main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Haunting of Hill House / Bly Manor [Netflix]

Discussion in 'Community' started by TCF-1138 , Sep 1, 2020.

1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    "No live organism can continue to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality. Even larks and katydids are supposed by some to dream. Hill House, not sane, stood by itself against its hills holding darkness within. It had stood so for a hundred years before my family moved in, and might stand a hundred more. Within, walls stood upright, bricks met neatly, floors were firm. Silence lay steadily against the wood and stone of Hill House. And whatever walked there... walked alone."

[​IMG]

Fall is approaching, and with it, the horror season. I'm of the opinion that The Haunting of Hill House is some of the best horror produced in decades (maybe because I prefer ghost stories to every other genre of horror), and yesterday saw the release of the first trailer for the follow-up, The Haunting of Bly Manor, which will premiere on October 9.

Not a season 2 as such, as it doesn't narratively connect to the Crain family or Hill House at all, but it's a spiritual (hm.) successor by the same creators, with some of the cast returning in new roles. Bly Manor is based on several ghost stories by Henry James, most notably his 1898 novella The Turn of the Screw.

I think the trailer looks very promising, and The Turn of the Screw is a brilliant ghost story.

This thread is for discussing both shows (and any potential future follow ups).

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Hill House was one of the best shows in recent memory. I am a big fan of the original The Haunting film, though I have never read the book.

So looking forward to Bly Manor!

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I love The Haunting. And the Hill House show. And the trailer for this. And this thread. And everything.

4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I haven't actually seen the original The Haunting. Just the awful remake from 1999.

5. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Full trailer for Bly Manor:

Looks brilliant.

Dagobahsystem and Point Given like this.
  6. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I’m scared. Don’t do horror.

7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I am not gonna watch that because I don't want any kind of knowledge going in. Never read The Turn of the Screw and I am so stoked for this. Hill House was amazing.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  8. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, I can understand not wanting to watch the trailer -- especially if you haven't read The Turn of the Screw (as this seems to actually be a semi-faithful adaptation of). And the show is out in just a couple of weeks anyway. :)

9. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I’m avoiding all trailers and going in blind. Happy to see it’s a new story. Looking forward to studying the backgrounds in every episode to search for ghosts and other hidden Easter eggs.

10. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Trust vin to go into a haunted house looking for chocolate

soitscometothis likes this.
  11. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Mmm chocolate

12. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Poor Captain Bly. First his ship gets mutineered then his manor gets haunted.

soitscometothis likes this.
  13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I enjoyed The Haunting of Hill House even though I see horror as usually dumb and cheap. Here's hoping they keep to the spirit without being too same-y.

Lord Vivec, Ghost and solojones like this.
  14. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    With only the last episode left to watch I must say this has not been perfectly splendid. The show needs to be more eerie and scary. Hopefully the final episode can salvage something.

Healer_Leona and Darth Punk like this.
  15. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    The opera's really good. I'll give this a go.

16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It was ok. Though disappointed. Not nearly as good as the first, though it got some good things from it, it was still its own unique story.

But glasses guy wasn’t scary. And was he just a figment of her imagination? Same with the uncle’s evil twin?

Also, they hinted at “how” the parents died being a thing, but it wasn’t revisited and didn’t reconnect.

Maybe it’s the special effects, but losing the eyes/face was a little silly to me.

Also, all the ghosts disappearing instantly was a little anticlimactic. As was the main “villain” and her story.

How the main character “had” to die and join with faceless Viola seemed both too depressing and unnecessary. While the kids getting amnesia about it basically as they grew older felt it made it too light. Especially after what Miles did, and what happened to him.

nilzo antonio likes this.
  17. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    more like cuck with glasses

18. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I enjoyed Hill House, and now I'm going through Bly Manor (slowly, because I get scared easily). My favorite thing about Horror is the Mystery, and both of these shows had that a-plenty.

19. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    I was expecting a lot more seasonal rot with Bly Manor than I thought there was. My biggest issue is it buries the lede a bit too much on what the story is about, I think, but once it becomes evident what the story is, I think it's top notch. I'm a little torn between which of the two I prefer, but they're nicely different and thematic companion pieces.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  20. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Turned this on the other night and was 3 episodes in. Not scary, though some bits of chill. Didn't think glasses ghost was really a ghost, so there's that.

Got to episode 6 and was happy it seemed to get scary. Now have to finish it up.

21. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I really must say how disappointed I was with this series. The story is fine and all but not exactly what I was looking forward to. And now after watching the trailer I would have been truly pissed. I want to watch a show as good as that trailer.

nilzo antonio likes this.
  22. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    It didn't do the "Holy Crap" moments of the first season.
    So, yeah, not as impactful, but I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    A softer hearted ghost story.

23. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Finished up late and while a bit surprised it went more love sotry than ghost, it was a decent ending.

N0w I'll go backwards and watch HIll House.

Ghost likes this.
  24. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Finished the series, really enjoyed it. It was definitely a slower burn than the first one but it focused on the things I enjoy in horror the most.

I do have a question though:

So the Lady in the Lake every once in a while at night walks out and goes to the closed off wing of the manor. However before it was closed off...the kids parents would sleep in the bed there...which means every once in a while she'd walk up to find them sleeping in that bed and did....nothing? Didn't attack them?

Ghost and Rylo Ken like this.
  25. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Exactly! @Lord Vivec That bugged me a bit.

It seems to require some kind of contrived Star wars fan style explanation like the death of their parents making the kids more attuned to the ghosts, and that enhanced tuning in turn making the lady of the lake more active after the parents' death. The last episodes seemed to support this in that she had about the same number of appearances in the intervening centuries before the current family moved in as she did after the nanny moved in ... blah blah blah

I liked this more on the whole than season one, despite

another Hollywood ending kind of derailing the whole mood...

I guess it's now a trademark of the show. This season's ending at least seemed slightly more organic to the themes of the individual episodes.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020