main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Story [The Hobbit, LOTR]: A Hobbit in Ered Luin Dear Diary 2014

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Space_Wolf, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Space_Wolf

Space_Wolf Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2007
    Hilda Greenhill's Diary

20th Astron

I arrived at my cousin Callum’s house a few days ago to find his wife Dieardre pottering around in the garden and the children playing nearby. The joy of seeing them almost made me forget my sadness at my parting with Kili, but then I realised that the future we had talked about had evaporated like so much fog burned away by a rising sun. Unless of course…. dare I hope? Thinking of that night in the stables…. No if I was carrying a child, there would have been some evidence of it by now, and there wasn’t, so I didn’t even have that consolation, if there even was any consolation in being a single mother.

“So you decided to stay with us after all?” Dieadre asked, looking up from the herb bed that she was tending to. Trotter ran over to the children and they played with him, a little too boisterously for my taste. I was always worried that he may try to bite a child when they played with him.

I nodded as I blinked away the tears that had welled up in my eyes. As we spoke, I made her think that the sadness that I so keenly felt was due to the loss of my parents and brothers, which in a sense was true, but was only a small part of it.

Before leaving Kili at Hobbiton, I had only grieved for a lost past, now it was for a lost future as well. I understood now why Kili had been so cautious in telling me how he felt about me. If things turned sour, like they had, I would have a double loss to deal with. And I was still reeling from the fact that it the break-up had been over nothing that either of us had done to hurt or betray the other. Our feelings hadn’t suddenly changed towards each other, it was a lost love purely due to the cruelty of outside interference which should never have even occurred. Oh how I missed him! Dare I hope that we could still end up being together? Dare I hope that things could still be put right?

Of course, the future is not set. While both of us live there is some hope, however slim it may be, that things could still go as they should. I had to cling to that. But what if in the end that it was only a false hope? No hope is better than a hope that is folly. Fate has dealt me a roll of the dice that is a failure of epic proportions.

I spent the rest of that morning helping my cousin in the garden. We planted new herbs for cooking and for making home remedies. Whether the home remedies worked or not is another thing entirely, but I think I would enjoy having them taught to me. I made notes of how they were made so that if I ever saw Oin again that I could show him what my cousin made and ask him if they were of any use. I think that Ireiagia would be interested in the remedies as well as it would increase her knowledge, or so I hoped. Anything that could be of use to the dwarves I coveted. Perhaps if I made contact with them again, Thorin would realise how valuable an asset I was to him and his people and that he would change his mind concerning me.

The children played around us happily and it made me miss Dwalin’s young ones, and made me ache for my own. Would it ever happen now, I wondered….Could it ever happen? Of course, I could just forget all about Kili and find a man among my own people, but I am not sure if any of them would want me when he discovered that I wasn’t a maiden anymore.

Dieadre went inside to prepare lunch for Callum and my uncle because they were out working on the farm, leaving me to clear the gardening tools away. I was so busy concentrating on my own thoughts of what I should do about my future that I didn’t notice Callum enter the farmhouse garden until the children screamed his name and ran up to him. They were all excited and told him that I was here. I don’t think the young ones understood my sadness and what had brought me here. They just liked the fact that their big cousin was home. Oh the innocence of children! I wish that I still had that, but it had been buried with my family and I would never be able to regain it. It was lost to me, just like my virtue.

Callum greeted me with a much needed hug and it did lessen the sorrow in my heart for a moment. Being home at last was a much needed comfort, even if it did nothing to change the grave disappointment that I felt within my heart. Uncle Farnan, Callum’s father, and once the owner of the farm that my cousin ran and lived on joined us a while later and we par took in a small picnic in the garden when Dieardre returned from the house carrying a large basket filled with sandwiches, cheeses, cakes, scones, and fruit juices. There was jam and ham for the sandwiches and the children loved their jam, and the cakes, while the adults preferred the more savory parts of the meal. Trotter was given a huge bone to gnaw on and he took it to a quiet part of the garden to eat it in peace.

For a short while, my sadness was forgotten about, until I saw Callum say farewell to Deidre and he and Uncle Farnan went off to the field again. Spring is always busy for farmers as they deal with the birth of new animals, plant new crops that will grow throughout the summer to be harvested in late summer and early autumn. Callum and Deidre embraced each other and kissed, and I missed the arms of Kili around me. I wished he was there with me and not somewhere so far away.

Seeing Callum and Uncle Farnan go off to work reminded me so much of my father and my brothers that I missed them so much at that moment, more than I ever had. Why had my life taken such a bad turn? Why did it have to happen to me? Why, for the love of Eru, did I have to survive that orc attack at all and not be with my family? And would I ever be able to recover from this? Would I ever be able to rebuild what had been taken away from me? At that moment in time, my hope for the future was well and truly gone.

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2004
    What a tipsy topsy roller coaster ride of emotions, but totally not a surprise! Loved the warm, comfy, welcoming family feel for Hilda. But even the sweet stuff reminds her of losses. :( She's right, too, what really bites is her and Kili's situation wasn't something they asked for or brought about. [face_thinking] So that just makes it harder to think there might be a way out.

3. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The Fanfic Manager With The Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    You can really understand Hilda's emotions in this update. :( She's been through a lot, and being amongst family again here is both a balm and a constant reminder of what she thinks she's lost. It's a low point, but I look forward to seeing if there just may be a way up for them soon. ;) [face_love]

=D=

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  4. Space_Wolf

Mar 13, 2007
    Kili’s Journal

20th Astron

Passage through the swamp was as laborious returning to Ered Luin as it had been traveling towards Bree. It didn’t matter much to me, however. We were heading in the wrong direction as far as I was concerned and I was in no hurry at all to get back home. I lagged behind the other dwarves a lot, always at the back, just in case Hilda came after us and I would be the one to greet her first. My dallying however, frustrated my Uncle on many levels and he was always telling me to hurry up. I just couldn’t. My heart was not in it and as we travelled further away from the Shire, the more I lagged behind until Dwalin was ordered by my Uncle to force me onwards at a faster pace. A bitter resentment grew between Dwalin and myself over this. I just wanted him to leave me be. It was very tempting at night to just slip away and return to the Shire to seek Hilda out, but Uncle Thorin ordered the other dwarves to keep a close eye on me and to not, under any circumstances leave me to be alone with myself. As a result, I was unable to slip away to go back to her.

I felt like doing very little, my powers of concentration were completely non-existent. I made many mistakes when given a task to do and this annoyed my Uncle even further. At first, he thought that it was deliberate disobedience on my part, but it soon became clear that I wasn’t doing it on purpose. I’ve not written much in my journal since we left Hilda behind. I just cannot bring myself to write in it because all I will ever write about is how unhappy I am and how much that I miss her at my side. At quiet moments, I read the past entries in my journal and I remember the times that Hilda and I spent together. If Uncle Thorin complained about my shirking of responsibility while Hilda was here, then he should now, because I just don’t want to or feel like doing anything at all. While Hilda was around, I actually cared, but now I don’t.

Fili is the only person I feel like speaking to these days. He is my brother and the only one I think can understand my unhappiness. I only speak to others now if I need to. I think Uncle Thorin maybe beginning to understand how unhappy I am at the situation because he no longer tells me off. Is he beginning to change his mind about things? I really, really do not know.

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Understandable reactions both in the emotional and motivation departments. Bit of hopefulness there at the end for things turning 'round. :)

6. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Ack - this is all completely understandable on Kili's part. :( Still hoping for that light at the end of the tunnel for both of them, though. [face_batting]

7. Space_Wolf

Mar 13, 2007
    Hilda's Diary

25th Astron

Callum, like my parents, was a farmer and suddenly I felt useful again. Callum was more of a crop farmer than a livestock one, so there were no sheep to round up, but I still found that there were lots of things to do. I was no longer that clumsy, useless individual I had been with the dwarves and it suited me accept for one detail – no Kili. During the day time, there was much for me to do – planting new crops and harvesting spring ones. I made a start on a herb garden in front of the house, well, more of an extension to the one that Deidre had already started, with Trotter always at my side. My cousin also keeps a couple of hen houses with each with a small flock of chickens. One of these was for eggs only, which had no rooster, the other one a breeding colony that reared birds to sell on the market and for our table. I took over looking after them, but the slaughter was left to my Uncle, as I couldn’t bring myself to do the deed. I’ve never been any good at killing things and it reminded me too much of what had happened to the sheep and the attack on Thorin’s Gate by the orcs. I still had nightmares about those events and I worried about what was happening to the dwarves, especially to Kili, Fili, Thorin, Ori, Gimli, Lyngheid and Lofnheid. I hated not knowing what they were facing.

When there wasn’t any farming chores to complete, there was the children to care for. I spent a little time everyday teaching them to read. The girl, Rosie, was the easiest to handle. The two boys, Jimmy and Tom only wanted to play at sword fighting. Diedre said that it was the fault of the dwarves for filling their heads with heroic deeds and adventures. Until they had arrived, all the two boys wanted to be were simple farmers like their father and grandfather. I wondered if Fili and Kili had been like that when they were young dwarves and I could easily see them being so. I missed them both terribly, my lover and the dwarf I had come to think of as a brother. The pain of not being with them neither waxes nor wanes it stays the same, a constant source of sadness in my life. The only thing that would change it would be them turning up on our door step one day.

Aunt Margarita visited us regularly and my grandmother was immensely pleased that I had decided to stay. Oh if only any of them knew of the conflict that rages within my poor heart! I wondered if they knew about Ori’s article – none of them ever mentioned it if they did. When asked what had changed my mind about staying with the dwarves, I said that I wanted to be with my family – simple. I don’t know if they noticed the lie, that I wished with all my heart that I was elsewhere. They did give me some happiness and I dread to think what I would have done with myself if they had not been there.

Evenings were spent telling stories by around the fireplace and playing games with the children. I looked forward to those evenings and it made me think of Kili and I sat together doing the same with our children if we had stayed together and had them. Why is it that everything has to be bitter-sweet, and remind me of all my losses and failures? Why, oh why?

Once a week, we went round to my grandparents’ house and shared a meal. It was the only day when Callum and Uncle Farnan were allowed to relax. To any outside observers looking in, it would look idyllic – but there was a gaping hole in my life and that was the absence of Kili.

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Superb post! =D= =D= You can feel her sense of purpose and connectedness to her family and the necessary round of chores but :( still the sense of loss remains. Just like she says, the only thing that will remove it is if Fili and Kili were to show up on the doorstep. [face_dancing]

9. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Excellent update. You can again understand both Hilda's renewed sense of purpose and family, but that alone isn't enough to fill what is missing in Kili. :( As always, I am looking forward to more! :) =D=

10. Space_Wolf

Mar 13, 2007

Kili’s Journal

1st Thrimidge

We arrived back at Thorin’s Gate at the beginning of the month of Thrimidge, if you use the calendar of the Shire to measure the passage of time. Much progress had been made rebuilding after the damage the orcs had done. The hardest part of the journey for me was passing Hilda’s farm, or rather the ruins of it. I avoided speaking with Uncle Thorin – in fact, I avoided speaking with just about everyone apart from Fili. I don’t think my Uncle noticed, though, or if he did, he passed no comment on it to me or any others. He was too involved in talking to the wizard about Erebor and how best to approach the problem.

When we arrived, Uncle Thorin asked Bofur to fetch the druid woman and meet them at the library. He wasted no time at all in getting down to business. He told Fili to meet them there as well, but made no mention of me. I decided that I would go, because not going might have made Uncle Thorin angry with me as when we have spoken, it has been mainly complaints to me about me not doing the things that I should. It is very difficult for me indeed.

But first, Fili and I went home to the cottage to visit Mam and to tell her that we were back. I may not like the fact that Hilda was not with us, but I was still looking forward to seeing her at least. Perhaps I could talk to her about what has happened and everything will be alright. I can but hope, I suppose.
    She was working at the forge when we got there, which was hardly a surprise as she spent most of her days forging something. Bild wasn’t around though. We waited until she’d finished what she was making before we approached her.

“I’ll see to the horses,” Fili said, quietly in my left ear. “You and Mam need to have a chat and I don’t think you need me in the way. Good luck.”

And we did have that talk.

The first thing she asked was where Hilda was. She was afraid that something had happened to her because of the expression on my face.

“Nothing happened to her,” I tried to reassure her. “She has family in the Shire and she went to live with them.”

I couldn’t bring myself to say what had happened to her outright. It was way too painful still, the injury so raw…

“There’s more to this than you are telling me, son. We can go inside and talk if you wish.”

We did so, and she told me to sit down and tell me what the problem was. I told her what had happened, first with that stupid article that Ori wrote, thinking that she would be angry at me for what Hilda and I had done. She did frown at me when I confessed the truth of it. Of course, I'd been a bit silly thinking that I could hide from her what I had done and perhaps if I'd told her the truth before we left and told my Uncle, the disaster which followed could have been averted. "I don't think Ori's article helped one bit." I told her the rest, about the incident in the Prancing Pony with Ristil and then the night in the jail cell. Would it be shameful to admit that I was on the verge of tears at that point? Dwarf men are supposed to be strong, not emotional wrecks.

"Your Uncle is a stubborn idiot," Mam said, when I finished talking. She walked over to the desk which Uncle Thorin usually worked at when he was home and pulled out pile of parchments from a drawer.

Still struggling to hold back my tears, I asked, "What are those?"

"When the others came back early, they told Ori that you and Hilda had got engaged. Poor lad…He's really sorry about that dratted article and he wanted to make things up to you. So he placed an announcement in the chronicle about you and Hilda being engaged. He was really excited and happy at the news, as we all were. Young Lyngheid and Lofnheid have spoken nothing of it since, and you know how unusual it is for those two to talk about matters that females are supposed to be interested in. These started to arrive."

She passed them to me and I began to look through them. I am fluent in elven languages. As my status as a prince, I was taught by Balin from an early age to be able to read and write it, but it is by far from my favoutire of the languages. I love Khuzdul and prefer to use that when I am speaking with my own people and there aren’t any people from other races around. I longed to teach my language to Hilda – I had been going to ask my Uncle if I had permission to teach it to her. I sighed, thinking that it was useless to even dwell on it now because it was something that was never going to be. My heart is a hollow shell to what it used to be and I am not afraid to admit to it in my journal, where all my secrets are kept. I do wonder if one day years and years from now that some scholar will read my words and what he or she shall think of me. I hope they are compassionate and not judge me harshly by my actions.

I looked through them. Most of them were letters of congratulations from a number of people in high places. I didn’t know them all, but some names were recognisable to me. One was from Celeborn and Galdriel, the Lord and Lady of the golden wood of Lothlorien – I was surprised to get one from them, with them being elves. Both of them wished me well but said that they would like to attend if they could, but it would be difficult for them to make the journey. There was one from Saruman, asking us if we wanted him to oversee the wedding. That was unexpected, but I am sure that one of the priests or priestesses of Sindri's folk would have done it. There were separate ones from Elrond and Arwen of Rivendell. Of all the elves, they were the friendliest to us. Arwen wanted to be a bridesmaid! I suppose because of the sparseness of ladies among our people that elf women would have been welcome to fill the empty roles even if we didn’t get on with them all that well. It is important to try and push the old prejudices aside, no matter what my Uncle’s personal feelings towards the elves were, even if his reasons for them were valid.

There was a really nice one from cousin Dain. I was surprised that the news had gone that far, and he was on his way with a small group of dwarves to visit us in Ered Luin. I looked forward to seeing him because I had not seen him since I was a nipper. My mood was blackened when I came across a rather spiteful one from Thranduil, and Mam, seeing that I had it, snatched that one away from me before I could finish reading it.

“I’m sorry, son. I don’t know how that one got amongst them. I thought I’d burnt it. I shouldn’t let your Uncle see it or he’ll be wanting to start another war like the Firebeards did in the First Age!”

There were a rather nice ones from the queen of Rohan, expressing her delight at the news and one of congratulations from the current steward of Gondor. It is in nice to know that even in exile as we are that we have allies all around us. Perhaps once my Uncle had seen these he would change his mind regarding Hilda and allow me to marry my love.

I looked at my mother. “I didn’t know that the coverage of the Chronicle went that far,” I said to her. Really, just how much damage had Ori’s silly article caused? I will hit him when I see him, I swear. He might be sorry for having written it, but it has brought great embarrassment to myself, Hilda, my mother, Fili and my Uncle, not to mention the whole line of Durin. The nephew of their king, a possible heir to the throne, was a play boy.

“Neither did I, until they started arriving,” Mam said. “We may have envoys coming from the other clans.”

Swell, just swell. Wait until they realise that there is going to be no wedding at all because of my Uncle’s pride and stubbornness. There were lots and lots of fan mail from hobbits. They were exited that one of their own could be a princess of Ered Luin. There were so many in fact, that I couldn’t be bothered to read them all. But in the end, only Hilda’s surviving relatives really mattered.

There were threats from orcs to disrupt the ceremony if the wedding takes place. I didn’t take them seriously, since Lord Elrond had offered the use of Rivendell for the ceremony. No orcs would have been able to get near the place. It hurts that so many people would have been supportive of it…Uncle Thorin must be made to change his mind! I was a little bemused at it, though. I didn’t think that the orcs would bother to read the newspaper, but apparently, they did. I just hope that Ori had the sense of mind not to write anything about Erebor…

The one which stood out the most, however, was a letter from Smaug the dragon, or at least one that was said to be pertaining from him… If genuine, he must have terrified some poor soul into writing it for him because it was written on normal sized parchment and was in a very shaky hand writing. It was a strange mixture of insult and politeness.

Dear Deposed King,

In recent years, I have come to regret taking the mountain from you and your people and wish to make amends for my actions. The majority of the gold will remain in my procession, as I think that is only fair since I am the King Under the Mountain. However, it has come to my attention that your nephew is going to marry. As I would like to sue for peace, I am offering the Arkenstone as a wedding gift to your nephew.

Smaug, the real King Under the Mountain.

I looked at Mam in surprise, trying to keep my face straight, as I wanted to laugh long and hard at it.

“Is this genuine?” I asked, smirking a little.

“I don’t believe so,” Mam replied, shaking her head. “Probably just some crackpot having a joke with us.”

“The Mirkwood elves?” I asked.

“Probably,” Mam replied, sighing quite heavily. “Where is your Uncle?”

“He’s in a meeting in the library, or should be, why?”

“We should go. I may not be queen, but I am the closest we have and your Uncle should have come to me to tell me that he is home.”

“Fili is seeing to the horses. We should find him before we go.”

“Agreed.”

I didn’t feel better after our talk. The letters only made me miss Hilda more, if that was possible. A message came that summoned me to the library, the place where Uncle Thorin had to conduct business now. The Cabbage was still being rebuilt and Baldric had turned the Meadhall into his base of operations. Mam sent me ahead of her because she wanted to fetch Fili. On my way to the library, I decided that the plans to retake Erebor could wait and I went to the Meadhall instead. It wasn’t intentional. I had just about enough being ordered around by my Uncle. I had never knowingly deliberately shirked my responsibilities before, at least not since when I was a small child and having fun with Fili and other dwarf children had seemed the most important thing that I could do.

I found Nori in the Meadhall. It seemed that Baldric had no power at all to kick him out of the hall, even though officially he was barred from the Cabbage. He was engaged in gambling with a trio of rather rough looking dwarves from the mines, as crooked as he was. It was clear from their attitude that all four of them were hell bent on screwing each other over to get all the money that their companions had in their possession. I also guessed that they were regulars that Dwalin had to lock up in the can, though I didn’t know any of them. That was probably fortunate for me, I think.

It was the first time that I wished the Cabbage hadn’t been destroyed by the orcs, but after getting a barrel mead from Baldric, the thief broke off the game, much to the consternation of his fellows and sauntered over to me. We spoke for a while and I admitted that I was a little upset and the thief showed me where he went to hide from Dori when he didn’t feel like working and wanted to avoid his older brother. His hiding place was where he also kept his stash of stolen liquor.

During the aftermath of the orc attack, Nori’d had a field day looting the remains of the Cabbage’s wine cellar and all the subsequent missing goods had been recorded as lost in the attack.

I was skeptical at first when Nori said that no one knew where he kept his stash, not even Ori. As the day wore on and the drunker we got and no one turned up, I began to believe that no one would find us. He told me of some of his more outrageous heists (probably exaggerated or invented, due to the drink) and I told him how much I hated my Uncle at that moment in time – I will clarify that – I don’t really hate Uncle Thorin, I know that he only wants the best for Fili and myself and that he would do anything for us. But he is far from the easiest dwarf to get along with and at that particular moment, to say I hated him was a pretty accurate description of how I felt about the whole situation.

“So is this all abert t’ wee hobbit lass o’ thine?” Nori asked, taking a swig of ale.

“Aye,” I replied, meeting the other’s gaze.

“Eh, this is why ah dunt involve mi sen wi’ women. Too much trouble.”

“It’s not Hilda causin’ t’ trouble,” I said, slipping into Nori’s way of speaking because of the drink. “It’s mi Uncle.”

“Tha sees, lad, this is why ah live only fo’ mi sen, an’ no one else. Ah’ve no one but mi’ sen t’ please.”

“An’ why tha hides ‘ere from Dori,” I said, laughing a little bit.

“Look, lad, if tha really wants t’ be wi’ this girl, teke no notice o’ what tha Uncle or anyone else seys fo’ that matter. Tha’ livin’ tha life, not theirs. Most folks think ah’m a selfish git, an’ ah wouldn’t argue wi’ ‘em, cos’ ah ‘am. But as ah live only t’ please mi sen, an’ mi Mam sometimes, ah’m a lot happier fo’ it.”

“So tha’s seying ah should just goo back t’ Shire, find her an’ marry her, regardless o’ what anyone else thinks?”

“Aye.”

“Mekes sense,” I said, getting to my feet. I was a bit wobbly on my feet and would have set out to go all the way back to the Shire that very moment, if I’d not fallen flat on my face. Nori chuckled and I burst out laughing until I felt quite sick.

“Not so fast, lad. Tha’d better sober up fost!” Nori exclaimed, loudly, still laughing. The laughing was infectious. Who’d have thought that Nori, of all people, would have the best advice? Or at least the advice that I wanted to hear.

I would probably get an ear full from Uncle Thorin, Mam and others besides for choosing not to go to the library, but I am glad I had this conversation with Nori. It made things a lot simpler and confirmed what I had wanted to do from the start.

It was dark by the time I emerged from Nori’s hiding place. I must have found my way home somehow because I woke up in the sitting room at home with an extremely bad hang over and with Uncle Thorin, Mam and Balin standing around me, peering down at me.

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Well, the letters may be a blessing and a lead-in to a turnaround after all [face_thinking] Happy about the ones from the Steward and the Queen of Rohan and Dain :cool: LOL about the spiteful one from Thranduil. My head-canon is so full of him as Mira_Jade has painted him "Taste of Shadow" that ... :D =D=

I do hope that when all the tangles are untangled, Hilda and Kili can laugh about this later, probably much later. :p

12. Space_Wolf

Mar 13, 2007
    Of course Thranduil would be spiteful. I did the one from Smaug just for humour. If it turned out that it was genuine and not a prank, then it would have made a lot of the troubles unnecessary. I find it disappointing in fantasy when dragons are always the bad guys. They are more fun when they can be either good or bad.

13. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I'm glad that Kili finally came around to the idea of taking maters into his own hands, I was waiting for that! Even though it looks like he may have met a roadblock with those plans in the last few lines . . . :oops: [face_worried]

I have to agree with Deb about hoping that they can laugh about this later . . . much, much later, perhaps. :p

14. Space_Wolf

Mar 13, 2007
    Oops...This entry should have been posted before the last one. The pages in OneNote got switched around and I didn't notice! I use OneNote because it saves your writing as you type, which is a lot better than writing a long piece of writing and then losing it because you forget to save or something. But it means sometimes things get switched around. Normally I notice it, but in this case, I didn't.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kili's Journal

25th Astron

We are out of the swamp and almost home. Traveling is much easier now that the weather is much improved, but I wished in my heart that we weren’t so near to home, because it meant that Hilda was the furthest out of reach that she could ever be to me.

It is an arduous journey,
    Coming back to oneself,
    The most difficult,
    And soul-weary of them all,
    Many are the twists in the path,
    And the wrong turns that are taken,
    It is the longest road of all to travel,
    And many never find their way back home.

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Touching reflections. =D= You can really feel Kili's sense of alienation from all he wants and the future he desires.

16. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Another beautiful addition. [face_love] =D=

17. Space_Wolf

Mar 13, 2007
    This is what I meant to post last time. I wanted to edit it a bit so that it is more inline with the short story for want of a better description from Unfinished Tales, but as always with fan fic, you need to get a balance between original writing and just plain copying, so it's not as close as I would like it to be. (I did come across Star Wars fan fic once where the author had just copied the novelisations of the OT, and stuck in an original character, replaced things which Leia did with this OC and with the occasional "original" scene writen by them. It's probably one of the worst pieces of fan fic I've come across, and even the badly written fan fic I've found with Mary Sues in them are better because at least the author attempted to be original. I didn't see the point in writing something like that...occasional dialogue is alright, I suppose, but not the whole thing, but in this case, I found out as I was reading it that even if I used the dialogue, I would have been borrowing too much from it.)

-----------------------------------

Kili's Journal

2nd Thrimidge

Attending a serious meeting with a massive hang-over is not something that I would recommend, but the hang over pales in comparison to the lecture I’d had from Uncle Thorin and Mam. To say they were displeased with me is an understatement. Of course, what really made me feel wretched was the absence of Hilda and not the hang over at all.

We met in the library that morning. Ristil and the druid woman were absent because Gandalf had spoken to them yesterday. It turns out that because I didn’t bother turning up that they hadn’t discussed anything about Erebor, which is one reason why Uncle Thorin had been thoroughly annoyed with me. I’d wasted his time. Gandalf was present at the meeting, along with Uncle Thorin of course. My cousins Balin, Dwalin, Oin, Gloin, and Gimli were present. Fili was present of course and we were sat together with Mam, as we usually were on such occasions. Bofur, Bifur and Bombur had turned up, as had Dori and Ori. For some strange reason, Nori was present too. I’m not sure how Nori had got wind of the plans to retake Erebor, but someone must have told him. I wonder if I had let something slip during our drunken discussion the day before, but I couldn’t recall if I had.

There were some of the dwarf women present – Bild, Gloa, Skafid, Vif, Lyngheid and Lofnheid.

Uncle Thorin was looking for volunteers for the venture and all of the dwarf men present, including Gimli, wanted to go. Many chose to go out of honour and loyality to their king, and I suppose for the most part, that was my motivation as well. I may have deliberately disobeyed Uncle Thorin yesterday, but it was very out of character for me and my anger with him had now gone, for the moment.

I expected Mam to object to Fili and I making up part of the party, but she didn’t. There was some lengthy discussion as to whether or not Gimli should be allowed to go on account of his age. In the end, it was decided, much to Gimli’s disappointment that he would stay behind. That left only thirteen of us to go, an unlucky number.

Uncle Thorin began the process of writing lengthy letters to cousin Dain and the heads of the six dwarf clans to discuss the matter of retaking Erebor. The druid woman employed ravens to deliver the messages, with her own companion bird going to Dain.

Gandalf still insisted on including this Boggins fellow as a burglar, which clearly irritated Uncle Thorin, and started a lengthy discussion on the usefulness of hobbits. There was a lot of doubt, of course and I was quite annoyed at everyone who spoke ill of hobbits. It felt like it was directed at Hilda and I tried to leave, but Mam stopped me. I needed to be there, she insisted. There was some talk on the habits of dragons, which Gandalf spoke at length on, and why we should add an hobbit to the company.

“There already is a burglar in t’company,” Nori said, meaning himself.

That drew a scathing look from Dori and his mother.

“But the dragon knows the smell of dwarf. It doesn’t know the smell of hobbit.”

“Excuse me, Mr Gandalf. But wouldn’t that make a hobbit stand out more?” Ori asked.

“Not necessarily,” Gandalf replied.

That started off a debate about whether or not a hobbit would just be a burden to the company. I stopped listening. Hilda had been anything put a burden while she had been with us. She had saved my life once, she had cared for me while I had been ill. Hilda had tried to hold her own during the attack on Thorin’s Gate, and she had tried to help in any way she could. Of course, I might have a biased opinion on the matter, but she had been no where near as useless as some thought her to be.

“We can do nothing now but wait for Dain’s response and that of the other clans,” Uncle Thorin said. “But I must impress upon you all the importance of secrecy of this mission. It must not become common knowledge to those outside this room and the dwarves I have informed.”

He looked pointedly at Ori, Nori and Lofnheid as he said it.

The meeting broke up and everyone left the library. I wondered, as we were not leaving for Erebor straight away, if there was time for me to visit Hilda before the quest started, but I decided it would be wise not to broach the subject for a few days.

18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_dancing] Marvelous, more Gandalf... and Bilbo appears! :D

19. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Oooh, I am now doubly excited for the next update! I am really glad to see the quest for Erebor begin - and I'm especially eager to see if the company will have two Hobbits, rather than one, to add to their ranks! ;) [face_thinking]

=D=

20. Space_Wolf

Mar 13, 2007
    It's still a year before the quest, and I have something in mind for the ladies when the quest comes around. I thought that having them meet Gandalf a year before the quest would give them time to prepare for it. There's that meeting of the dwarf clans which was mentioned at the beginning of the film and it will take time for them to arrive. Somewhere along the line, I forgot to keep adding the year...

---------------------------------

Hilda Greenhill's Diary

5th Thrimidge

The spring equinox passed by about a month ago and I was so preoccupied that its passing was missed completely. The days are longer, with the hours of daylight now out stripping the number of dark hours in the day. Normally this would have made spring a happy time, but not for me this year. Light, in effect, has returned to the world, but not to my heart. He did visit me one night in my room at the Prancing Pony because he wanted to comfort me. It was a risk we took of course, and we were intimate with each other again. I hoped that I was with child, but as time passes, that hope wanes as there are no signs that I am. I have still had no word at all from Kili and so I must assume that my relationship with him has ended, much to my own sadness. I am beginning to think that Kili has forgotten all about me, and that is an unhappy prospect.

One spring morning in early Thrimidge, I was sat on the bench in the back garden working on a patch work quilt. Deidre has been luckier than me, in both her love life and her family life, for she is expecting again. I should be happy for her, I guess, and I am, but it is difficult for me to push aside my own disappointment, I guess, because there hasn’t been enough time since I lost him to forget about him and he is always on my mind. I wanted to make something for the baby because I needed the distraction. Perhaps it would help me in getting over my loss and give me something to look forward to in the future. I needed it.

One day I hoped to be able to move out of my cousin’s house and set up a small place of my own. If I ever open myself up to love again remains to be seen. It is too soon for me to think of such things at the moment, but when the farm chores were done and I didn’t need to help Deidre with the children, I set to work on making the items that I would need in a new home. Perhaps one day, I would be able to retrieve the items from the farm house, if they were in condition to be used, of course.

Trotter is laid at my feet, sleeping in the warm spring sunshine. Trotter has become a lazy dog of late. There is no work for him now, but he is my constant shadow and I do love him for that.

I heard a flutter of wings and a load corak, which caused me to look up from my work. It was the raven, the druid’s companion and he had a scroll of parchment attached to one of his legs. I put down my sewing and he hopped onto my lap and allowed me to take the scroll. I carefully unraveled it, and my heart leaped for joy at the words it contained because I never thought that I would hear from Kili again. It was a letter from him, short, because the raven had to carry it, but it was the best thing I could ever have received at that moment in time.

The raven hopped to the ground as I read the letter. He apologised for not being in contact with me sooner, but the plans for retaking Erebor have been taking up much of his time. He misses me greatly and he hopes to come and see me soon. He finished the letter by writing his name in dwarven runes. Of course, it wasn’t a long letter, but it made my day and it restored some happiness to me that had been lacking before. I think it was the knowledge that he really did love me that uplifted me. There was hope after all!

I felt a like a giddy teenager as I wrote back a short response and I fed the raven and gave him some water to drink while he waited to go back, as it was only polite that he be rewarded with refreshments for his troubles. I wondered just when I was going to see Kili again. The only problem now was that time still dragged, as it had since I walked away from Bag End and that was the result of being unhappy and wanting the sadness to end. Now it dragged because I wanted to see him – the excitement of seeing him again and the longing combining to make the time pass as slow as possible because he was not here. I wanted to take him in my arms and have him place gentle kisses all over my mouth and throat. I wanted him here….

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Num num tummy! I am so glad she got a letter. Came just in time to lift her spirits! Felt a deep pang when I read of her having to set up house without him, though. Glad there's renewed hope now. :)

22. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Ahh, I too am glad she got a letter. It was wonderful to see her spirits restored. [face_love]

23. Space_Wolf

Mar 13, 2007
    This is going to be my last entry for a while as I need to outline the next lot. I wasn't able to get around to doing them during Nano. I'll have to wait until I've got over this cold and a medical appointment next week before I start working on them, though.

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Kili's Journal

6th Thrimidge

Fili and I were in Balin’s office, looking over the responses to Uncle Thorin’s letters to Dain and the heads of the other dwarf clans. We weren’t particularly interested in the responses over Erebor, at least not at that moment in time, though we both would be when the time came to go. We were interested in something which was a bit more personal to both of us. Within the same letters, Uncle had requested information about any high-born, eligible dwarf ladies in the settlements who might make a suitable wife for one or both of us. The prospect filled me with dread, because I still wanted Hilda. Of course, where Fili was concerned, he wanted to know what he was in for before they arrived and he was swamped with a slew of them all wanting him. I didn’t envy him and I just hoped by then that Mam had talked some sense into Uncle Thorin and dropped the whole thing where I was concerned. One could hope of course…. One could hope…

Most of the responses were directly from the “royal families themselves,” with a few more from common hopefuls. We only had responses from the Firebeards, Broadbeams, Stifbeards, Blacklocks and Stonefoots. We’d heard nothing at all from the Ironfists, but the Ironfists weren’t like the other dwarf clans. I shall explain that in another journal entry, I think. The women were all young enough, but –

“Urgh…this one is by far the worst of them, Kili,” Fili said, showing me a painting of the lady in question.

[​IMG]

“I’ve seen orcs that look more attractive, brother. I hope that you don’t get landed with her!” I agreed.

“Who says that I will end up marrying the lass?” Fili teased. “She might end up being your wife!”

I thought about it for a moment. “Maybe Uncle will understand if I tell him that I want a life of celibacy?” I replied.

“What, and leave your poor brother to deal with these women by himself?” Fili asked. “I’m shocked that you would consider such a course of action.”

I sighed. “Fili, now you know how I feel about Hilda,” I pointed out.

“I know. You’re always moping around the place because Uncle chased her away,” Fili replied, sympathetically. “Maybe he’ll change his mind once Mam has had a few words with him.”

“I hope so,” I replied, but I really didn’t hold out much hope for that. Perhaps eloping would provide a solution to my little problem?

“Who is the lass, anyway?” Fili asked, “So that I know to avoid her when she does arrive?”

“She’s called Brud, the daughter of Jarl Andarvi of Uri's folk,” I replied.

“A Firebeard?” Fili replied. “That just about fits…”

The Firebeards were the clan that were involved in the trouble with the elves of Dorith, or so I’ve been told. A shameful part of our history to be sure, and no one knows who is to blame for the trouble. Was it the elves, or the Firebeards? No one knows for sure, but it is the source of our enmity with the elves. The dwarves blame the elves, the elves blame the dwarves. Balin always told me that both were to blame equally for the rift and this was long before the troubles my Great grandfather, grandfather and Uncle had with Thranduil. It turns out that Thranduil is a descendent of those very elves. I wonder if Thingol had been his grandfather. It is an awkward situation if ever there was one.

“Em, this one looks nice,” I said, passing him a painting of a dwarf lass. I really wasn’t paying much attention to it, other than the fact that she was quite pretty, her hair braided and she had no beard because she wasn’t old enough to have one. She was also depicted as carrying a fine sword which looked like it was Bild’s work.

Fili took the picture from me and examined it closer than I had and he rubbed his forehead. “That’s Lyngheid!”

“Oh yeah…” I said, taking a better look at it. Because she was a close cousin of ours, she was out of the running of a match for either of us, mores the pitty. I think she would have made a good wife for my brother, otherwise. We knew that she was brave and honourable, which is what anyone would have expected from a child of Dwalin. We needed to marry outside of our own lines and only a very distant blood relative could ever be considered a suitable wife for a Durin. Because females were rare, it was very difficult to find one in the first place.

“You know, I’m beginning to understand why Uncle Thorin never got married,” Fili said, in frustration. “These women are ugly, even by dwarf standards.”

“Uncle Thorin never married because Bild won’t accept him,” I pointed out. “On account of Uncle Frerin, even though they’re both crazy about each other.”

“It’s frustrating, brother. I am to be king one day and the queen at my side must be beautiful.”

There was an obsession among the “royal families” (the line of Durin being an exception) of keeping the bloodlines pure. That wouldn’t be a problem apart from the fact that dwarf women are few and too much close breeding resulted in some very ugly babies and only compounded fertility problems. If you did the same too much with a line of livestock, you would soon breed it out of existence.

“Maybe they have wonderful personalities,” I suggested. I didn’t want to see my brother unhappy and I didn’t want him to be alone. “You’ve not even looked through them all yet.”

Fili threw a crumpled piece of parchment at me, which I dodged. “I’ve met most of the Firebeards and Stiffbeards, at least of their ruling line. None of them have wonderful personalities,” my brother said. “Your toast if any of them take a shine to you and no one else takes a fancy to you, Kili."

"It won't come to that and stop teasing me."

"Alright. Let me see the next one,” Fili said, a little disinterested.

“She’s not too bad,” I said, passing him a painting of a young dwarf lady. She was blonde, her hair braided in an elaborate style and richly dressed. “I think she would be nice.”

Fili took the picture from me and studied it. “She seems a little haughty to me, brother, and snobbish. I don’t want a lady who is too vain and obsessed with hoity-toity ideals. Who is she?”

“She is Arinnefia, a cousin of Jarl Alf of Tulin's folk,” I replied.

“Ugh… a Stiffbeard? Figures. They’re obsessed with money, pomp and appearance. If one of them were on the throne, either here or in Erebor, no one would ever hear the end of it. I met Jarl Alf once and he’s a right aristocratic clod. Thinks he’s Mahal’s gift to the Durins.”

“So she’s out then, brother,” I said, stifling a laugh.

“Definitely out, brother. But I suppose I have to humour them a little, just out of politeness. If one of the other ladies from one of the other clans expresses interest in me, then I’ll be glad of the distraction. I can politely but firmly refuse without causing any trouble, but you may not be so lucky, not that I want such a fate for you, little brother.”

“Hey, it might not come to that. Hilda?”

There are times when I just want to smack my brother and today really is one of those days. I didn’t say anything to him, just looked at him darkly. I think he caught my expression.

With a smirk, he handed me a letter. “This one is for you, brother.”

I took it from him and read through it. It was from a dwarf lady begging me not to marry Hilda and it expressed her undying affection for me. My jaw dropped, until I noticed that the handwriting of the runes looked wholly familiar.

“You put Ori up to that,” I said, resisting the urge to punch him in the mouth.

Fili laughed at me. “You should have seen the look on your face.”

“Ori is lucky I don’t skin him alive….”

Fili grinned at me. “Hey, it was worth it just to see the look on your face.”

“Try to be funny like that again, brother, and I will personally make sure that Mam and Uncle Thorin force you to marry either Brud or Arinnefia,” I said, holding up the pictures of the two ladies in question. “In fact, I’ll make sure that you’re forced to take all the unmarried women of those two clans into a harem.”

“You wouldn’t dare, Kili,” Fili said.

“Want to put a bet on that, big brother?” I threatened, with a wide grin on my face.

Fili smirked at me, and retorted. “You’d better hurry up and marry Hilda, or I could convince Mam and Uncle Thorin that you want to marry one of these charming ladies, especially that one.”

Fili laughed harder and so did I, eventually. I could see the funny side of it.

“Maybe you should have eloped with the elf maiden. This problem would have been sorted out then,” I said, a little too loudly.

Unfortunately, Uncle Thorin, Balin, and Mam chose that moment to enter the office and had over heard our conversation.

“Fili, Kili, this is no laughing matter,” Uncle Thorin barked at us both, especially me.

I shut up immediately and didn’t argue. It was disrespectful, I suppose, discussing the ladies in that manner. I felt ashamed.

“No harm has been done, Thorin,” Mam said, always trying to calm the situation but from her expression, I think she was angry with us both as well and she turned to Fili. “Have you looked through them all, son?”

“I have,” Fili replied, but we had been goofing around so much that we hadn’t bothered looking at the ones from Linnar's, Var's and Vigdis’ folk, but neither of us mentioned that because it would probably make Uncle and Mam angrier.

“Have you picked one?” Uncle Thorin asked, crossing his arms across his chest, and looking at Fili in a stern fashion. The way Uncle Thorin spoke said that he better had, or there was going to be trouble. I didn’t envy Fili, but I knew that it was only a matter of time before he would turn his attention to me. I had to admire Fili’s honesty, if nothing else.

“None appeal to me, Uncle,” Fili replied.

“Dis, Kili, Balin, would you mind leaving? Fili and I need to have a private talk.”

We waited in the library while Uncle Thorin attempted to talk some sense into Fili. I told Mam and Balin that Fili didn’t really like any of them, in the hope that they would talk sense into Uncle Thorin over the issue. I think they should just leave Fili alone. He will find a lady in his own time, if he wanted to marry.
    “Fili will be king one day. He has a responsibility to carry on the Durin line,” Mam said.

“You mean like Uncle does? If he had a wife, then this pressure wouldn’t be on Fili.”

“Now lad, that is uncalled for. You know that the situation with your uncle is complicated. It is unfair to say such a thing,” Balin said.

I think I was just angry with what had happened to be recently regarding my Hilda, and felt like having a go at everyone because of it.

“Balin’s right, Kili. And no matter what your problems are with your Uncle, you need to show him more respect than you are at the moment. I am just as disappointed as you are regarding what happened with Hilda, but you brought it on yourselves,” Mam said.

“I love her, Mam. I cannot deny my own feelings. I don’t understand why my Uncle pushed her away like that.”

“Lad, you are royalty and as such you need to behave in a manner which is not expected of common folk, even if they must behave in a noble fashion themselves. You may love this lass, but there are certain protocols that you must follow. That is why your Uncle is angry with ye. Give him time and he will calm down and you’ll be able to see her again, but if you behave badly, you’ll only delay your Uncle’s acceptance of her,” Balin said.

I suppose that what he did have to say made a lot of sense, but I didn’t want to hear it at that moment. I wasn’t thinking rationally at all. I think Dwarven puberty is to blame for it. For dwarves, the transition begins at forty years and lasts until we are in our 80s. Fili, Gimli, Ori and Lyngheid and Lofnheid are all going through it and it can drive you crazy.

“And Kili, you should not be using your feud with your Uncle as an excuse to be rude over Fili looking for a wife. I didn’t raise you to behave like this and neither did your Uncle. Your father, if he was still here, would be ashamed of ye, and your uncle, grandfather and great grandfather would be as well, not to mention Fundin.”

I had to concede that, but there had to be a way to compromise on the situation. I didn’t want Fili to be unhappy and stuck with a woman unsuitable for him and I said as much. I even suggested that we invite families with suitable choices for Fili to come to Ered Luin so that he could choose for himself who he wanted. That made Mam a little angry with me.

“I like your idea, Kili, but something like that would have to wait until we have retaken Erebor. We can’t host a lot of families here. The mines won’t support them. The Blue Mountains are too poor a place to hold such an event. If they saw the lodgings we kept, none would want to marry your brother,” Balin said. “Many might even turn away from the Durins completely and that would be a disaster for our race.”

“That is right,” Mam agreed. “These days the line of Durin must rely on its reputation alone. This is why your behaviour must be impeccable and above reproach. We cannot afford you to act irresponsibly, son.”

One thing puzzled me. If my family really were ashamed of their current situation, why did they want anyone to come here at all?

“But the clans have been invited to Ered Luin to discuss Erebor. If you don’t want them coming here, why invite them?”

“That is different, lad. It is about reclaiming what is ours. We have a responsibility to reclaim that mountain, and to reclaim Moria because without it our people have no future. It is not just about the pride of Durins, and it is not just a case of avenging ourselves upon the dragon, though some will no doubt see it in that light,” Balin explained. “If it was up to me, though, I would be happy with what we have. At least we have each other, but reclaiming Erebor means so much to your Uncle. I cannot dissuade him from it, even though I have tried countless times.”

“Besides, it is traveling season, now, son,” Mam said. “Some may choose to come to Ered Luin anyway.”

Balin chuckled at that. “Let’s hope they do,” he said. “Or Kili maybe next in line and we could have a hobbit for a queen.”

I really hoped that Uncle Thorin was not listening in on our conversation. He is angry enough with me already, but there’s nothing for it now. Words, once spoken, cannot be unsaid no matter how much we would wish otherwise.

“I have been thinking about that,” I said. “I want to visit her. Nothing can be done about Erebor until the clans are here to discuss it anyway.”

I had received Hilda’s reply that morning and I was excited about going to see her. I had been in my bed at the time, woken up by the raven banging his beak against the window pane. It had been the best news that I could have woken up to, other than waking up to find Hilda standing over me. Mam sighed, and looked at Balin.

“Go, lad, but Fili must stay – in case any of the ladies should come calling,” Balin said. Mam nodded her agreement.

“Your Uncle and I discussed this. He doesn’t completely approve, but he thinks that you should have a chance to make things up with her.”

That was the best news I’d had for ages. I went off to round up Ori, Gimli, Lyngheid and Lofnheid to see if they wanted to go with me. It was disappointing that Fili would not be accompanying us and we had spoken about going to see her over supper last night. But Fili had important duties in Thorin’s Gate. Ori wanted to apologize for what he had done in regards to the article and the two lasses wanted to see their friend. It was difficult for them because they knew so few women. Gimli wanted to get away from his mother for awhile.

I found Ori and Lofnheid kissing in an isolated corner of the library. Their relationship wasn’t really a secret, if you looked beyond appearances which most people didn’t often do. I’ve never asked if they have ever slept together. I don’t think they had, to be honest. Ori is very gentlemanly and quite shy. I wondered if Dwalin knew about his daughter and the young scribe? Of course, Ori had drawn everyone’s attention recently because of the Ered Luin Chronicle, but he was so quiet much of the time that you barely noticed his existence. It was probably what made him such a good reporter, and Lofnheid was even quieter than him.

I often guessed that there was something going on between the two of them, but finding them like that in a public place did come as a surprise. It was very tempting to tell Dwalin what his daughter and the young scribe had been up to, but I had no desire to see Ori lose his head. Now that I knew for sure about him and Lofnheid, and he knew that I knew, there would be no more of those stupid articles in the chronicle. We had come to an understanding, I think.

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    LOL over Kili and Fili teasing. I like Balin's sensibleness and wise advice. Aha! Now Ori knows a bit about what Kili is experiencing. Yup, the two definitely can come to an understanding. Yay on the visit with Hilda. :)

25. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    It was more than amusing to see Kili and Fili riffle through the prospective candidates for marriage. It's a hard burden on their shoulders, to carry on the line of Durin, and one that will be even harder until Erebor is retaken, unfortunately. :( I particularly liked Kili's conversation with Dis, as well - she was the perfect amount of sympathy and sage, practical advice. But now I am most excited to see Hilda and Kili meet again!! [face_love]

Eagerly looking forward to more. =D=