main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Gusher's Supplemental to the Basher's Sanctuary.

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Go-Mer-Tonic, Apr 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    Plus, she's sixteen. He's nine. This is the creepiest attempt at creating romantic tension since Luke and Leia. [face_laugh]

2. Lukecash

Lukecash Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Well, I don't think it was supposed to be romantic...but more like innocent love.

I never saw a "budding" romance, but my brother swears to god that he thought padme was a pedofile.

3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, Padme' was only sixteen, not an adult so she's not really a pedophile.

Still, on opening day the words "craddle-robber" were uttered more than once. Not by me, I thought it was just a friendly relationship, but by others goofin'.

4. Malthus

Malthus Jedi Master star 4

Mar 31, 1999
    Wasn't she 14?

5. Nrf-Hrdr

Nrf-Hrdr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 3, 2000
    "I don't think Padme was unemotional at all. I thought the scene where she comforted Anakin on the starship was one of the most "human" moments in TPM."

Yeah, it probably was, but that's more down to the nature of the lines then her rather deadpan, unemotive performance of them. It's a bit of a shame, really, because I thought Jake's performance in that scene was pretty good.

"She probably didn't have enough experience as an actress to overcome some of Lucas's more "unique" lines."

Well, I think the problem comes from the fact that we have seen her do great performances before (or one great performance, at least). I get the feeling Jabbadabbado (I think it was him, at least) may have been on the right track with his idea that Portman had all of her natural talent trained out of her.

6. Ulaleros

Ulaleros Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 25, 2001
    so...did you actually know that the word "supplemental" is not a noun? or were you just too anxious to use a cool word?

7. Ree Yees

Ree Yees Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    One big problem nowadays is the mentality of people concerning things about love and sexuality. Everybody thinks "paedophile" or what have you, when Lucas just tries to show us a caring relationship - it *is* possible for two persons to like each other a lot, even though they don't love each other. Kids at schools don't accept this, it seems, and are somehow more interested in gunning down fellow pupils (if you take my meaning).
    Our society has become too harsh for George's sweet fantasies. Same thing with the racism issue - a lot of people called George a racist, but the poor man is just making the most innocent movie series in the world.

I agree with ShaneP, though, that the characters (Ani and Padmé) don't work at all in "TPM", and the scene aboard the Naboo Cruiser is a harrowing experience. I nearly hanged myself the first time I saw it.

8. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    Well, thank goodness you're still here ;)

9. Ree Yees

Ree Yees Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    [face_blush]

Sometimes I write stuff faster than I think..

[face_blush]

10. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    Let's face it. We bashers get away with murder here. No other forum would allow our shenanigans here. Try posting an ESB or ROTJ basher sanctuary in the classic trilogy forum, see how long that lasts :)
    That's why I'm leaving. But I'll come back once AOTC reunites all the fans . . .

11. Malthus

Mar 31, 1999
  12. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Or you'll be back in a few hours. :p

13. Lukecash

Jun 6, 2001
    Gee....that will happen in 14 days.

Real long wait. :D

14. SomeRandomNerd

SomeRandomNerd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    You know what I really hate? The way George Lucas tries to tell everyone that he had the prequels already written in 1842, but was just waiting for the effects to catch up. Who does he think he's kidding?

;)

Back when I was writing Star Wars in 1974, I didn't really flesh the storyline of the first three episodes. I had a rough idea of what happened and who the major character were, but I didn't include a scene-by-scene scenario of what happened in my treatment. That is what made writing the script in 1995 and 1996 more difficult because I had to go back to my sparse treatment of the prequel and greatly flesh it out. Some old ideas that really didn't work anymore were thrown out. And I added a great deal of ideas that have developed in my mind over the years to the script. Over the past 15 years since the release of Jedi, I have been jotting down neat ideas I've come up with in one of my spiral notebooks. I took all the new ideas and the old ones from my original treatment and came up with a character-driven adventure.
    George Lucas, online interview (Leonard Maltin), 12/97

There was a point when I was writing Star Wars where I just sat down and went through the entire story. I think it came around the third or fourth draft. I wrote a treatment or a book of notes that went through all the scripts, even the trilogy that I'm currently working on. It was reasonably loose, but it laid out the basic story of what happens, who does what to whom, and the various major issues. While I was writing the treatment, I decided to limit Star Wars. I said this is the stuff that happens later, this is the stuff that happens before, and this is the material that I need to make the script about. And that's how it came that there was enough material for six scripts.
    - The Annotated Screenplays p. 120, (Laurent Bouzereau) 1997?

15. dahveed72

dahveed72 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2002
    quote:

But I'll come back once AOTC reunites all the fans

Have you actually seen the movie yourself? If not, why make meaningless declarative statements like this. You cant even be sure that YOU will like AOTC, or how much you will like it. Unless youve seen the entire movie, in which case ignore me.

16. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    It's just Duckie's style. He'll post stuff about how he's never returning because we've destroyed his spirit or some such nonsense, and then he's back within a few hours like nothing has happened. Remember the Seinfeld episode when George quits and then shows up the next day like nothing happened? Same thing, just on a message board.

17. Lukecash

Jun 6, 2001
    Before TPM I really didn't like ROTJ that much. To me, it was the worse of a all Star Wars Movie.

When I was getting ready for TPM, my only expectiation was that it wouldn't be WORSE than the ROTJ. It was much better. (IMHO)

However, after viewing TPM, the Luke vs. Vader/Emperor scenes took on a whole new meaning and wieght. Yodas death, was much sadder. And Threepios assent into godhood, was much more amusing and yet satisfying for when you realize the droid that was made of junk parts.

In fact, TPM raised my opinion of ROTJ.

So my question is to you: Could AOTC improve your veiw of TPM?

18. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    <Duckman's ghost>Actually, the main reason I left was because Bashers keep posting freakin' spoilers!</Duckman's ghost>

19. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Er...I thought this thread was for gushers. How come it's overrun with bashers? Isn't it enough for them that they have taken over just about every other thread on this board?

20. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    "Isn't it enough for them that they have taken over just about every other thread on this board?"

No. We want it all, and we want it all NOW! :p

21. SomeRandomNerd

SomeRandomNerd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    I thought the idea was that it's for gushers to respond to points in the Bashers Sanctuary without disturbing their worldview of an entire planet who didn't like TPM...

22. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Ah. OK, thanks for the explanation.

And ShaneP--I'm sure you do. 8-}

Edited because I couldn't get an emoticon right.

23. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    "Bashers Sanctuary without disturbing their worldview of an entire planet who didn't like TPM..."

[face_laugh]

24. Lukecash

Jun 6, 2001
    Actually, I thought this was a format for Gushers and Bashers to exchange ideas.

I put forward a question and you all ignored it :_|

Meanies :(

:p

25. Malthus

Mar 31, 1999
    Sorry Lukecash. I can't speak for the rest of these slackers, but THIS slacker has been out of the office and on vacation (still out of the office so posting will be spotty).

So my question is to you: Could AOTC improve your veiw of TPM?

The answer will depend on the individual. Depends on what they were disappointed with in TPM. I can only answer for myself. And my answer is..............

..... I don't know. I will know when I know. I may know what entertains me and what does not (TPM does not in so many places in which it should) but I don't have it down to an exact science, perhaps because that's not fun.

TPM has increased my appreciation for the OT, in a similar way to how the crappy Batman Forever increased my enjoyment of the first Michael Keaton Batman movie, so who knows. Perhaps AotC will help, but I don't know how since my problems have to do with what I am entertained by in movies. I'll keep my mind open, because even to this day I want to like what was done in TPM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.