main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books Comics The High Republic (aka "Project Luminous")

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Xammer, Apr 15, 2019.

1. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    Elzar Mann got a lot of development in the books Xander read. But he was the character that pretty much got his entire story told in the Del Rey novels. Most of the other characters you needed to read other material to get their complete story.

Them choosing to tell the story through several different outlets isn't a fault. Infact those that enjoy reading the various different kinds of material would often consider it a plus. Those that choose not to is their choice.

2. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    You can keep calling it a choice and wilfully ignore the sheer cost of doing so if you want. :)

3. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    I don't know what your financial situation is but getting the High Republic comic series wouldn't have been a huge additional cost. A few extra dollars a month. The High Republic ongoing and the three Del Rey novels would have covered the vast majority of the development for the main characters.

4. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    I'm not even talking specifically for myself though, just the rather tone deaf insistence that people should just go out and buy more content because if they aren't then they aren't 'doing it right' by not getting the full picture. Just doesn't really sit right. As Ben pointed out, particularly with the Cost of Living crisis all over the world now.

Anyway this is getting rather off track, the point was that the project's intent - having a diverse range of mediums in which to read - is also its big achilles heel as it becomes hard for people to keep up/keep track, or jump in halfway through and know where to start. I hope with this second Phase they address this somewhat and make it at least a little more contained with themes/events crossing over rather than characters necessarily.

5. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    There isn't anything wrong with not wanting to read everything. I don't have any issue with that at all. What I have said is that people that want to debate how good the character development in the series was probably should try to read as much as they can (especially when they are trying to debate with people who have read everything).

I wouldn't argue with you at all if you simply said that you didn't like how the material was released to the public (infact I would probably agree with you). But I'm not going to agree with your point of view that the characters were two dimensional and didn't receive proper development when I know you have only read about half as much as there is to read about many of these characters.

In any case it's probably better for us to just say agree to disagree at this point.

6. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    While I do love the High Republic, I do think their choice to spread character arcs and plot lines across different media and just take the attitude that everyone should consume all the various forms of media if they want a full story with a core group of characters who are developed to be worthy of criticism. Which is sad because early on in Phase 1, I appreciated that the books were able to stand alone and make sense independently.

The confusion experienced and lack of consistent character groups really was true at all age ranges except the picture books of the project in Phase 1 but in my opinion more egregious in the middle grade and YA.

Middle grade books open with a focus on Vernestra and Imri. Then we spend time with new character Ram and a character only familiar to comic readers for the second middle grade book. Then back to Vernestra and Imri for book three with Vernestra and Imri getting character and plot development in a YA book in between. A YA book that will be at too advanced a reading level for many middle grade readers so I guess they just have to wait a few years until they are older to read about what happens to Imri and Vernestra between the two middle grade books. I do think making all the middle grade books focused on Vernestra and Imri would have been a wiser choice that could have been easily accomplished by making Ireland’s YA book a middle grade one instead.

With the YA books, we are introduced to a fairly wide set of characters in Claudia Gray’s first book. Of that wide cast of characters, only Reath and Cohmac really remain as consistent characters in the second book with lots of other new characters introduced and Vernestra and Imri making an appearance from the middle grade books which many young adults are not going to want to read as it is too juvenile for them. Then book 3 Ram who would only be known from the adult or middle grade books plays a prominent role and most of the characters from previous books except Cohmac and Reath disappear from the narrative. So it is a lot of new characters appearing (some from other forms of media) and disappearing before their arcs can be fully developed.

It is a bit disjointed a way to tell a story across mediums. Personally, I do think a consistent set of characters should have been chosen and developed for each age range.

We can talk about the consumer choice but the target audience of a middle grade book is different than a YA book and a YA book from an adult book. Not everyone who reads middle grade books has the reading level to read YA much less adult books. And not everyone who reads adult or YA books has an interest in reading middle grade books or comics. I believe Phase 1 could have been constructed with more awareness of and sensitivity to that fact.

So, yes, I get that criticism.

Huncrweo, SWpants, Xander Vos and 3 others like this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Excellently put.

AusStig and devilinthedetails like this.
  8. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    A thought I had recently is, the High Republic is a new era, one they flesh out in all detail and all levels there can be galaxywide, but what if the true story this era is about to tell is yet untold and after this plethora of characters and settings, we get another High Republic storyline with a tight core cast from beginning to end telling the true story that all this is only backdrop for and all will cameo in it, but the new focal cast will be the missing throughline that is added later on thus.

Kinda like you got the SW OT era EU before you have the movies as a mainline through it! Like some Essential Guides made sense and connective tissue for disconnected early EU works into a cohesive connected storyline.

IF said mainline applied later on only involves Sith, who knows. But Acolyte or the upcoming game may be closer tied to such even if set at the eras end, rather than the Comic/Book-Verse they set up as Era-Opener. With the current Media of the era focussing on the Rim part of the stories and only lately drifting coreward with Corellia and Coruscant briefly, the rest of the galaxy may have lots of other stories running in paralell that we do not know yet and will later on only connect. Especially given the Phase 2 set up as a Prequel, what if Phase 3 will not only continue where Phase 1 left off but also re-tell some in paralell to it with a new point of view and knowledge from Phase 2 putting things in a very different light?

Golbolco likes this.
  9. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2016
    I had a random thought a while ago while comparing THR to NJO, being that they’re both “firsts” for major publishing initiatives in their own eras.

The thought was that NJO was a series masquerading as a setting, whereas THR is a setting masquerading as a series. While it’s advertised that you can read NJO’s hardcovers and get the full story, I don’t believe that’s really true and I think it’s reflected in how little later material revisited the period. It’s a really dense, 19-book story with few gaps in the narrative where new stories can be inserted unless they’re about new characters.

THR on the other hand, we’re being told that you must read everything to get the full picture… and I’m not really sure that’s true either! There’s so much new stuff and opportunities to build on for the future that to me, it feels more like the era is being built as a platform to draw in future storytellers—hence why most characters and events have only just been dabbled in.

So I agree with @ColeFardreamer, it does indeed seem like the lack of cohesion or through line might be by design.

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It's generally true that the big events which the subsequent few books respond to in NJO were the hardbacks. But this doesn't mean nothing happens in the paperbacks, as there tended to be significant developments.

In both the case of NJO and THR they wanted to say you didn't have to buy everything, when the material more pointed to the contrary. NJO was more cost effective with a book every couple of months.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
    Golbolco likes this.
  11. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I do think it would make more sense to have characters be specific to the particular age groups they are publishing for.

Then you can crossover comic characters into their respective reading levels from there. I'm not convinced that it even makes sense to have knighted most of the cast of THRA, for instance. That entire comic publishing level would seem to better align with middle grade than YA. Lula and Zeen crossed over into the second middle grade with Ram's debut, which made some sense. Then there seemed to have been a rapid aging of those characters that seemed to have started the series at around 13-14 to 16-17, and BAM their are knighted.

Aside from not thinking it makes any sense to elevate that many young Padawans knighthood at any stage, it makes even less sense given that Vernestra is a very rare exception as a knight at 16.

Similarly, Avar isn't even the star of the main comic series. She's a supporting character. The star is Keeve. Nothing was stopping them from including Avar more in the novels, and she deserves to be in that mix more. Instead, she's just someone Elzar pines over constantly while Stellan comes off as a third wheel in that friendship. The tension that developed between Stellan and Avar isn't particularly earned, because we don't actually get to see much of Avar. So it seems to come largely out of nowhere. Especially because the publishing of the final comic arc was delayed from the release of The Fallen Star.

The comic itself has weird skips, like there should have been more stories about the Drengir and the pursuit of the Nihil that got cut back. There's a lot of major story arcs in Phase 1 that feel like they were cut short.

12. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    An even better way of putting it. It's not just a financial choice for many but a literal reading ability barrier.

And this is what I was trying to get at with AAESIAT that despite him insisting I'm not entitled to discuss character development because I haven't read the comics - it seems there actually isn't that much character development in the comics for Avar and others? It just feels like because of the nature of the project and the skipping around mediums, no medium actually takes the time to breathe and develop the characters because they all assume someone else will do it.

13. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Another missing ingredient is the Fans, long waiting time between releases and fandebates about their favourite characters full of speculations earned the Legends EU a lot. Authors engaged in debates with fans, or listened in only, and without the fan discourse there would be no big Legends stars like Pellaeon and other sidecharacters that got recurring roles because of the fans, not some marketing plan.

How many characters these days are stereotypically designed to be fanfavourites before fans even know about them? For some it worked, others surprised the makers that fans loved them more than others they tried to throw at them repeteadly. There are twitter accounts that jump on a new character to impersonate in every new work kinda... more living with the shortlived hype rather than longstanding character devotion of fans grown on to characters. One can easily see which accounts are less about the love for SW or the characters and only pretend that by leeching on to some hype-names the makers promote to get clicks and likes. That is sad. (And especially so as the way Disney/LFL is ignoring Legends characters and their outspoken nonviolent fans who just want to celebrate their characters online and offline as they used to. Including with authors and officials at cons or online. But anybody involved with new stuff acts as if gospel is to promote the new and not talk about "Bruno" aka the forgotten child of Legends characters)

That is why I liked the High Republic Adventures cast more as you could see them grow, even if rushed till Knighting. Had they started the High Rep Era with a Young Adult line about the youth of Avar, Elzar and Stellan and then after it kicked off their adult time, fans would be attached way more to them and fear for their life.

In general that is why the younger characters worked better than the adults in the High Republic so far. Be that Bell Zettifar, Raeth Silas, Ram etc. or the IDW comic cast around Zeen and Lula. They had still some growing to do in their brief appearances and cameos and did so well more than the ever stereotypical adults around them.

Xander Vos likes this.
  14. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I will say, one of the strengths is that at every level there are Padawans to follow through Phase 1 and into Phase 3.

There's more Burry in the adult novels, but I like that he's such a central character for the toddler to kindergarten crowd in the picture books. It especially works because of gentle and kind he is to that one kid from the Legacy Run disaster in LOTJ.

Aside from Elzar, Bell is our main protagonist in the adult novels. YA has Reath. Mid grade had Vern(though a knight, she's of a similar age).

There's still opportunity to go back to doing Elzar, Avar and Stellan stories at all those levels. They just won't be about the Nihil. I'd love to eventually see that. Could be kind of like the old Jedi Apprentice books for their youngling and Padawan eras. Late apprenticeship to knighthood for adult novels.

Those would be side stories though, because the saga of this era revolves around the Nihil and the Ro family.

Jedi Ben and Xander Vos like this.
  15. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
  16. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    The Monster of Temple Peak TPB from Panini UK became available today. US folks can get it via Amazon (though Amazon's not the seller, so expect a shipping charge).

Jedi Ben likes this.
  17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Now that's weird as I got an email a short while ago that it had been bumped to 20 Nov. And this was from a UK seller!

Still, they do send stuff out ahead of official release dates - hopefully that happens here.

Edit - it's out in the UK too! Must have misread something. For UK posters after it, nab it here, currently at £10.17:
    https://www.booksetc.co.uk/books/view/-9781804910580

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
    The Positive Fan likes this.
  18. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018

MercenaryAce and Dawud786 like this.
  19. JediFett10

JediFett10 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 8, 2008
    Sorry, but can you please care to explain. I don’t get it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    The Mother's surname is the same as a young Jedi on Jedha introduced in the first issue of the phase 2 run of The High Republic comic.

JediFett10 likes this.
  21. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    Hope that they are sisters, a third evil mum is a little bit too much.

22. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    Path of Deceit gave strong indications that Elecia had the force to some degree. I thought the end of the book was going to outright say where she came from but obviously that will likely be something left until the end of the phase.

Wouldn't surprise me if the two end up being sisters.

Dawud786 and MercenaryAce like this.
  23. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Well, with a name like "the Mother" actually being a mother rather than a sister would make more sense, though honestly she doesn't really look old enough to have a daughter Oliviah's age, but I suppose comics can tricky about such things (and some people age really well).

24. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    I can see her being a "spiritual predecessor" of Ghirra Starros and Chancey Yarrow - charismatic women that think that they can use a member of the Ro family for their own benefit (and been wrong about it) - but still it seems to be too repetitive.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  25. JediFett10

JediFett10 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 8, 2008
    Thank you for clarifying that for me, much appreciated mate!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dawud786 likes this.