main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Hobbit

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by General Kenobi , Dec 18, 2007.

1. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    I just can't imagine them not going with Shore. It'd be like a filmmaker suggesting to make Star Wars without Williams.

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I am excited about del Toro. He's fantastic. I too am sure they will sign Shore to do the scores.

3. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    Well, don't get too excited. Looks like the film could be put on hold once again. The Tolkien Estate is now suing New Line saying they have not been paid their share of the profits.

You can read the rest here.

4. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    Howard Shore's score was absolutely breathtaking for LOTR and nobody could do the Hobbit's score better than he.

5. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003

Yes, I agree-in the later harry potter films, (especially in Goblet of Fire), it is QUITE noticable that it was a different composer...JW has a DISTINCT style, you can recognize him almost anywhere-after hearing Jaws, SW, IJ, Jurassic Park...but in Goblet Of Fire the sound RIGHT FROM THE OPENING SEQUENCE was totally different from JW's style...

I must say the ONE thing I was DISSAPPOINTED with was the LACK of use of Hedwig's theme...that theme seems the "defining" melody of Harry Potter...It's what everyone thinks of when they hear it-like Indiana Jones, or SW...In Order of the Phoenix, they used it a TINY BIT more, but STILL not enough, IMO...just at the beginning, and in little pieces here and there...

I hope Howard shore does Hobbit...I would LOVE to hear the Hobbit theme there, too...One thing I loved about his LOTR score were specific, and memorable themes-you could hear one, and say "oh, that's the theme for...this.." And I'm curious to hear what he comes up with for themes for the Dwarves, and for MIRKWOOD!

6. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Is all that capitalization really necessary?

(Incidentally, I love Patrick Doyle's take on "Hedwig's Theme." It's completely different from Williams's, yet respectful and evocative of the same magical world.)

7. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003

YES IT IS...:p

So, I'm getting nit-picked about my capitalization now? :rolleyes:

I do it to accent certain words or phrases I would stress, as if I was actually talking. MANY (that one was justified!) people do it! Especially on here!

I knew I couldn't post anything here without getting some kind of unneccessary criticism. Does it really have to happen in EVERY thread, whenever I venture my opinion? Nothing about my thread was unneccessary or overly critical. It's not a huge deal, but I should be able to write how I want...unless caps "offends you" in some way...;)

Anyways, I really don't think it's a big deal...Can't we just talk about Hobbit film score??? [face_peace] ;)

8. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Anyways,

I do agree about Patrick Doyle's take on Hedwig's theme though...I liked it too, definately...

In my opinion, I just think there could have been MORE of it...you know? Like a true theme, instead of JUST an "echo," mostly only at the beginning.

9. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Just an editorial note: The easy-to-use code or post-reply buttons offer the options of bold or italics, which are used much more commonly than ALL CAPS, which is generally interpreted as shouting.

10. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    ...Understood...Then I am truly sorry...And I deeply apologize to all who were offended by my use of capital letters...

For the record, it wasn't being done with any evil intent. Just a habit. I am sure that you all understand and are willing to let it pass as water under the bridge.

Thank you.

11. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    No problem. Let's all put on some hobbit music.

12. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    That's definitely a good sign!

13. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
  14. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    There was recently a live chat done with Guillermo del Toro and Peter Jackson. They answered several questions about The Hobbit including:

There you have it -- from the director himself.

The rest of chat can be read here.

15. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
  16. Kapoof

Kapoof Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2008
    Yep. Nice, i actually came to post that i've read Shore WILL be back. Doug Adams, who's writing a book on the LotR music, strongly hinted a months ago even that Shore would return for The Hobbit.

From what i gather, it doesn't sound like PJ and Shore were really at odds over the King Kong score. Sounds like the studio itself forced Jackson's hand. Doug Adams said something like "that which plagued King Kong will not be present with The Hobbit". So, it sounded to me like it was Universal studio heads.

17. Crash_Davis

Crash_Davis Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2006
    I came in here hoping to see some official confirmation! Thank the Valar!

=D=

*Puts on Flaming Red Hair
    [face_dancing] <--Hobbit jig! :)

18. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    Awesomeness.

19. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    It appears that Shore has already started working on the music. Here's part of an interview done with Del Toro:

Anthony: Some of the work which has begun, I understand Howard Shore is actually already at work on the music - is that correct?

Guillermo: Yeah. Yeah. That?s right.

Anthony: And how ?

Guillermo: ? I?m meeting with him tomorrow.

Andrew: Oh, OK. And is that you?re first?

Guillermo: Ah, no. I met him before. And I?ve admired him for even longer. But, my feeling is one of the most fortunate things that he?s back because if you have to single out the most important pieces of continuing that Universe, he certainly is one.

Anthony: Absolutely. So thus far what are your conversations with him like? I mean down to Do you feed him pages? Or are you..

Guillermo: No I think the best way to go about this is to keep the pages to ourselves and just allow people to come from different places ? where it be designers, you know. We have conversations ? I?ve had a great couple of conversations with John Howe and Alan Lee. And John has been feeding me reactions ? reaction sketches to those conversations. And I try not to react to those sketches yet. I try to allow him to feel he?s free to try anything he wants; ?cause then you are surprised. The same thing is with Howard. I think the parameters are pretty clear. And that is it has to belong to the same Universe, and the music of the three movies ? so.

Here's a link to the rest of the interview if interested.

20. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    Del Toro's statements about the importance of Shore's music are very encouraging. It's nice that there are still filmmakers out there who seem to actually care about the music in their films.

21. umyubyub

umyubyub Jedi Youngling

Nov 8, 2007
    I know I'm late chiming in. But having someone else do the score for the hobbit, would be like having someone else do the score for a Star Wars movie. Oh wait they did, and no offense as cool as it is they should have John do it. It doesn't have the same feel overall.

22. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Hehe, I was listening to the score to the Hobbit cartoon. Truly classic. I wonder how Shore and company plan on incorporating the little songs from the book into the film. The cartoon did it well enough for a cartoon, but it's hard imagining some of those poems with any other background theme now.

23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Weren't we supposed to have heard something by now? Script done and casting would start in December....

24. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    You'd think so, right? [face_worried]

25. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    [image=http://scifipedia.scifi.com/images/thumb/1/1d/Ian-mckellen.jpg/280px-Ian-mckellen.jpg]