main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The High Republic: Into the Dark by Claudia Gray

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Feb 24, 2020.

1. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    You caught most of the ones I noticed, and a few others. The lightsaber color discrepancy was very odd considering that rather a big deal is made about it in LOTJ. I also viewed the Nihil ship description as "new" in this book, although it's pretty handwave-able.

Finishing this tonight. It's been really great. I have a few lingering questions about a few things, but I'll wait to see if they're addressed. I'd say, having greatly enjoyed all of the High Republic material thus far, this is probably my favorite, and that it's not at all what I expected!

2. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Well I can't take credit for it all, thank the wookieepedia.

3. theorenwulf

theorenwulf Jedi Master star 2

Jul 12, 2015
    I use Rakuten Kobo to get the e-books in Germany, where we also don't get them on Kindle, which I normally use. Maybe that works in the US as well.

Darth_Erebus likes this.
  4. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Just a warning

this has spoilers for into the dark

I didn't realise and watched it.

whostheBossk, Ghost, DLCV and 4 others like this.
  5. FiveFireRings

Nov 26, 2017
    Finished it, really really liked it, lots more with these characters to look forward to. Just wanted to see if everyone has the same read on this bit of backstory as me:
    So the Amaxine had this station and everything was going pretty cool for them, but then the Drengir, who don't seem to have much tech of their own, make it to the station via one of the hyperspace pods and make things really bad for the Amaxine, who sort of take off from there and eventually from the galaxy in general. I guess the Drengir hold the station for a little while and eventually do something that pisses off the Sith, who ultimately cart in some statues of races that they keep as slaves and use that to bind the Drengir... then the Sith basically just leave the statues there and leave the station alone.

The Drengir I guess are just naturally tuned in to the dark side. Maybe the first time in canon that that's a thing for a whole species? I considered that maybe they were corrupted or created by darksiders, but if so, it apparently wasn't the Sith, because the Drengir seem to remember encountering the Sith for the first time, not too long before they were bound.
    I'm sure there's more history coming, probably in the Marvel series, but I don't know if we'll be going back to the Amaxine station so that might be it for now... did I miss or misinterpret anything there?

Supreme Leader Woke likes this.
  6. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I find it funny about the backstory

How the Amaxine have been tied in with the First Order first as the name of the paramilitary group the FO was funding and then the station was being used as a base by Snoke.

7. Merric

Merric Jedi Master star 3

Jan 26, 2013
    Ugh, nothing gets on my nerves more than this kind of stuff. Really takes me out of the immersion. I know there are so many people working on this project, but come on. I feel like everything that has been coming out lately whether it be the cartoons, books, or live action stuff have all had these same problems :rolleyes:

StarWarsFan91 likes this.
  8. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I hope the errors are fixed if there is ever a reprint.

I agree it hurts ones immersion and the knowing its set in the same general time as Light of the Jedi.

Merric likes this.
  9. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Maybe the Drengir are the Amaxines. Not in their original form, but transformed somehow, maybe even by the Sith--hence their dark-sidey-ness.

The whole "left the galaxy" thing always felt like a tall tale to me anyway.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  10. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Still slow going for me. Taking my time. :D

11. FiveFireRings

Nov 26, 2017
    Something hinky's going on, but I don't think that's it. Or... huh, maybe? Something weird and darksidey happened. Some of the Drengir dialogue suggests that they live forever but their memory isn't the best. So it's vaguely possible that they just don't remember their own story too well. Maybe the Sith *are* responsible for what happened but the Drengir proved difficult to control, so they did the statue thing.

The statue thing still doesn't feel super Sith-y to me, but for now that's the story, I guess.
    Yeah, it's odd that there are still these little nits to pick especially given that the whole launch was delayed, but there's so much that I like about the whole initiative that I'm just looking at it as like the first season of a TV show where they're not quite sure where they're going, and some elements are going to be discarded while others click.

12. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    So I am about 6.5 hours into the audio book.

Some good twists with the girl being Nihil and the artefacts holding back the darkside, not holding it.

It is interesting how these things turn the situation on it's head.

Over all a very good story.

I also like how some jedi DON'T like how cold the order is with death. And how flawed their views are.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Thanks for the warning, I've been enjoying these but sticking spoilers in for a book with variable global availability isn't cool.

AusStig likes this.
  14. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    FWIW it's background and premise spoilers more than how anything resolves--some of the information comes pretty late in the book but it's only a spoiler insofar as the Drengir are totally unknown at the story's outset.

15. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    I wish I had the audio book.

AusStig likes this.
  16. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    well I am 7.5 hours in and just now

They are starting to even suspect the Drengir, so I think it is a pretty BIG spoiler. Since it means we know the relics ARE'T the issue.

Daneira likes this.
  17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah there's several mysteries in the book that have greater impact the less you know, so I do think they should have waited with this particular video.

In other news, I finished the book. I really liked it, loved all the characters and thought Gray did a great job weaving the various plot elements together in a natural way. I almost feel like Master & Apprentice was a trial run for her with writing about Jedi, since she goes far more in depth in exploring what it means to be a Jedi and how that can differ from knight to knight.

18. Darth_Erebus

Darth_Erebus Jedi Master star 1

Aug 19, 2013
    Cheers, worked for me and I've got it ready now for when I, finally, finish Light

19. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Fair, but if that's your line then posting it here at all was a spoiler because the title graphic says DRENGIR in big letters.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  20. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    I feel it is vague enough to not give the whole game away. And I needed to show people what it was.
    But yes I did consider what you suggest.

edit:

I am on the final run now it feels, everyone going back to the station for their own reasons.

I also like how Claudia Gray pulls the rug out from the reader, I never thought that the girl would be Nihil and it is a great twist it really adds to their interactions.

And while i was spoiled about the planets it is good that they are more than they appeared.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  21. FiveFireRings

Nov 26, 2017
    Crossposting from the Rise of Kylo Ren thread, having just gone through it for the scenes related to Into The Dark:
    -the Amaxine station still exists between ROTJ and TFA and the arboretum is thoroughly regrown.
    -it's tended Snoke wearing a sweet hat.
    - it's full of skeletons of various species. This seems to relate to events after Into The Dark.
    -There are some kind of gnarly vines that could be interpreted as ex-Drengir, but also maybe not.
    -Snoke describes the people who built the station as "trying to hold back the dark" and implies that the corpses are evidence that it didn't work out that well. This could maybe be a slightly changed premise (the Amaxine aren't mentioned) but it doesn't matter either way since Snoke is Snoke so it makes sense for him to be lying.
    -overall, something pretty major does seem to have gone on in the station over the intervening years but it's tough to infer what it was.

22. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    So I got to the

Drengir and.... I am disappointed. They are basically darkside Gen'dai, planets. I was just expecting more from an ancient evil sealed away on a space station.

I guess the fact it is a species and not an individual (or even a hive mind type of creature) is the most disappointing part.

23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Re: Rise of Kylo Ren
    I really liked the detail on the dead vines, which look exactly like they'd burst out to try and hold a ship in place.

AusStig likes this.
  24. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    So I finished the book

I thought for a second there that Affie was going to stay in the Guild, but I am glade she made the right decision.

Said about Dez though, I wonder what will become of him.

Cohmac is sounding A LOT like Dark Empire Luke/Ulic Qel Droma, with the need to understand the darkside. I see bad things in his future.

Orla seemed short sighted, with letting the Drengir out just so the jedi could escape.

Reath was alright, I liked him thinking out his problems. A bit too bookish for me to be all in for. Kinda reminded me of NJO Jacen.

The Nihil were alright, just used as generic raiders and then a stinger at the end, nothing bad but nothing great.

The Drengir were a waste, so just flush them out into space and that kills them? Weak, for all the mystery in the book and the misdirect with the idols. They were just a nothing enemy, I don't see how they were different from generic bad guy gen'dai.

It's ok, over all.

devilinthedetails and Shamear like this.
  25. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    How soon until Vintians like our boy Geode start showing up in live action. Imagine a bar scene and as they pan across the whole place there are giant rocks at tables with drinks in front of them.