main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The History of Shmi: What ties does she have?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Gabricjen, Jun 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Sidious: "The power to cheat death has only been accomplished by one other. But together, I'm sure we can find the answers."

He never said create life, just cheat death.

2. Gabricjen

Gabricjen Jedi Master star 3

Dec 16, 2003
    Thanks for the quote Sinister. Creating life was never an issue. THat was just Sidious telling Anakin where he came from basically, to seduce him more. I am sure it is true. And yes Sidious would have created Anakin, not Plagueis.

3. forever_jedi

forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 2002
    In any event, the one TRUE reason why Palpatine and Anakin ***MUST*** be related is because the entire SW saga is about FAMILY. Luke and Leia are related to each other, who in turn are related to Anakin and Padme (all of whom are central characters), so it's only natural that since Luke had to confront his own father, that Anakin should also confront his. I guess you can really can say "the circle is now complete".

Even more so than FAMILY, Star Wars is the story of FATHERS AND SONS. Ian Mcdairmid said in his interview (on Hyperspace now) that Star Wars could be subtitled "Fathers and Sons."

Which is why it doesn't make sense that Plagueis, a being we never see, created Anakin. It's Palpatine. He's Anakin's creator, his "father" of sorts. And in a way, from TPM to RotJ, is the tale of this evil father and his "son", and how at the very end, the son is able to let go of his father's influence with the help of his own son.

As for Shmi, I think she was an innocent in all this. A slave who became an experiment in Palpatine's hands, perhaps on Naboo. (Wouldn't it be interesting if both Anakin AND Padme are from Naboo?) Yet, she felt that her son was very special and wanted only the best life and destiny for him.

4. starwarsagent

starwarsagent Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    Darth plagueis was Shmi.

if no one believes it, then how do you think she created anakin on her own womb? she used the force and the midiclorians to do it. Shimi was the phantom menace. amazing isnt it?

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It can still be fathers and sons, without Palpatine being related to Anakin. Anakin saw Obi-wan as a father figure. Obi-wan saw Qui-gon as a father figure. Lucas said that Obi-wan was made to be the good father figure, while Vader was the evil father.

So you have figures who serve as a father and son, but also the actual father and son conflict.

6. starwarsagent

Jul 4, 2004
    yes but doesnt this mean that if darth plagueis creates life. like anakin. how did shmi meet him and where and how? because he had to use her womb as a way to deliver him.

methinks we got good EU stuff here.

7. Grilled-Sarlacc

Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 19, 2001
    I don't think she played any part in the Sith's plans. I personally don't think she knew Plagius and I don't think Palpatine had her kidnapped.

I concur. /ki-adi

8. Dan26

Dan26 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 26, 2002
    It is a ridicuous assumption to suggest that either Plagueis of Sidious created Shmi.

If true, that would be an enourmous plot point, and one that would require a lot of explaining, not just a brief line in one scene, about a charcter we never see.

This Jedi prophecy we hear about has, apparently been around for thousands of years. There would one day be an individual who would bring balance to the force. We know that this individual is Anakin, because he does in fact fulfill the prophecy in Episode VI, which should eradicate all the theories about him being created by the Sith.

Palpatine's story to Anakin about Plagueis simply makes us doubt whether the prophecy is true. Those that watch the films in order, might think that the prophecy was indeed mis-read (as Yoda said) and perhaos the Sith did create him. But at the end of Return of the Jedi, those fears are alleviated and we realise that the force created Anakin. The midi-chlorians created him as Qui-Gon believed, and he was the chosen one to bring balance.

Sidious or Plagueis creating Anakin is just too stupid to believe. It would totally destroy the film, and it makes no sense. At all. Why impregante a random woman on a faraway world like Shmi if they want to create life? Why not do it in a controlled environement? They wouldn't even know if Anakin was even born and if this ability to create life even worked.

Sidious creating Anakin is the typical stupid theory from those people who think that Sidious can plan his farts 8 years in advance. It makes no sense. None.

9. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    As for Shmi, I think she was an innocent in all this. A slave who became an experiment in Palpatine's hands, perhaps on Naboo.

If Palpatine created Anakin, he wouldn't have left him like that. He would have raised him from birth to be a Sith. Yet each time I say this, people ignore it.

10. Nihilist

Nihilist Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2005
    I agree with the last two posters. The force alone created anakin. No sith were involved. That destroys the meaning of the entire saga.

11. JANGOANTILLES

JANGOANTILLES Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2005
    Wacky Theory #2405067:palpatine siced the Sand People on Shimi!

12. Sima_Sith

Sima_Sith Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 11, 2005
    in TPM, i think there is a line, "I think the mediclorians may have concieved him" or something like that because there was no father. i bet Shmi had a very high count, not as high as anakin though

13. StarWarsFanSince1977

StarWarsFanSince1977 Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2005
    It is so clear that Palpatine lied about DP so he could convince Anakin to serve the dark side. He needed a way to push Anakin slightly. This was it."Let me tell him about this guy who found a power to manipulate living and I'll have him."

It makes a lot more sense when it is not something that is thought about so deeply.

14. D_Lowe

Aug 15, 2002
    in TPM, i think there is a line, "I think the mediclorians may have concieved him" or something like that because there was no father

"There was no father."
    --Shmi Skywalker in TPM

"It's possible he was conceived by the midi-chlorians."
    --Qui-Gon Jinn

15. forever_jedi

forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 2002
    If Palpatine created Anakin, he wouldn't have left him like that. He would have raised him from birth to be a Sith. Yet each time I say this, people ignore it.

I wonder why Luke and Leia were not trained as Jedi from birth. Luke was left with his Uncle and Aunt.

Palpatine raising Anakin to be a Sith from birth would have caused problems: primarily with his current apprentices, who he needed for doing his work for him. It was actually a great strategy to leave him on an Outer Rim planet where the Jedi were normally not testing babies. And what better way to prime a future Sith than have him be helpless as a slave for the first 9 years of his life?

In any case, there are those who cannot believe that the Prophecy implied that the "Chosen One" was a Sith. And there are those of us who do believe that. GL has left it such that both groups are satisfied.

16. D_Lowe

Aug 15, 2002
    Palpatine raising Anakin to be a Sith from birth would have caused problems: primarily with his current apprentices, who he needed for doing his work for him.

You really don't know power, do you? Palpatine would have done it from the beginning and never went with Maul in the first place. However, if he already had Maul and he thought about doing it, he would have dumped him (or killed him) and started with Anakin instead because he would be the better one. That would be smart, and you know it. Especially when it comes to evil and power.

17. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    You really don't know power, do you? Palpatine would have done it from the beginning and never went with Maul in the first place. However, if he already had Maul and he thought about doing it, he would have dumped him (or killed him) and started with Anakin instead because he would be the better one. That would be smart, and you know it. Especially when it comes to evil and power.

That is why I believe that Sidious discovered Anakin after the Battle of Naboo.

"We will watch your career with great interest."

18. Aeneas_Falco

Aeneas_Falco Jedi Youngling star 2

May 19, 2005
    I personally don't believe Plagueis created Anakin. I think the bit about Plagueis having powers over life & death was nothing more than Palpatine spinning a tall tale with the intent of making Anakin more open to experimenting with the dark side. I think Anakin was created by the will of the Force, & Palpatine just ran into him by chance & exploited his weaknesses.

Additionally there is no guarantee that Anakin would become a Sith Lord. Even if we assume for a moment that Plagueis could have created Anakin, what would he have hoped to gain from it? He's got at best a 50/50 chance of creating a servant or a sworn enemy. Each person has free will and Anakin could just as likely have chosen to follow the light side of the force.

19. VicarofCletus

VicarofCletus Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2005
    My theory is this:
    Assuming that Plagueis was real and was Palpatine's master (which i'm pretty much convinced of from the look on Palpy's face in that scene), my guess is that Plagueis created Anakin but didn't tell his apprentice the details of it. One of them ordered the creation of the clone army, and then Palpatine kills him in his sleep. This is of course about the same time as TPM, which marks the beginning of his rise to power. It all falls into place. And it means that Plagueis would have impregnated Shmi, leaving Palps oblivious (maybe he wasn't even his apprentice yet).

Of course that's just my interpretation of it.

20. Kulkhulkhan

Kulkhulkhan Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2005
    first of all, I have a theroy I need express. What if Yoda was once Darth Plagueis? What if Sidious turned on him, thus making Plagueis see the evil of the dark side, and escape to become Yoda and form the Jedi ways? Yoda is quite old, as so stated. Sidious soon then influences the midichlorians to produce Anakin, creating for himself the ultimate apprentice. In ROTS, when the Yoda/Sidious battle begins, Yoda calls Sidious his "young apprentice". Sidious replys " you wont escape so easily this time my little green friend.". Hmm. Maybe Sidious is referring to the narrow escape with the wookies, or maybe this is a reference to Plagueis escaping from a duel hundreds of years ago... Think about it... of course this is all conjecture and theroy, but does make things interesting.

21. starwarsagent

Jul 4, 2004
    Darth plagueis was real. he was a sith during the sith war on korriban. he was so powerful it was said that he would "plague" the jedi and they would all fall dead. he was like a disease, so powerful he could create life just by touching a woman. He was alot like "Lucifer".

22. yaddidameen

yaddidameen Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 13, 2005
    The History of Shmi: What ties does she have?

her tubes!!!!!!

who cares!!!!

23. Dezdmona

Dezdmona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    Here is a follow up to my previous post regarding Anakin's conception, this is a direct quote from the George Lucas Interview in the June 2 issue of Rolling Stone Magazine:

"There is a hint in the movie that there was a Sith lord who had the power to create life. But it's left unsaid: Is Anakin a product of a super-Sith who influenced the midichlorians to create him, or is he simply created by the midichlorians to bring forth a prophecy, or was he created by the Force through the midichlorians? It's left up to the audience to decide. How he was born ultimately has no relationship to how he dies, because in the end, the prophecy is true: Balance comes back to the Force." ~ George Lucas

Also, to address the films being about fathers and sons; Lucas mentions in the same article, that the "early films" are about Luke redeeming his father, so Luke is the focus. But it's also about Princess Leia and her struggle to re-establish the Republic, which is what her mother was doing. So it's really about mothers and daughters AND fathers and sons.

24. D_Lowe

Aug 15, 2002
    my guess is that Plagueis created Anakin but didn't tell his apprentice the details of it.

VicarofCletus, it's obvious that you haven't been reading the arguments, especially mine. I have proven that Plagueis died 10 to 15 years before Anakin was born.

25. Dezdmona

Dezdmona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.