main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books Comics The High Republic (aka "Project Luminous")

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Xammer, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Clearly you never read Enemy Lines 1....

2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    *watches along*

*ventriloquist’s to add*

“And Star by Star... and Traitor... ans The Unifying Force.”

3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Sig checks out.

4. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Is this purely driven by novels and comics?

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    All info released so far says yes.

Which is a damn shame given how good Dooku: Jedi Lost was.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  6. Luna2112

Luna2112 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 22, 2016
    Currently yes, though in the reveal they said the books and comics would be used as "incubators". I'm guessing they're using them to grow and test the waters for the era, I could see a video game and/or Disney Plus series coming later on down the road.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Don't really like the incubator idea - once a larger profile medium is brought in, like TV or film, there's a big danger it takes over - which is the story of the last few years.

It shouldn't be impossible to coordinate across the different mediums, but the past story really has been of the higher profile one not wanting to work with the lower profile one and management have not intervened when they should have.

revan772 likes this.
  8. K2771991

K2771991 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 21, 2019
    I did'nt know the Gungan Grand Army was deployed on the Western Front...

And the Legacy Era. And Tales of the Jedi. And Before the Republic...:p

I don't see why this would be such an issue - audio books generally fall under the unbrella of books anyway so those are still perfectly possible if the novels sell well enough.

And who knows, if this goes on long enough and is sucessful enough we could get more then just novels and comics; the future is always in motion, you know:yoda:

We don't actually know when Attichitcuk was born in canon - though he would almost certianly be around becuse we do know Chewie was born in 200 BBY.;)[face_peace]

But your all forgetting about the most importent charecter in Star Wars who could show up...

[​IMG]
    Come on everyone, you know you want him. Don't lie to yourselves...

Jabba is love, Jabba is life...

Given when the books are said to take place, and without changing anything from Legends, it would more likely for the young apprentice to be Tenebrous's future master, rather then Tenebrous himself.

Young Yoda chillin' out and getting high with Maz Kanata

[​IMG]
    Whoa...some good ****, that is! Hit me up agian, you will...

This "incubator" thing does'nt nesseserly mean movies (I doubt this will perform well enough to warrent a feature film) and Rebels and the Mandalorian have both done a very good job not taking over anything and working with what already exists (the ST did as well, until TROS came in, and even then the things it conflicted with were, thankfully, very minor and easy to rationalize) - the biggest conflict we've gotten so far is actually from a none-film work overruling the films, not the other way around.

9. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    The additional licensees that were announced (Titan Comics, VIZ Media, Abrams Books, becker&mayer!, DK, Insight Editions) may hint at future reference and art books.

Getting ahead of myself here, but wouldn't it be cute to get more Galaxy of Adventures and Fun Facts animated shorts on this era and its characters? I hope those make a return.

Dawud786 likes this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I doubt they'll be a movie or TV series set in the High Republic, but I really expect a movie or TV show to drop a reference to it (so far the TV shows had had more lit references than the movies, unless we get Jake Kassadan on a feature script cuz he Star Wars nerds pretty hard). videogame is a 50/50 shot considering how long those take. (I remember reading way back when that Bioware was offered either an Episode II game or an Old Republic game and they went with Old Republic cuz they had more story/creative freedom)

Anyway it depends on how long form the story needs to take and how long it goes but Plageuis and/or his Master seem likely and maybe even if they push it 100 years or so more we can see him recruiting Palpatine.

Voltron64 likes this.
  11. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Galaxy of Adventures is returning this year, as confirmed by Insider, and is meant to be focusing on the sequel era. Hopefully it'll be expanded to include more than just the films.

Senpezeco likes this.
  12. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    That counts (no pun intended lol) as a book. There could well be a HR audio drama of the same type in the works.

K2771991 likes this.
  13. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    The era seems ripe for an MMO, but there's no way they do that and totally steal what thunder SWTOR still has.

That said, High Republic would be a good space for an MMO that works across platforms, rather than be limited to pc.

It's a shame they haven't just grandfathered in that entire era.

IG: @jedisufism

Hopeless, BigAl6ft6 and K2771991 like this.
  14. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    A proper rpg video game like baldurs gate or kotor, yes maybe. An mmorpg no absolutely not.
    SWToR is a blight on Legends' Old Republic era.

revan772 and Xammer like this.
  15. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Eh, TOR's not that bad - IMO it's a perfectly servicable singleplayer game with a more then decent storyline(s) that just has the unfortune to be wrapped inside an MMO like a videogame turducken.

But to each their own[face_dunno]

16. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    Not sure why Dooku Jedi Lost would be excluded from "novels". We certainly dont distinguish between audiobooks and print books in that way.

17. Wrinty

Wrinty Jedi Master star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    Surprisingly, the literature section wants this to be more than comics and novels as if it's necessary.:confused:

Riv_Shiel and Golbolco like this.
  18. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    I may be missing the context here but as far as I'm aware "novels" are by definition generally written in prose, and Dooku: Jedi Lost is an audiodrama/script. I definitely wouldn't classify it as a novel.

Jedi Ben and Daneira like this.
  19. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    In Legends, 200 BBY is when Tenebrous’s master made the Jedi aware of the Dark Side by “opening a “rend” in The Force”. I’d love a Plagueis prequel set during this time.

Jabba was 400 years old in 200 BBY.

I wonder what the Galactic Senate is like, who’s Chancellor, what’s going on on Tatooine, Naboo, Alderaan, etc.

20. K2771991

Dec 21, 2019
    Meanwhile peaple in threads over in the film section are wanting comics and books...

...oh crap. Guys, I don't want to cuase a panic in here but I think we might have somehow ended up in a mirror reality...

Well, it's a senate, so I'd say it's figured it's stuck up with gridlock and filled with old, out of touch (mostly white) men who are far to concerned with what their doners want and far too little concerned with what their constituents want:p

Currently it's Chancellor Skroob, but he's not up for re-election this year and the leading contenders to replace him are Richard Nixon's head in a jar, Abradolf Lincler, Robert Kinsey possessed by a Goa'uld and Rassilon.

Decision 200 BBY

21. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Is the Goa'uld Baal?

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, you don't? Well, that opens an interesting door then.... Not that you'll give anything away.... ;)

23. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Nihil Looter Shooter.

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The audiobooks / books point has gotten my attention. Would not have seen the two as the same as I go by:

Novel - text

Audio - Full cast production + music + sound effects

And each have their unique aspects that can't be replicated in other mediums. But I'm really not fussy about classification if it means there might be more in the pipeline !

Sinrebirth likes this.
  25. DarthVigo

DarthVigo Jedi Youngling

Nov 3, 2019
    I'll try this! Looks interesting.:yoda: