main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Haunting of Hill House / Bly Manor [Netflix]

Discussion in 'Community' started by TCF-1138 , Sep 1, 2020.

1. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I liked how we got charactercentric episodes. I’ll give them that.

GregMcP, Ghost and Healer_Leona like this.
  2. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Season 2 holds together better as a complete and integrated story with the character episodes than season 1. But the narrative at the heart of season one is maybe my all time favorite ghost story. It's untoppable.

3. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Ok, you conviced me to start it right now.

vin likes this.
  4. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    The Children of Green Knowe and its ghost network was one of my favorite books when I was little, probably why this series grabbed me so hard by the, um, nostalgia.

Healer_Leona likes this.
  5. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Damn, first episode had me jump a couple times. lol

Point Given and vin like this.
  6. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    About to start Episode 6. Episode 5 was up there with the Bent Neck Lady and Two Storms episodes from Hill House.

7. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Made it thru 4 episodes of Hill House last night. I'm finding it much scarier then Bly Manor, or perhaps it's more Hill House having the Crain children being terrorized more than the kids in Bly Manor... except for that one part...

8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I finished it last night. The ending was a bit of a downer. Hill House didn't have a particularly "happy" ending either, so I guess it's to be expected. Some thoughts:

1. Dani's fiance and Henry's alter ego were not "real" ghosts, right? They were metaphorical representations of their overwhelming guilt and self-loathing. It's strange there was no clear resolution to that part. Dani and Henry just got over it, I guess. Dani found new love with Jamie and Henry got sober and devoted his life to his adopted children.
    2. One of the major themes is everything, specifically memories, fading with time. The ghosts fade and forget who they are and what they're doing, Miles and Flora only vaguely remember the events of that summer in Bly Manor. It's unclear how that works, though.
    3. It's also unclear how much older Jamie is making up. There's no way she could have known about the origin of the faceless female murder ghost, assuming it "really" existed. She seems to admit there is no Bly Manor, but as the ending reveals, all her characters are based on real people. The older Uncle Henry seems to know what her story is about.
    4. If the older Flora doesn't even remember Jamie, why is she at the wedding? I guess Henry invited her.
    5. Peter and Flora mention talking to "other" ghosts, but all the other ghosts we see are of the faceless variety with fading memories.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    Ghost likes this.
  9. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Finished it, the ending made me tear up. It was more eerie than scary like Hill House, but I enjoyed the story more.

I figured that Dani might have had a little insight into Viola given the time she had with her, and told Jamie? That's the only thing that makes sense. And yeah it bugs me that Viola's ghost never got the parents or Henry and his brother's parents given how long Bly Manor was in their family.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    Healer_Leona likes this.