main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The High Republic: Path of Vengeance by Cavan Scott

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, May 27, 2022.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Didn't realize it was that long. I still have Cataclysm in my reading pile - should that be read first or does it matter?

devilinthedetails likes this.
  2. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Personally, I'd recommend reading Cataclysm first even though I think Path of Vengeance is the superior book.

Both are good reads, though. :)

AusStig and Dawud786 like this.
  3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Guess Cataclysm will be my next daytime read.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  4. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    Cataclysm goes over the main events of the battle while Path of Vengeance mainly sticks to the main characters of it's book (who weren't in Cataclysm much).

So yes reading Cataclysm first probably would be the best idea so you get a sense of what is going on in the overall story.

5. HMTE

HMTE Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 7, 2021
    Here is a question for discussion. Yana is established pretty consistently as someone who does not believe in the Force. And yet I'm fairly certain she sees the Jedi using their powers during the Battle of Dalna. I know that there are a few other characters in Star Wars, both in Legends and in mainline Canon, who don't believe in the Force but have witnessed Force users utilizing their powers. For atheists and agnostics in the Star Wars universe, are Force powers seen as just a byproduct of a genetic quirk? Or is it thought of as a bunch of smoke and mirrors, like a magic trick.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2023
    AusStig likes this.
  6. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Delivery lady brought my copy of Path of Vengeance today. I finished Cataclysm yesterday so good timing!

7. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Certainly I think one can acknowledge that some kind of power exists without accepting all the religious interpretations of what that power means - I am reminded of the scenario of the fireplace that talks and tell you it is god: something supernatural is occurring, but you don't know if it is actually god or some other thing pretending to be god - and in this time period in particular there are multiple force religions active in the galaxy with their own interpretations of what is going on, so I could see a skeptic deciding they are all wrong and are making a religion out of something scientific.

Plus there are devices that can mimic force powers in both legends and canon, so I could see some people finding it easier to believe that the jedi have a lot of hidden, high tech devices on them than because they were chosen by a magical space energy.

QuinlanSolo, HMTE and AusStig like this.
  8. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Chosen One star 4

Mar 28, 2004
    I am glad that this phase is over as I was very frustrated with the Path.
    I liked some elements of the phase, but the Path and Marda were a bit too much for me (maybe because I know a person IRL who was a bit like her sans the turning violent part).

She also reminded me of that Principle Skinner moment from The Simpsons

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2023
  9. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    Really like this book, it is character-focused like Path of Deceit, but more action-packed (although the ending is a bit rushed) and a good conclusion both to the Phase 2 and vol 2 of the main comic series.

Come to think of it, manipulating emotions (to the point of causing love) via using the Force instead of direct control or extracting information is not a frequent story element, but it is truly terrifying, not surprising that poor Marda became so extreme after all revelations. The ending reminded me of The Legend of Korra season 1 finale, only if
    the Lieutenant liquidated Amon.
    Elecia's motivation was rather banal, but it seems fitting for a "backstory villain" - even if her goals and tactics were not very sophisticated, she still caused enough harm to change the future for the worst.

Planet X remined of both Skull Island (especially during the chase)
    [​IMG]
    and planet from Alien: Covenant. With planet itself being so aggressive toward Force-users, seems quite possible that it is a former Sith biolab, maybe Darth Caldoth's one.

Regarding connections with Phase 1 - in case of Marda further clarifications are welcomed, but not that much needed - it is clear from the ending that she will continue her crusade against abusers of the Force and it is not surprising that after some time she or her descendants became much more radicalized. Leveler was frozen most likely because it became too old. But situation with Mari definitely needs more details.

AusStig likes this.
  10. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Finished the book.

I think I said else where the YA books are the key part of this Phase.

It's a good story, explains some other stories and gives us more info on the creatures and the mother.

11. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Yeah really enjoyed this, glad I read it before Cataclysm. I'd have it up there as one of my favourite High Republic stories.

Also huge ZS vibes from Planet X, which are surely intentional?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2023
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  12. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    Maybe so, although Planet X seems more malicious.

Jedi Ben, Xander Vos and AusStig like this.
  13. Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus Jedi Knight star 3

May 17, 2020
    Finally finished this book. It was pretty good, I guess, but it still leaves a lot of unanswered questions about the connections between the path of the open hand and the nihil.

Jedi Ben and AusStig like this.
  14. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    There's a story in Tales of Light and Life that makes those connections more.

15. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, that just so happens to be next for me.

As to this one? I liked a lot of it:

Each iteration of the Path, be it Open Hand or Closed Fist, is driven by envy and resentment. It makes for a very realistic but also infuriating villain in every instance.

Marda remains a static idiot across Phase II, while burning down any escaoe route going. In the end all that outlives her is the desire to be free of all constraints, all rules. It also seems pretty certain Marchion would be on the menu of the Levellers he has freed. That they feed on any Force-sensitive, regardless of ability, is entirely logical, but it also means they will feed on just about everyone!

As to the Mother, it is a pathetic tale, which is something running through the entire HR story. They are very much going with Arendt's banality of evil concept. Evil isn't grandiose or magnificent, it's petty, small minded crap from individuals that embody it. Not only that but the Mother drew the wrong conclusion - the Jedi didn't take her because her ability was too dangerous as it was.

AusStig and Foreign32567 like this.