main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books Comics The High Republic (aka "Project Luminous")

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Xammer, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Because people like you routinely post leaks here without any forewarning in your posts. [face_plain] We're asking for a courtesy heads-up on certain kinds of posts and/or simply not posting that kind of stuff in this thread in the first place. Not about stopping the rumor mill from churning out its product somewhere else. Go hog wild posting on the relevant subreddit or wherever but try to contain yourself here and be considerate of others who are more spoiler-averse.

2. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    I bought this book a few weeks ago but haven’t gotten to it. I’m excited to read about the Nihil.

Quick question to anyone who has the audiobook: Is Marchion Ro’s first name really pronounced “Martian”? That’s how I read it.

And it kind of reminds me of a headcanon bit I entertain now and then about Lucas basing part of the history of the first Sith on A Princess of Mars. That’s unrelated to this topic, though, although I do still think of the Nihil as being based on those original ideas of the Sith as a pirate clan. But I’m guessing they’re totally different in the final product.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  3. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    I thought it would be fine as its stuff thats from the high republic episode of disney insider on disney plus. people just decivered what was on the concept art that they showed

AusStig likes this.
  4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    In which case a bit more info would have helped as seeing the headline of 'insane spoilers', I stopped there. But I also think this demonstrates the need for a spoiler thread. Especially with the wider internet hell-bent on spoiling material that is months away from publication.

AusStig likes this.
  5. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean i'm not against a spoiler thread, i'm surprised we don't have one in the first place...This is how 21st Century Geek Culture works, and we gotta adapt to the times here.

I...Think so.

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, since you'll be one of the frequent posters in it, why don't you kick the spoiler thread off Jid?

7. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Eh....Sure....Lets see where it goes.

@Jedi Ben

So did you read the book or listen to it? Because I listened to it and while i liked it...Found it was a bit of a slog at first...and I have another book in my audible that was way easier to get through.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2021
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  8. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Marc Thompson pronounces it "Marshy-on" in the audiobook but Charles Soule said he pronounces it "Marky-on." Who knows which one they're gonna stick with, but either way it's not Martian.

The thing about a spoiler thread is that I would feel comfortable reading anything in there because I'm completely up to date with High Republic releases, and if the spoiler tag isn't specifically labeled as a spoiler for a book that's not coming out for six months, I would definitely click on it. It would have to solely be a reddit link dump thread for me not to read it.

Dawud786, Darth Corydon and AusStig like this.
  9. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010

10. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

The book is good but I will say I had a bit of a hard time listening through it...Sometimes felt like a bit of a slog and I still don't really know anyones name.

I think I'm more of a small scale character driven kinda person with my Star Wars stories than these big bohemous that are a lot of lore but not a lot of character work.

11. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    @Daneira Interesting! Mar-KEY-on Ro sounds like Marquis Monroe, which makes me think of the Monroe doctrine, the American policy opposing European colonialism in the Americas, which is oddly fitting. But now I feel like I’m reading too much into it.

I like the pronunciation, though! Soule said his pronunciation is what the rest of the Luminous team also uses. And I do like it more.

Dream-Thinker likes this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999

13. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    Charles prounuces it differently then the audiobook

14. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

There's gonna be a High Republic show

whostheBossk and Merric like this.
  15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Read it.

16. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Gotcha. I listened to it myself. Can’t read to save my life anymore

it was fun...but it was a bit hard to get through and I can’t remember really any of the characters that well apart from a few things they did and the Nihl leader

Trip likes this.
  17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I have to admit to being sceptical of audiobooks, full cast audio productions designed with the medium I'm far more fascinated by.

Also, wouldn't have nabbed the audiobook early - that release date is locked.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  18. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Huh. I've been reading it as "March-EYE-on," which I think works very well with his title.

I started listening to the LOTJ audiobook after reading the novel(in print), just because I want more of this era than I'm currently getting.

Given the greater prevalence of saber colors other than green and blue, I kind of wish they had brought back the Guardian, Consular and Sentinel classes. I dont know how I would conceive of that working with say, a Sentinel having a Consular Padawan, but I would be interested in seeing that sort of thing. Especially in light of the emphasis of each Jedi's unique relationship with the Force and innate skills.

IG: @jedisufism

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    I made the mistake of trying to look up some of those THR character videos on youtube, and got swamped with videos of how to redesign the "Overly masculine" Avar Kriss.
    Launch every star wars youtuber into the sun and let their names be stricken for all time. Only exceptions are Andi, Anthony, and related friends.

God why are they like this.

Vthuil, Jedi Ben and Dawud786 like this.
  20. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Star Wars audiobooks are always high quality things with music sound effects and Mark Thompson always a wonderful narrator.

Granted it’s not for everyone

however I will say I had a easier time going through the TROS Novelization audiobook than light of the Jedi

Iron_lord likes this.
  21. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    That first piece of artwork of her was awful though. None of the artwork that I have seen has particularly impressed me so far. If you compare it to something like Dawn of the Jedi, which was in a similar way doing something all new, you can see the huge difference in art quality. I remember the artwork for DotJ really made me interested in reading the books. THR artwork does not do that.

I'm also absolutely against cancel culture and I don't think you should have brought that into the discussion.

CernStormrunner likes this.
  22. juicepouch

juicepouch Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 13, 2020
    And here I've been saying it like "Marshawn." Mar-key-on is kinda cool, though, and I don't hate Marsh-ee-on. Might be one of those things that the fandom just never agrees on lol.

I feel like each Jedi having different skills and a unique relationship to the Force is a good argument for not pigeonholing them into one of three categories. Definitely digging the variety of lightsaber colors, too. I love that all we saw on screen was red/green/blue and then the EU kinda turned into the Wild West of lightsaber colors.

Unless we're reading different comments, I think you're the only bringing it into the discussion lol

Daneira likes this.
  23. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Oh, I stumbled into a wretched hive of scum and douchebaggery in some comments on the HR comic. How people manage to latch onto stuff I would never think of just reading the book, and make it out to be the overwhelming, undeniable and horrible manifesto guiding everything in it is just... well, I dunno.

I'm assuming that there's not enough HR traffic yet to warrant a lot of more specific threads or polls, but I'm curious as to who everyone's favorite characters are thus far, and why, what's working the best and what's not quite there yet, etc. I'm enjoying it all so far, no major gripes, but I'm definitely developing some favorites already.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  24. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Dawn of the Jedi was a huge misfire IMHO. The art was alright, but it was also largely the same stale models and poses Jan had used on Legacy and Republic, with much the same aesthetic.

I dont find the first image of Avar Kriss in her formal robes all that impressive, but most of the subsequent art has been pretty great. As is the art in the comic.

The redesigns by the self-identified "Fandom Menace artist" are trapped in the same boring superhero styles that hampered the highly sexualized cheesecake art that Duursema always leaned into. This is especially true with the female characters, but is equally bad with male character redesigns that make monks look like barbarians at the height of the Jedi and the Republic's "more civilized age."

It makes no sense for an order of warrior monks.

The very first descriptions of the lightsaber was "an elegant weapon for a more civilized age" and the knuckle daggers amongst us want the Jedis to be Conan and Xena in space.

IG: @jedisufism

cdgodin, Daneira, Sauron_18 and 3 others like this.
  25. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Meanwhile I was over here thinking "mar-KAI-on".

Between Marshy-on and Marky-on the latter is definitely better, though. Otherwise, yeah, too Martian sounding.