main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics The High Republic by Cavan Scott (Marvel comic book series)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    They look like Umbaran Jedi.

2. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    They're not.

3. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Not an ongoing unfortunately. 6-issue mini-series.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  4. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I believe it's been clarified that it is an ongoing that information is just wrong. Check Michael Siglain's twitter.

5. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
  6. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/how-marvels-star-wars-the-high-republic-comic-will-sho-1845625336
    Lucasfilm’s bold new transmedia initiative, Star Wars: The High Republic, promises to give us a look back into the galaxy, far, far away at the peak of the Jedi Order’s luminescence. Champions of an expansionist Republic, masters of the Force, they are a vision for the galaxy. But how heavy does that image hang on its youngest members in a time of crisis?

Early next year, The High Republic will kick off across new books—adult novels and adventures aimed at younger readers—and comics. For Marvel specifically, it means the launch of a brand new Star Wars ongoing, joining its main title, Darth Vader, and Doctor Aphra as the publisher’s window into the Star Wars universe. Penned by Cavan Scott and featuring art by Ario Anindito and Mark Morales, the series, simply titled Star Wars: The High Republic, will frame the wider narrative’s reckoning over the disaster surrounding the mid-lightspeed destruction of the transport ship Legacy Run and the relationship between two unconventional Jedi aboard the Republic fringe outpost called Starlight Beacon: Keeve Trennis and her master, Sskeer.

But they are not master and apprentice for long. Sskeer, a Trandoshan—not a common sight in what we’ve come to expect from Star Wars’ idea of a Jedi—is on the precipice of leaving Keeve behind. She’ll undergo trials to ascend from being a padawan and stand alone for the first time in her life in the Order as a Jedi Knight and do it all as one of the youngest knights in the Order, at an unprecedented moment of galactic crisis.

“We’ve had stories of Jedi who were confident. We’ve had stories of Jedi who search, who want to know more, who want to be better,” Cavan Scott, the comics writer and Star Wars author who will write the ongoing story, recently told io9 over a video call. “I want to tell the story of a Jedi who is good, but doesn’t know how good she is—and doesn’t know why she’s been chosen for this and struggles with that question and what that would mean to her character. How would she respond to people? She has a relationship with Sskeer she’s had for years, as his apprentice. And he’s there. But now he’s not there. She’s equal to him. And perhaps he’s going off with other people, and she’s going off on her own. That was fascinating.”

It was an idea that had driven Scott since the first time he became involved in what was referred to in hushed tones as “Project Luminous”—the coming together of luminaries from across the Disney era of Star Wars’ publishing initiatives to forge a brand new chapter of the franchise, in a timeline we’ve never seen before. Standing in Skywalker ranch as his fellow authors discussed what Star Wars meant to them and what they would do with the blank canvas of this new era, the author found himself both in awe and feeling out of his depth: much like the protagonist of his new Marvel comic.

“Something I suffer with sometimes is imposter syndrome, and it’s something I was struggling with that week [at Skywalker Ranch],” Scott told us. “And the more we talked about what the Jedi could be— and it was the second week we’d [been] out there, that we really established what the era would be—the more I kept thinking back to that moment where it was scary enough, for me, to be in this situation, to think, ‘Have I got a place to be a this table? Do I deserve a place at this table? Have I got a story to tell?’”

Scott and the rest of his team do, in fact. As does Keeve Trennis, Jedi Knight. Find out more about the writer’s first steps in The High Republic, fleshing out the lives of Keeve and Sskeer, and what readers can expect out of this next phase of Star Wars storytelling in our full interview below: as well as an exclusive look inside some of the unfinished interior pages of Star Wars: The High Republic #1!

Star Wars: The High Republic formally begins with the release of The Light of the Jedi, by Charles Soule, and Justina Ireland’s A Test of Courage, on January 5, 2021. Marvel’s Star Wars: The High Republic #1 will release January 6.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  7. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    [​IMG]
    STAR WARS: THE HIGH REPUBLIC #2

CAVAN SCOTT (W) • ARIO ANINDITO (A)

Cover by PHIL NOTO

Variant Cover by Ashley Witter

ALL-NEW SERIES CONTINUES!

WHO DESTROYED ONE OF THE JEDI’S DEADLIEST ENEMIES?

• The NIHIL strike! A ship found adrift in space, the crew brutally slaughtered and cargo stolen.

• What terror awaits the THE JEDI OF STARLIGHT BEACON as they explore the wreck?

• Newly knighted KEEVE TRENNIS must overcome her insecurity in the face of new teammates, but can she trust her closest ally?

32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2020 Lucasfilm Ltd.

8. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.starwars.com/news/marvel-star-wars-the-high-republic-2-exclusive-preview
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cynda and Jedi Daniel like this.
  9. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
  10. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    Usually I wait until well after release on new projects like this before I invest cold hard cash, but I do like how the title 'High Republic' implies that by Anakin and Obi-Wan's day the Republic was corrupt and decaying and everyone knew it.

11. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Solicit for The High Republic #3 via SW.com:
    [​IMG]

STAR WARS: THE HIGH REPUBLIC #3

Written by CAVAN SCOTT
    Art by ARIO ANINDITO
    Cover by PHIL NOTO

ALL-NEW SERIES CONTINUES! A DARK MYSTERY ONLY THE JEDI CAN UNRAVEL…BUT AT WHAT COST?
    • A planet stricken by a mysterious blight. One JEDI missing and another driven insane.
    • What horror lurks in the darkness beneath the rotting crops?
    • Death is averted, but a terrible union is formed. Can KEEVE TRENNIS protect an innocent life while facing betrayal from within her own order?

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    With the TV series announced I'm hoping that encourages this to get 12 issues, so raising the odds of it getting an OHC.

13. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Avar looks like Galadriel.

IG: @jedisufism

14. Huncrweo

Huncrweo Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 3, 2020
    I think Avar looks a lot like Jodie Whittaker. If she ever makes a live-action appearance, I know who I'd want to play her.

Dream-Thinker likes this.
  15. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Well the first issue for this was a massive upswing in quality over a lot of the recent Marvel output. Fantastic art, characters were intriguing and a good set up for the series.

Word of advice it does contain minor spoilers for Light of the Jedi due to this series occurring after the events of the book (not sure if that was known beforehand).

16. Admiral_Wyvern

Admiral_Wyvern Jedi Master star 2

Feb 14, 2014
    I thought issue 1 was enjoyable, but a bit overstuffed. Hopefully successive issues will be able to take things slower, though I think comics do not always have that luxury. I liked Keeve a lot as a protagonist. It will be interesting to see what the future has in store for her.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  17. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    The issue has already sold over 200k copies, which is an enormous amount. The second printing has already sold out.

18. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I'll try and order my first issue next week

19. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    A good issue. I don't feel that the actual story has begun yet, even though this is apparently set post-Light of the Jedi? Or at least at a point where the Great Disaster has (apparently) been dealt with. Seems like an odd choice, though I suppose the last page suggests there's more going on.

Maybe it's me, but I was hoping for some sort of KOTOR-style twist, especially with the vibe I got from Keeve being brought to a Knighting ceremony and Avar mentioning a "covenant". Coincidences, of course, but I do kinda wish the last page had a more definitive twist, rather than just mild intrigue. Good, though. Some decent worldbuilding...but at the minute it all feels like worldbuilding instead of story.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  20. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    Thanks for the warning! I’m about halfway through LotJ (loving it, so far!), so I’ll hold off on reading this issue until I’ve finished the book.

21. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    I thought this thread would be a lot busier with talk of the first issue...

22. Noir Deux

Noir Deux Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 27, 2015
    I will wait to the tpb that compiles the six issues which should come by August/Sep I guess, but great to read that you guys liked the first issue and that this takes place after the book, so I have enough time to read it.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  23. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    I'll order the first 6 issues separately first to see how it goes and then start ordering the TPB's.

24. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    It's a great first issue, but it doesn't feel like it's a lot to talk about. Gorgeous art.

IG: @jedisufism

devilinthedetails likes this.
  25. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Read the comic last night. It's short and can definitely be read in one sitting. More detailed thoughts follow beneath the spoiler tag.

I'd definitely recommend reading Light of the Jedi by Charles Soul first for adult and young adult readers to provide context for the characters and the setting that appear in the book. Starlight Beacon and its dedication are explained well in Light of the Jedi. Keeve's Master and Avar Kriss also make an appearance there.

Keeve is a fun character. I really like how outgoing and authentic she is. Her comments and her overall vivacious streak kept me engaged throughout the book.

As did her Jedi trial which she thought she had failed but perhaps didn't...

I enjoyed getting to know Keev and her Master better (a cool Master and Padawan pairing for sure) and the connections to Light of the Jedi were cool.

To me, it wasn't on the level with Light of the Jedi, but I've subscribed to the series on my Kindle so I'll get the new ones as they are published and keep up to date on what's going on.

Out of five stars, I'd give it three and a half. Solid and enjoyable but not rising to the level of spectacular. Best enjoyed as a side dish to the entree of Light of the Jedi by Charles Soule.