main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation The Gratuitous Han Solo Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Echo-07, Aug 9, 2013.

?

To Corellia or not to Corellia???

1. YES -- Let's go . . . Finally!

23 vote(s)
    82.1%
  2. NO -- Save it for the Han spinoff

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  1. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Han Solo is the greatest!

[​IMG]

Anyway, I suggested that this board was a ghost town what with all the members being spoiled-rotten. So a good friend suggested, in turn, that I start a new thread. Voila! New thread.

Now that we're getting our long-awaited, On-again Off-again ST, and presumably Han Solo is in it, HOW MUCH should we learn about our favorite roguish smuggler with a heart of gold?

OR

Will we even learn anything new? The story has to progress so doesn't it seem logical that we learn something new about Han as well?

IMO I would love to see Corellia. We never actually heard that Han is from that planet, it's EU material, nor have we seen it. BUT would Disney consider keeping it "virgin territory" for the alleged Han Solo spin-off?

Also, I posted this in a thread months agao, but I think Han Solo should have his own JW theme. He sorta-kinda has one but it's more of a snippet than an actual theme.

Lastly, wouldn't it be cool seeing Han and Lando playing sabacc?

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'd like to see Corellia, whether in a Solo spinoff or in the sequels. There's room to bring the Halcyons in as well if they wanted to incorporate EU characters.

Echo-07 likes this.
  3. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Yeah, I can't wait to see Corellia and I'm 100% sure that we will see it at some point during ST, maybe even in EP7 itself.

Echo-07 likes this.
  4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I never really thought about it before and kinda just went with it, but you're absolutely right about his home planet never being mentioned in the films. It makes you wonder if Corellia as his home is something they will stick with from here on out (considering it is technically an EU thing) or if they will go in another direction entirely. Either way, it's something I would love to see in the ST.

Also, I love the idea of expanding upon what we already know about the Big Three. It seems only logical considering this is a continuation, despite them not having major roles. I would really love to learn something new about Han.

Pro Scoundrel and Echo-07 like this.
  5. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I wouldn't mind seeing Corellia in both the ST films and the spin offs.

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    At the risk of "going there," from what I've heard of the Han Solo-centric EU, I'm not sure I want much of it there . Bria Tharen as she's been described seems like a textbook Sue character; even just her brief description in Tatooine Ghost makes her appear that way.

I'd like to see a Han background with his losing his parents at a young age and joining the Imperial Navy. And keep Corellia; the drawings I've seen of Coronet are beautiful, plus Corellia seems like a haven for blunt smartassery.

7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I'm not a fan of Bria Tharen or the books she was in (can't remember the author; that says something), but Brian Daley's Han Solo books are a lot of fun.

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    A.C. Crispin.

I had a friend who called those books the "[I Wanna ****] Han Solo Trilogy."

Padme501st, BigAl6ft6 and Yanksfan like this.
  9. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    The majority of it is pretty decent, but yeah...I can see what you're saying about Bria. She's not on my list of top characters, that's for sure. She had a way of bringing Han out of character and it became really tough to read through certain parts. I was actually glad when she finally died.

In regards to losing his parents, joining the Imperial Navy, etc., I hope they keep that as well.

Padme501st and Echo-07 like this.
  10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Han Solo trilogy is my 2nd favorite EU trilogy and made me want to see more of Corellia. I want to see the Corellian Shipyards at the very least.

Echo-07 likes this.
  11. darthtuttle

darthtuttle Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    perhaps we could see thracken sal solo

12. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I have a feeling Corellia would be saved more for the spinoff film, mostly because it would focus on him specifically.

Now, if Ep. 7 focuses on Han a lot, we might see it there. I guess it depends on if they want to show him growing up vs. coming back as the conquering hero type.

Echo-07 likes this.
  13. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    Was him being "Corellian" really only a EU thing? Or was it somehow mentioned in Lucas's treatments, if not in the films? Sort of like the Chewie life-debt thing. That's never mentioned in the films, but I think at least one version of Lucas's treatments/character sketches whatever, mention it. But not all of them.

Love the thread, btw. :)

Echo-07 likes this.
  14. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    He mentioned Corellian ships in ANH (the SDs), but I believe that was the only time Corellia was really mentioned in the OT.

Echo-07 likes this.
  15. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Corellia is one of the top two mentioned planets I would like to see in the upcoming films (Sullust being the other - and yes, I consider "corellian ships" a mention. ;) ). Might be better to leave it for the Solo spinoff (Nar Shadaa and Nal Hutta would be cool to see in that as well), but either way, I'll be happy.

Oh, and the Bria Tharen hate saddens me greatly. I'm personally a big fan of her.

Echo-07 likes this.
  16. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I definitely want to see Corellia in the ST. I think it would really be great if Corellia becomes the Tatooine of the ST especially if the main protagonist is the child of Han Solo. By this I mean that it's the home planet of the main character and the jumping off point for the Hero's Journey.

Echo-07 likes this.
  17. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012

Alright, don't get me wrong here, but I am honestly uncertain about what is actually considered a Mary/Gary Sue character here on these boards. I am not critising your particular description of any character, I'm simply baffled by the sheer amount of usage that term gets in general.
    This is getting slightly off topic but I am geniuniely curious, and I hope the powers that be will bear with me.
    I know what that term applies to, what kind of character and all that, but on the other hand - it seems to me that more and more people have adopted that phrase as something that is a sort of quasi-argument shield against anything they personally dislike, disguising it as an objective argument. After all, we are talking about a galaxy filled with universe-bending monks who wield laser swords and the main protagonist is called Luke and the creator is Lucas and he is not a Sue - yet when someone mentions warriors who have no supernatural powers but can still defeat the universe-bending monks --> they are called Stues.

Again, this is not about that particular post that anakinfansince1983 made above, with which I actually agree for the most part, but it was more a general cause to make me want to actually ask this question.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Generally speaking it's a character that an author creates for the obvious purpose of inserting him or herself in the story. The character can be superpowered but doesn't have to be. Often he or she is simply either well loved or well feared (or both) by other characters, is indescribably beautiful, has a memorable role, and often dies tragically.

Here is a good, albeit long, Mary Sue test for writers. I've referred to Ahsoka Tano, Mara Jade and Thrawn as Sue-characters due to how many points they'd rack up in sections 5 and 6, but there is a difference between a Sue and a pet character, although both of them get on my last damn nerve.

As far as Bria--she helps start the Rebellion (really? and no mention in the OT?), she's Han's "true love" (um, no), and she dies young.

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  19. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Great responses everyone!

And actually, the Han Solo trilogy was one of the few EU stories that I actually liked and now that its been mentioned, makes me want to go back an re-read. (BTW -- I Hated the Corellia trilogy -- the post ROTJ one.)

I wouldn't mind this little factoid being mentioned in the ST and in fact believe it will if/when Han Solo dies. IE Chewies "life-debt" will be passed on to the Solo kids.

I think you're dead-on. Would make a great planet to start the Solo version of the Hero's Journey.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  20. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    This would ultimately depend on if the story focuses on said Solo, and not someone else.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  21. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    That's what I was saying. If the main protagonist is the child of Han and Leia then I think it would be an interesting world to start the film off on. We've never seen it on film so it's can be an exciting new world to explore and it would be a nice homage to Han Solo's backstory.

Echo-07 likes this.
  22. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Ah, must have missed that. [face_peace]

But I agree on the point. Corellia would be a definite change of pace compared to Tatooine.

Echo-07 and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    ...or Coruscant. I've seen enough of that place for one lifetime.

24. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I'm actually hoping we'll see more of Coruscant. Not sure I could ever see enough of that world...

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  25. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Definitely want to see more of Coruscant. The underworld is something I'd like to see more of in Episode VII.