main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The God Of Thunder - Thor Movie Thread ***Spoilers***

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Jun 13, 2007.

1. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007

Why do I have the feeling that will be Tony Stark's relationship advice? :p

2. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    I'd give it at least 6.5 or 7 out of 10. It was pretty good, but . . . hmmm, I don't know. There was something not quite right about this movie. It felt like a slightly uneven combination of "CLASH OF THE TITANS" and "STARMAN", with a dash of "HE-MAN: MASTER OF THE UNIVERSE" thrown in.

Chris Helmsworth was pretty good as Thor. But I was really impressed by Tom Hiddleston as Loki.

Pretty good, but not great.

3. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    There is one thing that bothered me, maybe someone can explain it. The flashback to the war between the Frost Giants and Asgard said it was 900 AD or something. If only after that war did Odin get Thor and Loki then how did the Vikings know to worship them before that, and how did they get all the legends of them?

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Presumably Thor and Loki visited Earth after the war, still during the viking age, but before the Asgardians returned to/stayed in Asgard.

5. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    I suppose that works, but weren't Thor and Loki known to the Vikings before 900 AD? I thought that mythology/religion went back well into 400 and 500 AD

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Good point. Maybe one could use the cyclical nature of the Asgardians and Ragnarok from the comics to explain that- Thor and Loki once existed long before that flashback, but Ragnarok happened for them and they were eventually reborn so that, by the time of the Frost Giants/Winter Coffin war in the flashback, they were still children/newborns from their most recent rebirth.

Depends if the movieverse uses that notion or not.

7. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Works for me.

8. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    First, let me get my disappointments out of the way: ?Classic? Thor lines were missing, despite a couple of good opportunities. When he blasted that weird monster in Jotunheim (was that supposed to be Fafnir or something?) would?ve been the perfect opportunity for YSLCATGOT. Even a comedic interruption of ?I say thee nay!? would?ve worked while facing the orderlies.

My biggest disappointment was that Loki totally lost me in the 3rd act. I wasn?t really getting what his motivations were. Also, I could?ve lived without the 3D, but I was out-voted.

As far as likes, well..I loved the movie! Heimdall was awesome!

-Shhh! Be careful! Heimdall might be listening!
    -[knock at door]
    -Heimdall wishes to see you.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    "You would defy your King?"
    "...yes."
    "Good."

I think Loki's motivations were that he was lashing out from the revelation of what he was- he was something he had been taught to hate, so he lashed out to destroy the Frost Giants, his "real father" and, in the process, solidify his rule in Asgard (by "saving" his adopted father)- thinking that doing so would make him seem Thor's equal in his father's eye.

He only tries to kill off Thor after Heimdall defys him by allowing the Warriors Three Plus One to go to Earth.

10. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    the ending....the Cosmic Cube!

Oh right on about loki's motivations. but the cosmic cube!

11. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    I'm curious about what you all think about this.

Do you think Loki planned on all of that from the beginning? Well, obviously he didn't count on being Laufrey's son and Odin going into the Odinsleep, but what about the rest? Do you think he decided to destroy the frost giants after Thor had been banished or had that been his eventual plan all along? Or do you think he made up all of that on the fly?

12. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    No, Loki probably just planned to get everyone in trouble with odin, And get thor scolded.

Everything that happend was just him rolling with the puches....and losing his sanity.

He really hates frost giants don't he?

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I don't think he formulated his plan until after he found out what he was. Until then he didn't even plan on Thor being banished- he just wanted to ruin the ceremony and, maybe, get Thor in further trouble (by indirectly suggesting he go to Jotunheim and then warn Heimdall about it so that Odin woukd know) to postpone his reign longer.

14. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    Even in the comics he was part schemer and part oppurtunist. So it could be a little bit of yes to both. He probably had alot of contingencies in mind. the only thing he seemed not to be truly ready for was when Thor decided to destroy the rainbow bridge at the end.

15. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I loved the movie, and on top of that I figure that Asgard is somewhat out of the normal time stream. At least Midgard's timestream. After all, Thor and Sif are not married and yet they are definitely married in Norse mythology. The way I see it is that all of this kind of exists either cyclically or somewhat displaced in time and Odin happened to have banished Thor into Midgard in the modern era rather than say... 500 AD. Not that Asgardians can control time, but that Asgard itself doesn't necessary exist in the normal way in which we understand.

That said, the time stamp on the last great war with the Frost Giants could have easily not been there.

As I don't know much of Marvel's Thor I would have been lost if not for The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Specifically this morning's episode with the Casket of Infinite Winters. It was perfect timing on that and as soon as it appeared in the movie I was like "oh yeah, that's the Casket of Infinite Winters. Cool."

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I actually have no idea what the Casket is/where it's from (never heard of it before reading people's reactions online here), and had no trouble following the movie (though I assumed it was just a vessel carrying the cosmic cube (going by Avengers/post-credits spoiler hints), and that just happened to be the ability being used/shown in the film).

17. I-poodoo

May 1, 2001
    I didn't get that though I see why you'd think that?

But that would raise the question of how what was in the casket got to Earth and into Shield's possession, and how Nick Fury knew so much about it where Loki in that scene seemed surprised/intrigued by it more than if it had come from the casket which is presumably still in Asgard now since he never used it in his fight with Thor, and if he had it on him then I would've thought he would've used it.

I'd like to add that this movie had very good casting. From Hemsworth who looked and acted like I picture Thor to Portman who played the "I am attracted to this nutjob that thinks he's a viking god" angle with just the right touch and then there was Hiddleston's tact at keeping from the easy to go over the top for Loki.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    My take was Fury knew via events from Captain America, Loki's reaction was just a "well, I can certainly do something with that" type of recognition. How it got from Asgard Present Day to Cap Past Day, I can't say- but the theory is obviously incorrect so no need explore it much.

Basically it came down to "box with glowing blue object inside" being associated with "glowing blue cube".

19. Likewater

Dec 31, 2009
    Type "Comsic Cube" into your search engine.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I knew of the Cosmic Cube, but not the casket.

21. I-poodoo

May 1, 2001
    look up casket of forever winters then.

What do we think is the deal with Eric Selvik and Loki? Was he Loki throughout the movie, or did Loki somehow suborn him after he fell from Asgard, or did he take the place of Selvik after his defeat?

22. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    I don't think Selvig was Loki all along. I think it's more likely that after Loki wound up on Earth he decided to keep an eye on Thor's friends for information. He was probably just shadowing Selvig when he went to meet with Fury to see what was up, then realized he hit the jackpot when he saw the cosmic cube. He probably decided to start using Selvig right there.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, when I saw the film a second time, I tried watching it for clues that Loki was controlling him (if not for the whole film, then from some point onwards), and although he does his best to discourage Jane from helping/believing Thor, tings like the help in breaking Thor out, the bar, etc suggest otherwise.

Whenever Loki began influencing him, it was probably after he got to Earth from his fall.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Thor 2 Confirmed.

It's set for July 26th, 2013 (with Iron man 3 hitting May 3rd that summer). Hemsworth is locked to return, but Kenneth Branagh will not be directing this one.

25. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    In less than 2 months, this movie is completely gone from the San Jose,CA area. Not a single theater is showing it.
    Wow.
    Guess I'll be able to rent the DVD in about a month. Heck, normally I'd have to wait until at least Halloween...