main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics The High Republic by Cavan Scott (Marvel comic book series)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
  2. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    Even Snoke does it!

AusStig and devilinthedetails like this.
  3. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    So - has Geode, err, done anything yet?
    This character is definitely coming off as a bit of a strange... addition.

clone commander bossk likes this.
  4. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Geode hasn't rocked into the comics.

Say I have a question that issue 3 raised. How CLOSE is that planet to the beacon? It seems like it is right next to it.

5. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Have you read Into the Dark?

6. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    I'm loving it.

clone commander bossk likes this.
  7. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Is there a single person who's actually read Into the Dark that has a problem with Geode?

8. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    He did something in the very first book that introduced him: Into the Dark by Claudia Gray.

9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I truly doubt it.

has flashbacks to those reading summaries of LotF books and hating them but if they just read them

Nothing changes.

10. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Not to my knowledge.

But hey gotta get them hate clicks right.

11. Admiral_Wyvern

Admiral_Wyvern Jedi Master star 2

Feb 14, 2014
    Read issue 4, the series is coming together really nicely. Hoping that Sskeer survives this act as he's starting to feel like a pretty compelling character. Nice to see Vernestra and Imri are going to have a part in this story too.

I think this series has done a good job introducing the Drengir, although it did leave me with some questions.
    This issue claims that one of the Drengir imprsioned on Amaxine station from Into the Dark was in fact the first of the Drengir: The Great Progenitor. There was nothing about that in Into the Dark, so I assume it will be expanded on later? I thought most of the Drengir on Amaxine were killed, so it seems a bit weird for this Great Progenitor to be killed off like that.

Eh, I felt like Geode was a good joke that went on too long.

12. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Oooooooh.
    Is this the first reference to the Sith we've gotten in High Republic media? I love love love this kind of offhand reference to an ancient conflict.

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The Sith are mentioned in Into The Dark.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  14. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    also Light of the Jedi. Though I think primarily just in reference to the Sith lightspear that Jora Malli got her saber crystal from

IG: @jedisufism

15. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    The Sith as mentioned in Into The Dark are pretty interesting and would seem to be pre-Rule of Two. I do hope that thread gets picked up and the backstory elaborated on in some way.

16. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Also.....

They are mentioned when Jora is talking to the Council about whether or not the Jedi should intervene against the Nihil, mentioned how the Jedi engaged in combat against the Sith last great war.

Onto this issue.....

Its nice seeing more of the Sith relationship to the Drengir explored. Interesting how we now know they used to have an alliance with the Drengir. I do hope we get Old Republic era content that deals with the Drengir and Sith (also did Old Republic Jedi fight Drengir?). I wonder which generation of Sith broke the truce and put the Drengir to sleep. Long before Darth Bane? Or was it during the final generation of many Sith? If it was, Darth Bane could have fought the Drengir. It seems that when the Sith put to sleep the "First Ones", it caused the rest of the Drengir across the galaxy to go dormant. Onto Sskeer, I bet his Drengir arm is going to have future negative consequences. Nice seeing the introduction to the Hutt Cartel, now we have a 3rd enemy for this era.

Speaking of a certain group of people.........I knew they would show up because it was revealed in spoilers not yet in the comics (so don't look if you want to be surprised).........

WARNING

The Drengir are going to kill an important Hutt (which maybe they already caused the spark, because it was revealed the true demise of the Hutt corpse found, was because of the Drengir) which is going to spark a war that deals with the Hutts, which the Jedi are going to get involved in

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  17. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Read Issue #4 on my train commute home yesterday. I really enjoyed it and might have found it to be the best of the series so far. More thoughts follow beneath the spoiler tag.

This issue seemed to me to be the most intense so far, and the plot is definitely thickening. There is the threat of the Drengir, the danger of the Nihil, and now a corrupt Hutt cartel added into the mix of adversaries the Jedi and their allies must confront in this High Republic comic series.

The Drengir in this issue were more menacing to me than they had ever been in the past. It was chilling to see their vines growing up the noses and other facial features of our Jedi protagonists. Nightmare fuel for sure right there. And the lab portion where the corpse appeared to be re-animated by the malevolent possession of the Drengir was chilling in a way reminiscent of a zombie movie or Frankenstein.

It was nice to see Imri and Vernestra integrated into the plot of the comics (though Vernestra had made an appearance in the comics, Imri had not if I recall correctly). Gives some insights into what they might have been up to after Test of Courage.

The Drengir history we get compliments and expands on what we are given in Into the Dark. I appreciate that the comics are providing the origin story of the Drengir for the benefit of those readers who haven't read Into the Dark since that helps ensure that the comics can be enjoyed independently of Into the Dark, but I do find that Into the Dark can still enhance the comics if they are both read. I also found it really interesting to learn that the Drengir had been allies of the Sith (don't think that was mentioned in Into the Dark) and that the Drengir felt betrayed by the Sith. More about the Sith interactions with the Drengir could be fascinating to learn in future books and/or comics.

Oh, and the relationship between Sskeer and Keeve continues to shine!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  18. Merric

Merric Jedi Master star 3

Jan 26, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Qort is peak Star Wars character design. Sorry to anyone who may disagree, I'm just saying the facts here

19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Somewhere Darth Krayt weeps.

spicer, PimpBacca, Jedi Ben and 3 others like this.
  20. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    Oooh this is issue was good.

I was glad to see Sskeer was just using a ruse, and is back to normal except for the addition nice, very viny arm.

Also in the sith section i think i saw exegol, was that just me.?

Anyway, great issue, and the battle with the Hutts will be spectacular. :D

AusStig and devilinthedetails like this.
  21. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Read the first two issues and enjoying it. I like the references to the first novel, enjoying the characters especially Sskeer.

22. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Yeah he is really interesting.

The connections are well done, you get more if you know them but they don't make it strange if you haven't. At least in my view.

23. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Issue #6 solicit.
    https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-high-republic-next-wave
    [​IMG]

THE HIGH REPUBLIC #6

Publisher: Marvel
    Format: 13+ Comic Book Series
    Author: Cavan Scott
    Artist: Pencils by Georges Jeanty
    Cover Artist: Phil Noto
    On-Sale Date: June 2, 2021

HEART OF THE DRENGIR!

• New story arc!
    • The REPUBLIC FRONTIER in crisis! The JEDI of STARLIGHT BEACON join forces with their most feared enemy to face the terror of the unstoppable DRENGIR horde.
    • AVAR KRISS and her new allies fight nightmarish creatures on a harsh lava world. Can young Jedi KEEVE TRENNIS save her former master from the darkness?
    • Also who or what is the GREAT PROGENITOR?!

24. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    The Sith stuff here makes a lot more sense out of the Into The Dark references -- I still think the "stasis statues" are a kind of odd Sith tactic, but if it was a ruse of betrayal at the end of a sundered alliance, that tracks better. I'm not entirely clear on Sskeer's long game here -- was he starting to be influenced by the Drengir long-distance before starting his ruse, and why exactly did he keep it to himself? I'm assuming I'm just not remembering some details from previous issues. Regardless I'm still enjoying the book and the art and the core group are rapidly starting to feel like "old favorites".

I'm also starting to feel like, across the series, the main connectivity wobbliness at first was a lack of having nailed down certain universal particulars of the baddies, Nihil and Drengir alike, who tended to vary from depiction to depiction, but that really seems to be stabilizing quickly (the Nihil in the new High Republic Adventures track with their other appearances a lot better than in the earlier issues).

25. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011