main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The History of Shmi: What ties does she have?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Gabricjen, Jun 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LilBastardAnakin

LilBastardAnakin Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2004
    If the force created Anakin using shmi then why didnt the force use her a few more tomes to create more kids since she seemed to be the forces favorite mommy? I still think by the way she looked at QG and later said he was meant to help you that she knew something weird. Maybe Sids or Palps told her they would grant her the wish of having a child or something, shmi could have known her lil boy was destined to grow up to be an evil sith lord and thats why she wanted him to go away with the jedi thinking this was the only way to prevent what the sith had created him to become.

2. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    If the force created Anakin using shmi then why didnt the force use her a few more tomes to create more kids since she seemed to be the forces favorite mommy?

Why can't you just accept or learn that the fact that the prophecy is about "The Chosen One", NOT Chosen Ones. The Chosen "One", and only one will be conceived by the midi-chlorians.

3. Nihilist

Nihilist Jedi Youngling star 2

May 8, 2005
    If the force created Anakin using shmi then why didnt the force use her a few more tomes to create more kids since she seemed to be the forces favorite mommy?

Actually I think that arguement works more against the sid's, plague's being the creator, knowing what we know about the sith if this power existed, as soon as vader became less than what palp's wanted he would have killed him and started over. Think about it. If he's intended to be a super sith and becomes less, why not kill him or keep him around while you start over in secrecy, sid's doesn't, the next hope for the sith is luke. The force being his creator makes much more sense, he was conceived through the force to balance it and bring it out of darkness in the time of greatest despair but sidious steals him and the now it becomes more bleak, the prophecy waits but destiny wins out. The force(like God if we accept the analogy)created one savior, that's all that was needed.

4. Darth-Trepidor

Darth-Trepidor Jedi Youngling star 3

May 10, 2005
    Imagine Shmi going through her normal daily chores of one of Gardulla the Hutt's slaves when all of the sudden a man dressed as Zorro flies in through the window and mildly slashes her belly with his lightsaber into the shap of P for Plageous.
    "HA HA! You have just been impregnated by Darth Plageous the Wise! Remember that name... DARTH!" And flies back out of the window.

5. jbird69

jbird69 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 11, 2000
    I read on Cinescape back before TPM came out a character history for Shmi. I tried looking for it but I think I got rid of it (I printed out all spoiler material back in the day, how dumb!). Anyway it said a ship carrying her and her parents was raided by pirates and her 'rents were killed, and she was sold into slavery.

6. Nihilist

May 8, 2005
    Imagine Shmi going through her normal daily chores of one of Gardulla the Hutt's slaves when all of the sudden a man dressed as Zorro flies in through the window and mildly slashes her belly with his lightsaber into the shap of P for Plageous.
    "HA HA! You have just been impregnated by Darth Plageous the Wise! Remember that name... DARTH!" And flies back out of the window.

Yes, I mean zeus was famous for that, but he was a god by mythological standards. Seperate from human beings. Force users are using the energy of their life force or god, if you will except that the force is their god, but they are not gods. It seems more like being at one with the energy or god, no seperation, and acheiving immortality, than them being considered god's. It's more interesting that the force may have actually been knowleagable of or sensed it was losing anakin to darker deed's..breaking his teachings and having a child, but through that child he rediscovers his destiny..hmmm, very interesting the force had a way of turning his destiny back toward the prophecy. Could be.

Just to reiterate why plague's or palp's don't have this power, they may want it but just think about what happens to the sith and anakin for wanting it, for wanting to be all powerful. The punishment anakin receives is pretty evident. Don't miss the point.

7. Darth-Trepidor

Darth-Trepidor Jedi Youngling star 3

May 10, 2005
    I would say the regular life forms are those who should consider the Force as "God"
    Jedi are like, angels, dare I say prophets working directly FOR the Force.

8. Nihilist

May 8, 2005
    All life forms become one with the force when they leave this world from what yoda says to anakin in ROTS. The force is created by and exists in all living things. There is no seperation and that's the way one should live, in understanding of that. So they all come and go into the energy, but certain people have more of the force in them(midi's)and the ability to use it, but it's how you use that power that matters.(Midiclorians does give rise to the idea of angels but angels are somewhat seperate from god, to me the midi's just mean they have more of the ability to use the energy) Clearly trying to attain the power to create life or sustain life through that force is unnatural and the price for it is paid, it's about submitting to the mystery and accepting it, not fighting against it. Being at one with the energy. When you practice it as it exists, which to me means removed from the temporal world of opposites, good-evil, life-death, you acheive oneness and the ability to become immortal or removed from the cycle. It's about acceptance and denial of ego. Because the energy is pure. As in the practice of many religions. What are jedi, to me, more like monks with the ability to use the energy in a more apparent way.(The force power is one big metaphor for the power of the mind and spirit over matter).

Remember one thing about a jedi, they use their power for good, but only when evil brings itself into the equation. So the term force user in regards to a jedi only applies when needed. They use it for knowledge and defense. Even yoda, who is powerful with the force, doesn't want to have to use it for anything but enlightenment and understanding of it.

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    We also get into this thing of what are midi-chlorians, how they work which advances a little bit of the story of the Force, and how does the Force work, how we come to know the Force which is part of Anakin?s training in learning to become a Jedi. And take the idea of the Force one step further. The mid-chlorians are kind of a side issue. Not in a sort of spiritual, metaphysical part of the Force, but the more practical, biological, physical part of the Force, or how we come to know the Force, which has to do really with the genetics of why some people have more in tune to the Force than others."

--George Lucas

"The Midichlorians have brought Anakin into being as ?the chosen one? who will balance the universe. The mystery around that theory is that we don?t know yet whether the chosen one is a good or a bad person. He is to bring balance to the Force; but at this point, we don?t know what side of the Force needs to be balanced out."

? George Lucas, quoted in L. Bouzereau, Star Wars: The Making of Episode I, 1999

"It was a virgin birth in an ecosystem of symbiotic relationships. It means that between the Force, which is sort of a life force, and reality, the connectors between these two things are what we call midichlorians. They're kind of based on mitochondria, which are a completely different animal, that live inside every single cell and allow it to live, allow it to reproduce, allow life to exist. They also, in their own way, communicate with the Force itself. The more you have, the more your cells are able to speak intuitively to the Force itself and use the powers of the Force. Ultimately, I would say the Force itself created Anakin. I don't want to get into specific terms of labeling things to make it one religion or another, but basically that's one of the foundations of the hero's journey."

--George Lucas, Feburary 2005 issue of Vanity Fair, page 117.

10. millenniumteacher

millenniumteacher Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2005

If Anakin is the Chosen One of the Force, then the Force itself chose Shmi as a mother, not the Sith. Besides, the Sith would've had much more of an influence on Anakin from the early years on if this had been the case. They would've killed Shmi right after childbirth and taken him in.

And would the Sith really need a mother? They could incubate the fetus in some sort of machine, or implant it in some willing woman...why go through all the trouble

Good Point

11. Nihilist

May 8, 2005
    Ultimately, I would say the Force itself created Anakin.-GL

Thank you sinister, and that's what I was trying to say about the midi's a higher connection to and ability to the use the energy. But all life is of and creates that energy, symbiosis.

12. Gabricjen

Gabricjen Jedi Master star 3

Dec 16, 2003
    Great stuff Sinister=P~

13. JEDI_KNIGHT_RAYEARTH

JEDI_KNIGHT_RAYEARTH Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2005
    This is an interesting subject. I've always wonder why Shmi seemed to pause when she said there was no father. As for Maul and the droid, I kinda noticed that. To tell you the truth, I kinda think Shmi was Palps slave. I mean in the EU (which is kinda flawed) he has no qualms about keeping slaves.

14. Gabricjen

Dec 16, 2003
    Shmi has an important past never addressed which is fine. I think in the TV series, a lot of these things can be explored. It would be kind of cool to find out all the "plotholes" that people keep talking about get explained here and there in the TV show. Maybe Shmi's past will be a subject for someone, Obiwan? Obiwan is somebody who could be explored a little more, or Yoda, training with QuiGon. QUiGon could explain a lot. Myabe he will tell them both that he knew that Shmi had a strong presence with the Force and that once he saw Maul, he knew she had ties with the sith. Maybe he let Dooku know and Dooku chose a different path. I think QUiGOn was trying to save Anakin from the dark side but couldn't stop destiny...

15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    1. Those quotes from Lucas were prior to the release of the film. He says that he initially planned to reveal that Anakin was the creation of Palpatine/Sidious. However, he decided to leave it up to us to determine if it's true or not. His origins are important, it's what he does in ROTJ that matters.

2. The probes come back to tell Darth Maul that they've found Qui-gon Jinn and inform him of which way he's running.

3. Shmi hesitates because she cannot explain how she became pregnant, when she wasn't with a man at the time he was concived. Would you be comfortable telling someone that and not be considered a nutcase?

16. Gabricjen

Dec 16, 2003
    Was Maul looking for the Queen, QuiGon or Anakin on Tatooine? How did he know they were on Tatooine anyway? I do not think SHmi is evil or anything. She was exactly what she was portrayed as. But I am unsure if her past was untied to Palpatine/Plagueis in some way...

17. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    I've always wonder why Shmi seemed to pause when she said there was no father.

Put yourself in that situation. If your baby had no father and somebody asked you, wouldn't you feel a little hesitant to answer? Put yourself in her shoes and explaining that to someone? Wouldn't you be worried that someone would laugh at your or make fun of you for saying something so crazy?

18. JEDI_KNIGHT_RAYEARTH

JEDI_KNIGHT_RAYEARTH Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2005
    I kinda think that Palpatine has a link with Shimi... but I don't know what, maybe he took her in or something to his master.

19. Gabricjen

Dec 16, 2003
    Sidious knew of Shmi. I hope there is exploration of this in Tv series...

20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Nope. The series focuses on secondary characters. None of the big characters in the films. Meaning we'll never find out on television if Sidious knew.

21. TheLightSide

TheLightSide Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 29, 2005
    Shmi is simply only the Mary [of the Bible] of the Saga.

1. We know that Shmi is honorable. So Anakin was conceived by the midi-chlorians.

2. We know that she was innocent in AoTC and did not deserve to die, but did. So Anakin would want to get even.

That goodness Lucas abandoned that Sidious creating Anakin. The entire prequels and OT would have been much, much worse for those of us who are not Emperor-worshippers.

22. SEPARATESICKLEROOK2

SEPARATESICKLEROOK2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 1, 2003
    Christianity adopted the idea of a virgin birth from Rome's large group of worshippers of Mithras, and the Cult of Mithras from popular Greek heroes that were birthed directly from the Gods. Star Wars is mythology too, so Anakin was directly concieved by the force. He is the Son of the Suns (from the Original SW draft) and the Chosen One, concieved by the Force, to bring balance. Palpatine's master could inspire the midichlorians to rekindle life in the dying (Ironic, he could save others from death, but not himself..."-Palpatine, Opera scene.), but not will the birth of the one destined to destroy the sith in hopes that heis apprentice may one day lure him to the dark side. I think the Maul theme, if that is indeed correct, was used to indicate danger when they discovered Anakin's potential. Everyone feared his discovery, especially Mace, but how could they not attempt to utilise the boy? Clouded future or not, this boy would be the future of the galaxy.

23. Gabricjen

Dec 16, 2003
    interesting stuff

24. halfwits-r-us

halfwits-r-us Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    There have been many virgin mother birth myths, or at least children without mortal fathers. Look at hercules. Zeus impregnanted chicks all of the time, once he was a golden shower or something.

25. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    Was Maul looking for the Queen, QuiGon or Anakin on Tatooine? How did he know they were on Tatooine anyway?

EXT. CORUSCANT - BALCONY OVERLOOKING CITY - NIGHT

DARTH SIDIOUS and DARTH MAUL look out over the vast city.

DARTH MAUL : Tatooine is sparsely populated. If the trace was correct, I
    will find them quickly, Master.
    DARTH SIDIOUS : Move against the Jedi first...you will then have no
    difficulty taking the Queen back to Naboo, where she will sign the treaty.
    DARTH MAUL : At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will
    have revenge.

Some kind of unexplained trace they used.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.