main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics The high Republic: The Edge of Balance (manga)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Volume 2 has arrived.

There will be a volume 3.

Pius Dea Crusader likes this.
  2. Pius Dea Crusader

Pius Dea Crusader Jedi Master

Nov 26, 2013
    Do we know is it will be published now in Phase II? Or if it will be a direct continuation and it will wait to Phase III?

3. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    It's a to be continued page, not yet read it fully. So that suggests it'll be a Phase I or III story.

But will post again after I've read ot properly.

Edit - it's a great, quick read. (Practically a snack for @Sinrebirth) This finishes Phase I, so chronologically Volume 3 will probably be Phase III, especially with Phase II being shorter. These volumes need a bit more production time too.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
  4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Prequel series coming, The Edge of Balance: Precedent, by Daniel José Older and Tomio Ogata.
    [​IMG]

5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Did Volume 3 even reach English yet?

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Nope, no sign of it as yet.

Although I hadn't heard they were getting Japan first releases then translated?

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Precedent might technically be volume 3, unless volume 3 isn't coming until Phase 3. [face_dunno]

8. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    So, I finally got the digital version of volume 2. I really enjoy the artwork in this manga. Almost more the Western comics. There's something fresh about Star Wars in the manga style and how clean the ships and environments are. The Ban-Chii Temple design is gorgeous.

The dialogue, though, seems a little simplistic at times.

9. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Amazon synopsis:

10. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    And cover for Precedent-
    [​IMG]

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    About that - do not skip this!

The manga for Phase II has one of the most interesting structures - it starts post Phase I, flashes back to Phase II, then concludes back where it started, all to spin a tale of Arkoff's past.

There is a tendency to view a fast read as being automatically bad. This is not true and it is definitely not true here. The combination of time periods allows for a very neat pay-off in the conclusion.

12. jafo

jafo Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2001
    Just bought the kindle version of this as it’s on sale.
    Well worth a read. I enjoyed it.

Foreign32567, beetzello and Jedi Ben like this.
  13. beetzello

beetzello Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 17, 2002
    It was great! I bought it when it came out. Then I recently reread it after seeing Yoda with his "eyeless" pal in the Marvel High Republic Starlight Stories mini. Even better after the second reading!

14. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    Agree, decent epilogue for Phase II, tying up all loose ends regarding Azlin's records and also showing his better side. Arkoff vs Garot was a good "across the centuries" conflict akin to Porter vs Viess. Liked the Nihil's steampunk armor here and spider ship's depiction, IMO, would've been better if it was the general style for the Nihil fleet, somewhat like the Reapers.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2024
  15. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    But the Nihil are not the vanguard of our destruction. Our society did not develop using the mass relay technology, their technology. We do not exist becuase they allow it we will not end because the demand it.

But I can see the Nihil saying "This exchange is over".

MercenaryAce and Foreign32567 like this.
  16. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    "I am beyond your comprehension" also something Marchion can say.

17. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010

Well mr Ro your plans do defy, comprehension.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  18. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    No one really knows what his plans are.

19. DLCV

DLCV Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 14, 2020
  20. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Yes, having read Precedent I'd definitely say it's crucial reading going into Phase 3. Also fun getting a Sav cameo, might mean some Edge of Balance characters could cross over into The High Republic Adventures.

Jedi Ben likes this.