main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Hater Community

Discussion in 'Literature' started by barnsthefatjedi, Mar 21, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    **THIS IS NOT A THREAD DEVOTED TO BASHING THE WHOLE EU**

No doubt many of you have entered this thread out of either curiousity or with the pure intent of criticising me for being so immature, stupid, yada, yada, yada....

Well this ís the place where people who are not afraid or ashamed of expressing their disgust for **CERTAIN ASPECTS** of the EU, in a rational, sensible manner. Let me once again emphasise that this is not a thread for bashing all of the EU. I along with many others who participate in the various ______haters unite threads enjoy the EU novels as much as anyone else.

However, as good as most of it may be, it is NOT perfect. We all have that certain character or book that we loath and wish was never dumped into the GFFA. Well everyone, this thread is the place to be to express and discuss your various distastes with fellow JC members. Some may call it bashing, I'd call it criticism. However you word it there is nothing wrong with discussing the negative aspects of the EU. Just as the fans of whatever the book or character may be are allowed to voice their opinions, so should those of us with opposite views be able to discuss ours.

So here is how to join the Community. State what it is you particularly dislike and then explain why. I hope this thread will stimulate some interesting discussion.

If you support this thread and are quite happy to voice negative as well as positive opnions then please add this line to your signature: Member of the Hater Community.

BTW if you did come in here with the intention of mindlessly and blindly flaming this thread then you have joined the Community without even wanting to. LOL
    Please, if you don't like this thread then don't start ranting and raving. You are welcome to your views as we are welcome to ours.

Get posting! :cool:

2. neimoidian_85

neimoidian_85 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Can we put one of these in Ethe Episode 2 forum saying its there to "Talk about things you hate about Episode 2 you just don't bash!" Right

3. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    I don't see how you could have a descious about not liking a certain character or story.

"I hate Callista." "Yeah, she is stupid." "I hope she died of cancer." "I wan to shoot her head off."

Explain please?

4. Ben_Solo

Ben_Solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2001
    I am in total agreement with you barns, i will join the Haters Community and share my views with others.

5. barnsthefatjedi

Feb 17, 2001
    This thread is for sensible dicussion about characters/books that you do not like. The point is not to 'bash' ie. merely state that you do not like a character/book. It is where you DISCUSS WHY you do not like the charcter/book. If you don't understand that or you absolutely like EVERYTHING in the EU then clearly, this is not the place for you.

6. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Ahh I understand now.

I made an assumtion, just as you just have. I apologize.

Now, lets get some discussing going on.

7. KansasNavy

KansasNavy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    SCREW the rules! This is the Lit Forum's frontier. We're breaking new ground with the hater clubs, and the HC is the pinnacle. It's wild space now boys'n girls. FLAME'N BASH ALL YA WANT!!! [face_laugh]

8. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    I dislike Mara, as I've stated....she's just a terribly weak character. Who's overrated and overhyped in books. Don't get me wrongo, she's interesting to a certain point, but everyone in the EU is treated unfairly because of Luke and Mara ::shudders;: Im a Luke fan(atleast he doesn't whine anymore).

9. barnsthefatjedi

Feb 17, 2001
    No need to apologise Wedge88 :)

10. barnsthefatjedi

Feb 17, 2001
    LOL KansasNavy! [face_laugh]

Please feel free to 'FLAME'N BASH' as long as you clearly explain WHY you do not like whatever it is you don't like. ;)

11. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    This Community just might work, Can I be second in command of it? LoL

12. sweetheart

sweetheart Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    Hate is fun :D

I hate Callista, who is the worst Mary Sue ever written, with her "leggy blonde looks", "lovely singing voice", "incredible knowledge of the Old Jedi Order".

I hate Isolder, who is the worst Gary Stu ever written, incredibly perfect in every way, oh and of course he is Force-sensitive and bears a striking resemblence to Fabio.

Oh, and I hate Bria who is also a Mary Sue who stole the Death Star plans despite the fact they've been stole by like 15 other EU characters, but not just that, the whole idea of giving Han the love of his life before Leia reeks.

Wow, I have a lot of hate in me. I guess I'm turning to the Dark Side...

13. barnsthefatjedi

Feb 17, 2001
    LOL Fire_Ice_Death. There is no command structure in the Community. We are all equals here.

14. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Hey your comment reminds me of the Offspring song "It's cool to hate". Okay enough going off topic, valid reasons, you hate Mary Sues and Gary Stu's. Good ones :D I applaud your hate my friend.

15. DarthSeti5

DarthSeti5 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 6, 2001
    Every hate thread has either sunken to the pits of pages past three, or is full of stupid remarks about why a character is "stupid." You do know that everyone who dislikes any SW character is going to come in here and just bash them 'til their little black hearts are content, don't you?

16. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Isn't that the point? We also have made it a point to state that their viewpoint is valid. I think any SW fan should be smart enough to abide by that rule.

17. barnsthefatjedi

Feb 17, 2001
    Excellent I can feel your anger Sweetheart! LOL. Show your devotion to the Dark Side by formally becoming a member. Just add this line to your signature: 'Member of the Hater Community'

Once enough members join we can all get down to some serious negative discussion.

18. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    LoL!!! Negative discusson....LoL, I love it! :p

19. barnsthefatjedi

Feb 17, 2001
    DarthSeti5 as Fire_Ice_Death rightly says, bashers are entitled to their views. The whole point of this thread is to criticise or 'bash', as you put it AS LONG AS IT IS DONE SENSIBLY WITH AN EXPLANATION.

20. sweetheart

sweetheart Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    LOL barnsthefatjedi, I never realized the full extent of my hatred till I started typing...muahahaha! But seriously, I'm usually a nice person, I wouldnt' want to go against my nickname now would I? :D

21. barnsthefatjedi

Feb 17, 2001
    LOL sweetheart. Well, I don't know, I'd personally find the irony rather amusing. Go on give in to your hatred! [face_laugh]

Now for some discussion:
    Although I loath Callista ( I could not stand her whining about not being Lukes equal), I dislike Akanah from the Black Fleet Crisis even more.
    The Black Fleet Crisis was an excellent series. Or at least 2/3 of it was. There was the part with the Yevetha, and the awesome part with Lando & Lobot. And then...then there was a storyline which contained a character, who even thinking about fills me with more hatred than Palpatine. Her name was Akanah. She was an anoying pacifist for one (which I think is partly to blame for Luke's irritating pacifism), but the worst point about her was that she used Luke. She claimed to know Luke's mother and said she would lead him to her. But she didn't know Luke's mom at all, she was just using him to get back to her people. :mad:

However there is a light at the end of the tunnel, she was never in anymore books. HALLELUJAH!
    Who else hates Akanah?

EDIT: for spelling

22. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    I haven't read the BFC yet, but yes, I hate that little tart with a passion. But can you blame her for using Obi-waaa....I mean Luke like that( ;) ) But yes, that was truly sucky what she did. Thank god she hasn't popped up yet.

23. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Okay, I HAAAATTTEEE how they haven't used Ghent, he was a great character. Underrated at best and they never used him again. I'd love to see him kick some Vong butt with some weapons he 'sliced' into. Hehehehe.....wishful thinking...

I also hate continuity oblivion, it's stupid. Yeah they're minor characters and no one cares about them.(sarcasm)Alot of us like them more than the Canon characters.

24. barnsthefatjedi

Feb 17, 2001
    Fire_Ice_Death You've hit the nail on the head. I absolutely share that opinion. One author invents some really good characters, then the next one ignores them and selfishly invents their own and the cycle repeats. If characters are invented they should be used, not just quietly forgotten about. even 'semi-major' characters such as Talon Karrde are under used. The odd reference or speech and then they are ignored. Many people might argue that the authors do not want to use other people's characters through fear of misrepresenting them. Well, if they do not feel they are capable of understanding and using other authors' characters then what the hell are they writing Star Wars books for!

25. RNolan

RNolan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 5, 2000
    I have little time for Marvel since the better half of it is slightly amusing but the majority of it is entire too silly or too melodramatic .I dislike the Tales for similar reasons .

Dark Empire is not brilliant since the central story is a bit feeble, but it does have good bits and even though I dislike the plot it is done well for what it is .I don't hate it, but it's sequels magnify the originals weakness and I certainly dislike them .

Mara Jade is a very abrasive arrogant sort of character .I found Leia hard to like in the films for the same reasons and Leia is much less flawed in those respects than Mara, so you can imagine my feelings for her .

Kyp the Butcher of Caridia (sp.?) is easily my least favourite character in the entire EU .As abrasive as Jade if not more so .And he seems to have recovered from killing billions very, very quickly - unless one believes the acroprycal (IMO) 'Simple Tricks' which seems to clash with continuity - it is set after JAT at the end of which Kyp is far less desperate yet also set before Darksaber in which he is as static as ever .

The JAT wasn't great due to Kyp (see above) and the utter waste made of the potential of Daala .I don't demand the villains all be omnipotent geniuses or Sith powerful enough to incinerate universes at the snap of a finger, but I would at least ask them to be capable .

That's it I think .

Yours

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.