main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books Comics The High Republic (aka "Project Luminous")

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Xammer, Apr 15, 2019.

1. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I heard Yaddle appeared in one of those books, but don't know the specifics. Is she on leave from the council like Yoda or is there another reason why she apparently preceded Carro in your listing? Either way great work!

I also can't help but notice they keep saying Rancisis is one of the older Masters on the council, which raises its own questions. Assuming he has now been alive longer than the average human might live, say early 100's, then we are left with a rather narrow window where he was trained by Yaddle it seems. Though that goes back to her species rather convoluted aging and development, where Yoda, at roughly double the age of Grogu was apparently capable of training apprentices of his own.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  2. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Oppo Rancisis in Legends was born in 207 BBY as he was 175 years old in 32 BBY.

3. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Well he seems to be mutch more older in canon, and Yaddle might be older too in canon, Yaddle to mee like Yoda seems to be the one of the more senior members, I wonder if Yareal is 500+.

4. Darth_SHOT

Darth_SHOT Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Man i did not picture the Blade or Bardotta as space Hagrid at all! Looks cool though, i can see that big guy kicking all kinds of ass.
    It's extra bad ass that a guy as big as he is managed to surf a tiny Vector's wing.

5. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Oppo Rancisis could easily be a hundred-odd years older. Say born in 325 BBY, making him 150 years older than he was in Legends. No real need to change Yaddle's age.

6. ColemanKcajFTW

ColemanKcajFTW Jedi Master star 1

Jan 14, 2014
    Thanks! During the middle act of Out of the Shadows, Vern comes back to the Jedi Temple on Coruscant for a bit. When she's going to meet her master, she runs into Yaddle, who is just there for a short visit from her own sabbatical somewhere in the galaxy, just like Yoda as you said.

It is slightly hilarious to think Yoda was training apprentices at our equivalent age of ten. That or his species just mentally develops like a truck.

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  7. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    They still refer Oppo Rancisis as a senior member i think, so he probaly be 100-200 by high republic era. Also Yaddle could be made older unless they make Rancisis one of her early students. Also would Yareal have two lightsabers with his for arms, maybe two double bladed.

8. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    Yaddle has always been defined by being a Yoda that is roughly half of Yoda's age, though I supposed there isn't much preventing them from changing that the closer to Yoda's age she gets the more she loses part of her mystic IMPOV, though there is still the fact she is female which still adds its own thing to the species.

Wait, did she talk!:eek:
    Normal talk or Yoda speak?:yoda:
    Or did I just misinterpret your statement and this is all the narrator talking?

It feels kind of weird she takes a sabbatical at the same time as Yoda, I feel there's a story there.:confused:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  9. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    So in Race to crashpoint
    the heroes make a deal with the Drengir and work together.

This is crazy to me, are the Drengir not entirely evil? if you can make a deal then peace is possible. They seem more like individuals than a single hive mind. So are they really more a species than before?

It could raise some interesting questions.

10. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    I've been thinking, why is there so little description of Dez Rydan? If there's any pre-existing High Republic character who could be a video game protagonist, it's him.

11. ColemanKcajFTW

ColemanKcajFTW Jedi Master star 1

Jan 14, 2014
    @ConservativeJedi321

Nope, Yaddle speaks! And I think unlike in Legends, she doesn't have Yoda's particular speech pattern, so it seems for the moment it's just a thing unique to him.

They name the planet she's staying on (Kronk), and she and Vern do seem to have a past relationship as informal student/teacher. Yoda's story in Adventures is focused around him searching for lore and knowledge, I could see Vern coming to Yaddle for some of her expertise on some particular subjects.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    SWpants and ConservativeJedi321 like this.
  12. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    Fascinating! Probably the most we've learned about the species since we first met Baby Yoda. Personally I've always favored it being a quirk of the species cause I find that more interesting than it being something Yoda consciously does. But I understand why they didn't go that rout.

Maybe the council allows two members to go on leave at any given time, with the assurance they can get their seat back whenever they so choose. That would go a long way to explaining some of the oddities surrounding the councils composition across TCW and the EU.[face_thinking]

ColemanKcajFTW likes this.
  13. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Huh -- my copy of Out Of The Shadows hasn't arrived, and that sure wasn't the spoiler I expected!

14. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I wonder what relation Engle being "the blade of Bardotta" has to do with Bardotta kicking out the jedi, if anything

Personally, I liked the original idea that Yoda's speech patterns just come from his age and the common grammar having changed over the course of his long life.

15. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I bought 2 new books today. One by Scott and another by Ireland. Don’t know which one comes 1st, haven’t had time to look at them yet.

16. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    If you’re talking about The Rising Storm and Out of the Shadows, the Scott book comes first! :)

AusStig and JEDI-SOLO like this.
  17. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Ok then! Thanks.

18. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    How 'junior' are the junior novels? I have read Light of The Jedi, The Rising Storm, Into The Dark and Out of The Shadows...but really am not into reading 'kid books'.

19. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    They are rather junior, not bad mind, but aimed at a younger crowd. Though they are short so the bad parts are over quickly and there are some good parts in them too.

20. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Young Jedi Knights or more kid book than that??

21. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    “Hey, stop her!”

The sense of calm shattered and Vernestra opened her eyes to see a maintenance droid chasing a small, dark-skinned human girl riding a scoot speeder built of odds and ends. The girl’s hair framed her face in a halo of riotous curls, and she held a brightly shining power crystal in a single gloved hand. The expression of joyous triumph on her face was one that Vernestra knew all too well.

Avon Starros, daughter of Senator Ghirra Starros, was once again up to no good.

Avon had not yet seen Vernestra, and the Jedi used that to her advantage. Vernestra raised her hands, palms flat toward Avon, and pushed with the Force. The girl went flying backward off of her homemade contraption, but instead of letting her fall hard onto the deck, Vernestra kept Avon suspended in the air while the vehicle froze in the middle of the docking bay.

“Avon,” Vernestra said sweetly. “What is going on?”

Avon twisted around in midair, her happy expression souring when she spied Vernestra. “Ugh, I thought you were already on the ship.”

“No, I decided to take one last walk through the outpost before we left. I can see I am not the only one. What did you do?”

“Nothing! I didn’t do anything. By the stars, I don’t know why you always think everything is my fault, Vern.”

Vernestra gritted her teeth against the terrible nickname. Master Douglas Sunvale called her that, and while she was not about to correct a Jedi Master, she had no such qualms about correcting a girl younger than her. “Please don’t call me that.” She released her hold on the Force and let Avon fall to the ground, which was not all that far. The scoot speeder, which Avon had no doubt built from taken materials left unattended around the port, crashed into a nearby stack of shipping crates.

“You are the worst,” Avon groaned, splaying her limbs out dramatically on the ground.

“It wasn’t that far,” Vernestra said, even though it had been a bit mean to let the girl fall.

“I will take that,” the maintenance droid said, plucking the crystal from Avon’s gloved hand before stomping back the way it had come. Vernestra walked over to Avon and offered her a hand up, but the younger girl just glared at her and picked herself up on her own.

“One day, when I am the galaxy’s foremost inventor, I am going to create a device that blocks the Force,” Avon said. “And then let’s see how you like that.”

Vernestra laughed. “Avon, we’ve discussed this. The Force is all around and inside of us, as well. It isn’t like your power crystals. It’s impossible to block the Force. Also, why did you take that droid’s energy crystal?”

Avon huffed. “It’s for an experiment, and it’s not like I’m going to tell you, Jedi. I know you’ll find a way to ruin it somehow. Besides, can’t you just read my mind?” The girl crossed her arms and Vernestra sighed. She and Avon always butted heads. It wasn’t because Vernestra didn’t like the young girl. Quite the opposite—she found Avon’s many inventions and theories to be endlessly fascinating. But Avon did not like to be told no, and she had ended up in Port Haileap precisely for that reason. Her mother, Senator Ghirra Starros, had sent her there, hoping that some time spent on the edge of space would make Avon more appreciative of her life on Coruscant. All it had done was make Avon more determined to do as she pleased, which was usually inventing machines from bits of other things.

There was no real reason for Avon to accompany the delegation to Starlight and then back to Coruscant; her mother hadn’t sent for her and she had no official role on the journey, but Master Douglas, the marshal of the outpost, had asked to have Avon accompany them specifically because the Dalnan ambassador’s son was twelve, as well. He was hoping that the two would become friends and soften the Dalnans’ view of the Republic.

Vernestra was hoping so, too. Mostly because Avon needed a friend.

“Mistress Avon! You are late. If you do not get on board that ship this instant I will uncouple your linking hoses and then let’s see how well your scoot speeder runs.”

A pinkish-gold droid as tall as Vernestra stomped over to where they stood. J-6, Avon’s protocol droid, was half warden, half nanny, all attitude. She spoke like no protocol droid Vernestra had ever met, and she suspected that Avon had something of a hand in that.

Avon sighed heavily and pushed her unruly hair out of her face before walking over to her scoot speeder and righting it to climb on. “Well, looks like the jig is up. I got it, Jay-Six, no sabotage necessary. You coming, Vern? You don’t want to be late.”

Vernestra smiled and nodded. She was excited to see Starlight Beacon, even if it meant she would have to work extra hard to keep Avon out of trouble. “Let’s go.”

As they walked toward the boarding ramp for the Steady Wing, Vernestra stumbled and gasped. Avon gave her a sidelong glance. “Everything okay?”

Vernestra put a hand to her chest and looked over to where an Aqualish mechanic was tinkering with an access panel near the boarding ramp. He stared back at Vernestra with three unblinking eyes. His lower right eye was missing, and blue-tinted scar tissue occupied the space instead. There was nothing else about him that was remarkable; he wore the same orange coveralls as every other member of the docking station’s maintenance crew.

“I’m fine,” Vernestra said, finally, in answer to Avon’s query. Vernestra gave the Aqualish man a small smile, and he turned away without reaction, going back to whatever he was doing. Something about the man made Vernestra feel more alert than was necessary, a spiky sensation that she couldn’t explain. She was just nervous and excited about the mission to Starlight, since this was her first real Jedi mission and she didn’t want to mess it up. That was why she was fixating on random mechanics doing their jobs.

At least, that was what she told herself, even if she didn’t truly feel it.

Pushing the strange feeling aside, Vernestra accompanied Avon and J-6 onto the Steady Wing and tried to focus on making sure the young girl did not try to escape before departure. Vernestra had her hands full enough without seeing phantoms in every corner of the Force.
    From StarWars.com

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  22. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    I never read young jedi knights so I can't say.

23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    A Test of Courage has, by far, the scariest portrait of the Nihil going, and it's the kid's book.

Foreign32567 and AusStig like this.
  24. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    I’d say roughly the same level as Junior Jedi Knights. The junior reads in THR are “middle grade,” and while they can get dark, they brush the surface. Same with both YJK & JJK.
    YJK was the old EU’s attempt at Young Adult that didn’t reach the explicit and deep nature of current teen books.

Now, JJK and Galaxy of Fear were among my first Star Wars books, and I am enjoying these Middle Grade novels as much as the adult ones. Race to Crashpoint Tower confused me a bit, but as a whole the two have been continuous and added to the comprehensive story.

They are super quick reads with great art too. If you’re concerned about spending money on them, see if you can request them from your local library. If nothing else, they’re worth the time to read.

25. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Test of Courage has one of the best portrayals of someone struggling with the dark side since Stover's Revenge of the Sith.

Jedi Ben likes this.