main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books Comics The High Republic (aka "Project Luminous")

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Xammer, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    No, that's not how it'll work.

Volume 1 covers all of Phase I. Therefore, yes there will be another volume, probably late next year, but Volume 2 for Phase II. Repeat for Volume 3 for Phase III.

2. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    And I will still just wait until they put the whole thing together in one book instead of having to buy three separate ones.

3. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Not happening! Volume 1 on its own is a big book.

If the other two are similar sizes, no way are you getting an omnibus 600+ page hardback, while retaining the page size and other production values, without an absurdly high +£100 price.

It'd also make for a heavy, unwieldy, hard to read volume too.

I get the cynicism, but Volume 1 is 230 big pages, it's not small.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
  4. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    That's fine. I'm not a big sourcebook guy anyways and I'm not big on having to buy three separate sourcebooks just to get one complete story.

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    If it's story you're after, it's not the book for you. These are for behind-the-scenes, how-was-this-made info. You've already got the Phase I story.

There is the upcoming Starlight Stories hardback, which'll be the Insider short stories.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
    Dawud786 likes this.
  6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If I get an Amazon UK GC for Christmas I might pick it up.

7. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Art books are bit different than a sourcebook though, aren't they? Isn't this more of a kind of making of, concept art and such like?

Jedi Ben likes this.
  8. gat-65b

gat-65b Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 13, 2022
    Just to add to the art book conversation, I think it's a good book if you're a fan of the material. Particularly liked the full page character images (which are very reminiscent of animation design sheets you may see). I concede I also picked it up on sale so might influence my view, but I think it compares favourably to other art books I've seen. Maybe a little less text than usual.

A couple of quibbles; lack of Edge of Balance material which I thought had really nice character designs. Also ,did not really need the real estate being taken up by some of the comic pages reproduced. I mean, they are nice enough but I have the comics so would have much preferred more rarely seen art. Given the choice, maybe instead have the limited edition novel covers or even variant comic covers (rather than interiors) which not as many fans may not have (or at least are harder for those outside the US to get their hands on)

Jedi Ben likes this.
  9. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I feel like there were a few things throughout Phase 1 that seemed like they were drawn from the Clone Wars micro series: high altitude Jedi drops, effortless Force blasts, Yoda moving huge ships, and a Jedi riding on the exterior of a starfighter in a air battle. I'd love to see a Tartakovsky High Republic micro series doing short vignettes depicting key scenes from Phase 1 and maybe adding some content... Like maybe more stuff with the Drengir.

10. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014

Ghost likes this.
  11. Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus Jedi Knight star 3

May 17, 2020
    Anyone else find it strange that the Drengir were introduced and then that whole storyline just kinda got resolved pretty quickly? I get the impression we won’t be seeing them again, though I guess we don’t know that for certain. It just makes me wonder if they had something else planned and then they changed their mind. Maybe the Drengir were going to fulfill a similar purpose in the story as the Nameless?

12. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    Well see them in phase III the progenitor was on starlight beacon when it was destroyed . The Progenitor probably survived that .

13. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2016
    So am I reading the room wrong, or in general is there less buzz about Phase II?

The places where I usually go for Star Wars discussion (including here) were rife with Phase I speculation and talk. It also seemed like there was more promotional material and references in other media at the time to build up the era.

We’re two novels into Phase II, and it seems like the era isn’t getting the same setup that the first era did, nor are people as enthusiastic about it. Why?

AusStig likes this.
  14. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    its banging on twitter ? the hype is there

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    In contrast to Phase I, Phase II hasn't the explosive start of LotJ. It has also had the books come out in the order of YA, Junior then adult book.

It's certainly a quieter opening and the stories work differently, but it is boosted by knowing its final destination in general terms. That does point to why they've ordered it this way.

Due to being more compact, with two main waves, it will continue to feel different to Phase I but that's not a bad thing.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
    AusStig and Golbolco like this.
  16. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
  17. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    What happened to Phase 1? Just stop at the destruction of Starlight (The Fallen Star) and Yoda showing up with some anonymous being (Midnight Horizon) with Marchion Ro pretty much telling the whole Galaxy, Republic and Jedi to kick rocks?

18. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
  19. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    I feel this too. I think Phase 1 had a BIG opening, this one doesn't. It also doesn't have any push from Phase 1, so it is a new start, with nothing BIG going for it.

StarWarsFan91 and Golbolco like this.
  20. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Agreed, no events like the scale of the "Great Disaster" and the conflict against the Nihil/Drengir.

I sense that Phase 2 is actually going to be more "Peaceful", less conflict then Phase 1 and the later Phase 3 (which will have the Nihil wiped out probably and nameless defeated for good). Focus more on it being a Golden Age of the Jedi/Republic then Phase 1, which was itself like an interruption to the normal proceedings of the era/Jedi.

Im ok with being a given an era with less conflict, but I can see why it would be less enticing for others.

After all, there is a good reason why the 3 year Clone Wars has the most stories/popularity for the Prequel era. Sure there are other gaps of time pre-clone wars that can (and currently not much has been) be explored, but not as exciting as that huge conflict.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
  21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The interesting thing about Phase II is there's no shortage of horror in it and it zeroes in to show that a local conflict is no less destructive. Both of those are important as SW can't be stuck on huge, galactic conflicts.

The idea that the Eiram-E'ronoh conflict starts off between them but grows to disrupt worlds beyond them. Phase II would have been planned before it, but it is a neat partial reflection of Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

JediFett10 likes this.
  22. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I really wish they did the High Republic in chronological order. Go back to the earliest time period and move forward from there.

AusStig likes this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Might get that after this long form epic, if it sells.

24. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Yeah I am not (yet) getting the point of going back in time for the middle part.

25. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    IMO, Phase II's setting already seems much more interesting and promising in terms of possible storylines than Phase I's one, with multiple Force-cults being active and interacting with each other and armed conflicts being rather common, inluding the one on Mon Cala. But Phase II's story is clearly very tightly focused on several key locations and the Nihil's origin.