main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books Comics The High Republic (aka "Project Luminous")

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Xammer, Apr 15, 2019.

1. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Found this on youtube

I
    They might be saving the "Dawn of the High Republic" period for later stories. Once we are given the Great Disaster period, and stories setting up that event and also set afterwards, I think we will see the 1st generation that experienced the change from the "Not HR era" to the "HR era".

The era prior to the High Republic wasn't as "High/Good" for some reasons we yet to know.

We could see another darkish period for the Republic, which does make sense. For a 1000 year government, the Late Republic/Clone Wars era should not be the only dark era for this Republic (though still be kept to the worst Galactic Republic era).

Maybe the era prior to the High Republic suffered issues such as Republic corruption, stagnation (Republic becoming more isolated over time, less and less growth), economic issues, crime rise in the galaxy. Changes were made to put the Republic back on track and said changes lead to the High Republic.

2. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    The semi ok Republic.

Havoc123 and Riv_Shiel like this.
  3. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Middle Republic?

Sounds pretty dumb.

I can’t think of a really good name for the era prior. Maybe Stagnation Era?

Though the writers might already have a name for it and might get named dropped in HR content. Similar to how HR era was referenced in Dooku Jedi Lost

4. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    They need to do an anthology series similar to AHS called "The Old Republic" and each season could be a period of time dealing with a particular moment in the Republic's history. They could even have a season set during the post New Sith Wars era where Tarsus Valorum is elected Supreme Chancellor and they have to rebuild the Republic after its Reformed.

5. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    I wait for the day people realize there is no High Republic and it was all a big marketing and propaganda sham by the Chancellor to get the government out of bad rep and cover up the true underlying currents of corruption, high crime and so on by not only funding exploration and media coverage of it marketing a new era but also to deflect from inner political changes and more and more problematic laws passing nearly unnoticed by the public as their focus lay elsewhere...

Pity the poor chancellor whose deflection campaign actually stirred up real trouble leading to a great disaster and waking up a sleeping enemy out there. Propaganda turned real, he now had to make it work and send in the Jedi to sort his mess before the public would find out how it really started. But as obviously not all Jedi would stay on the light side... (dark Jedi / Lost Twenty shenangians?) trouble increased and hit home hard.

It's fun if the Sith are not the conspiracy in the shadows for a change but the "Republic Truthers" only trying to uncover the Republics agenda and problems instead gaining support from those seeing the true face of the Republic and wanting change. I bet many gffa historians even trying to tell the real history of the galaxy would feel like that being forced to history revision as to not have people learn about the Sith or seek them out anymore. Something that would backfire later for sure.

6. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    30 minutes till the virtual comic con panel

7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
  8. PimpBacca

Oct 4, 2015
    Anything of note?

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It's still going on.

PimpBacca likes this.
  10. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Here's a panel write-up/summary from Reddit user IllusiveManJr:
    Expecting some character reveals, more tidbits about the era, and a bit more info about the stories. Nothing too crazy.

If COVID hadn't delayed things, the High Republic imprint would've kicked off back in August so this panel to build up hype is understandable. I'll be editing this comment with any new info they tell us once the panel is live.

PANEL EDITS

• It has begun!
    • The Great Disaster talked about again. The Republic Renaissance is interrupted by the Legacy Run's pieces scattering across various systems. The Jedi answer the call for help.
    • Daniel José Older talks about Yoda's role in the young audiences comic series, High Republic Adventures. He says that Yoda and the Padawans he's teaching are called to help with the Great Disaster (so same as the solicit for the first issue).
    • Ireland talks about Rwoh being one of the youngest Jedi Knights. The weight of being a hero to the Republic will be palpable. And wants to help other Padawans succeed.
    • Claudia Gray says Reath and the Knights he's traveling with are stuck in a place with its own mysteries.
    • Daniel José Older talks about his comic again, a "chunk" from the Great Disaster is about to fall on a planet and the Padawans need to help.
    • Cavan Scott talks about his Marvel comic series. He says Keeve Trennis never expected to get caught up with being assigned on the Starlight Beacon. She's now amongst some of the prominent Jedi of the era.
    • A focus of the High Republic is how various Jedi perceives the Force differently. Once again, how Avar Kriss hears the Force as music. Yoda sees it as everything tied together. Burryaga sees it as a forest. Rwoh sees the Force as all these rivers flowing into the sea. Keeve sees the Force as a vast tapestry encompassing the galaxy. Lula (sp?) as a Padawan sees the Force as a mountain.
    • Claudia Gray says Reath isn't that strong in the Force. He sees the Force as a spiderweb because it is difficult for him to "find" the Force.
    • Charles Soule reminds us that Jedi have various ways to interpret the Force, but to remember that it is everything.
    • Michael Siglain, Creative Director of Lucasfilm Publishing, reminds us that the Great Disaster is just the beginning of this project.
    • Siglain says Jeod from Into the Dark is "one to watch" for non-Force Sensitive characters. Gray says she loves Leox Josley (sp?) is her favorite non-Force Sensitive. He's the pilot in the novel.
    • Cavan Scott says the Jedi twin characters in his comic series finish each other's sentences and are very close.
    • Charles Soule had fun introducing a pet into his story.
    • Justina Ireland talks about how she grew up reading the expanded universe. And balancing the past with creating the future.
    • Lightsaber time! Charles Soule talks about Burryaga's giant lightsaber (there's a joke there somewhere). It's a two handed saber made from materials meaningful to him.
    • Justina says Rwoh's lightsaber has a special modification. You have to read the book to find out.
    • Cavan Scott talks about Keeve's saber. She made two sabers that can join together.
    • Claudia Gray talks about Reath not liking to use his lighstaber. He uses combat as an absolute last resort.
    • Yoda uses his saber in High Republic Adventures. This is an adventurous Yoda, not quite "old" yet.
    • Michael Siglain says gold sabers in High Republic have no real significance. At most it represents the Golden Age for the Republic. It's more about having variety in saber colors and design.
    • There's a High Republic tease in a book recently released that no one has picked up on.
    • PHASE TWO Michael Siglain says Cavan Scott will be writing the next adult novel. Justina Ireland will be writing the YA novel. Daniel José Older will be writing the junior novel. Insider is getting short stories again starting in December, with a High Republic short story by Charles Soule.

PimpBacca likes this.
  11. PimpBacca

Oct 4, 2015
    Interesting that Cavan Scott is doing the next adult novel, I wonder about f this means he will move on from the comic.

edit

sounds like he has already done it.

second edit

my moneys on Claudia Gray doing the next audio drama.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    darthcaedus1138 and Jedi Ben like this.
  12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I like that it's a fun twist on rotating authors- instead of rotating them between stories they're rotated between mediums. Let's each author have fun telling stories of different lengths and not being beholden to always churning out full novels, or always churning out comic scripts.

13. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    The book says:
    "C.300-C.100 BSW4
    Jedi glory
    The High Republic and the Jedi enjoy an era of heroism"

"High Republic
    An era of relative prosperity and expansion of the Galactic Republic at the height of the Jedi Order, approximately 200 years before the Clone Wars."

14. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    sounds epic to me...

15. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I hope we get to see a Jedi council meeting at some point.
    The only character we know for sure is on it in this time frame is Yoda.

Yaddle is also alive, and around 300 years of age, given their odd physiology I expect her to be a knight at most.
    Oppo Rancisis would be an infant.
    Tera Sinube probably hasn't been born yet.

This leaves essentially 11 of the 12 seats being held by unknown characters.

A lot of room to explore.[face_thinking]

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I like the sound of Scott doing the next novel, especially after his work on Dooku: Jedi Lost.

Was an audio drama confirmed or is just hoped for?

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  17. PimpBacca

Oct 4, 2015
  18. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.starwars.com/news/inside-star-wars-the-high-republic-meet-the-padawans
    In an exclusive series, StarWars.com is pulling back the curtain on Star Wars: The High Republic, a publishing epic set centuries prior to the events of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, with insights from creators, new details, and never-before-seen concept art. Arriving January 2021, the story will be explored through multiple voices and span adult and young adult novels, children’s books, and comics from a variety of publishers. In this installment, StarWars.com gets a first look at some of the starring Padawan learners.

Lucasfilm’s multi-platform epic Star Wars: The High Republic will turn back the clock to the golden age of the Jedi; that means, of course, not just stories about fully-trained Jedi Knights, but their apprentices, as well. And just like any student body in our galaxy, no two Padawans will be alike.

“The High Republic Padawans really run the gamut in terms of skill, devotion, and personality,” says Lucasfilm Publishing executive editor Jennifer Heddle. “Some are reluctant to seek out adventure while some are perhaps a little too eager; some are extremely talented in the Force while others maybe have to work a little bit harder. We wanted to showcase a wide range of young people in the hopes every reader can find someone they relate to.”

Indeed, not only does the High Republic era feature a diverse group of Jedi learners, but as several of The High Republic’s creators tell StarWars.com, some Padawans have it easier than others.

“Bell Zettifar is apprenticed to the legendary Loden Greatstorm, and he hopes he survives the experience,” says Light of the Jedi author Charles Soule. “He and his master are currently stationed at a Jedi Outpost on the ore-world of Elphrona, deep in the Outer Rim, where they work to keep the peace and spread the light.” Though the conditions are harsh, and Bell spends most of his time training, the Jedi-to-be finds enjoyment wandering the iron hills of the planet with a charhound named Ember. Light of the Jedi features another Padawan, however, who trains under much different circumstances.

“Burryaga is one of the few Wookiees to travel from the lush forests of Kashyyyk to study in the ornate halls of the Jedi Temple on Coruscant,” says Soule. “While he is skilled with his two-handed lightsaber, it is Burryaga’s natural, effortless ability to sense the emotions of others that sets him apart from other members of the Order.” The Wookiee studies under Jedi Master Nib Assek, who learned Shryiiwook in order to more properly educate her student in the ways of the Force. Burryaga is gifted — but in any school, there’s always a golden child.

In The High Republic Adventures all-ages comic from IDW Publishing, readers will meet Lula Talisola, who “is all about the Jedi Order,” according to writer Daniel José Older. “She loves it, can hardly wait to get Knighted, and wants to be the best Jedi that ever was. Besides being amazing and top of her class with a lightsaber, she’s loyal and compassionate and looks out for her two best friends, Farzala and Qort. Especially when they’re causing mischief.” Finally, one Padawan will get a harsh dose of reality.

Claudia Gray’s young adult novel Into the Dark features Reath Silas, a Jedi apprentice who will see what the galaxy is really like. “Reath’s had a somewhat privileged apprenticeship because his master, Jora Malli, is a member of the Jedi Council. That means he’s spent a lot more time on Coruscant, in elevated diplomatic meetings, and that kind of thing — so the frontier is going to be a huge transition for him,” Gray says. “Reath’s learning what he’s really made of.”

Get a first look at these Star Wars: The High Republic Padawans below.

[​IMG]

Burryaga

[​IMG]

Reath Silas

[​IMG]

Lula Talisola

[​IMG]

Bell Zettifar

19. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    Sauron_18 likes this.
  20. Huncrweo

Huncrweo Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 3, 2020
    I love Burryaga's lightsaber.

Jedi Ben and Ghost like this.
  21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Now that you mention, that is quite a saber.

22. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    That padawan art looks a lot like @Mazzic's handiwork but I can't find any credit for it.

23. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I just want to know the name of the dog?

24. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    "Though the conditions are harsh, and Bell spends most of his time training, the Jedi-to-be finds enjoyment wandering the iron hills of the planet with a charhound named Ember." I have Pokémon brain and will probably keep calling it a Houndour or Houndoom, though.

Another critter:

25. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    thank you

I saw the bat creatures before, but they are super cute, I have a couple bats that have chosen my attic window screen, the place in between the screen and window, as a place to hibernate this winter, they are so cool.

yeah I think bats are awesome

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020