main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The History of Shmi: What ties does she have?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Gabricjen, Jun 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gabricjen

Gabricjen Jedi Master star 3

Dec 16, 2003
    Interesting...

Anakin claims in TPM that he and Shmi were sold to Gardulla the Hutt when he was 3. Shmi is taken by Sand People in AOTC and eventually dies in Anakin's hands, which then brings out Anakin's first anger outrage and slaughter. Palpatine teaches Anakin the Darth Plagueis story in ROTS and says that he may have had the ability to create life. The obvious conclusion some have had is that Darth Plagueis may have created Anakin since he had no birth father. I wonder what kind of background is known about Shmi. Did Plagueis hand pick Shmi to carry the Chosen One or was it just the Force that choses? Did he even play a part in this? The funny thing is, in TPM, there is the Darth Maul theme music that starts while Quigon is talking to ObiWan on the intercom. Shmi gives QuiGon a strange look and there is evil music playing. I always wondered if Shmi was a sith. Now that ROTS is out, I guess it was QuiGon who might of thought of that!

ps...another funny sidebar...Yoda has a line in AOTC that mirrors my avatar. "Liam, the shades" is spoken by Yoda when ObiWan asks the youngling where his wayward planet Kamino is...funny

2. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I don't think she played any part in the Sith's plans. I personally don't think she knew Plagius and I don't think Palpatine had her kidnapped.

3. Princess_Amidala

Princess_Amidala Jedi Youngling

Jun 1, 2005
    This was said on another thread was it not

4. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    Since the movies only hint at things (and those hints are by Palpatine, who's a liar anyway), it's safe to say that virgin birth was the will of the Force.

5. Yin-Jun

Yin-Jun Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 1, 2002
    Well, I always thought that Plagueis created Anakin for one soul purpose, and that was to overthrow Sidious, because Plagueis knew deep down his apprentice would overthrow him at some point, but was not In control of It, and couldn't prevent It, so he created Anakin to take out Sidious, so when Sidious thought he had things under control, and had taken out Plagueis thinking he's won the 'sith battle of the Master title' Plagueis was basically laughing thinking he hasn't got away with It, as what I've created will become more powerful than him, and he'll get some of his own treatment back, or something along those lines, who knows this Is all open for discussion anyhows. [face_love]

6. Master_Shaitan

Master_Shaitan Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2004
    If anyone created anakin it was palpatine as that was the preconception in the making of book and its implied in ROTS when Paapy calls him 'son' etc. It makes sense to me that palpy created him after learning how to do this from plagueis.

As for Shmi this talk of her being a sith is, shall we say, a little far fetched.

I like to think of her as a virgin handmaiden. Palpatine chose her and did his thing!

He then sent her to tatooine in order to do the same thing the jedi did with the twins - keep them out of reach and secret, so the jedi couldnt sense him. if h were a sith straight away their presence would have been felt thus destroying their plan.

[Perhaps Shmi was a handmaiden on Naboo? Palpy was from naboo...Maybe she's padme's mother too (there is a three-four years age gap between padme and anakin!!!). That makes Anakin, Padmes BROTHER! AHHHHHH!! No wonder Luke was so screwed up and tried to bed his sister!]

Now thats a wacky theory for you!

7. Ironflak

Ironflak Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 25, 2002
    Accordng to the "Making of Revenge of the Sith" book, an early draft of thel script for ROTS had a scene where Palpatine tells Anakin that he learned Plagueis' secret of manipulating the midichlorians to create life. Palpatine tells Anakin that he manipulated the midiclorians to conceive a life inside of Shmi's womb and that, in a way, he was Anakin's father. Apparently, Lucas and his advisors thought there was already a revelatory "I am your father" moment and the saga didn't need another one. So it was changed to be more subtle. But, there was apparently already some thinking that went down this road.

8. iKillBabyJedis

iKillBabyJedis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2005
    Schmi had her secrets thats for sure. I always got a Ex Street Hooker vibe from her. Maybe she was livin off the streets just trying to pay for her Meth addiction and one day she gets pregnant from one of her clients. So she sells herself to Watto and gets bought. Then she trys to change herself like a converted NuN and raises Anakin.

The question is who was her client? In my mind it could of very well been Darth Plagueis himself.

IMO

9. jedi no sensei

jedi no sensei Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 1999
    Perhaps I'll have to go elsewhere to find the reason for this, but why on Earth would Darth Palagius want to create Anakin, a Jedi, to destroy the Sith :confused: Doesn't that seem a bit silly?

If the goal of the Sith was truly to get revenge, creating Anakin wouldn't help that cause.

If you can't beat them, join them [face_thinking]

I don't think so.

Jedi no Sensei

10. Lufta Shif

Lufta Shif Jedi Master star 2

May 31, 2000
    Shmi knew Anakin was destined for greatness. She knew he was special, but was unsure why.

In TPM, I always thought Maul's hovering spy droid (sorry, I cannot recall the technical name right now...) says "the boy..." when it returns from its scouting mission and reports to back to Maul.

I am stretching a bit here, but perhaps Maul went to Tatooine to also protect Anakin from Jedi influences or kill him before he was taken away.

Palpatine is good at manipulating unforeseen events in his favor and, as we see in ROTS, almost everything does go according to his plan in the end.

11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Anakin claims in TPM that he and Shmi were sold to Gardulla the Hutt when he was 3.

Yes.

Shmi is taken by Sand People in AOTC and eventually dies in Anakin's hands, which then brings out Anakin's first anger outrage and slaughter. Palpatine teaches Anakin the Darth Plagueis story in ROTS and says that he may have had the ability to create life. The obvious conclusion some have had is that Darth Plagueis may have created Anakin since he had no birth father.

Actually, it was Darth Sidious. But Lucas changed that to make it ambiguous. Also, Palpatine tells Anakin Dooku had his mother killed. But Lucas dropped that all together.

I wonder what kind of background is known about Shmi.

Very little. As it stands, her family was killed a long time back. And she was a slave before being sold to Gardulla, I believe.

Did Plagueis hand pick Shmi to carry the Chosen One or was it just the Force that choses?

I believe that it was the Force that did this and not the Sith.

Did he even play a part in this?

Probably not. Palpatine, maybe.

The funny thing is, in TPM, there is the Darth Maul theme music that starts while Quigon is talking to ObiWan on the intercom. Shmi gives QuiGon a strange look and there is evil music playing. I always wondered if Shmi was a sith. Now that ROTS is out, I guess it was QuiGon who might of thought of that!

No, Maul's theme was played as a transisition to the next scene, which was his arrival. It's happened before in Star Wars. TESB and ROTJ to name two. As to the look, she heard the conversation he had with Obi-wan. She never heard of Midichlorians before and was most likely baffled by what the two Jedi were saying about Anakin. That he has this high number of Midichlroians and that he's apparently got more than someone known as Yoda. That even Qui-gon is clueless as to what it means for Anakin.

12. MovieTrailerMusic

MovieTrailerMusic Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 17, 2004
  13. DARK_HELMET_05

DARK_HELMET_05 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 27, 2005
    i actually think palps was b/sing when he told anakin about plaguies and the life creator secret. i actually think there was a man called plaguies, but there was never a life prolonging secret.

just my opinion though.

14. Nihilist

Nihilist Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2005
    No ties..she was chosen by the force. Could have been random but I'd rather believe there was a reason..and I have my beliefs as to why, but it's not important, just think about her as a person, who she is, what she says and does.

15. Everloony

Everloony Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 2005
    If Anakin is the Chosen One of the Force, then the Force itself chose Shmi as a mother, not the Sith. Besides, the Sith would've had much more of an influence on Anakin from the early years on if this had been the case. They would've killed Shmi right after childbirth and taken him in.

And would the Sith really need a mother? They could incubate the fetus in some sort of machine, or implant it in some willing woman...why go through all the trouble?

16. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    She had those ties around her wrists right before she "became one with the force."

And everything Sinister said is correct...if you read the Making of Episode III book (I wish everyone who posted here would get it, since it helps to clear up so many ambiguous points) in an initial draft Palpatine was going to tell Anakin that Dooku set up the whole thing.

It was cut, as sin said, to make it more ambiguous, which I think, in the end, was a good choice.

As has been said many times on these boards, we do not need everything to be spelled out for us. The fact that we still have questions after Episode III is a good thing, it shows the depth of the series.
    It's a good thing that it can be interpreted various ways.

17. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I think that it was just bad timing that the Tuskens took and tortured Shmi. In ANH, they didn't kill Luke. They dragged him to his speeder so that they could rummage around through it, before taking off with him.

18. Darth_Telligentsia

Darth_Telligentsia Jedi Youngling

Sep 24, 2002
    In Ep2, Count Dooku tricks the Jedi by telling them the truth: "What if I told you that the Republic was now under the control of the Dark Lords of the Sith?... Hundreds of Senators are now under the influence of a Sith named Darth Sidious."

So, for me, "Palpatine is a Sith Lord and therefore must be lying" isn't a very strong objection to the possibility that Palpatine is responsible for Anakin's creation. True, he *could* be lying, but this is not necessarily so. He could simply be using the truth to his own advantage.

Furthermore, the objection that Darth Plagueis would want to "create Anakin, a Jedi, to destroy the Sith," implies that he was created with that intention, namely destroying the Sith. Rather, the Sith would have created Anakin to be an apprentice. The fact that he was picked up by Qui-Gon to become a Jedi could have been the "will of the Force" using the actions of the Sith for its own purpose. While the Sith think they are manipulating the midichlorians to their own ends, isn't it just as possible (not to mention ironic), that the "will of the Force" is actually manipulating the Sith by allowing their own destructive purposes to destroy them?

[Also, the fact that there is a dark age of Sith rule for about 25 years does not imply that this is the "will of the Force." Anakin could have *chosen* to terminate Palpatine right then and there in the Chancellor's office in Ep3, thus fulfilling the prophecy, but he chooses to work against it, forestalling the intended results.]

Other objections raised here are more interesting. "Meditate on this, I will."

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Yoda: "Lies, deceit, creating mistrust are his ways now."

Palpatine: "I am the only one who has the power to save Padme."

Palpatine: "The power to cheat death has only been achieved by one other. But together, I'm sure that we can find the answer."

Total ******* lie.

The following is from the TPM screenplay.

The JEDI KNIGHT looks up and sees SHMI in the doorway watching him. Embarrassed, she goes back into the kitchen while QUI-GON ponders the situation.

So that's the look on her face.

20. princessleia911

princessleia911 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2005
    GL has said many times that Anakin was a child of the Force and was not created by the Sith or the Jedi(including Plagueis or Sidious). Shmi was chosen for the goodness of her character to bear the child of the Force. He has also said that Anakin was jealous of his mother's clear love for her new family.

21. Darth_Callidus

Darth_Callidus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2005
    If Shmi was manipulated in some way to conceive Anakin by the sith I believe she had no knowledge of it. As for if the force created Anakin, I guess you could say yes even if the sith had a hand in it, the force works even through the sith, just cause a person is sith doesn't make them not connected to the force.
    Also there would be really no relation of Anakin to palpatine seeing how his blood never mixed to make Anakin, Anakin would basically have been a creation from his mother only.
    pretty sure the sith know of the chosen one theory and wanted the chosen one for them selves, jedi and sith are servants of the force and the chosen one was to bring balance never said the light side or dark side would rule in that balance, just bring balance period. some fun thinking about all of this sure GL has something up his sleeve and it lets us use our imaginations, hopefully we will know the truth someday, but till then it's okay to disagree and have fun guessing.

22. Yaddle_Fantasy

Yaddle_Fantasy Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2005
    Palpatine tells Anakin that he manipulated the midiclorians to conceive a life inside of Shmi's womb and that, in a way, he was Anakin's father.

This is hard to imagine. Did he do it in a lab? :/ Did he remotely do some weird mystical procedure? :/ Not saying either is true, but wonder more about how he "manipulated".

23. Darth_Telligentsia

Darth_Telligentsia Jedi Youngling

Sep 24, 2002
    Darth-Sinister, thank you for the backup. That Yoda response directly refers to Dooku's statement that there is a Sith Lord, Darth Sidious, manipulating the Senate. If Dooku can use the truth to manipulate people, how much more Palpatine?

As to the two contradictory Palpatine quotes, they do create something of a formal contradiction. Those who think Palpatine *does* have the power will see the second statement as the lie, because if he does have the power, and if he did kill his master Darth Plagueis after learning it, he certainly isn't going to repeat his master's mistake by telling Anakin. It would be reliquishing his hold over his apprentice. On the other hand, those who think Palpatine *doesn't* have the power will see the first as a lie.

However, these statements are not *necessarily* contradictory, if read in a certain context:

1) I am the only one who has the power (that is, general dark side Sith lore) to save Padme.

2) The power (that is, knowledge necessary) to defeat death has only been achieved by one other, but together I'm sure we can find the answer.

Just some thoughts on that point.

I wholeheartedly agree that Shmi has no idea of what has happened to her in the scene in Ep1, though this doesn't provide us any evidence either way when discussing Anakin's origins.

24. Gabricjen

Gabricjen Jedi Master star 3

Dec 16, 2003
    thanks for all the rebuttles. interesting info

25. QuiGon06

QuiGon06 Jedi Youngling

May 16, 2005
    In ROTS when Palps is telling Anakin about DP, he says something along the lines of "luckily he was able to pass on his powers to his aprentice" This definitely implies that Palps knews how to save lives and create lives. I DO think that Palps is Anakin's father...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.