main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The High Republic: Out of the Shadows by Justina Ireland

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Jan 4, 2021.

1. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    I'm finding the YA reads a bit messy and confusing so far, the characters seem to fumble around until the end of the book, and a lot of details end up being irrelevant. That said, I did really like most of it.

This book was enjoyable, but not very memorable.
    I liked the parallels between Chancey Yarrow and Galen Erso, intentional or not. Particularly the "My mother is alive. My mother is a liar." echoing Rebel Rising and the Rogue One novelisation's "My father is alive. My father is a coward. My father is a bastard."

Vernestra's story was very interesting, and I'm looking forward to more of it.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
  2. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I just finished after taking a 2 week hiatus(Jedi Sufi business).

Maybe it's the 2 week break, maybe it's the book itself, but I agree with the general consensus that this one wasn't as good for me as every other entry into the High Republic thus far.

Syl was too angsty for me. But then again, I'm 41 years old. I suppose I should ask my teenage son how he enjoyed the book. I did like that Syl is vegetarian. Now I could use a vegan teetotalling Jedi in the mix, I could really relate to that.

Vern was cool, glad to explore her character more. She got a lot more depth, and seemed less prodigious than she did in A Test of Courage.

The Jordanna/Syl romance was over wrought and soapy, which makes it funny that Syl actually seems to watch holo soaps. I got really bored with all that stuff. Plot wise, I think Syl would been better served dwelling on her mother and Proffessor Wolk's theory than the constant harping on "my ex-girlfriend broke my heart."

We definitely took way too long to get to the action. I wouldn't have minded that had we spent more time with the Jedi and in the Jedi Temple, rather than with Syl and Xylan Graf. That stuff really wasn't interesting to me.

Starch sticks are French fries, yes?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
  3. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Enjoyed this one. I just really love the High Republic era, and I find Vernestra's hyperspace vision and Force capabilities really interesting. It'll be cool to see how those might develop in the future. It might be the weakest of the High Republic books so far for me but still one I enjoyed and think could lay some great groundwork for future adventures and revelations. I also do like learning more about the San Tekka history and about the planets mentioned in the ST. Makes the galaxy feel cohesive and integrated.

Jedi Ben and AusStig like this.
  4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Sadly this was the weakest entry in the series for me.

A large part of that was Syl, who never really worked for me. Though the way the story with her mother played out was surprising. Jordanna was a more successful character.

I ended up reading this one far more for everyone else. I liked the running joke that Vern takes after her master where piloting is concerned. Both Vern and Imri's stories worked well.

Unfortunately, it does that unwelcome trick of doing some rather major, status quo changing moves at the end. These render the book a pretty required item for the larger tale, while not being that great on its own merits.

It was good seeing the wider fallout from Valo. Feels like something bigger than the Nihil is waiting in the wings. This book also focuses more on the underbelly of the Republic's aristocrats.

5. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    I didn't mind Syl. I also enjoyed learning about the hyperspace family rivalries a bit. I'm not one for politics or bureaucracy, but it was presented in a way that was interesting.

But for a YA book, I feel like it dragged. It did even seem more juvenile in some ways than the MG books. It also seriously irritates me that people keep kriffing calling Vernestra "Vern," even when she asks--THEN TELLS--them not to. It's not that bloody damn difficult and I'm ready to kick their teeth out. MICHAEL, not Mike; KATHERINE, not Kate. Some people don't like nicknames and ya'll need to kriffing respect her before I disrespect you.
    It's old and I'm over it. Let's move onto another plot device, authors.

6. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Yeah, I agree that everyone insisting on calling Vernestra "Vern" is irritating. It really does become disrespectful when her requests are ignored over and over by her fellow Jedi and other characters.

She's Vernestra to me because that's the name she prefers to be known by.

And I think Vernestra is a beautiful name so I totally get why she would prefer it to Vern.

SWpants, AusStig and Jedi Ben like this.
  7. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Yeah as someone who got (and still gets sometimes), I felt it. Especially since it was a private nick name. But I don't think she was too good at saying so to the Jedi (if I recall).

But eventually you accept that people will shorten your name. Though they should ask first.

8. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    With all the Imri stuff, I was disappointed that Burryaga wasn't even mentioned.

My hope for The Fallen Star is that we get a lot of focus on Avar, Elzar, Stellan, Vernestra, and Bell. Vernestra being the newest addition to that list. I want to read more about the relationship between her and Stellan. Indeera, Burryaga, and Reath could do with more attention too.

9. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Really feels like they want to put Burryaga in the children's books. I get it, but at least give him a young reader novel!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

10. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    Wonder if members (or, at least, leader) of House Organa in this era are going to be morally ambiguous too.

Daneira likes this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I think that would require some rather careful handling if it was to be done.

One of this book's successes is the way it shows the sheer level of violation inflicted on Mari San Tekka by the Ro family.

12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    The THR Show revealed the looks for some of the characters and I have to say, Xylan looks exactly like I imagined him. Like, major kudos to Ireland for nailing that literary description.
    [​IMG]

13. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    That exclusive art was neat -- Chancey looked dead on as well, I thought.

Vernestra got done a little dirty in this book overall, both IU -- she kinda gets jacked around by the Council at least as much as Anakin did -- and the writing, which had her make a few random and to me out of character choices. But strangely she comes out the other end intact and still one of the more interesting characters in the overall story arc, even if she sort of glitched occasionally during this particular installment.

Supreme Leader Woke likes this.
  14. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Just a heads-up on an ebook sale for this title. I just grabbed the Kindle version for myself.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2022
    whostheBossk and AusStig like this.