main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books Comics The High Republic (aka "Project Luminous")

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Xammer, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Pius Dea Crusader

Pius Dea Crusader Jedi Master

Nov 26, 2013
    There's something about the whole high republic project, maybe it's already been discussed, but seeing at the known locations of Dalna, Eiram, and Elphrona (and assuming that Haileap, Tiikae, and others are in the same region), it looks like most of the story is taken place in a relatively small region of space. With the exceptions being Out of the Shadows in Coruscant, and Midnight Horizon in Corellia. However, the events where directly related with that same small region of space.

For the stories themselves, I think it's great taken the time to really explore each environment and character, leading to Path of Deceit, which IMO is the best novel so far. But besides this, this means that a lot of The High Republic (the era, not the publishing project) it's still quite unknown. Even at the same time that the stories are covering, we are seeing only a fraction of the Galactic Frontier, which in itself is a really small fraction of the galaxy.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
  2. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Wait, where was their location revealed? I must have missed that.

Though in any case, it makes sense that the conflict in question is somewhat localized to avoid counting as a "full scale war" per ATOC.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
  3. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2016
    I know that it’s accurate to the era, but isn’t it a little contrived to avoid large scale warfare in a setting called “Star Wars?”

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    There's no scale given. Thus Star 1 has a punch-up with Star 2 = Star Wars

MercenaryAce and Golbolco like this.
  5. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    there was a galaxy map with some locations in the IDW Adventures

[​IMG]

And other recent maps like from Celebration 2022 exclusives (will be in print in the Timelines book only next year but online already scanned by fans availeable!) also had the latest planets placed.

https://numidianprime.wordpress.com/2021/09/14/the-atlas-of-the-high-republic/

[​IMG]

https://numidianprime.wordpress.com/2022/06/10/star-wars-timelines-galaxy-map-breakdown/

6. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Oh right, can't believe I forgot about those. Thanks.

Looking again, it doesn't seem that small an area. Much of the southern rim of the galaxy at least.

7. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Just a general question about this multimedia project: can you just read the main adult novels and the ongoing comic series, or are there important plot points in the other works?

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Depends on how you class it.

Characters from the Junior and YA books / comics do turn up in the adult novels. There's also an audio story to factor in.

There are comic minseries that run alongside the main comic series too.

Do you have to read those? No, but you might find the concept for each interesting.

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  9. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
  10. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    One thing I hope they do if they continue to work their way further into the past is they have some sort of connective tissue between each major conflict that happens and it isn't just random ideas that sound cool that really has little to nothing to do with any of the other major conflicts in universe.

In the real world each war generally has a cause and effect that leads to future wars. And when studying wars of history you can generally find out how each war led to the next.

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I wouldn't see that as the way to go, to assume that future wars must be inevitable. Only fictional stories are really that tidy.

12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Do we know who does the voiceover on these shorts? I like her voice, whoever it is.

wreath, TK-2814 and Ghost like this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
  14. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    I think that's the opposite of what he's suggesting. Instead of having random and unattached wars - which is very unrealistic - having seeds of conflicts leading into following wars is much more realistic. E.g. the seeds of the Rebellion are in the Separatist movement; the First Order is born out of the remnants of the Empire, etc.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  15. Senpezeco

Apr 27, 2014
  16. wreath

wreath Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 21, 2021
    i agree

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The Art of Star Wars: The High Republic: Volume 1 - The Light of the Jedi

If you've enjoyed the stories of Phase I, like the characters and are interested in how it all came about, this is the book for you. I've only flicked through the first two chapters and there's loads of info plus art in them.

The book itself is a big hardback, around double the size of a standard comic trade. For what it is, the RRP of £35 is reasonable. That I got for just under £21 is a steal.

I'll certainly be after the next two volumes now.

18. Senpezeco

Apr 27, 2014
  19. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    I bet the Path would have viewed the Vong invasion as payback for overusing the Force... here come the Force Voids!

20. Senpezeco

Apr 27, 2014
  21. Nom_Anor01

Nom_Anor01 Jedi Knight

Feb 22, 2015
    Has anyone gotten the Art of Star Wars: The High Republic? Is it the same size as the other "art of" books?

I've gotten the impression that it is somewhat taller. But I hope I'm wrong as I'd like everything to line up neatly.

Skickat från min SM-G991B via Tapatalk

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I don't have any others to compare it to but the HR art hardback is huge. It's a big, high quality volume.

23. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Expensive as well - Amazon UK wants £30 for it. So far I've held off.

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You need to break with the Empire, I got my copy for £20.47 from BooksEtc.

Although, for what you get, the £35 RRP isn't that unreasonable.

25. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    I'm not going to spend any money on High Republic source book material until the whole thing is finished. If we get it now the book will be out of date in just a few months.

Xander Vos likes this.