main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V The High Republic: Tempest Runner- Audio Drama by Cavan Scott

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Mar 29, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I agree the fear will be there - I do wonder how justified it is, the two things are very different things.

How many also nab the audiobooks for free via Audible trial? Probably never get an answer on this one.

2. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    https://www.starwars.com/news/tempest-runner-hardcover

Fans can soon revisit the story of the villainous Lourna Dee — in a whole new way.

StarWars.com is excited to reveal that Star Wars: The High Republic: Tempest Runner, an audiobook original published earlier this year, will be released as a script in book form on March 1, 2022. In Tempest Runner, a group of Jedi continue their search for Lourna Dee, one of the marauding Nihil’s deadliest leaders. The hardcover version will include Scott’s stage directions, written sound effects, and notes to the audio team; you can get first look at the cover below.

[​IMG]

“I’m really excited that Tempest Runner is following in the steps of Dooku: Jedi Lost and Doctor Aphra in getting a physical script book edition,” Scott tells StarWars.com. “Not only is it useful for the kind of people who need to know exactly how character’s names are spelled (and yes, and I am definitely one of those people), it’s also really important for folk with a hearing impairment. Now everyone can share Lourna Dee’s story, while also getting a little glimpse behind the curtain of how we make these audio adventures.”

Get ready to ride with Lourna Dee and the Nihil one more time.

Star Wars: The High Republic: Tempest Runner hardcover edition arrives March 1, 2022, and is available for pre-order now; the audiobook original is available now.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Finished the audio drama this week. I really enjoy these full cast works quite a bit. I liked this one more than Aphra but not as much as Dooku: Jedi Lost. Cast did well, for the most part- there's only a couple moments where some minor characters are clearly the same actor in a secondary role (and usually only when in back to back scenes/chapters with their primary role). The main corrections officer/counselor has a great sound to his voice (I have to have heard him somewhere else, I swear). And the brief portrayal of a Colicoid (or was it a droid, I forget? damn) has this really cool processing effect applied to it that makes it sound like a voice clip from an early-90's CD-ROM game.

I do find it interesting that these recent three have all been done in some form of flashback structure, though. Dooku, with Ventress going through records; Aphra, with her telling things through a personal log of past events; and, now, Tempest Runner through flashbacks and reminiscences.

Each have had different levels of success with that structure. Aphra probably pulls it off best because it fits the character and facilitates the comic adaptation nature of the story well. Jedi Lost I actually really wish wasn't in flashbacks, because it functions as a great pre-TPM story (introducing the various Jedi of previous generations) if you could ignore the "spoiler" of the near-TCW-era frame story. However, it does the frame story well and the Ventress angle does have merit.

Tempest Runner, though, falls decidedly more into the "I wish this was linear" category. It's not bad the way it is, but the sheer number of flashbacks it covers interrupts the momentum of the frame story too often and makes it feel like a clip show. I'd have rather the story either been linear, or had the flashbacks condensed into meatier-sized "then" and "now" portions. The various side characters gradually coming together for the finale would have built much smoother without the interuptions.

The story also has a bit of a side quest vibe to it, as long as I'm remembering the last THR novel's concluding circumstances correctly. It basically ends how it begins. The story begins with Pan Eyta believed dead and Lourna bad and in charge of her Tempest. But then Pan Eyta is shown to be alive, Lourna loses her Tempest and almost has a redemption arc. But, by the end, Pan Eyta is dead and Lourna is bad and in charge of her Tempest.

Which doesn't make it a bad story, of course- you do get some character development with a believably legit breaking moment for Lourna, and you certainly understand her far better now. Plus flashbacks do depict some key history moments. But there's a reset button vibe looming over things. Understandable that they wouldn't want an audio drama to be required listening between adult novels for readers- but a concern now moot with the script book announced.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
  4. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    I have a feeling that ambiguity of details about the murder of Asgar Ro in this audio drama is due to the fact that some other player (not one of the Nihil) will be revealed as the real killer in one of the adult novels.

JediFett10 and The2ndQuest like this.
  5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    If anything, this almost suggests it was Marchion in some way. But, you're right, it could be anyone.

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Scriptbook is available for preorder at SpeedyHen for £14.85.

7. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    Did this get a CD release? I really wish they'd start putting these on cd.

It's bad enough I can't get any of the Disney shows on Bluray, now these audio dramas. Some of us still like things on shelves!

8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Nope, digital only. Only thing you can put on your shelf will be the script book (which works for me).

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Wow, the scriptbook is huge. Easily twice the size of the Aphra hardback.

whostheBossk likes this.
  10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    So I have been making my way through phase 1 and 2 of the high republic adult novels.

I really wish the chronological order that’s listed in every book included the young adult novels as well.

oh well

anyway Lourna Dee sucks ass. I like the audio drama but boy

I can’t wait for her to meet a horrible ending. I really thought she was going to get redeemed.

also I laughed out loud when they said top or bottom. I see what you were doing there Cavan.

11. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Don't count on spoiler happening any time soon.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Oh ai know I don’t expect it to happen until the end of the high republic publishing initiative

13. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    spoilers for end of phase 1 and start of phase 3.
    Since she is betryaed by Ro and seems to be aliging with the Jedi, she might get a fully unearned redemption.

14. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    Lourna is Starscream-type character, she will probably betray her new allies and ultimately get what she deserve, although at the end Dee can acknowledge that she was indeed a horrible person.

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, I can go with;

Who disrupts my coronation?
    I, Marchion.

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Boo!

17. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Coronation? This is bad comedy!

I hope at then end Ro (or someone else) is told to "proceed, on your way to oblivion"

Jedi Ben and Foreign32567 like this.
  18. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    Well, Nameless' homeworld can count as evil planet, so there is a solid chance for it.

AusStig likes this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Finally got around to this, think I'm about halfway through.

This is a real slog of a story. Scott clearly thinks Dee is far more interesting than she is. She lacks Aphra's walking the line of hero and villain. She doesn't have Dooku's charisma. She is a psychopath and nothing more.

I'll get through it somehow but, of the three audio productions, this is the weakest by far.

Golbolco likes this.
  20. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I was really disappointed with the ending of this story and honestly I am now just hoping against hope she dies in phase 3.

Golbolco and Jedi Ben like this.
  21. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Marchion, is that you?
    Here's a hint *pulls out giant laser*

Foreign32567 and Jedi Ben like this.
  22. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    Yeah, she is clearly one of his favourite characters.

Well, he has one
    [​IMG]

whostheBossk and MercenaryAce like this.
  23. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Yeah I wanted to reference that one specifically but I wasn't sure how to describe it without getting too wordy for a joke.

whostheBossk likes this.