main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth! Moons of Munnipor! - Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (no tags)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Jan 9, 2016.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    As far as experiencing it in the film, I really have to disagree.

While it was certainly appropriate in terms of atmosphere, the vast bulk doesn't stand out as memorable (or even noticeable, it's a rather invisible score) and when it does it's rather generic (as I mentioned earlier, what I think might be a version of Strange's theme sounds like 90% of the Nu-Trek theme- such as the moment when he first uses the cloak to float up dramatically).

There are a couple exceptions though- the end credits theme is good (it reminds me of the credits theme for Thor, only more successful whereas Thor's theme was only mostly-there [coincidentally enough, it's the most Giacchino-like because of that almost-there nature]) and there's a brief moment during the climax where I noticed a pretty decent cue as well. And I find the new Marvel Studios Phase Three theme to be rather good too (though I still prefer Tyler's Phase Two Marvel theme).

Now, this is only from watching the film twice so I'm only going by that impression and not having listened to the score on its own yet like I have all the other Marvel scores.

So, to be fair, it's quite possible it could be an Iron Man 2-type situation where you have a pretty good score buried underneath the sound FX in the film's sound mix and that's why it ends up not being memorable while actually watching the film.

The score is more memorable than Civil War, Winter Soldier and maybe Incredible Hulk (though that one is kinda underrated), however, and is better than Agent Carter's (but her theme is far catchier even if the rest of the score isn't).

seventhbeacon likes this.
  2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  3. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I greatly enjoyed this but I couldn't help but feel like Benedict had used Hugh Laurie's House as his inspiration for the accent. Which made it all the more hilarious when you think of a Doctor who had a terrible accident, lost the use of a part of his body and ill now do anything to get it back. Even the sarcastic humor at times reminded me of an episode of House.

The supporting cast was excellent. Tilda Swenton did a brilliant job and any concerns about changing the Ancient One into one of many pretty much go out the window immediately. I thought Mordo was great as well and I liked the slow development he had over the film. Wong is certainly not a man servant and he did a nice job in his role. As to the villain- I thought they did a far better job here than they have with others. We know his motivation quickly. We get that he's a fanatic who will stop at nothing to achieve his goals. He has a little bit of humor and he gets some decent screen time.

Rachel McAdams... You know with a little bit of work, they could have just made her Claire Temple. While she was a fine actress, her part was mostly forgettable and she really could function as any love interest. Instead she really is just a friend that he needs at pivotal moments but then that's it. It's a minor complaint really because what she did worked.

My only real issue was that you really had to pay attention to figure out how long he was training by watching the seasons and the weather. There was no real measurement of time which is important for some of the plot points.

But really enjoyed it overall and definitely plan to see it again. I waited a long time for Strange to get his movie and I was not disappointed. Definitely one of the strongest casts since Iron Man 1.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I couldn't help but think the same thing.

5. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I wish I could take credit for this joke:

Top Three Lines From Dr. Strange:

[​IMG]

1. Dormammu, I've come to bargain!
    2. Dormammu, I've come to bargain!
    3. Dormammu, I've come to bargain!

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I like this movie, it has some amazing visuals and a couple of really cool moments, and I dig how the climax is more about outwitting than smashing. And this is probably the best 3D effort Marvel has done, it looks fantastic. Although, to be honest, it is my least favourite Marvel movie since probably Incredible Hulk. The Marvel movie template is starting to wear a bit thin by now: cocky protagonist learns humility / superpowers and teams up with a squad of wacky sidekicks to overcome a somewhat forgettable baddie (although Mikkelsen did get in some cool stuff) in a CGI-heavy climax involving the big glowy thing. Starting to see the strings a bit. But, yay for adding magic to the Marvel verse and there's some cool stuff that could play out, if not in future Doctor Strange movies but I'd definitely be up to see more of this happen in Avengers and Avengers-adjacent films.

On and speaking of Michael Giacchino's score, I kind of noticed, but good notice, that Strange montage of him trying to make his hands better was remarkably similar to the piano theme that played when the Starfleet officer met Cumberbatch's John Harrison in Into Darkness. Guess Giacchino + Cumberbatch in a montage + advanced and desperate medical techniques gets you that score. Which is suitably heartbreaking.

7. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015
    I really like the movie, though it is pretty funny to poke holes at the usual Marvel formula and the sense that they Frankensteined it together from what feels like half a dozen other films. My thoughts are pretty much summed up with a little Honest Trailer style naming of the characters:

From left to right: Galen So-sillius. Aang the Last Airbender, Stephen Sherlock, So Wong, The Operative, Strange's Facial Hair Stunt Double, and Doctor Strange's Beard

[​IMG]

And yeah, Michael Cappuccino's music is pretty okay.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    We saw it today and I loved it. I'd probably put it close to the top of the MCU for me, though I'll have to see it at least once more to know for sure.

I agree with ACOD on the music, I thought it was beautiful and I immediately wanted the soundtrack.

My mom told me yesterday that she was going to make my dad take her to the movies (they go very rarely) to see it because Doctor Strange was the comic she read when she was young. I was so shocked, I had no idea my mom read any comics when she was a kid. It was kinda cute how excited she was.

9. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    So did we, except Hugh Laurie's accent was flawless, whereas Benedict's was a bit wobbly.

10. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Ehhhh...

For folks complaining about the origin story being formulaic, that was kinda how Marvel was in the 60s; the basics of the origin are similar. *shrugs*

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's more obvious here simply because Strange's is so similar to Stark's.

On the upside, we don't get another potential origin story for another 2-3 years with Captain Marvel (and hers is pretty different to begin with) so we probably don't have to worry about things feeling too similar again for quite awhile (at least Phase Four at this point).

Jedi Merkurian and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I can buy the cocky protagonist learns humility / superpowers (although after Iron Man and Thor and, heck, freakin' Spider-Man and even Ant-Man) as it's something of a trope of the genre, but the plot structure, villain, supporting cast, climax, tease out the next flick is all starting to get a bit samey. Well done, but samey. Which is why I like the actual final giant bad guy showdown because it's a tad more cerebral than usual. Although to compare more recent Marvel efforts, Guardians managed to change it up by being ambitiously absurd, Ant-Man is basically even more of a comedy (and the climax of the movie is small scale personal stakes, inventive usage of the setting and with super-powers) and Civil War had an epic cast and ideological differences (which feels very timely) and had a nice sense of pathos to it. Strange manages to skate by with some really fantastic visuals that Marvel hasn't pushed as far before but a lot of that is hung on the framework we've seen before.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, no doubt. If not for the inventive visuals, DS would not be as entertaining as it is. I think that's why I felt like it might be among the lower MCU films (but then, I think TIH & TDW, while not without their flaws, are much more enjoyable that people give them credit for).

Here's some interesting details about what might have been the film's villain and other details:

Most notably:
    -Feige had made a case for using Nightmare and the Dream Dimension instead of Dormammu and the Dark Dimension, but the director felt that would have overcomplicated a film that was already exposition heavy.
    -Cumberbatch the did the performance capture and voice for Dormammu (though mixed with another actor's voice to disguise it)
    -The film takes place over the period of a year (fall to fall) Stephen's recovery spans about 3-6 months. (sidenote: this would explain the Ragnarok connection given that that comes out in a year)
    -The Groundhog Day loop may have actually gone through at least 1,000 cycles.
    -Waititi shot the first stinger and unn shot the Stan cameo.
    -The Hong Kong sanctum has the Staff of One in the background as an easter egg.
    -They originally wanted to use Jimi Hendrix's "Are You Experienced?" or Pink Flloyd's Instellar Overdrive for the end credits but couldn't due to liscensing costs and other demands.
    -The 22-year old female patient that was struck by lightning may in fact be Carol Danvers. New origin? [face_thinking]

And then there's this bit i'll quote directly:

"Marvel have come under some criticism for the slightly repetitive nature of their third acts. New York, London, Washington D.C., and the fictional city of Sokovia have all fallen victim to what James Mangold recently called a “city-block destroying, CGI (frack)athon”. Doctor Strange’s third act climax, which sees Doctor Strange reverse time to undo the city-block destroying, CGI (frack)athon of Hong Kong, was a direct response to that criticism.

“It was literally the play on that whole, 'oh, every Marvel movie ends with a city being destroyed during a fight, and then a portal that opens is closed just in time',” chuckles Derrickson. “I said, ‘well, dammit, we're going to un-destroy a city and we're gonna leave the portal open and Strange is going to go into it and we're going to see what's on the other side. That's how fresh my movie is, dammit!’”

VadersLaMent and Ghost like this.
  14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    In addition to Carol, the 35 YO man with spinal injuries from experimental power armor was almost certainly Rhodey... no?

hudzu likes this.
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Almost certainly. I think they outright say "Air Force Colonel" with spin injury after crashing an experimental mech suit.

16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Good movie. The special effects made it, but I agree the overall plot could have been shaken up a bit. I think the pacing was a little off too, with the ending both crammed and spread-out. I feel they could have dug a little deeper on a few things too. But overall, a good movie, and worth rewatching.

17. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

18. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    Just saw it tonight. Another solid entry in the MCU...I'd rank it middle of the pack. The incredible visuals and some great performances (especially Swinton and Cumberbatch) were the most memorable things about it for sure. And yeahm as for the soundtrack, aside from the credits theme I don't remember it at all in the film itself.

19. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Caught Dr. Strange yesterday. Unbelievable.

Listen up, dp4m.

I'm officially dropping my beef with the MCU, no more trashing unless they really drop the ball in the future. Marvel Studios is cranking these movies out at an incredible rate of speed, but the quality is getting better and better. I was wary of the casting of Benefactor Carrierpidgeon, but he was absolutely fantastic, as were Tilda and the always outstanding Mads. The visuals alone are an unforgettable experience, much in the way Inception was. I still love the DC films too, and I hope they catch up - Marvel is just doing amazing work.

20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

And I wouldn't even put this in the top-third (well, maybe, I'd need to go back and check). But it was solid, and both leaves the room for more AND expands the cosmic powerset both with magic and time (Time Gem).

heels1785 likes this.
  21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Marvel Studios has a simple formula, create a "hero's journey" and embrace the source material.

Doctor Strange executes this formula very well and therefore creates another wonderful additional to the MCU and literally expanding its universe. Moreover, Doc Strange wonderfully sets up a sequel with the second end credit scene. I like the development of the probable antagonist for the sequel as it won't be a two dimensional character and this character believes its doing the greater good.

I saw on a YouTube video this morning that there was going to be a tie-in with Agent Carter with the dark matter thing being something of the Dark World in the film. That would be cool as it might be the first time a MCU film acknowledge something that occurred in the TV universe.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I really look forward to seeing what DS2 can do now that the origin is out of the way. Marvel has been exceptional at using these characters and worlds once they're established.

Sure, one can argue about whether some sequels as a whole are better than the first film (The Thors, the Iron Mans, AOU, etc) but they really do show a keen grasp of the material and characters most of the time in ways that really elevate the game.

(Think Hulk in Avengers, Widow in TWS, Ant-Man/Spidey in CW, etc)

Master_Lok and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  23. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Man, I have to say I was slightly annoyed by the survey I was asked to fill out yesterday as a possible gauge to whether or not Strange gets his own sequel. Of course, I said yes. And, yes, I'll see this again another 2-3x, because I caught so much more the 2nd time and I had even more fun.

I can't speak for anyone else, but it is nice to have a great time with a beloved character and not get all cranky about obvious changes (unlike the comics). Sure, the movie has flaws, most do, but for me, I am celebrating the positive rather than the negative and I can't wait to do that again.

24. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I finally saw this today, it is quite good despite the pitfalls of an origin story.

Wong listening to Beyonce = lol

I like the finicky cape.

The first credits scene is cool, not only with Thor there but Strange is obviously comfortable in his new position.

It slipped my mind that the Eye was the Time Stone, until Wong mentions it.

With the 2nd credits scene are they going to play a sympathy angle with Mordo? His world got shattered when it turned out those he looked up to were up to no good.

I was hoping for a bit more wizard dueling on the order of Dumbledore vs Voldemort instead of running in an environment. But that is my only real problem.

25. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Yes, I wanted more of that too. Part of the loss of the
    spoken spells, I guess. One thing I did notice clearly the second time was the fact that Kaecilius and his remaining followers became mindless ones at the end. I somehow missed the pivotal point of their transformation into these the first time.