main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics The High Republic Adventures: The Nameless Terror (Dark Horse miniseries) by George Mann

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, May 27, 2022.

1. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  2. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2016
    The fellow front and center looked so much like Zayne Carrick to my sleepy eyes that I did a double take!

3. JP-82

JP-82 Jedi Youngling

Jun 10, 2022
    looking forward to this! love the art team here

4. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    Hope that model of the droid from the cover is manufactured by Arakyd Industries, would be great to see more positive side of this company.

5. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    According to Previews World, this is a 4-issue mini. Solicits for issues #1 and 2:
    STAR WARS THE NAMELESS TERROR #1 (OF 4)
    Even in the shining light of the High Republic, there are shadows lurking in the galaxy.

A Jedi mission to the planet Dalna suddenly comes under attack by unknown assailants. As the knights retreat to an ancient structure, it quickly becomes clear that they are far from safe.

Something evil stalks the ruins, a ruthless predator, an unknown terror, a Nameless Fear!

STAR WARS THE NAMELESS TERROR #2 (OF 4)
    After the attack by the Path of the Open Hand, the Jedi mission to Dalna recuperate aboard the crashed spaceship. But they are far from alone. Stalked by both Path disciples and a Nameless evil, the trapped Jedi knights enact a desperate plan to escape. But how will the defenders of the Republic fare against a monster that feeds off of the Force itself?

6. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2023
  7. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    I like the idea of a Phase I frame story! I wonder if the shift between phases would have been less jarring if more stories had taken this approach.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  8. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    In this case it seems more like a Phase 3 already.

Supreme Leader Woke likes this.
  9. Supreme Leader Woke

Dec 29, 2017
    Yeah, good point! Or maybe it’s set between phases.

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I think it would have helped quite a bit.

11. gat-65b

gat-65b Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 13, 2022
    I think there's at least a pretty good chance of that happening in the next Edge of Balance volume as it stars Arkoff, the Wookiee Jedi Master from the previous two volumes in his younger days.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  12. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Indeed. Though I find it kind of funny that
    Trail of Shadows was all about the jedi knowing nothing of the nameless and taking risks to learn more with only a barely remembered nursy rhyme to guide them, and here Ty knows the rhyme and stories about a previous jedi encounter with them. Caphtr's job would have been a lot easier if he had known her.

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Talking of the nameless and that rhyme, is it just me that gets a B5 Dream Hunter vibe off of it?

14. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Why do Ty's head tendrils look like dreadlocks?

AusStig likes this.
  15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    This was a fun story, more examples of the Path of the Open Hand getting in over their heads for dubious reasons, and more fun Jedi picking up after them. Also looks like we'll very likely be seeing more of Ty in Phase 3.

16. Supreme Leader Woke

Dec 29, 2017
    So, when do we think this story takes place?
    The Path members identify with the Closed Fist, which means it’s after the Battle of Dalna. But not too long after, since the Jedi in the story haven’t gotten word of the battle yet. Plus, would Marda really send for more Nameless, post-Dalna? Maybe the Mother launched a second mission to Planet X during the battle? I suppose that actually works pretty well.

17. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    It's definitely prior to/during Cataclysm and Path of Vengeance, because the Jedi Master in this story(I forget his name) that was on Quest For The Hidden City makes an appearance in Quest for Planet X and the padawan from this comic is now his padawan. And they are on their way to Dalna.

This group of Path members were probably sent out by the Mother, not Marda.

AusStig and Supreme Leader Woke like this.
  18. Supreme Leader Woke

Dec 29, 2017
    Ah, I had forgotten about the crossover appearances of the Jedi, and that the ship is on its way to Dalna. Definitely concurrent, then.
    In any case, the Closed Fist appearing in this comic doesn’t realllly fit with the timing of the Path’s rebirth in Path of Vengeance, does it? Ah well, not a big deal.

19. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    We don't have time stamps, but Path of Vengeance has a pretty broad timeline Jedha to the Night of Sorrow. I think Marda declares the Close Fist when they are in transit from Jedha to Dalna aboard the Gaze Electric. So this squad could have been dispatched at any point along from there. The problem is all the nameless eggs. I'm really unclear as to the chronology of Cataclysm/Path of Vengeance/Planet X.

That will probably end up sorted in a sourcebook later on.

Supreme Leader Woke likes this.
  20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    This was a great little story with excellent writing, art and presentation, due to Panini publishing it in the UK.

The framing structure it uses of Ty Yorrick narrating a tale passed down from Jedi Master to Jedi Master is one I would have liked the rest of Phase II to have, only the manga uses it.

As has become usual for a High Republic all ages story, it has some of the scariest horror going. Especially the scenes where the characters are gathered in the hold, slowly cracking Leveller eggs all around them.

21. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    wrong thread

Last edited: Jan 8, 2024