main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics The High Republic by Cavan Scott (Marvel comic book series)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Feb 26, 2020.

1. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I typically wait for TPBs, but it’s super tempting to at least get the first issue of this

2. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    Without giving any spoilers, is this good?

devilinthedetails likes this.
  3. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    It's good, but it feels like KOTOR #0.

IG: @jedisufism

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Not that that's a bad thing, but waiting for the trade - or OHC [face_praying] - may be the better route to go.

5. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I haven't been able to find the first issue at any of my local stores so I may end up trade waiting, which I keep telling myself to do anyways. I have too many comics and too many are unread at this point due to trying to fill gaps.

6. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I'd say it's good and enjoyable, but not great.

I was able to get a Kindle copy for $3.99 and at that price, it was a good deal. However, I saw the print editions selling for $20.00 on Amazon, and at that price, I'd be disappointed, since I could get the much better Avatar:The Last Airbender comics for less money. I'd put it at not being worth more than $5.00 at least to me personally because it is such a thin, quick story.

I'd also say that it is best enjoyed after reading Light of the Jedi since things in the comic make more sense with that background.

I'd describe it as a fun, quick read that introduces a vivacious young Jedi who it's easy to root for as the story progresses.

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  7. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    I made the minor mistake of reading this before LOTJ, having missed where it was placed on the timeline. I'm not spoiler-phobic in the least but in this case I would've preferred to have waited. Regardless, I think it is a good start and I look forward to following it.

To dive right into the dorky stuff -- okay, does Avar Kriss's lightsaber hilt have a crossguard, or not? It does here, but seems not to in all other available art including on the LOTJ cover.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  8. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Book covers and concept art aren't canon but the pages of a comic are, so there's your answer, at least for now.

9. FiveFireRings

Nov 26, 2017
    That's pretty much what I was going for, but most of the character art shows her without the crossguard too. But I just found the description in the book itself, and yep, crossguard.

10. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    Maybe it's detachable?

11. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Looks like we will get a trade paperback In August.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    SWpants likes this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, has Amazon updated their catalogue?

Daneira likes this.
  13. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
    Here is a link to the Amazon listing as opposed to the Reddit post which was just a screenshot.

SWpants likes this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Thanks, Amazon's search engine gives weirdly partial results for 'Marvel'.

15. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    The first issue is good, but I want to see the first six before rendering any opinion. It does have a KOTOR type vibe but it is too early to call. I think there is a lot we don't know yet and it be good to see the rest of the first series to see how it plays out.

16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Just a warning- the cover and solicit for issue 4 are out, and they might be a bit too spoilery for some.

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    There's been a long held convention in Lit to spoiler code solicit info and covers for upcoming issues..

18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Not consistently upheld. Any yeah, there's been spoilery solicits in the past, but I felt extra warning was warranted for this one.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Now that's a shame, it's an easy bit of courtesy and etiquette to do.

20. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Was confused as that spoilers cover was included on the last page of the electronic copy I have on the Marvel app. Thought you guys were talking about something new!

21. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  22. Daneira

Jun 30, 2016
  23. Gallandro007

Gallandro007 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 7, 2014
    Is there a galaxy map on the inside of the first issue? Would be good to see that

24. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    No, it's in THR Adventures. But it has shown up online.
    [​IMG]

AusStig likes this.
  25. FiveFireRings

Nov 26, 2017
    Really liked #2 -- it's moving along nicely now. I'm really liking it whenever Avar Kriss comes onstage... she's just, I dunno, a comforting and competent presence in a way that leadership-level Jedi rarely have been, maybe the SW equivalent of a Captain Picard? She just gives me good vibes. The art is very good, too. Mostly I'm just enjoying the story moving forward now that I'm settling into familiarity with the characters and situations.
    Still not sure what's up with Sskeer, which is a good thing. Cool to see Vernestra, and the twins are interesting. I assume we can guess from certain spoilers what's generally up with a crop-related mystery, but I didn't expect the Children Of The Corn kind of vibe on the way there, and it's cool.