main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Good Place - it really is about the afterlife this time

Discussion in 'Community' started by CooperTFN, Oct 29, 2016.

1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Also since the four protagonists know they can't earn points, they really have no incentive to be good because when they die they're going to bad place anyway so since they're choosing to help other people get points and be good people that should mean something to whomever is in charge.

I do have a gut feeling that the door man is more than he appears on the surface so he'll be Michael's saving grace.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Your first sentence is what I disagreed with. Your second premise is not what you said in the first.

Clearly when arriving in the Afterlife, they remembered all details of their life on Earth. When reset, they were reset to that point so their personality was already there. Same with the reset back to Earth.

If you are reset entirely (i.e. amnesia) then there's no core personality, you have to relearn everything. That's nurture.

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Then I guess I'm using "amnesia" wrong; I was never thinking of a complete reset of a person, nor was I under the impression that's what it means in a real medical sense.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So...
    Everyone's dead again!

And this week's episode seems to be heading us down the path that most of us have suspected for a while: there is no Good Place (or, more likely as I think, it's so impossibly high-standards to get in, there may only be two people in there).

Basically, Doug's lifestyle and Shawn's comments would lead us to believe this. And if one believes that Michael's Big Lie -- the Good Place Neighborhood in the Bad Place -- was built on a lot of truth in order to sell it, there are two confirmed people in the Good Place (Abraham Lincoln and someone else?)... it's possibly that's it.

Also, not for nothing and I know he's with Mindy now, but you know who ELSE was hanging out in Janet's void for some time who I hope we see again?!?

[​IMG]

CooperTFN and TiniTinyTony like this.
  5. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Janet just having to be partly in / partly out of the afterlife / real world gives her her powers, while cool, felt kind of convenient for the plot and might have helped if she had known that sooner.

But that minor gripe aside, it seems that the point system is on trial, and if you know someone that is living their life that way, you could be taken advantage of as illustrated in the episode. So you get to be miserable in life just to get to heaven?

It definitely feels more and more that Michael was also being duped and someone is torturing him. It's just nested torture.

6. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Oh, BS as the system might be I'm still inclined to believe there is a Good Place. AV Club made a good observation that I hadn't really thought of watching the episode--Doug is going to the Bad Place for the same reason Tahani did. His actions aren't the problem, his motivations are.

Also, if we're counting the podcast bumpers as canon (which of course is silly) that would add Mozart and Jimi Hendrix to the GP roster as well. I really feel like they've named someone beyond Lincoln but hell if I can remember who.

Re: nested torture, I'm open to a wealth of possible versions of this theory but the one big thing I really need explained/justified is the idea that Gen is utterly powerless to stop all of this. For whatever reason, she's letting it happen.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  7. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Also, to echo @CooperTFN didn’t the Judge say that
    you stop accumulating points as soon as you know how the points system works; which means that Doug stopped accumulating points as soon as he had his epiphany, right?[/dpoiler]

8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Charles McGill really turned his life around.

Jedi Merkurian and CooperTFN like this.
  9. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Well, he doesn't technically know that's how things work, he just made a very accurate guess. Knowledge itself isn't the problem, it's how the knowledge taints your motivations--so even if it's a freak coincidence on Doug's part it's enough to screw him. He's not actually a good person, he just wants points.

So come to think of it maybe he was never the paragon or the scathing critique of the system Michael and Janet think he is. We'll see what the accountants say.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  10. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    AND HOW PERFECT WAS THIS

11. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I don't know why networks do this, but the show is finally coming back after a two week break to get a new episode next Thursday on Dec 6th. Then we have a 4 week break until the winter premiere episode on Jan 10th, then an episode on the 17th, and then the season 3 finale on the 24th. :(:confused:[face_frustrated]

12. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, it’s weird—especially when the last two seasons had clear mid-season hiatuses. Hiatii?

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, I actually thought they're not coming back until January and giving us four (FOUR!!!) glorious weeks of Brooklyn Nine-Nine + The Good Place back to back...

CooperTFN and TiniTinyTony like this.
  14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I had to rewind the first few minutes of tonight's episode because I couldn't hear anything over the giant smile on my face.

I have some more complex thoughts, but for now, my big question is--who died 521 years ago? There's a little wiggle room on what year is "now" as of this episode but it should be roughly 1496. I clicked around that area on Wikipedia for a sec but no one jumped out at me--lots of royalty though, so maybe @GrandAdmiralJello can weigh in.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Abadacus and TiniTinyTony like this.
  16. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    D'arcy Carden is definitely the highlight of the show and it's great to see the writers pull off an episode this creative when they've clearly established the personalities of the humans.

When I saw the green tube I thought Michael and Janet would immediately use it, but I guess they needed to save it until the end for dramatic effect.

See you in one month for the last 3 eps of the season!

17. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The Good Place is hacking the points, not the Bad Place. Michael just assumes it's the Bad Place. For some reason they don't want anyone else or feel they can't take more people. That's my guess anyway.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    TiniTinyTony likes this.
  18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Looks like a lot of unanswered mail... almost like they can't be bothered any more? ;)

19. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    So! First of all, re: 521 years, this caught my attention:

[​IMG]

...I'm not sure I follow. I could see if the afterlife was some quasi-Amish thing where everybody goes to hell for using electricity but they're perfectly contemporary in their own attitudes and bureaucratic structure, so, huh?

Beyond that, it's really important to me that Michael be wrong and whatever the answer is doesn't amount to the Bad Place cheating. I'm still convinced that Doug shouldn't have gotten into the Good Place per the Tahani Rule, but if nobody's getting in, that seems to have serious implications for pretty much all moral and religious systems--if Doug happening to have guessed the rules correctly is irrelevant, then maybe almost no benevolent actions are really counting, or don't count for enough, because on some level most people are good for some selfish reason or other. That's a pretty cynical way of looking at things (and certainly counter to whatever larger statement the show actually wants to say), but it seems pretty in line with the harshness of the points system as we've always understood it, and it's a much more interesting problem for Michael & Co. to have to confront than "the demons did it".

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Also, it explicitly contradicts what folks have said both on the show (Lincoln) and on the podcast (Hendrix/Mozart). Michael lying doesn't make sense, but is at least plausible... the podcast folks explicitly lying is more worrisome though...

21. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Well, season one Michael said it--and given his attitude in this episode it's within the realm of possibility he genuinely assumed it was the case and didn't care to check. As for the podcast, it'd be nice if every word of that thing was canon but I'm happy to not take it that seriously if they end up not working. The little intro bits are a ways away from the writers saying point blank "Mozart is in the Good Place" imo.

22. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Also in Season One, Michael told the humans that Doug Forcett was the closest to getting it right hence why his portrait was in his office. Sure, Michael was always lying to the humans to torture them, but I assumed he was telling the truth about Doug and we get that confirmation when Michael and Janet visit him to get pointers on how to make it into The Good Place because Michael believed Doug he lived his life a certain way and ended up there. Then he just learned even Doug would NOT be getting into The Good Place when he dies.

I find this interesting from the The Good Place wikia: "Before Doug appeared in person, there was some doubt as to whether he was real, or just a story Michael made up. At one point, Mike Schur explained: "It is canon in our writers’ room, at this moment in time — subject to change — yes, Doug Forcett exists and that story is real." This was eventually made canon by the events of Chapter 35."

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  23. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I have to wonder - does the Bad Place know about what's happening? Maybe Shawn is too full of himself to realize that the reason they are getting all the people - and how he walked away with a "Good Place" Janet - isn't because he's some master conniver; it's because the Good Place doesn't care.

CooperTFN likes this.
  24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Oh, so this is my backdoor-Incarnations of Immortality adaptation!

blackmyron likes this.
  25. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    *googles*

Ooh, that looks interesting.