main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The High Republic: The Fallen Star by Claudia Gray

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Jul 23, 2021.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Comics are easy if you wait for the trade.

Daneira likes this.
  2. Darth Megatronus

Darth Megatronus Jedi Knight star 3

May 17, 2020
    Claudia Gray really likes parentheses…

3. Darth Megatronus

May 17, 2020
    Also I love knowing that a group of Wookiees is called a grove, and a group of Hutts is called a bulge.

4. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    She does that again? It's so strange. I don't recall her doing that in Lost Stars or Bloodline, but it was way overdone in Into the Dark and it took me out of the story.

bango31 likes this.
  5. Darth Megatronus

May 17, 2020
    Anyone else really tired of people always saying poodoo in place of ****? It’s such a dumb sounding word, plus it’s just odd we don’t hear many other curse words. I keep hearing about how SW is this vast universe with infinite potential for storytelling but everyone in the galaxy curses in Huttese. It’s like how Tatooine is supposed to be “farthest from the bright side of the universe” yet people everywhere in the galaxy are constantly making references to Jawas and banthas.

bango31 likes this.
  6. Foreign32567

Foreign32567 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 4, 2021
    This book reminded me of TCW final, in a good way.
    IMO, it was a right decision to focus only on characters and their attempts to save others (or themselves) during a disaster, even with the lack of politics and worldbuilding. Like that there were no physical confrontations with "Levelers". And their master finally became a calculating and cold-blooded villain again, after being constantly betrayed and outwitted by his subordinates during the second phase (I have a feeling that the group of authors is divided into "Team Marchion" and "Team Lourna", with Ireland and ,more obviously, Scott being in the latter). Well, the protagonist destroyed main station of the enemy, seems like a proper end of the first third of the story ;)

Slater and Sinrebirth like this.
  7. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Just started on this audio book

So the Nihil plan to cause a refugee crisis to help them sneak agents on to starlight. Cunning. Very cunning. This is more what I like from the Nihil they aren't going to take over the galaxy, but they can hurt the heroes.

Jedi Ben and Sinrebirth like this.
  8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
  9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Hawkeye Bro assessment of the Nihil:

Nihil - we are as gods.

You are no gods bro. Just sneaky bastards bro. Sneaky bastards are no gods bro.

AusStig and theorenwulf like this.
  10. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    Anyone else sometimes feel a strange disconnect between the books? Like you're missing something even though you've read everything? Like maybe the authors knew a story bit behind the scenes, but just dropped in without establishing it because they assumed it was already established when it wasn't (not saying it is that; just that it feels like that).

Example here in Fallen Star:
    Ghirra is offhandedly mentioned in the narration as being a Nihil contact. This is the first time she's mentioned in this book (having been introduced in Out of the Shadows) and the first time I can recall her having any sort of Nihil relationship. We switch to her POV shortly after (didn't even know she was on the station!) and the narration casually mentions standing by Marchion's side as an impactful memory, but we've never seen it.

Other prior examples would be the way the Drengir are introduced and seemingly resolved in Into the Dark, but then they pop up in other books and comics like this big known threat that's been going on for a while with no connective tissue. I'm also very unclear on when it was the Jedi came under the impression Lourna Dee was the Eye. Anyone else get this feeling while reading or am I just missing something?

bango31, my kind of scum and AusStig like this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    No. What you describe in the spoiler box is an out of nowhere moment. I am wondering how one of the other books will address it.

I think it is intended to be a surprise without any prior foreshadowing.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
    my kind of scum, AusStig and Link1130 like this.
  12. theorenwulf

theorenwulf Jedi Master star 2

Jul 12, 2015
    I get this feeling too and while the stuff in the spoiler box is something that works as a surprise reveal in my opinion, the Drengir and the Lourna Dee stuff definetely would have needed more explanation in my opinion and I felt pretty much the same about it, despite like you reading everything in the publishing intiative.

Link1130 likes this.
  13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I think the Dee aspect is covered in Tempest Runner - I'm waiting on the scriptbook before listening to it.

14. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    Marchion Ro's speech at the end of the book solidified him as a real threat to the Republic.

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm not convinced of that.

It was a good villain statement but Ro isn't all that. He's sneaking around wooing dumb Senators, killing Jedi with a demon and declaring himself well hard for being able to stab people from behind.

But beyond general mayhem? He doesn't have much. He's a thug with delusions of grandeur.

16. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    IMO, Marchion is a real threat not to the Republic itself, but to its morale spirit.

Ghost, JediFett10 and Jedi Ben like this.
  17. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    As someone who listened to the audio play. Without spoiling, it's not really.

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Interesting, really had the sense of it being a bigger missing piece from TFS alone.

19. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Not from what I have 'read' of TFS, it does tie in ( I think) but so far it's minor.

20. theorenwulf

theorenwulf Jedi Master star 2

Jul 12, 2015
    Have only listened to the first hour or so of the audio drama, since those really aren't my thing, but from that and some spoiler I've read and my knowledge of the current comic run I would say that the missing piece for TFS is probably more the last couple of issues of the High Republic comic and not Tempest Runner.

Jedi Ben and AusStig like this.
  21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Useful to know, thanks

22. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Just got it this evening and started reading....
    Geode's back!!!

23. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Marchion Ro is Euron Greyjoy, having escaped the purgatory of A Song of Ice and Fire and slipped into the Star Wars universe. No one can change my mind on this.

24. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Interesting......unlike Euron im sure Marchion Ro is going to get an ending.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
    Ghost, AusStig and SyndicThrass like this.
  25. Foreign32567

Jun 4, 2021
    Agree. IMO, it can well be author's intention, considering other references to ASoIaF (such as "seven hells").

SyndicThrass likes this.