something important, something horrible has transpired.

I fear something has happened to one of my twins. For the past four days I have felt spirals of pain running through my right arm, making it impossible to hold my diner utensils in some cases and my paint brush in others. I have felt muscle spasms, as if the arm cannot remember what it is supposed to be doing, and reached for it, just this morning while in session, with the sudden fear it had gone missing.

I have been plagued by nightmares; faceless, nameless terrors I cannot understand, no do I remember beyond a semi-waking state. I see, on occasion and at the oddest of moments, through a pink haze.

This is very troubling. [face_worried] I hope you update (and reassure us!) soon.

=D=

7. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    poor Layne, now that she's the misunderstood one

8. Emerald_Lady

Dec 18, 2006
    [face_laugh] At this rate, if Layne threatened someone with a betrothal, I wouldn't believe she was joking either. ;) Her selfish arrogance keeps getting worse, but I'm afraid for Jarid...[face_worried]

9. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    JediAlly ? I have to agree; Layne isn?t quite aware yet of just how important her relationship with her mother is. Or of what can happen when those bond deteriorate. The only problem is that in Hapan society, if Tenel Ka were to give first, Layne would see her as weak and undeserving.

And things can only get worse before they get better.

VaderLVR64 ? Update to follow ? I couldn?t leave it hanging for too long!

SilSolo ? I dunno if it?s she?s misunderstood, or just unwilling to be understood; how bad is that?

Emerald_Lady ? Don?t be too worried for Jarid ? not yet anyway. Layne?s connected to him in mysterious ways she doesn?t understand; so he?s not dead ? yet.

Thanks for reading, guys!

[b]Layne Djo-Solo
    Entry 19 - Twin Bond[/b]

Jarid had always claimed he found mother and father's romance something of an inspiration. The Princess falling for the charming and somewhat roguish playmate, a prince without a planet. I had not expected him to enact it to such a degree though.

Word has just reached the Palace that Jarid has suffered an injury while on assignment; a grievous injury while accepting a blow that would have killed Jysella had he not intervened. He was maimed - as mother was - losing his right arm at the shoulder and his lightsaber with it. To make matters worse, the arm was destroyed though I know not how.

I remember receiving the message and feeling as if the missing piece of one of Kalen's puzzles had fallen into place.

I [i]had[/i] been dreaming of Jarid's experience.

I do not understand it is possible. Despite being his twin, I am not Force sensitive in any way. I have never "felt" his, nor Tana's pain before. Nor have I wanted to. Yet, I did. I felt it as if it were my own, including the burning and itching of feeling a ghost appendage. I felt his fear and sorrow, and his worry over Jysella, despite his own serious injuries.

It makes me wonder if twins, Force Sensitive or not, do indeed share some kind of mystical bond as my father once claimed to share with his sister. I had not thought I was capable of such a thing, and yet, I [i]felt[/i] Jarid's pain. I lived with it for a week.

I can no longer doubt that I am connected, despite being cut off from the Force, to my twins in a manner I do no comprehend.

It is frightening to think that one day I may feel their deaths.

10. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    Jarid's view of his parent's romance is so true. It could also be applied to his paternal grandparents. Seems like he's living the same romance, only this time the roles have been reversed, so as to speak.

And so the heavy end of the hammer has fallen.

Maybe Layne's not as Force-blind as everyone thought she was.

11. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    It makes me wonder if twins, Force Sensitive or not, do indeed share some kind of mystical bond as my father once claimed to share with his sister. I had not thought I was capable of such a thing, and yet, I felt Jarid's pain. I lived with it for a week.

I can no longer doubt that I am connected, despite being cut off from the Force, to my twins in a manner I do no comprehend.

It is frightening to think that one day I may feel their deaths.

VERY interesting! [face_thinking] I wonder where this is going?

But I know I'm enjoying the journey! :p

=D=

12. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    Maybe Layne is less FOrce-sensitive than the rest but still has it, like Tionne

13. Emerald_Lady

Dec 18, 2006
    Awww, I like the idea of a Jarid/Jysella romance. I'm glad he's okay, but...he lost an arm? :eek: I hope he takes a replacement, unlike his mom. Still, though, he did save Jysella's life in a very heroic way. She'd better fall in love with him now. ;)

It's very interesting that Layne, Force-blind or not, still felt Jarid's pain. And her fear at the thought of feeling his death someday makes her a little more human; she doesn't let her vulnerabilities show very often.

And just to clarify...this story has passed the ending of "Homecoming" by now, has it not? [face_thinking]

14. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    JediAlly ? I think Jarid is more his father?s son than he wants to believe at times; of course his noble side shines through at times too. And I don?t think that Layne?s Force Sensitive in the traditional sense ? maybe Force aware is a better term. She can feel traumatic events, but nothing normal.

VaderLVR64 ? lol, wonder where it?s going> That?s two of us *grin* My muse is still being fickle.

SilSolo ? Force aware, maybe. She can feel the events if they?ve got a big enough echo from someone connected like her twins, but not under normal circumstances.

Emerald_Lady ? I like the idea of a Jarid/Jysella romance too. I?m debating doing an MMM fic with the two of them *chuckle*

her fear at the thought of feeling his death someday makes her a little more human; she doesn't let her vulnerabilities show very often.

*chuckle* she?s closer to Jarid than she ever was to Tana. Jarid?s a very laid back character who takes advantage of his status *grin* Something Layne can understand ;)

this story has passed the ending of "Homecoming" by now, has it not?

Yeah, after Layne?s observations on Tana and Gidden?s wedding, it went beyond the end of Homecoming. Which means we?re in uncharted waters ? with lots of potential for spin off Vigs lol!

[b]Layne Djo-Solo
    Entry 20 - Heavy Heart Unburdened[/b]

Jarid returned home today, thank the Force for small favors!

He is pale, but not shaken by his experience, his stump of an arm an almost grisly contrast to mother's old injury. Father always said Jarid took after mother more than he did father. However, I do not believe this is what he had in mind.

Jarid, for his lacking his sword arm, is in good spirits. I suppose it has to do with the Horn who accompanied him. Jysella is looking far worse than my brother and, while I do not believe she was physically injured, I can see the guilt she carries. She believes herself responsible for his injury and is trying to make amends.

One can only speculate if their relationship will fracture, or perhaps deepen, because of this incident.

Honestly, in my private reflections, I never believed my brother able or willing to sacrifice himself for anyone other than family. I had not believed him to be that attached to Jysella either. Yet, I can see it in his good humor that he does not regret losing the arm, nor the painful fittings that he sits through daily.

Unlike mother, who lost her left arm, Jarid has decided to acquire a prosthetic. When I felt compelled to ask him why - though I thoroughly agree with the decision - I was told that it was only practical. He can fight with his left arm, but the right is - was - stronger. Besides; our Uncle Luke has one.

Personally I believe the last argument to be the one which has swayed him the most. As Uncle Luke was father's teacher, and then Jarid's for a time, his decisions and actions have swayed many. In this instance, I believe my mother and brother disagree, yet I do not believe mother holds Jarid's decision against him.

The decision is Jarid's to make, as it was once hers, and I am relieved to know what my brother will once again be whole sometime in the near future. Physically, anyway. Time will tell if he and Jysella will renew their close relationship or if her guilt over the matter will eat them alive.

15. Emerald_Lady

Dec 18, 2006
    Goody, more Jarid/Jysella plot! :D I hope you do the MMM fic, although I'm sure that's no surprise. ;)

I'm glad Jarid went for the prosthetic, although I feel sorry for Jysella. :( But then, if their relationsip really does take after J/TK, then I have a feeling this may strengthen their bond more than anyone expects. [face_mischief] It was good of Jysella to come back with him, even if she did do it out of guilt.

16. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    I don't think that's what Jacen meant either.

I can think of another reason why Jarid and TK should have prosthetics - dancing with their partners, so as to speak.

I can see Jarid/Jysella mirroring his parents' relationship.

Nice to see Layne being a little more humane in this one.

17. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    The decision is Jarid's to make, as it was once hers, and I am relieved to know what my brother will once again be whole sometime in the near future. Physically, anyway. Time will tell if he and Jysella will renew their close relationship or if her guilt over the matter will eat them alive.

I love how you're showing the progression of both the story AND your characters. Love it! =D=

18. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    ooh romance with teh other twin. I wonder when Layne's turn will come soon

19. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    Emerald_Lady - *grin* I?ll do what I can with the MMM fic; now you?ve got me thinking Jarid/Jysella *chuckle* I can?t see Jarid, after losing his sword arm, not accepting a replacement. I mean, Tenel Ka didn?t because she lost her left; I think the story would have been different if she?d lost her right.

JediAlly ? I think Layne is starting to realize that there are certain things she can?t control and shouldn?t try to because people have to make their own mistakes ? as this next entry will exhibit.

Of course, that doesn?t change her view point about their station and what?s proper. I think she just has a larger soft spot for Jarid than her other siblings.

VaderLVR64 ? It?s tougher than I expected to show progression and character development in a diary. It?s been a unique challenge though.

SilSolo - *chuckle* I don?t think Layne would know romance if it slapped her in the face ;)

[b]Layne Djo-Solo
    Entry 21 - Family Drama[/b]

Jarid and Jysella are no more.

Master Corran Horn and his wife Mirax arrived today to retrieve their daughter and the silence between my brother and his former flame was positively icy. I cannot believe Jysella has let her guilt over his injury interfere with the strong commitment they shared.

It was unwise.

Perhaps inevitable. Jarid has become more irritable and curt with her of late, snapping at odd moments for her to grow up. It is nice to see my "little" brother acting like an adult, but I find I am torn between wanting to shake them both, and leaving things be. I have debated manipulating the situation; sending Jysella flowers with an apology note, or writing poetry (as I know Jysella does) for my brother.

Yet I find I am reluctant to do anything about it.

Perhaps this is a mistake they both need to make. Anyone with eyes can see they are both hurting. Jarid because Jysella no longer sees him the same way and, in some fashion, pities him. Jysella because she believes this whole mess is her fault. She believes she should have taken the stroke that would have ended her life and does not see that Jarid [i]saved[/i] her deliberately.

Funny, I credited her with more common sense.

Of course some say it is easy to see, or so they say, when you're looking into a situation from a detached point of view. And mine, according to my mother, is more detached than most. I have been accused recently of being unfeeling, uncaring and completely cold hearted.

It is not true, but perhaps it is for the best. If people see me as that, I will be less of a target. My family knows I am not uncaring and that is enough for me.

20. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Layne seemed kinder in this post, and her concern was touching. Another superb update! =D=

21. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    ooh break-up. nice

22. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    Rats over the failed Jarid/Jysella relationship.

For once, she did the right thing by staying out of their affairs.

As for her believing her family knows she's not uncaring, o_O

23. Emerald_Lady

Dec 18, 2006
    Mmm...I don't know. I have a feeling that rumors of Jarid/Jysella's demise may have been exaggerated. Maybe I'm just a hopeless romantic, but I could see Jysella coming back after she comes to her senses, or even Jarid going after her. That's not something you could just get over right away; they both need some time to heal.

It's good to see Layne showing a little sense and compassion. :)

24. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    VaderLVR64 ? Layne has a real soft spot for her brother Jarid, I think, so that?s going to come through whenever she talks about him. The rest of the family however...

SilSolo - *chuckle* The question is ? is it permanent?

JediAlly ? Layne seems to be learning that if she jumps into other peoples (translate as ?family?) relationships, she does more harm than good. Which is a good thing. And she?s a mite touch blinded by her own arrogance that I don?t think she realizes that some people in her family think of her as a heartless witch.

Emerald_Lady - *chuckle* you have a feeling, eh? Good feeling ;) It?s just the ?how? now that you haven?t seen. You will.

[b]Layne Djo-Solo
    Entry 22 - What Goes Around...[/b]

The nerve of the man!

I cannot believe I have been given an ultimatum! Me! The Chume'Da of Hapes! And by a [i]male[/i] no less!

One would think that after everything I did to grant him his heart's desire in my sister, he would be grateful. But no, not Cyris. Instead, he has put forth a new proposal. I had accepted him as a potential mate for my sister and now he has the gall to assume that [i]I[/i] would lower myself to his level and honor that contract myself.

How preposterous! As if I, the Chume'Da of Hapes and daughter of Tenel Ka Djo-Solo would ever submit to such a pushy, self-righteous and gorgeous male simply because I am told! Ha!

Cyris needs to be taught a lesson, I believe. For him to even propose such a liaison indicates he believes I am the same kind of weak willed woman he took my sister to be. As if rejection from one sister was not enough, he will now suffer it from two - and publicly!

The nerve! Where did he come up with this absurd idea? His perfectly shaped pectorals? Or perhaps the delicious curve of his buttocks? Yes, that must be it; he must be thinking with his posterior to believe that I would ever honor a contract I had drafted with my sister's comforts in mind.

I am not Tana Djo-Solo; I am Layne Djo-Solo, Chume'Da of Hapes and I will not submit to some... some [i]man[/i] simply because he believes it is his due! Cyris has a lot to learn if he believes our discussions in the past indicate some kind of tendre for him.

Beyond his physical physique, and those soulful eyes lies nothing that interests me and he had best learn his lesson the first time - or it will be particularly painful the second.

25. JediAlly

Oct 31, 2000
    Should Tana and Gidden learn about this, they'd get a good kick out of the turn of tides. If the word exists in SW, they'd be thinking, "Now that's sweet karma."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.