main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books Comics The High Republic (aka "Project Luminous")

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Xammer, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
  2. gat-65b

gat-65b Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 13, 2022
    So, I've just cracked it open so far. Lots of text and reading so that is a plus. I was expecting more of a Visual Guide presentation but its more a retelling of what has happend in the High Republic story so far - Phase 1 and 2. There are indeed lots of illustrations and you get pictures of events in the story as well as character shots. I have to say the art is not bad (and is all original) but personally the illustrations are a softer style than I prefer (My idea would be someone like Trevas or Joe Corroney like the Essential Chronology). All the art is by a single artist and I like I said, not bad per se just not as detailed as I like.

Will have more to add as I read over it. Note there are also little addons throughout, kind of like the Handbook books that came out (like the Sith or Smuggler's handbook). I came across a bookmark type faux aged insert in Aurebesh and a lightsaber hilt shaped magnet (I think it is a magnet). I really have to read the text to render a judgement on how much insight it brings but at first glance I would say it is a nice summary/refresher on High Rebuplic storylines but not essential (ie. strikes me if you already have the whole book and comic collection so far it's actually LESS necessary). I think there are focus sections in the text but not, say, like a deep dive on the Republic navy or political structure or anything like that.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
    AusStig likes this.
  3. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    So it's kind of an in-universe history like Essential Chronology or Essential Guide to the Force?

AusStig likes this.
  4. gat-65b

Jun 13, 2022
    Yeah, that's probably the best way to describe it. The Essential Chronology is what I was reminded of as I skimmed through it (and probably the comparison is why I am a bit down on the art in comparison as New Essential Chronology had some absolutely phenomenal art pieces) As the story is being told, there are diversions to explain some of the background and Jedi Order structural features but mainly it is a re-telling of events from a Jedi author (he describes himself as an artist but the opening pretty much sets out the intent of the book: to tell of great events of the time).

Oh and correction on the magnet - it's actually an affixed thin sheet of carboard-ish material shaped like a lightsaber hilt. There's also a map included (oddly it folds out but the map on the inside of the fold out is one-half of the very same map on the reverse page and then the other quarter of the galaxy). The map is pretty bare and mainly outlines the area of the galaxy around Nihil space (ie. there are planets around that quadrant detailed however much of the rest of the map shows the regions of the galaxy but not the rest of the worlds further away from that southern slice; just blank space).

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
    Dawud786 likes this.
  5. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Thanks for the descriptions. Sounds like I will be better off buying a hard copy. The flare seems like it would be lost in ebook format. Like Secrets of the Jedi.

gat-65b likes this.
  6. gat-65b

Jun 13, 2022
    You're welcome. Note, as a clarification, there is a bit more structure to things then I first saw in that the first 30 pages or so are more of a background on the Jedi section; then we're on to the story part (with diversions in the text when focussing on a character or an aspect of the Jedi mission throughout the whole book). There is a nice write up on the Jed High Council (with a paragraph or two about each member) with accompanying group pictures broken down into 3-4 members at a time. Looking closer, I would say Phase 2 is definitely a briefer rundown of story beats than Phase 1 with a more general approach to what is going on.

Also, just in case I gave a more negative impression about the art, I think those who enjoy a more painterly style will be more enthusiastic. The character depictions are probably the big strength here and nicely done (vs the scenes which whiel nicely framed are just less detailed than how I prefer - think original Legends X-wing novel covers vs the new Essential Legends style, though not quite that minimal)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
    Dawud786 likes this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Could be worthwhile for those who don't want to read the YA and Junior novels.

Dawud786 likes this.
  8. gat-65b

Jun 13, 2022
    Good point. I'd agree. The YA and junior stuff seems to get equal billing, certainly (a few pictures of Venestra in there, anyway). Or a refresher on EVERYTHING heading into the next phase if someone forgot some plot points.

AusStig and Jedi Ben like this.
  9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    In some cases people won't even know the plot points. Running stories across different age range material is one of High Republic's unusual aspects.

gat-65b and devilinthedetails like this.
  10. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Hey Lit folks question for y'all: which High Republic projects include the Jedi Council members? I've been wanting to see Yoda, Yarael Poof, and Oppo Rancisis in this setting but unsure what stories they are in.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
  11. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    Oppo Rancisis has a small but important role in Tempest Runner, Yoda appears in a few stories that I can't list off the top of my head, but I think most prominently in the Phase I High Republic Adventures comics.

12. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Yoda appears in the YA novel Midnight Horizon.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
    AusStig and Darkslayer like this.
  13. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Thanks guys! Decided to take the whole plunge and start at the beginning - started listening to Light of the Jedi last night.

14. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    That’s cool, @Darkslayer!

I hope you enjoy the High Republic era and come to love it as much as I do:D

Light of the Jedi is a wonderful place to start your High Republic journey:cool:

Jedi Ben and Darkslayer like this.
  15. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Ya I remember them telling me at Celebration last year that they have "phases" kind of like Marvel, and that LOTJ was the start of Phase 1. Is that still the case?

16. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @Darkslayer Yes, I believe that the concept of the High Republic is to have three phases: Phase 1, Phase 2, and Phase 3.

Each of the Phases then have multiple "waves" that consist of adult novels, YA novels, middle grade books, children's picture books, and comics.

Light of the Jedi is the start of Phase 1 and of Wave 1 within Phase 1 so it is a perfect starting point for introducing the High Republic characters, events, and settings in my opinion!

Jedi Ben and Darkslayer like this.
  17. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    As someone who’s waiting for the whole thing to finish before diving in, I’ll be interested to see which order is preferred by the majority of fans, chronological or publication.

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Tends to be more complicated than that due to comics being in the mix and if you like reading those in trades. Plus plots running in parallel.

Someone will assemble an order for it.

19. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    What is first, chronologically?

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That's where it gets complicated!

Darkslayer likes this.
  21. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    Path of Deceit. A young adult novel set ~150 years before Light of the Jedi.

22. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I'm sure @Sinrebirth has it all figured out via the One Canon :p

Jedi Ben likes this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yep but I'm not sure how well that works for someone coming into this cold.

24. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    It doesn’t, tbh.

But then again, if you’ve not read the format before at least it’s not repeating the plot for you, it’s the first time you’ve seen it.

One Canon-wise it’s very inoffensive.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  25. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I don’t really read comics. Are those necessary to follow the story of the novels? I’ve read and enjoyed comics, certainly, but the novel rabbit hole is deep enough. Not sure I wanna go down another one. :p

Last edited: Apr 1, 2023