main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books Comics The High Republic (aka "Project Luminous")

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Xammer, Apr 15, 2019.

1. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    The reason in 2 words: Baby Chewie

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

2. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    I don't hate this as a concept rather than the Legend's 3 or 4 Sith Wars.

Just have one big Sith War around 1000 BBY ending with Bane creating the Rule of Two.

3. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2016
    I’ve argued this before: the Legends timeline from 4000-1000bby can easily be compressed into the centuries preceding Bane.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    That's what you think, is it?

Xander Vos likes this.
  5. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    This should be referenced in a High Republic work as well as when exactly the High Republic began. Splitting the 1000yr Republic era into 3 sections.

Someday I would like to see an early Republic struggling in a reconstruction era. Scars from the wars against Sith and Mandos still apparent. Coruscant still feeling the wars effect. Maybe still have some old Jedi still alive who were veterans of the last war against the Sith, and how they now coexist with a generation that never experienced large scale war.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    darklordoftech and Golbolco like this.
  6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Chewie was 200 during the OT wasn't he?
    The High Republic is supposed to take place 200 years before TPM, right?
    That's a difference of 30 years.
    The era could last that long but Chewie wouldn't play a prominent role for a couple more decades after that.

rocknroll41 likes this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    thank you, I knew the name sounded somewhat Star Wars-ian familiar! Never played KOTOR 2 but a "Darth Nilhus" fan got a lot of millage on the Howard Stern show.

rocknroll41 likes this.
  8. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    YOU would be relevant only if you were the REAL wedge and not some imposter :mad:

You make a very good point though

9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Already sussed out the ending, the High Republic Heroes are present at the birth of the New Hope: Chewbacca the Wookiee. One of the Jedi is spending time in secret doodling new names for his secret Sith monkier and lands on "Darth... Plagueis!"

10. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    It all comes back to Kenobi's "For over a thousand generations" comment which seems to align with the Republic existing meaning it existed for roughly 25,000 years.

Xammer, Golbolco and rocknroll41 like this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I actually like the 200 years setting because we can get some genuine connections to the saga time period but not enough that it'll overpower it and be too box checking prequel-y. But Maz and Yoda are around, I would be okay if Yoda was a Jedi Master at large as opposed to being stuck in the council chamber the whole time. Maybe he's one of those Texas Ranger Jedi? Although it is possible when the disaster hits he ends up stranded somewhere. I really do want to see who the two Sith are and what they are up to at this time, there can be a whole arc of someone turning to the Sith without the Jedi knowing, and hopefully it eventually leads to Plagieus by the end. but I think it's a way to do Old Republic without actually stepping on what is probably really incredibly likely an old republic film series being worked on.

I actually totally forgot how old Jabba was supposed to be was this reconfirmed in canon?

12. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I definitely believe the Sith Wars need to be greatly condensed from their Legends counterparts.
    They can still be an ancient enemy of the Jedi without becoming the bad guy of the week.

The New Canon seems to be working off the assumption that Kenobi's comment was a greatly condensed version, in fact referring to multiple series of republics with the one from the prequels just being the most recent.
    Hence why we have them referring to "The Old Republic" in TCW, and Palpatines "Thousand Years" line in AOTC.

Xammer and rocknroll41 like this.
  13. Wrinty

Wrinty Jedi Master star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    i think it's pretty clear that jedi are wearing much more elaborate dress (especially the temple attire) than prequel era jedi. and the blurbs suggest the jedi have way more freedom to do what's "right" in this era than in the prequels.

14. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    Congratulations, you genuinely just made me more excited about this. Those are all fantastic points.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. El_Machete12

El_Machete12 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    Loving the look of the Jedi. Their attire still feels Jedi-like, but varied and of an age where the Jedi were at their peak. The diversity in not just the humans but also aliens is nice to see.

I'm curious where the story will go. It sounds like they are doing this in phases, so if it's like the similar MCU model I'm guessing the various comics and novels will have their own standalone characters and plots, but then combines and intersects at the end of the phase.

Love the Ian and Doug concept art, and their involvement already elevates the visuals. I totally see this era already as having taken place 200 years before Phantom Menace. I also like the idea of the main characters attempting to tame the frontier. Obviously not all the outer rim will be untamed, but I'm sure there will be exciting new (and maybe familiar) planets that will be explored.

Golbolco likes this.
  16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I can’t wait to learn more about the Nihil, and how they apparently end hysperspace travel and take the Force away from Jedi.

I don’t know why they are being called pirates.

Or why they are called too similar to Mandalorians. Just look at their look: they are diverse with many species. No uniform look. No masks. And there’s a this stuff with hyperspace and the Force.

It’s great to have a more decentralized villain... those are much more difficult to beat. No space station to blow up to solve everything. No overlord to kill to solve everything. No capital to conquer to solve everything. No one government to overthrow to solve everything. Actually problem-solving.

The brainstorming behind this reminds me of the NJO.

17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I just want to know where Yoda is. I mean, he could just be sitting on the council as Grand Master but that's not the most interesting place to start him at if he's just Jedi Council Yoda Grand Master again. There's a couple of options, he's missing/displaced at the disaster. He should already be on the council although there are a few outs, like he's pulling a Qui-Gon and is a bit too rebellious to be on the council, it's his personal choice to not be on there, he was already on the council and left for ____ reasons. There's also that Dark Yoda we saw in TCW "Yoda doesn't want to play with me anymore!" which could be telling.

18. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Because they've been described in official announcement media as "space Vikings" who plunder ("you can't take it with you, but we can take it from you") and "a band of anarchistic marauders"? Pretty common for people to use 'pirate' synonymously with marauder- and raider-types.

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Vikings and Marauders are not even close to the same thing as pirates.

20. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm going to assume Yoda doesn't play a big part in these books because the Jedi will get blocked off from the Republic. I'm sure a Jedi will mention Yoda and how wise he is or something. He'll probably show up eventually.

21. TheChosenAlpha

TheChosenAlpha Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 15, 2020
    Wow I've never seen this before, now that I have it will forever be considered canon in my head.

I AM DARTH NIHILUS!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    I'm going to remain neutral until I see more, but I do like some of the direction they're going for, like the new bad guys at a glance seeming to be much more rough and tumble than the clean and shiny Empire/First Order, as well as the general look of the Jedi and those space stations. However, 'Jedi of the Round Table' is a little bit too on the nose--and I do hope at least we spare any massive lightsaber fights with Sith to something set to a KOTOR-y era.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  23. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Bring in Attichitcuk, Itchy, Chewie's dad. Maybe unsettle viewers by having Maz refer to Itchy as her "boyfriend" centuries before she does the same to Chewie.

Voltron64, Golbolco and WMIRTUTSF like this.
  24. TheChosenAlpha

TheChosenAlpha Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 15, 2020
    Anybody else reminded of Enfys Nest when you see the Nihil???

son_of_skywalker03 likes this.
  25. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    And when Maz catches Itchy using the Mind Evaporator, she dumps him.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.