main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The High Republic: Into the Dark by Claudia Gray

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Feb 24, 2020.

1. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    A species of Swamp Things

2. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    It's swamp thing magic and all about "the green" though.

These guys are just about themselves.

3. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Swamp Thangs

4. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    The greatest thing about that was Gray seeming to delight in the "this can only work in a book" aspect of it. There was no twist or reveal or anything, Geode stayed exactly as he was first presented, managed to have a heroic moment, but... was a rock.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  5. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Yep, I loved that. I figured some sort of transformation was coming when they saw a fleeting shadow leaving the Vessel that one time...but he was still just a rock, and saved Reath by being a rock. I think it could've spoiled the running gag if he had transformed, or spoke, or something. Gray has always been good at character and arcs, but she even handled Geode's perfectly.

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    My copy might be on its way!

Ordered ages ago, it's quite impressive that amazon.co.uk has already tagged it as 'bestseller' and it's not even out!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    devilinthedetails likes this.
  7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    The Jedi:
    [​IMG]
    The Vessel crew:
    [​IMG]

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It came out in the US on Feb 2, according to the US Amazon site.

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Amazon UK says 18 Feb for this and A Test of Courage - no idea as to why this is so, just that it is.

10. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I really thought until Reath smashed into Geode that he was probably just an inanimate object and some weird running joke between Leox and Affie. Unlike all the other twists and turns in the book which I figured out pretty quickly (also, how dense is Reath that he didn't realize the "can't cross the arch alone" thing was a metaphor immediately?), I kept wondering with each scene he was in whether or not it was going to be revealed one way or another if he was actually a living being.

AusStig likes this.
  11. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    He is a researcher, they live in the world of literal. Hate metaphors, get doctorate, have real conversation.

12. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Important Geode Update:

FWIW my headcanon is that Vintians don't move in a normal 3-dimensional sense, they relocate themselves by folding spacetime and that's what makes Geode a good navigator.

13. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Now I want a Geode novel...or at least a novella...

14. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Agree on the bridge thing. I think there was too much internal monologuing from Affie and Leox both treating Geode as if he was a being with whom they do communicate for him to have been a ruse, but I still expected a reveal of him "in action" or some ultimate explanation of his mechanics, and loved not getting one. I'll be disappointed if there ever is one, honestly.

15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    This supposedly came out today in the UK and is now 'temporarily out of stock' on Amazon UK. Not sure if that's due to pre-orders or if they didn't get any. Anyone pre-order this and have now gotten a shipment date?

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Mine's on its way, should arrive today, but I ordered it almost as soon as it became available months ago.

For my A Test of Courage pre-order I only did that a couple of weeks ago, have the same result as you. I think demand has exceeded supply.

The precedent of Queen's Peril suggests they will get more stock in due course.

ZV-83 and LAJ_FETT like this.
  17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    If yours is on the way then at least I know they got some. I'll just have to keep an eye out for a restock.

ZV-83 likes this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Also, for this duo, be it Amazon proper, or via their Marketplace, Amazon is the only option for UK purchases.

19. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I'm slowly putting together a US Amazon list as I have a few books that haven't shown up on the UK site - might have to add this. I've already got a pre-order in on UK for the SW Bounty Hunter tpb (no date on that book yet, was supposed to be end of Jan) and Mandalorian: Art & Imagery vol 2 (now end of Feb). If that hasn't moved by March I'll cancel the order and use the US site.

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    What's the Bounty Hunter one, Marvel? If so, keep an eye on the Weekly Releases thread for accurate info.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
  21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I usually check that thread when it gets an update. Just checked the US site and it has a Nov 2020 date for the tpb but it's not in stock there either. Kindle version is available though.

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Site info for trades is frequently unreliable, unless it's Diamond or Midtown Comics.

23. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I'll keep an eye on the thread here then.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Copy has arrived and it's a lovely looking book. Excellent design and aesthetics, well worth the cash in quality terms.

Currently working my way through Poe Dameron: Free Fall, once done - this'll probably be next..

25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Glad you got it OK!
    I wasn't that crazy about the Dameron book - hopefully I will like this more if I ever get a copy..