main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books Comics The High Republic (aka "Project Luminous")

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Xammer, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Just read in the Insider that Michael Siglain says
    Dexter Jettster
    is in Phase 2.

Foreign32567 and Golbolco like this.
  2. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2016
    Whoa, I didn’t realize his species was that long-lived! Crazy cool to see more connections to other eras.

Dawud786 likes this.
  3. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    Lol just as long as there aren't any species that live as long as elves than I'm good. I'm enjoying the Rings of Power show but have to say it is a little weird to be watching a show that is supposed to take place thousands of years before the LotR movies yet a number of the characters from those movies are in the show.

4. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    On the one hand, Dexter having a more than three hundred years of adventuring (and learning things) seems suitable for his character. On the other, it opens a possibility that Pong Krell had been tormenting the galaxy with his presence for hundreds of years before Dogma put a stop to this.

5. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Perhaps we get to see Pong Krell before being driven over the edge.

6. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    IMO, he seems like a character that does not have a tragic backstory, but rather was always a jerkass.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  7. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Man, it feels like they are making every species long lived nowadays.

8. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    The more alien you look, the more long lived you are, i wonder when we get elves who lives thousands of years like in LOTR.

CernStormrunner likes this.
  9. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    We did have Ents... I mean Neti...

10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Where do we see them again?

11. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Neti showed up in a variety of places in Legends, probably most prominently as Ood Bnar from Tales of the Jedi and Dark Empire II. They haven't popped up in the High Republic, or really anywhere in canon yet (there is a canon Wookieepedia entry, but it's sourced to an FFG product and should be ignored), but the canonical Force-senstive "uneti tree" pays tribute to them.

AusStig and Fredrik Vallestrand like this.
  12. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    The animated shorts are returning for Phase II. Here's a new one, from 0:48 to 2:19:

13. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Long lived characters as a trope are why I had such issues with this being such a 'different' view of the SW Galaxy but only set about 200 years before the films. When the events of this series is in the living memory of a bunch of characters it stretches the integrity around the characters involved. By that I mean it doesn't feel as fresh if we have a bunch of familiar faces, and that was the entire intention of this series.

If you had the majority of the characters alive for this series dead or gone from living memory by the time of the films, you could understand this as a fresh and distinct view of the Galaxy, but when you blur the lines and the cast of characters it makes it almost pointless as trying to have it as a distinct era and may as well have it set 50 BBY.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
    AusStig and Golbolco like this.
  14. Golbolco

Jan 20, 2016
    I was planning on making a thread later today/tomorrow connected to this topic, but I’m curious about your last line: realistically, does anything change with Phase I of the High Republic if it’s moved closer to TPM? Instead of 200 years before, what about 50 years? The Galaxy is a big place, and there’s no reason for existing characters to have any more or less impact on the story if The project overall was closer to the film eras. I can’t think of anything big that would change, save for maybe including young Dooku.

15. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    What changes for me is the believability that the setting is so distinctly different from the Republic and state of the Galaxy as we know it. In terms of expansionism, exploration etc. It's not unique to this (after all ANH is only 19 years after ROTS) but leaning into the notion that the state of the Galaxy can shift in an extremely short amount of time saps some of the investment in events.

Golbolco likes this.
  16. Golbolco

Jan 20, 2016
    I guess I forgot that exploration is a big angle, given that it hasn't come up very seriously in most media save as backdrop and justification for Starlight Beacon. I agree, though, either that plot point would need to be altered or ditched to avoid stretching believability too much. Of course, some say that the 200 year timeline for exploring the Outer Rim is already too compressed.

Xander Vos likes this.
  17. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Living memory is.... Fickle.

I mean, people act like the legacy of dejure legal racism is dead and gone despite Jim Crow being within living memory, or the Civil Rights movement. Let alone for some people just like 2 generations ago slavery was literally within living memory and it was/is treated as ancient history in the US.

Just because a 900 year old teacher at Jedi school remembers Avar Kriss as the Great Disaster doesn't mean those events arent ancient history to Obi-Wan Kenobi or Qui-Gon Jinn.

Stang, The Clone Wars are in living memory in the GFFA and that whole war seems shrouded in history and myth by the time of the Galactic Civil War. The Jedi themselves are myths and legends because of how thorough the Empire was in erasing their legacy.

18. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Yeah.

I mean, the cold war practically felt like ancient history to me even though I was born before it ended (if still very very young)

Honestly, living a long time is just going to mean you see all the more change in your life. It is part of the reason why elves are so often depressed in fantasy.

Fredrik Vallestrand and Dawud786 like this.
  19. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    The particularly old, that can tell you about things that seem like ancient history, are like oracles from an ancient past. Yoda, Yarael Poof, Oppo Rancisis and whoever else hanging around that lived during the High Republic are going to be blowing minds of younglings in 31 ABY when/if talking about that stuff.

Most of the people that saw it are dead and gone. Legends. When that Hawkbat clan initiate has to interview Yaddle about her experience during the High Republic will be so awestruck at a piece of living ancient history telling them about the time Avar Kriss connected thousands of Jedi throughout the Galaxy through the Force to divert a container full of Tibanna gas from colliding with Hetzal's sun, preventing a supernova that would have wiped out all life in the system.

20. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    Your last paragraph is sort of the point of my issue. The silliness of the timeframe of the SW movies shouldn't be doubled down on.

I'll flip the premise: what specifically about the story requires it to be set within living memory? What does the High Republic era gain from its proximity to TPM?

21. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    That's fine, but I'm not talking about people's individual experiences, I'm talking about the Galaxy being virtually unexplored or a wild frontier on the Outer Rim mere generations before Naboo et al. are established members of the Republic. It flies in the face of a Republic that was around for a thousand generations.

22. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Funny, usually I see people arguing that Legends made a mistake in going for a literal thousand generations, since that is a time span far beyond normal human comprehension, and filling out such a time span makes the galaxy far too static technologically and socially.

Though in any case with the High Republic, the impression I get is more of "rediscovery" than "discovery" - something that works well in the face of the utter devastation wrought by the New Sith War of Legends. Note that while details are sketchy, the canon Sith War which happened in the same time period appears to be just as bad, if not worse since Coruscant and the Republic fell entirely rather than having a rump republic last throughout the conflict.
    (Something I didn't like about the Darth Bane books was how the Republic seemed to instantly turn into the PT era republic ten years after the end of the NSW, despite that conflict being portrayed as near apocalyptic everywhere else)

What gives me this impression? Well, some of the longer lived jedi have mentioned that the galaxy spent centuries just barely surviving and recovering before getting into the exploration we see now.

Another simple reason is that a lot of worlds the republic is "discovering" speak basic and have a mix of species from the core to the outer rim - I feel like if this was truly uncharted territories we would see mostly

Heck, even the Nihil who are presented and present themselves as the frontier pushing back seem to have deep ties to the republic: hidden bank accounts in the republic, spy networks spreading as far as the senate itself, and more than a few members having been born in the republic or at least being from species who hail from republic worlds.

Oh, and I just thought of another way the basic idea does work with legends - there seem to be a surprising amount of worlds whose histories describe them being discovered or at least joining the republic merely centuries ago rather than millennia, which seems hard to square with how little the Republic's borders have changed over time, but an extended recovery after the sith wars were worlds were rediscovered explains it nicely.

Dawud786 and StarWarsFan91 like this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Balls. The Panin trade for Monster of Temple Peak has been bumped to 20 November! :_|

MercenaryAce likes this.
  24. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    Yeah I don't get the impression at all that the Galaxy has been largely unexplored just a few centuries before the movies. But more a long the lines that the Galaxy basically had to rebuild and rediscover things after the Great Sith war of 1000 BBY. I'm sure when they go back several thousand years into the past there will be a widespread galactic government just like there was during the Clone Wars.

We need to remember while reading High Republic books that we are seeing the Galaxy through the viewpoint of the characters living during that time. For them all this will be new as they would be six plus centuries removed from that great war that almost destroyed civilization in the Galaxy

25. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Hopefully before the final war between ancient Sith vs Republic/Jedi, the Republic is not a copy of the Clone Wars Republic.

I suspect the Old Republic was smaller, even in peace times compared to the Galactic Republic of the HR and PT eras. I attribute that to the Sith/Mando threats preventing them from expanding to the size of the Galactic Republic.

I am also certain their capital wasn’t always on Corsucant. Thousands of years before they fell, the ancient Sith were able to hold onto Coruscant for some time and build a Sith shrine on it.

Anyways I’m glad we are seeing hints of a more dangerous Sith and more destructive war compared to all other canon wars.

If portrayed someday, it can become superior to Banes era in Legends.

MercenaryAce likes this.