main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Halls of Arrakeen - The Official D U N E and Frank Herbert discussion thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Sturm Antilles, Jul 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. razzy1319

razzy1319 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2004
    I've read Dune was probably halfway through CoD before I tired of it... Even with reading those books you kinda get confused by the dune miniseries and its sequels.

2. Crazydan

Crazydan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2005
    Yeah, that is why I'm not sure if any adaptations would do the Dune novels good. There always have to be editings to make sure the adaptation would be short.

Why did you got tired when you was reading CoD?

3. razzy1319

razzy1319 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2004
    I remember being bored... but wait... i think i finished the book... but i wasnt able to move on to God emperor because i thought it was going to be boring too...

4. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    How long is the new book ?

5. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    500 and something pages.

I'm only about 60 pages into it, so far, and while it is nice to see characters like Teg and Sexual-weapon Duncan again, it's quite disheartening to be reading them in the dumbed-down KJA/BH style.

Ah well. Hopefully following Frank's notes will force them to at least have SOME element of deeper meaning in there.

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, Chapterhouse was not good, I mean, just plan bad. I know Frank was in failing health and died while writing it, so the decline is understandable, but still visible in the novel itself. Having KJA work on this cannot decrease the quality of writing.

On the other hand, the deep philosphy of the Dune books, especially the latter ones, is what made them head and shoulder above the rest of sci-fi. God Emporer is the best example of this. I found it a fascinating read. The plot was boring and slow, characters unlikable and I hated what it did to the Dune universe, but it was fascinating because of the depth of dialogue and insight to the charactes, and deeper implications of what was going on. Have KJA write God Emporer and you have a book I wouldn't even finish.

So, in conclusion, I'm glad someone else is writing Dune 7, I'm glad they are basing it off the notes (otherwise, what's the point?), but I'm not comfortable with KJA being the author of canon Dune.

I can remember when i first read 'House Atreides'. It was actually not bad! Then along came "House Harkonnen", which was a bit worse, and then "House Corrino" which was just.....the worst thing those guys have contributed to the Dune Universe...

You think? I thought they were all about the same: intreging story which I would have liked, except for some writing stylistic problems I have with KJA (which you've already pointed out) and the horrific continuity problems (I was stunned when they had a robot, A ROBOT!!! in the first book). I enjoyed listening to them on tape, but not sure I would have read them all.

I got Hunters of Dune a few days ago and I couldn't believe it when I opened the book at home. It was a signed copy. I was happy.

Huh? How on earth did that happen? They randomly signed some? Wouldn't eBay vultures just descend on the book stores and thumb through each copy until they found which ones were signed?

I remember there being rumors that they were thinking about resurrecting Paul, but I hadnt heard about all of the others. What is this, a Ghola All-Star Team or something?

Well, Scytale had DNA from Paul and Chani in Chapterhouse, but how did Duncan and team get it? It was Scytale's deepest secret. And Dr. Huey? That's pushing it. The idea of a "great enemy" was also elluded to in Chapterhouse. As I recall, the Matres came back to the Old Empire because they were actually fleeing the enemy.

Can someone remind me how Chapterhouse ended? I remember what's-her-face, (the converted Matres) became both leader of the Matres and head of the Bene-Gesuites (or however you spell that), then I remember Duncan and Teg fleeing, but I cannot remember why. And then there was that weird thing about face dancer trying to capture them as they left. What else have I forgotten?

6. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Huh? How on earth did that happen? They randomly signed some? Wouldn't eBay vultures just descend on the book stores and thumb through each copy until they found which ones were signed?

Go here Besides, I bought it the day it came out.

7. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    Hmm, yeah, fun for the eBay vultures it is, then.

8. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    You've pretty much gotten the ending of Chapterhouse spot-on. To be honest it had been sometime since I had read it, but "Hunters" does a decent job of getting you back up to speed. Duncan and Company stole a No-ship along with a band of Bene Gesserit (apparently led by Sheeana, aka the girl who can control the worms) to head off on their own because this band of Bene Gesserit didn't agree with the Sisterhood and the Matres being united. They then ran into the "Old Man and Old Woman" who are apparently trying to capture the No-Ship (you find out why they're after it in this current book) and so HUNTERS starts off with team Duncan-Teg flying around trying to avoid the "NET" that the old man and old woman are using to try to find them. Duncan is the only person who can 'see' this net, for whatever reason.

Scytale was being held prisoner/being protected aboard the No-Ship that was stolen (which the Sisters had been using to hold, hide and contain sexual-weapon Duncan Idaho). Apparently he is the last living Master of the original Bene Tleilax (The Honoured Matres made it a point to wipe out the Tleilaxu,though you're finding out that there was a LOST branch that had gone off in the scattering and had apparently engineered this new breed of FACE DANCER, but has now been wiped out by said-Face Dancers). Also (not to reveal any SPOILERS, or anything, but) Scytale was not the only member of his race who had these cellular remanents of past Legends stored away. It seems as if all of the Masters did.

So far, the story seems to be building towards something interesting. Still don't have a solid sense of where it's going, but I haven't enjoyed any of the NEW Dune books this much since the original HOUSE ATREIDES.

Hopefully it keeps up (but i, of course, have my reservations :p)

9. Darth-Stryphe

Apr 24, 2001
    Duncan and Company stole a No-ship along with a band of Bene Gesserit (apparently led by Sheeana, aka the girl who can control the worms) to head off on their own because this band of Bene Gesserit didn't agree with the Sisterhood and the Matres being united.

Wait, my memory must be faulty, I thought they were all in on that plan. I do remember Duncan hinting that he'd have to leave once it was excuted, but I still can't remember why.

Tleilaxu,though you're finding out that there was a LOST branch that had gone off in the scattering and had apparently engineered this new breed of FACE DANCER, but has now been wiped out by said-Face Dancers).

Different than the new breed in Heretic?

10. Crazydan

Apr 1, 2005
    Well, I just saw A History of Violence tonight. I thought it was enjoyable and interesting. But I find it okay compared to the comic the film is adapted off. Anyway, my reason for posting this: William Hurt was SO HAMMY in this film as the Irish crime boss, Ritchie. Was he trying black comedy or what? Was he trying to be funny or serious? That scene when he punished a dead criminal for failing to kills off Joey.... oh god, this scene just had me laughing.

Yeah, why does some people like William Hurt? What is so great about him?

11. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    I saw the new book for 40% off at Borders today. I was tempted to buy it but money's tight for the next ten days or so.

12. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    I thought that performance was brilliant, really. Most life, most RANGE i've seen outta William Hurt in a LONG time. For awhile there he had been typecast as the brooding, solemn, goodguy type.

(course i also still don't get why so many people hated his Dune performance. I gues i'm just a William Hurt fan. Course, anyone who showed up in "DARK CITY" will forever be on my GOOD list!)

13. Crazydan

Apr 1, 2005
    Well, I felt Ed Harris did some great acting in A History of Violence and deserves the "Supporting Actor Oscar" nomination than Will did. And I thought Will was just... okay in the Dune miniseries. But he didn't do too great as Leo Atreides, and that was a dissapointment in my opinion.

14. Drew_Atreides

Apr 30, 2002
    ....oh yes, i finished reading "Hunters of Dune"..

And i've gotta say: it wasn't horrible. In fact, it wasn't bad.

There was one trueblue KJA moment (What amounts to a farting contest), but otherwise......It wasn't bad. I think we all knew what it was that was coming for the Honored Matres, but the reveal of the origin of the orange-eyed women was actually interesting..

KJA and BH could probably have cut the book down by half if they would just STOP with their habit of starting each and every chapter with what amounts to a summary of everything that's come before in that storyline (of course, that would also probably mean we'd be dealing with chapters that were 2 pages in length). You know, guys, most readers ARE capable of remembering what happened 2 chapters-previous!

But i must say, it left me wanting more so.....It's worth checking out of you're a Dune fan (although the BIG REVEAL would probably be a bit more clear for you if you have read the Butlerian Jihad trilogy).

15. DVader316

Feb 18, 2000
    Hmm, sounds good. Still havent picked it up, though; Ill probably end up asking for it for my BDay in a month or so.

16. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
  17. Palpateen

Palpateen Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2000
    Yes. It's Peter "let me jerk my camera all over the place to look edgey" Berg. Dune had a troubled history as a project even before David Lynch got ahold of it, this goes back decades. If someone's gonna remake Dune, they should shoot for the moon and get an AWESOME director, NOT Peter Berg. He's had a few hits, and he's a decent but not exceptional director.

18. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Terry Gilliam...?

19. Rouge Null

Rouge Null Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Were it up to me I'd ask Spielberg to team up with the Wachowski's. I think between the three of them they'd find the mix of style and substance needed for Dune. I'd also turn it into a duology in order to accommodate the length and complexity of the story.

20. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Tim Burton?

21. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    A new movie huh. I wonder if it will just encompass Dune or if it will go into Dune Messiah at all?

Has anyone read the new Paul of Dune book?

22. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    I've read a few chapters of the new "Paul of Dune" book. Usual B. Herbert and KA Anderson crap...or rather, not really crap, but just bland.

Honestly, you can get better stuff from fanfics. Seriously, if you want to waste your money, go ahead, it can be a cure for insomnia.

Oh, as for plans for new Dune movie, I'm not going to be too bothered by it. If it get done, I'll watch it. If not, I can wait for anotehr ten years. For now, I can still enjoy laughing at the 80s movie (Chaaaaksaaa!) and the mini-series (Ahhh-treeeh-deees!).

As for Berg, I thought 'The Kingdom' was enjoyable if typical action-movie. Perhaps the guy who played the Saudi cop can play Stilgar for Dune, he was kinda cool. Alas, we'll probalby get Garner playing Lady Jessica.

:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.