main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters The Great Green One: Yoda Character Discussion Thread: New discussion question up 11/30!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by YodaThread, Nov 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YodaThread

YodaThread Jedi Youngling

Nov 9, 2008
    Hi everybody and welcome to the new Yoda Character Discussion Thread!

Canon doesn't give us a whole lot to go by when it comes to Yoda's history, his people, or his planet. This is a thread dedicated to our speculations on the fascinating mystery that is Yoda.

If anyone has ideas for challenges, discussions, or cool links, please share!

First Discussion Question:

What was Yoda's childhood like? Did he have siblings? What were his favourite and most hated activities, food, etc?

2. Blue Ice Cream

Blue Ice Cream Chosen One star 6

Aug 9, 2006
    Hi there everyone!

I just wanted to say hello to all of the Yoda fans out there.

Being an avid Yoda fan myself, I'd like to thank whoever started this wonderful thread. Nice job!

Yoda is a character gem.

Here's to the hope that this thread flourishes as well as the others.

3. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    I always like to think of Yoda being either the eldest or an only child due to his bossiness, but that just might be because he's Grand Master of the Jedi Order.

EDIT: As for food, I know what that is as it's in Dark Rendezvous. He likes smelly food remiscent of swamp water to the extent that no one wants to sit with Yoda at lunch, but can't say no to him.

One of them is calledBottom-feeder gumbo

4. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    What was Yoda's childhood like? Did he have siblings? What were his favourite and most hated activities, food, etc?

Yoda's childhood...hmmm...[face_thinking] [face_thinking] [face_thinking]

I don't know why, but I also imagine him being the eldest with several siblings. Maybe it's just because I'm so used to thinking of him as being the wise, mature teacher whom everyone looks up to.

As for food, given the cannon jokes about how smelly and disgusting it was (Remember that scene in ESB where Luke tastes it? [face_laugh] [face_laugh]) I'm guessing he ate a lot of unique plant and animals.

Activities...I picture Yoda being very active. Enjoying anything that involves high energy and a lot of movement.

Least favorite activity - being still. At least while he was younger :p

5. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Just a thought about Yoda's diet, I'm thinking perhaps he ate things that were high in sulfur, which would explain the foul stench... greens similar to cabbage, brusselsprouts, etc., most likely went into his stews.

As far as his childhood is concerned, I kind of like the mystery surrounding him. Though that doesn't keep me from theorizing. :p I think perhaps he may have been the only child. Only children tend to be contemplative and like to go off to think on their own... I seem to remember reading that when he first became a knight he went off on a sabatical or something for a century to contemplate the Force on his own.

I'm going out on a limb here in saying I think Yoda's species was mammalian. Now, I know in the GFFA, creatures may be different, but, looking at the wide variety of species here on Earth, reptiles and amphibians generally do not have ears that are noticeable (if anyone knows of a RL reptile or amphibian with ears that aren't just holes on the sides of their heads, please let me know! LOL)... and Yoda's are very much so.

6. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008
    Very true... also, Yoda has hair, which only mammals have.

I tend to see Yoda as being an only child, probably because his species is so long-lived and therefore wouldn't need to reproduce very much. One thing is for sure, baby Yoda would be very cute!

I can see him as being very mischievous, in that his favourite games would involve playing pranks on people. It's that crazy laugh of his, I think!

I love the idea that a young Yoda would love his brussel sprouts.

7. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I think he was jealous of Yaddle's beautiful, wavy locks in the Phantom Menace..........

8. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    [voice=Yoda]Beware of jealousy. Jealousy leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate to pain... or something like that. Clouds the mind, the dark side does.[/voice] :p

9. Majestik_Moose

Majestik_Moose Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2008
    Yoda....as a child? =O

He must have been a little thing. x]

I really haven't given much thought to his character background...[face_thinking] I'll have to pop back in later once I've come up with something productive.

It'll be interesting to see where this thread goes. ;)

10. YodaThread

YodaThread Jedi Youngling

Nov 9, 2008
    Time to up this thread with a new question!

Discussion Question #2:

We all know Yoda from his exile on Dagobah in ESB. But what about his home planet? Do you see it as being a wild and swampy place, or something completely different? Also, what would the culture of a people who live an average of 800 years be like? Would they still watch silly holodramas?

11. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008
    For some reason, I keep imagining Yoda's planet as having a lot of grasslands, and his people's short height lets them hide in it. And I figure they don't talk very much, because after a few hundred years you run out of things to say.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.