main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics The High Republic: The Monster of Temple Peak by Cavan Scott (graphic novel)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    AusStig, Merric, DarthJaceus and 5 others like this.
  2. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I’m liking that blaster pistol she is wearing.

I think a Jedi who trains in the art of using a blaster pistol (stun setting included), could help them in certain situations. But for some reason/traditions, other then the post Order 66 world, it seems Jedi never carried them. I wonder if the lack of blasters, was influenced by their generations of fighting the Sith. I could see cons to using a blaster pistol against a Sith. Other then blocking shots, a Sith could use the force to pull the blaster away/explode.

She is not like your usual Jedi, she is a mercenary and probably a former Jedi.

3. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    This cover makes me drool. I want to read this for the art alone.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  4. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Rachael Stott is awesome. She's done some great Doctor Who comics.

Jedi Knight88 likes this.
  5. Jedi Knight88

Jedi Knight88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2018
    Glad someone else knows who she is. She is Amazing

6. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    So this is going to be a fancier, High Republic "Vader's Castle" style thing?

Cool, I'm in!

7. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    It's a shame Scott seems to be sticking mainly to the Comics side of this as having just finished his short story in FACPOV I can tell he's an author I would love to read more from.

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    And then you found The Rising Storm thread.

Looks like the lead Jedi here will be in that too.

Xander Vos likes this.
  9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    This looks very different

10. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Toss a credit to your jedier then? ;p

Seriously, I am intrigued to see what looks like an ex-jedi that hasn't gone off the deep-end to the darkside, and I am curious what kind of monsters she hunts that make her distinct from the normal big game hunters of star wars.

11. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Consider me down for this one. The cover is outstanding!

Jedi Ben likes this.
  12. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Oh, I only just now put two and two together from the posts in this thread -- I guess I've been overwhelmed by the flood of announcements and new characters! So the Tholothian on this cover is the same character as in Cavan Scott's The Rising Storm -- Ty Yorrick, "a Force-sensitive monster hunter with a mysterious past" and "saber-for-hire".

I really like the idea of a "saber-for-hire" (and I also like her blade color). I'm reminded of the monster-hunting characters and setting in Doctor Aphra Annual 2; maybe I will re-read that back-to-back with this once it's out. Doctor Aphra Annual 2 had an outstanding artist, Caspar Wijngaard, that really raised my anticipation for its release; similarly, I'm looking through Rachael Stott's art right now and I'm eager to see more:

13. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Excuse me, but did I just read "former Jedi turned monster-hunting Saber-for-hire"?

This is my new favorite character in all of Star Wars.

14. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Any idea on a release date? Can't find any pre-orders for it so far.

AusStig and Jedi Ben like this.
  15. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Cavan Scott posted today "We haven't released a publication date for that one just yet." His THR novel, The Rising Storm, had its release date announced last month (July 6th, 2021).

Jedi Ben and Jedi Daniel like this.
  16. KerkKorpil

KerkKorpil Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2016
    No mention in today's next wave announcements (that includes a previously unannounced book). It's not listed on books.disney.com (anymore? can't remember if it was ever there).

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Until we have actual confirmation of cancellation, we take it easy.

Nothing to see here, move along.

The other aspect is I would much more prefer they give Stott the production time she needs for the art, then confirm a realistic release date that won't change than rush it to fit an arbitrary timetable.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, that's a shame.

It sounds like the issues will be oversized, at least in terms if page count. But it's a pity they didn't stick with the GN as that's less constrained than the issue format.

20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Graphic novel doesn't preclude being released as separate parts- look at the ur-example of Watchmen. I don't imagine this will be the typical thin af Marvel trade when it's done, but something that more closely resembles a typical novel. Otherwise they wouldn't still be calling it a graphic novel on TOS, or, y'know, the cover.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    There's a huge amount of latitude in how the term graphic novel is used. So it'll get confusing if we go that way, so instead....

What I'm getting at is there's a difference when you read a 100 page story written and drawn as a 100 page compared to a 100 page story broken into four 25 page sections.

It'll be a good story either way, the trade will be a good buy, but I would have found a full work more intriguing because we've rarely had that in SW, if ever.

22. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    But even the 100-page story broken into four 25-page sections in this case was written and drawn as one 100-page story. They're just releasing it in pieces. So while we experience it in real time it'll be different, but come TPB time there will be no difference. (Except now IDW can sell four times the variant covers if they want to!)

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oho? That sounds far better.

I'd be buying the trade in any case but that makes the decision to release it in four sliced up parts appear even odder to me, but it doesn't matter much.

Trade will probably be out on December so as to not compete with the probable Jan books.

24. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    [​IMG]
    (W) Cavan Scott (A/CA) Rachael Stott
    Follow former Jedi turned saber-for-hire monster hunter Ty Yorrick in her first comic appearance in this all-new High Republic miniseries by Cavan Scott and Rachael Stott!

Ty is a brave yet superstitious monster hunter, traversing the galaxy with KL-03 and her trusty rune-stones fighting the deadliest monsters on any world. After dealing with an escaped Drewen being transported to the Republic Fair, Ty heads to Loreth, where local pioneers have tasked her with taking on the fearsome Gretalax that terrorizes them. She takes the mission but can't shake the feeling that something is amiss with the Force.
    In Shops: Aug 11, 2021

Daneira and SWpants like this.
  25. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    [​IMG]
    (W) Cavan Scott (A/CA) Rachael Stott
    In Shops: Sep 08, 2021

Daneira likes this.