main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books Comics The High Republic (aka "Project Luminous")

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Xammer, Apr 15, 2019.

1. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Do most of y'all assume that onscreen Geode would never actually move in frame, more or less like the Weeping Angels in Doctor Who?

2. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Of course. I mean, he doesn't even move "on screen" in the book.

3. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    I like that the latest High Republic character video featured some nice Force artifacts from other eras. If taking these visuals as canon, we can surmise that at the Jedi Temple on Baatu, where the Jedi studied Force and Dark Side artifacts they at least had one Force Compass and a mural depicting the World between Worlds and its opening Hand gestures. The same one was designed for and seen in Rebels, like the Force compass was from The Last Jedi.

It may be farfetched but are these artifacts on Baatu the same ones that ended up in the Emperors hands and storehouses? In Rebels the Imperials studied the mural piece in a tent to figure out the Mortis murals access code, and Luke took the Force Compass from an Imperial site after all. Or are these artifacts others like them? If so, from where were they brought to Baatus temple? Or may some be from Baatu itself?

4. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    If there is one thing that I'm liking from all of the authors so far in the High Republic era, it's the inclusion and development of non-Jedi background characters. In an era where Jedi are plentiful, it would be so tempting and so easy just to focus your character arc, relationships and interactions on that of the Jedi and a handful of senior Republic figures.

But that's been the wonderful thing about Star Wars over the years - the many wonderful and endearing side characters and support characters. And the Storygroup have not forgot this as it seems because there are already a few non-Jedi supporting characters that are being "fleshed out".

Because ultimately, the Jedi don't make up all of the Trillions of characters in the Star Wars galaxy. There are many character stories playing out and entwining at any given time.

5. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Yeah, each book has done this, and they all did it in different ways with different kinds of side characters.

The High Republic Adventures comic looks like it's going to do really interesting things with non-Jedi characters. Not to spoil anything, but... it's a pretty fresh take, I think.

6. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    Whole-heartedly agreed. I love what the Storygroup are doing in respect of to the non-Jedi side characters and I find myself really getting into their character arcs as much as the Jedi ones.

I just love all of their unique mannerisms and character traits.

7. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  9. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Personally that character portrait of Geode is exactly how I pictured him. Perfection.

clone commander bossk likes this.
  10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Really liking these charts - shows the scale of it, without sacrificing accessibility.

11. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    I'm glad to see an official one of these after all those fan ones.

clone commander bossk likes this.
  12. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I'm a bit confused when it comes to the timeline and the fate of some characters. Putting it in spoilers, just to be sure:

Just finished Light of the Jedi, and the Starlight Beacon Dedication near the end sees multiple characters who are listed as deceased above still very much alive. E.g Porter Engle, Admiral Kronara, or the Ardens. If the timeline above more or less represents the status as per the Starlight Beacon Dedication, why are they listed as dead when they are still alive?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    AusStig and Golbolco like this.
  13. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    Yeah, that's because they use the same symbol to mean "no picture." It's only the ones where that symbol is white (Jora Malli and Douglas Sunvale) that are dead at this point.

14. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Ah, okay, thanks.

That's a bit of an unfortunate choice on their part.

15. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    The High Republic Era as post IX concept:

I think when pondering story and eras to set the project in, they of course also considered post IX and we had early leaks from inside LFL that the future of storytelling would develop paralell the post ROTJ to ST era and the post IX to next movie trilogy era with overlapping arcs maybe even. Of course, Sequel outrage by some fans lead to them being more careful in that era and move rather to the pre-PT times possibly instead of post IX.

Paralells between the post IX era and the High Republic pre-PT:

-no Sith around apparently (after a major war that is supposed to have extinguished them)

-other threats still exist and the galaxy unified, coming together expanding peacefully (as in TROS Galaxy fleet)

-Rim expansion might be Unknown Regions exploration (evidence the Amaxine station with Drengir being tied to Snoke and Luke's Unknown Regions exploration previously in Rise of Kylo Ren comics), alternatively the Rim expansion may be reconnecting what was lost to the First Order etc.

-visual paralells to Legends NJO/post NJO as well as Union comics Jedi Temple gathering for Lukes marriage to the dedication ceremony of Starlight Beacon (especially the poses and panel setups on two pages showing the gathered crowds of Jedi and guests and the raised lightsabers around the central figures, may post visual proof later or if anybody could help out?)

-the number of Jedi in High Republic differing from that in Sequels may be no big deal if set quite some time after the movies

-The Drengir, the Nihil and other emerging threats: The Nihil lookwise share a lot with Legends post NJO Legacy era One Sith, including the name that not only reminds to Darth Nihilus of the past but Darth Nihl of Legacy comics more closely phonetically. The Drengir on the other hand remind me in part of the Killiks due to the mindcontrol abilities, yet by design look more like Joe Schreibers evil Sith Neti from Legends or even the tentacly Tartarowsky Clone Wars Bounty Hunter Durge (who returns to canon soon and may or may not still be a Gen'dai! Maybe he is a Drengir in armor now?).

16. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I don't think this project was ever meant to be anything but a story from the past. The content certainly doesn't fit to a post-ST scenario. Either it would have needed to be in the distant future, or they completely overhauled their entire storyline. That doesnt sound particularly likely. Using something that resembles stuff from legends doesn't mean that it would fill the same place now than it did back then. You can just as easily take from post-OT legends and put it in pre-PT times.

The most important reason is something different though: they never would have started off a future time-period with books.That would have been far too limiting on future movie-projects. It worked in the past, because Lucas wasn't really interested in dealing with the post-OT world, but nowadays that isn't the case anymore.

AusStig likes this.
  17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Eh, put a load of books out, have a movie steamroller them, what are the fans going to do? Stop buying?

Lucas did exactly this and.... people kept buying.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  18. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Also lets face it...Most people don't care about books.

AusStig likes this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Jid, you did read the big sign saying "Literature", right?

20. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Yeah...But I still wanna bring that healthy dose of reality into the bubble.

Cuz let's face it...It's true.

Republic Comics ....Hardly anyone talks about them anymore.

TCW....Considered to be a defining thing in Star Wars fandom with a rabid fanbase that is the corner stone of modern Star Wars.

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Reality? No, you want to be an ass.

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  22. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You're a rubbish comedian. Your material is crap and no one's laughing.

24. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Also another reason I can't see them taking Post Ep 9 content is because they were working on this two years in advance before Ep 9 was even out. I don't think the timeline would add up.

25. Merric

Merric Jedi Master star 3

Jan 26, 2013
    [​IMG]
    If the High Republic jedi have got one thing it's style