main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics The High Republic by Cavan Scott (Marvel comic book series)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Spoiler code motherfrakker do you know it?

2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    To be fair the issue's been out for a month.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Ah, thanks. Will belay the execution - lmperial bureaucracy being what it is.[face_devil]

4. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  5. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.starwars.com/news/marvel-january-2022-star-wars-comics-exclusive
    [​IMG]

STAR WARS: THE HIGH REPUBLIC #13

CAVAN SCOTT (W) • ARIO ANINDITO (A) • Cover by PHIL NOTO

VARIANT COVER BY ARIO ANINDITO
    VARIANT COVER BY KHOI PHAM

THE BATTLE FOR NO-SPACE!

• Since MARCHION RO attacked the Republic Fair on VALO, everything has been leading to this moment. Now it’s THE JEDI’s turn to strike the heart of THE NIHIL.
    • AVAR KRISS VS. LOURNA DEE. JEDI VS. NIHIL. JEDI VS. JEDI.
    • A line is about to be crossed!

6. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    So, either Leveler started to produce offspring or it has an ability to decrease its size.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Can I just say I love Dr. Uttersond strutting around with his cool-ass shades. Guy's a total boss.

8. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
  9. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
  10. theorenwulf

theorenwulf Jedi Master star 2

Jul 12, 2015
    The last two issues of this were really pretty grim. Could see this setting Keeve on her path away from the Jedi. Sskeer also definetely seems like he isn't done with the Dark Side, will be intresting to see where this goes. I am glad that Teret and Ceret aren't dead at least not yet, would be a shame if they go down this early. Unfortunately the comic has such a frantic pace, that the characters rarely get space to have much development, apart from Keeve and Sskeer that is. For me the pace of this is sometimes too rushed, so far my least favourite of the High Republic outputs.

11. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I have been liking this, though I find myself kind of wishing the actual infiltration had gone on at least a bit longer before being found out - that the heroes actually managed to get some info, and to see more of how the Nihil operate and interact with one another. Introduce some emotional conflict of actually starting to like some of them before being in a battle with them against her jedi friends, or other good guys.

It is hard to tell given the psychedelic effects of the leveler - presented in a very cool and effective way - but I think I can make out the outline of the leveler and it kind of looks like a young leviathan to me.

1 - Possibly...though Keeve doesn't leave until she gets the rank of master, so I don't think that will happen for a while yet, in or out of universe.

2 I don't feel too worried about the twins...since I thought for sure they died in the drengir arc (Sskeer too) so I am going to be skeptical on future deaths for a while.

12. theorenwulf

theorenwulf Jedi Master star 2

Jul 12, 2015
    I also was pretty disappointed the infiltration didn't go on longer, I actually hoped they'd make an arc out of this and have Keeve actually do some stuff as a Nihil. Kinda contributes to my feeling of this being rush. You are of course correct that Keeve isn't a Master yet and probably will stay with the Order for a while. But I wonder whether her experience with the Leveller might be one of the root causes of her leaving, depending on how the Jedi deal with this. Especially since I expect that experience to haunt her for a long while. Sskeers fight with the Dark Side could have a similar effect, depending were it goes.

AusStig likes this.
  13. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I think the entirety of the High Republic phase 1 is rushed. I'm enjoying it a lot. But I also want to just be able to "live" in it more.

Characters need more room to breathe, and frankly we need to see why this Republic is so damn High. To the point, we've largely been in the chaotic Outer Rim fighting plant monsters and Mad Max villains. Interesting in their own right. But I don't think we have a whole lot of reason to think the Republic itself is anymore like the United Federation of Planets than it is the Republic of the Clone Wars era.

I mean, I kind of want to see what the day to day diplomacy and advocacy of Outpost Jedi is rather than constantly scrambling to deal with Nihil raiders that can't be reasoned with because all they want is chaos.

Now, they could use the Nihil crisis to build up this supposed High Republic, but the next phase titles don't leave me much hope that that's the direction they are headed. I get more a sense we are "progressing" towards a more insular dogmatic Jedi Order and the decline of the High Republic.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Daneira and Golbolco like this.
  14. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2016
    I love the High Republic so far, but I do feel the same way. I wonder if the storyline would benefit from more novels a la NJO, which would allow for some decompression and side stories to really explore what the High Republic is. All things considered, the NJO saw about six novels released in its first year (October '99-October '00) compared to HR's three novels in its first year.

AusStig and Dawud786 like this.
  15. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    It could benefit from the Adventures comic's cast not being caught up in so much of the main conflict.

It's a ship full of padawans and *they* got sent on a diplomatic mission to the Hutts...

I think it would be nice to have Yoda around and just off training these padawans and only occasionally intersecting with the Nihil conflict.

The comics, sadly, have been a whirlwind of wrapping up plot points when they should be where the era gets to be more established. They are a visual medium, the closest thing we have to a live action or animated series, and rather than letting is live on the Starlight Beacon and get to know these characters, it's been nonstop action off the station with very little worldbuilding. Likewise the Adventures comic. We needed to spend more time on that ship, seeing the Masters teach the Padawans and younglings and doing more mundane stuff rather than being so entangled with the Nihil and Marchion Ro.

Krix and Lula could still have had their parallel tracks without making them cross paths so early. To really build the anticipation for their next encounter. Could've been a Naruto/Sasuke thing.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

AusStig and Golbolco like this.
  16. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Wait would that make Yoda Jiraiya?

That would be different.

Jedi Knight88 and Dawud786 like this.
  17. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    I for one am enjoying the pacing of the comic series (and High Republic overall). I don't think we necessarily need to spend years covering what non movie characters did from 262BBY to 260 BBY.

18. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    yeah the pacing of the comics & the era itself so far is fine not rushed at all.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
  19. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    New profile pic, anyone?
    [​IMG]
    I'm enjoying the art in this series, but this was a hilarious oversight -- perhaps a placeholder that was never swapped out?

VexedAtVohai likes this.
  20. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    Avar wouldn't want Elzar to see her looking like that.

21. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.starwars.com/news/marvel-february-2022-star-wars-comics-exclusive
    [​IMG]
    STAR WARS: THE HIGH REPUBLIC #14

Written by CAVAN SCOTT
    Art by ARIO ANINDITO
    Cover by PHIL NOTO

THE EDGE OF DESTRUCTION!

• From Hero of Hetzal to…murderer? Can Keeve Trennis stop Marshal Avar Kriss from making a fatal mistake?
    • Death and danger await the Starlight Jedi as they finally close in on their enemy.
    • Tying directly into Claudia Gray’s Star Wars: The Fallen Star, phase one of Star Wars: The High Republic enters its cataclysmic final wave of stories. Everything is about to change.
    [​IMG]
    STAR WARS: THE HIGH REPUBLIC #15

Written by CAVAN SCOTT
    Art by ARIO ANINDITO
    Cover by PHIL NOTO

EVERYTHING CHANGES!

• Phase one of Star Wars: The High Republic reaches its galaxy-shaking conclusion.
    • Only one person can save the Jedi from the mysterious monsters that stalk Starlight Beacon.
    • Who will live and who will die?

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  22. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Anyone Else getting the feeling that the last wave of phase 1 will be the end of the Nihil conflict?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
  23. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    The nihil maybe, but not Ro.

PimpBacca and Jedi Ben like this.
  24. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
  25. Golbolco

Golbolco Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2016
    I thought there would be more going on in this issue, but it took things slow. That's not a bad thing.

Interesting that Avar has the authority to suspend another Jedi's... Jediing license. Makes sense with her rank as Marshal.

I know there was recently a discussion in another thread about what Starlight Beacon does... if it's meant to be a waypoint/stable set of coordinates for hyperspace travelers, how does moving it around make sense with that in mind?

Interesting to learn that Sskeer's condition isn't caused by a Dark Side thing but just standard health problem.

MercenaryAce likes this.